Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Get me a shipping address and I'll send a case to the operating theater.

Least I could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

14 BAR RIFF posted:

So since I don't have to worry about rent, a couple hundred bucks in side jobs will handle the rest of my storage and bills.

How does AI feel about throwing in on a guzzoline fund for the last of the V6 Interceptors loaded with every last tool I can fit.

Book time says 20 hours to Nebraska.

Bet I can beat it.

In.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

14 BAR RIFF posted:

I mean since the plane ticket was already out there, the war rig needs a pursuit special. It's yin and yang, death and taxes, icy terror and raging hard ons, it just feels right.
The plane tickets were gonna be purchased by someone's frequent flier miles, but the idea of having a pursuit special is far, far better.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I DO say! :haw: That listing is local to me and I take paypal and cash app and can leave work early to secure motor.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oh, I don't care about thunder :glomp: edit: actually I'm glad you posted it here since I didn't see that Sims was trying to find a 350 Chebby.

Transporting the motor to Nebraska sure would be a problem. HOWEVER! depending on timing I'm headed to St. Louis, MO on the 24th of June and could leave a day early to drop the fucker off.

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 23, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do y'all have any inklings as to timing on the project? Before winter hits the midwest, obviously, but I had mentioned that I'd be able to take a triangle route to St. Louis and drop off an engine if it would help:
The plan would be to buy the thing, remove the engine, and haul the rest to a junker's.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
E-mail sent! The Roadmaster is useless to me besides being my foot in the door to this crazy plan. I love crazy plans.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
A double-post to ask a question to you all: Before I tow a loving whale home to yank out its guts, what're the odds that the following will fit in the back of a two door VW Golf:
  • SBC w/accessories
  • Bellhousing
  • Radiator and hoses
  • Flywheel
:ohdear: The suspension on the Golf is brand new as of last year, and I put heavy-duty springs in the back which raised the thing by about 1.5".

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I did just get a welder...

So the engine and all the accessories will weigh somewhere around 600 pounds, right? Bellhousing, flywheel, and rad I'm gonna guesstimate are gonna add another hundred, and according to Edmunds, the maximum payload of my chariot is 899 pounds when properly equipped, whatever the gently caress that means. The engine + all that other stuff + me = 900 pounds unless my guesstimates are off.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

88h88 posted:

Well I guess there's one way to find out isn't there?

Faerunner posted:

Gather a couple fat friends and cram them in the back for a joyride?

Friend of mine has a home gym and I'm hoping he has somewhere around 700 pounds-worth of weights in there. The most I've had in the back so far are two full bass guitar stacks with amplifiers which weighed in a grand total of ~500 pounds (not including me) without breaking a sweat, really. I could chuck the whole mess into the back of my band's 460-equipped Econoline, but the operating costs on that would be something like $20/hour because of its poor MPG.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

That Roadmaster has a completely different transmission (700R4 or 4L60e I think?) than the 1951 truck - and not only that it's auto vs manual. I'm not sure why the bellhousing is on the list?

Regardless, it will fit if you don't care about your interior or suspension, for sure. Getting it in while it's hanging from an engine crane may not work out well due to the extra height.

I do think an LT1 1951 truck would be awesome, just saying that the transmission stuff from the donor is probably irrelevant here. It also has a flexplate and a torque converter, not a flywheel.
Back the Golf up on ramps, blammo. And no, I don't really care about the interior, and I can replace the rear suspension for something like ~$75 if anything goes wrong (what could go wrong?). As for the bellhousing/flywheel nonsense, I was just following orders without putting two and two together and I don't think I ever told Sims about the Roadmaster being an automatic. :doh: Let's fix that:

Hey Sims, the Roadmaster's an automatic so the transmission components won't work; Ken just said so :buddy: I imagine you still want the engine, though.

Edit: buddy's home gym has ~700 pounds of weights, so test run is a go!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Loading it in will be something of a fabricobble (thanks for that word, btw) adventure since the only strong dude I know is TheFonz and my back sucks at the moment. What I'm most worried about is what to do with the rest of the loving car after I've robbed it of its treasures. I could just drop it off at a junkyard or leave it by the side of the road since there's no title, but that's rude.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

scuz what year is your golf?

2002 2.0L engine code AVH why? :buddy:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

I've got an owners manual from my dear departed 2005 GL, but I just realized I got rid of my old MkIV Haynes. Anyway I can confirm you'll be able to shove all that poo poo into the car, the capacity in the MkIV is pretty big once you fold down the rear seats. You're gonna want to put as much weight forward as you can, to try to keep the car from being too overloaded over the rear wheels, and even with the cushions re-positioned the rear seat won't lay totally flat. If you can strap the engine onto the back of the rear seat with some tie downs or jam something in behind it to hold it forward, that will help. Also obviously drive slowly and carefully, no sudden hard turns, etc.
Yep, mine's the GL of the MkIV line and I've already moved the vestigial back seats to my attic, lots of room! I found the tie-down anchor points and I've still got the manual and the Bentley service and repair manuals :) I believe in this little guy, just gotta get the timing worked out and figure out whether the Roadmaster is still for sale or not heh.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Augh, I'm back. Sorry for the hiatus, I had a frantic-as-gently caress weekend.

