Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

everdave posted:

loving with some rusted rear end split rims in a field somewhere without a safety cage

I know this is from a couple pages back, but my father and I once got it in our heads to replace the front tires on his 70yo MF304 backhoe with only hand tools and an air compressor. The rims were rusty as gently caress (including the lock rings) and in the end we decided to put the one wheel we'd gotten apart back together and leave well enough alone.

I clenched very hard when the bead popped back into place.

E: These wheels are supposed to be ballasted too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ExplodingSims posted:

then it's time to put the biggest engine possible in it. :getin:

So, we're talking a large modular block with cylinders that you can comfortably stand in, and runs on a highly viscous byproduct of petroleum distillation?

It's a big old chevy, there's probably room.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

What else are you going to use all that bed space for?

To hold the hundreds of gallons of bunker fuel it'll consume on a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I fail to see how that's a problem at all.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Tommychu posted:

Look guys, we can talk about which 4 cylinder Perkins is the correct engine for the truck when he's got it safely home. Until then let's focus on the important stuff.
:v:

I corrected a glaring error in your post, hope you don't mind.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's not like I'm about to suggest an AD4 203, even though one would probably outlast that truck by several hundred years.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 16, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
But this truck is in Nebraska, where I'm sure old Massey Fergussons are common and he could probably find a perkins mated to a hydrostatic transmission. Then there'd be 4 pedals and two sticks.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Veeb0rg posted:

Then lets throw in a 2 speed rear end as well.

By the time we're done, this truck is going to have so many pedals, sticks, and knobs.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
With 14 chained to the grill wailing on guitar.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

rndmnmbr posted:

If there was one thing you could absolutely trust 14" to do, it was walk into the mouth of madness and bring something hosed up but functional back out.

The replacement engine, a Chevy 292, was waiting on them when they arrived. 14" just shrugged, downed another foil package of Chinese off-brand herbal ADHD medications, and said "It's a start."

Where he acquired a Wärtsilä RTA96C in the middle of Nebraska - let alone the eight Lycoming radials powering the massive roots blower feeding air into the monstrosity - we will never know. The 292 did get used, powering the fuel pump delivering 637.3 gallons of nitromethane per minute the hulk required. We did discover where the twin Pratt & Whitney F119 turbojet engines powering the turbos came from - the Army still tells tales of the madman with an impact driver they couldn't stop with a tank that exciting July night. And surprisingly, it all fit in the truck, although lesser men would be driven mad with just a glimpse of the non-Euclidean geometry under the hood.

The steering wheel in the cab was the tiniest wheel they could order out of China, in order to fit the bewildering array of shifters surrounding the driver's seat. He started with the gearbox from the ship, tied to a vast array of 15-speed truck transmissions, hydrostatic drives stolen in broad daylight from three different tractor shops, and Lenco planetary gearsets swiped from research labs in Japan.

No one else had the balls to crawl into the driver's seat. But 14", when he goosed that big ship engine and eased out on all three clutches, the steel Abrahms tank treads that replaced the rear wheels would leave burnout marks six inches deep on reinforced concrete.

Now that's a war rig.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You have to keep the parking brake setup exactly as it is.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Where do I insert my :20bux:?

E: Get both cars and drive them to Nebraska ala: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsxRiI5jAC8

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 20, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ExplodingSims posted:

It has staggered motor mounts, and requires fabbing up some angled brackets and OTHER STUFF THAT'S TOO HARD TO DO IN A FIELD.

You've obviously never had to repair broken farm equipment in a field with a generator, an arc welder, and a battery-powered angle grinder. That's all you need.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

kastein posted:

Remember that those brake shoes are absolutely 150% definitely asbestos and should be treated with all due respect. I'd probably get a set from a junkyard and have them relined, and then clean everything religiously with a pressure washer in someone else's yard*.

* seriously though, you don't want the overspray or runoff full of asbestos dust anywhere either. It's just a lovely lovely thing to have to deal with.

Don't forget to wear a mask, and using a spray bottle full of water will be better than pressure-washing. Mist until it's soaked, then gently wipe up as much as you can, wrap that in another rag/paper towel, let it dry, and sacrifice a can of any cheap resin to encapsulate it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
While your suggestion is the safer course of action, they can probably get away with N95 masks as long as they aren't stirring up dust and smearing it on the mask. Those are the most commonly available at home improvement stores. If anyone has facial hair, either shave or make sure the mask fully covers it.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Build a cradle for the engine and strap it to the hood like a gutted deer. :black101:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If there's any media coverage of this at all, be it mass, indie, or whatever, it must include this post:

rndmnmbr posted:

If there was one thing you could absolutely trust 14" to do, it was walk into the mouth of madness and bring something hosed up but functional back out.

The replacement engine, a Chevy 292, was waiting on them when they arrived. 14" just shrugged, downed another foil package of Chinese off-brand herbal ADHD medications, and said "It's a start."

Where he acquired a Wärtsilä RTA96C in the middle of Nebraska - let alone the eight Lycoming radials powering the massive roots blower feeding air into the monstrosity - we will never know. The 292 did get used, powering the fuel pump delivering 637.3 gallons of nitromethane per minute the hulk required. We did discover where the twin Pratt & Whitney F119 turbojet engines powering the turbos came from - the Army still tells tales of the madman with an impact driver they couldn't stop with a tank that exciting July night. And surprisingly, it all fit in the truck, although lesser men would be driven mad with just a glimpse of the non-Euclidean geometry under the hood.