I left the dude a message on Friday asking after the Roadmaster, whether I could haul it away on Tuesday (tomorrow), and never heard back. Come back to work on Monday, refresh the ad, and the motherfucker found the title and wants $800 now. Good news is that someone could drive it all the way to the job site, bad news is that it's $400 more. I've also just noticed that the car's location has changed. Dunno what to make of that.

Edit: This is probably good news since you'd have a complete donor on-site that just went through a ~4 hour test drive to make sure everything's okay. All we need now is the money and someone to drive it there. I would drive it there, I would need to find a way home, though.

scuz fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 6, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
The SBC in my area that we had targeted isn't going for what I can afford, and at this point, I've run out of time and money :( I'm a bad AI'er and feel bad. I sent an email to sims expressing my regrets.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am so excited for this :five:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

ReelBigLizard posted:

Being productive is the best therapy.

Can we team up with some video production goons and make our own 14-inch / warboys themed roadkill-a-like youtube show where we send 14 around the country in a war-rig RV, buying random clunkers and getting them running? I'd patreon that poo poo in a heartbeat.

Have you seen any of the programming on Velocity TV? Something like what you've described would be a great way to liven up their line-up.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Applebees Appetizer posted:

*googles skinwalkers*

:stare:

Did the same. Exact. Think. ":stare:" and all.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
My balls are just the bluest.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Small towns :allears:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
:woop: :siren: :parrot: :jiggled: :dance: :jiggled: :parrot: :siren: :woop:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

I have been saying he should just travel the land righting the automotive wrongs!

He'd at least have to get his cat first. And we'd have to find him like a semi truck or something. Oh! With a travelling hoist in the back.

....who has money? We have ideas.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Nah dude I've been in -5*F so I know what cold is.
Hello from Minneapolis, Minnesota, home of the polar vortex which turned us into the coldest place on the planet for a whole week!

-5 doesn't even get recess cancelled 'round here :clint:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

djdanno13 posted:

Peh, I went to school when it was -50. It was dark inside the school because it was so cold the fluorescent lights wouldn't turn on all the way.
See that's the kinda poo poo I'm talkin' about. Metal as heck.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
MUY BRILLANTE!!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Locator posted:

Dear lord. I'm glad I'm not you when you decide to remove that. :v:
At least he missed his eyebrows!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The concept of it being -10C and completely clear just fucks with my brain. Especially at midday. I've only ever been in -10C once and gently caress that poo poo.
Was a bright, sunny -2F here in Minneapolis today! Granted that was with the windchill but still, it's nearly properly cold around here now and it's swell.

In 2 hours or so, I'm gonna be all bundled up in my overalls on my back under a van to see why it won't start! :buddy: I'm 99% sure it's cuz there's ice in the fuel lines and it got there because the filler neck is busted and allowed moisture in to the tank and well there ya go.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

djdanno13 posted:

So we really need ai help on this one. Online sources talk about moving the steering box over a max of 1.5 inches. Apparently they were using different headers however and the closest we can set the box right now is 3 inches which is literally touching the header. Take a look at the included pics but the biggest issue by far is the angle on that pitman arm. It's maxed out. Short of getting a new manifold does anyone have any ideas? This is like project ending type poo poo right here so we really need all brain power on this one. Thanks guys.

Bash those headers in.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, what kind of fabrication equipment is available?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Honestly it sounds to me like a regular-rear end semi air-horn alongside a fog horn.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Previa_fun posted:

Drugs are good and when you do em people think that you're cool. :colbert:

Drugs are neat, and you can buy 'em relatively cheap.

The first time I did shrooms I barfed like nuts, got driven home to my lovely apartment, and once I got into bed I could have sworn I was transported back to my childhood bedroom and all I could think about was how awesome my mom was and how I missed her a bunch. Laugh/cried myself to sleep. Great times!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

The Old Ones can take many forms

Including "dinner"

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
That guy in that Roadkill episode made it look so easy!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

The stubborn spirit sees the logical alternatives for what they are, and makes sure to wave at them as they pass by.

I'm gonna take up cross-stitching so that I may have that as a cross-stitch.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Astonishing Wang posted:

You can't just skip step 3, that's where the magic happens!
It's the internet video equivalent of the old pig trick where you set two pigs loose in a crowded area, one of them is labelled "1" and the other is labelled "3".

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Aww man, MSP is a sweet airport. I'm a bit biased (it's my hometown airport).

This is an awesome thread and everything that happened in it is awesome. I'm looking forward to Rosie reunion pics :3:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
daddy needs his medicine

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

ExplodingSims posted:

As I proved you can lug at least a 70lb box of crap with you on a Greyhound bus, so long as you start your journey at a sketchy gas station that doesn't bother to weigh your luggage and just hands you a claim check. :v:
I only just got your new red text :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
There might not be a Florida left to which to move a poo poo show.

• Locked thread