The steering wheel in the cab was the tiniest wheel they could order out of China, in order to fit the bewildering array of shifters surrounding the driver's seat. He started with the gearbox from the ship, tied to a vast array of 15-speed truck transmissions, hydrostatic drives stolen in broad daylight from three different tractor shops, and Lenco planetary gearsets swiped from research labs in Japan.

No one else had the balls to crawl into the driver's seat. But 14", when he goosed that big ship engine and eased out on all three clutches, the steel Abrahms tank treads that replaced the rear wheels would leave burnout marks six inches deep on reinforced concrete.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
All things automatic should be burned at the stake for automotive heresy.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That's what the cables going through the dash are for.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Actually, the automatics in my parents' Audi Q5 and Porsche Boxster are pretty nice.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

tater_salad posted:

Dual clutch shifters are faster at gear changes than anyone with a manual can be.

They are, and both vehicles shift so smoothly you barely feel them.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Elephanthead posted:

Working on rusty poo poo in the snow if giving me bad flashbacks.

Wrenching in the snow is an important part of playing in the snow.

Just imagine, the unholy cries of an engine clearly too small for the man behind the wheel breaks the silent clear winter morning in a Walmart parking lot in Bumfuck, Nowhere. A large cloud of fresh snow being disturbed by something large appears. Like some kind of demon, breathed in rusty steel, the old dump truck materializes from the cloud.

Suddenly, the engine's screams are almost down out by the sounds of the suspension and frame flexing, as the dark figure driving the beastly vehicle slams it into a sideways skid, cutting a doughnut through the otherwise-empty lot.

Finally, the vehicle comes to a stop. Several light poles have been cut down like wheat during harvest in its circular path of destruction and the entrance to the store is buried under a mix of asphault and snow.

There's still another half of parking lot left, the engine starts screaming again.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Oct 11, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I've never seen a jug of premixed coolant at an autoparts store. Is that an American thing, or a "We don't get chilly weather" thing?

I mix to -40C and worry that it's not enough some winters, thusly, I always top up with the rest of the jug.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If I went to my local Napa and asked for premixed coolant they'd probably stare at me like I was nuts and then tell me to use a garden hose and a bucket like a normal person.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Pham Nuwen posted:

A garden hose? That's loving criminal, man; distilled is only like $0.99/gallon and then you don't get lovely mineral deposits inside your cooling system.

My Studebaker was turbo-hosed with 40+ years of garden hose water; luckily vinegar is also like $0.99/gallon and solves the problem pretty well.

The water here isn't hard. It does have a lot of chlorine and flouride in it though. At the farm I'd just use well water, but that water was as close to pure as well water gets.

Where I work on my vehicles though, there's a RO system and when I finally go to flush and refill the cruiser I'll be using that.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Had to buy some coolant today to top off my car. Was legitimately shocked to see pre-mix on the shelf at Canadian Tire, a little separate from the concentrate, guess it does exist here.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Well, 50/50 is good to like -36, as shown by that diagram. That covers most Canadians because most live as far south in Canada as possible and there are plenty of places where it rarely goes below -20C.

Where I live we have weeks that are that closer to -40 so 60% coolant 40% water is basically a must.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Veeb0rg posted:

Came home from work today and my neighbor had this on his trailer..

Don't know anything about the truck beyond the pics. Reminded me of this thread.

Pretty cool of your neighbour to buy a parts truck for this endeavour.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Cold? COLD!?

Two years ago the blower motor on my car died, in the middle of winter. I had to drive for three days in -25C weather with no heat with the windows down to keep the windshield from icing over. That was cold.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Literally any machinist with a scrap piece of stock and a lathe should totally be able to turn out an adapter in a few minutes.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Why would they need a die?

Seriously, this should be the kind of job you drop off in the morning and pick the completed part up a few hours later next time you pass by the shop.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 1, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Which machinist did you go to? The one with the glass-front, clean, and well-organized shop full of the latest equipment or the run-down cinderblock building with no real signage, just piles of metal and rusty parts everywhere and a guy smoking inside while standing over a barrel of oil.

It's the latter you want to go to. Bring some beers and tell him your story.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You have literally been failed by Gandalf himself and I'm not sure what to suggest now.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
As much as I love the milwaukee light obelisk of freedom, I can't help but wonder if its cost was greater than a new fuel pump for the causemaro.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I think he's earned an inch because of this.

All hail 15 Inchmortan Joe.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If the Jeep is officially dead I want a piston and a quart of whatever is in the crankcase.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It just drove the longest 1505 miles of its life, chugging gas and oil stabilizer. The plugs are probably fouled, and when you think about it, that means he should do plug wires because those are probably bad too. But hahaha, wait, the ignition coil's likely older than most highschoolers and the distributor could probably use a looking at and...

There's no way the horse ain't lame.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Nov 2, 2016

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
i'm 6'3", and about half of that in leg, from my rear end to my knee when sitting is probably over 2', so just picture someone who literally cannot fit in a bus seat lengthways as opposed to width.

I commuted from Kitchener to Toronto (about an hour each way) every day, on a Greyhound bus. For two years.

I'd rather walk.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Pham Nuwen posted:

Also it's way easier to bring your personal supply of whatever drugs you prefer on the bus.

People bring drugs on planes, people do drugs on buses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Take the train, the seats actually have room and it's generally enjoyable even in cattle class.

• Locked thread