Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
everdave
Nov 14, 2005
If you truly round up 14 inch garbage dick and do this I will donate at least $50 to the effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Garbage Dick posted:

I'd be willing to take a crack at installing them to be honest, I'm aware of the risks and could and would treat them like they were actively trying to kill me. The rubber was my concern.

Listen I am all for absurd hijinx but loving with some rusted rear end split rims in a field somewhere without a safety cage? If you die I want it to be funny not all explodey (I don't want you to die)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tommychu posted:

Yeah it's a matter of thorough cleaning, inspection and making sure everything's seated (also peeling the ring off without putting too much tension on it, a sprung lock ring is bad). It's one of those things where it's really easy to kill yourself but it's also really easy to not kill yourself.

efb, 13" knows what's up, they are what they are. Any tire is dangerous anyway, of the 6 serious blowout incidents I had to do paperwork for 4 were radial tires on drop center wheels.

Yes but then there is the matter of doing it in a field in the middle of nowhere with possibly inadequate tools. But I digress can we get this go fund me going or what?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

You Am I posted:

I used to help my dad replace the tyres on his truck which ran split rims. As long as you clean the rust off (usually used a drill with a wire brush attachment) and deflate the tube before removing the tyre, it's all good. Never had any issues.

Yes but there are plenty of videos in dedicated split rim handling shops of the mofos exploding I'm just saying this is a random eBay dump truck that is going to be towed to god knows where and blah blah last I will say on it just make this happen I am ready to donate to this cause

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
This will be 14 Inch Garbage Weiner's "On The Road"

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just let me know how to donate

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

ExplodingSims posted:

So, I've been talking to Dick. We've been brainstorming things to do for this trip, and after seeing how many goons want to make this happen, we came up with IDEAS
We want to give something back for your donation, more than just the sheer entertainment value of this trip, so, for your donation, you can get REWARDS.

Yes, we put together a GofundMe thingy, https://gofundme.com/25ctjtx8

Yes, for your money you can get a cheap post card, or a lovely piece of paper that Dick's blasted with his creative juices. or a surprise art

Hey, if you want to come along, and provide transportation, I'll happily pay for gas!

By God, we're gonna get this done. There is no plan for failure, either this works, and we make in the Florida in one piece, or we break down in the midwest and become farmers!

DONATED

everdave fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 21, 2016

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I didn't donate to this so he could pick up the phone and have the drat thing shipped I WANT DRAMA

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Waited for 40 minutes, no reply from dude. Going home.

That is bullshit reply with violence

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Look man when do I get to hit the road already

Just start heading his way and keep us updated on your progress

Edit: don't ask me why I was looking but there are a few BiTurbos on eBay hovering around the $1200 mark at current bidding

everdave fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 9, 2016

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
14 is going to miss this. We have to get him out there. Have you asked how much the VW is?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Panaflex posted:

I know most are freaking out that 14 is missing the bulk of this but I sincerely believe putting it in the big truck and getting all the fiddly bits to play nice for a long haul to Florida is going to require as many creative minds as possible. We're trying to get 14 on a bus or some other form of transport in the other thread since savior Jeep is causing problems.

Have you asked about the VW? Willit fit in the back of the truck? We gotta get 14 on this emergency wise even if he got on a greyhound now it's 24 hours

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Hey do you have any turn by turn directions for him from interstate or are y'all in touch?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
From 14:

"What bodily fluid shall I fill this with?"

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

14 BAR RIFF posted:

OK YOU KNOW WHAT BAMBI MAYBE YO MAMA GOT LIT THE gently caress UP BECAUSE SHE SPOOKED A DUDE WHO SHOUODNT HAVE GUNS NATURE XAN gently caress ITSELF WITU A RAKE

Are there not animals in the PNW? Man I could go on my back deck and sit and shoot my choice of raccoons possum skunk and maybe some hedgehogs if I wanted to and I am in a neighborhood 1 block from a university. But those socks look nice!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I know nothing about these type tires but a quick google shows plenty available for shipping from lots of places what am I missing? Just curious about it

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Haha its still up to Danno to decide what his price will be and how I'll be able to cover it because I really don't expect him to just hand over a car for some internet cred no matter my history with a itchy. tfasty just like it.

We are all friends on the interwebs we can make this happen!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
This is really happening! I know it is too early to be planning new 14 adventures but I'm kinda sorta planning new 14 adventures over here

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

14 BAR RIFF posted:

brb brokedick mountain

I. CAN'T. QUIT. YOU!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

empty baggie posted:

It's supposed to snow here in east TN this weekend but I don't believe it. Thanks for the reminder of what snow on the ground looks like. Without photo evidence, for several months I had forgotten that it gets that cold in some places.

Close to you reporting it was 78 today but reminded of last winter when we got hit with a ice storm and entire cities without power for 2+ weeks

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Lord help me I'm making a deposit on the Fastback

HELL YES! Keep the donations and treats flowing people this thread is just now starting!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I am so happy this feels weird

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
what does danno want for the VW? and can you deliver it to TN?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Happy Birthday 14" Dave! Also remind me again ExplodingSims just what the hell you want this truck for? Not that it matters.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Fuckint lol the radio just said "and we won't focus on the weather too much because theres only so many ways to say its cold."

Also followed by a disclaimer wind chill is currently -30° and potentially deadly

Potentially. I'd take that as a challenge

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

And in that one moment you were truly alive

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Awesome! Do you think the other 3 will go better now that you've done 1?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
We can't stop now please!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
a tiny glimmer of hope!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Dan has reviewed the complete list of every fiddly thing left and thinks together we can pull this off at the buzzer

We believe in you both!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Brakes about ready to bleed

hell yes son

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I have the best cat gone for however long she loses her mind can't wait to see me. Let's me carry her like a baby and comes like a dog when I call. But raised her since about 3 weeks old

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

katka posted:

Well I finally caught up on this thread after spending several days reading it. Sad I missed it while it was happening but it was still a hell of a ride.

Awesome work everyone! And thanks for bringing us on of the best threads on SA in some while. Also glad 14" decided to do the sensible thing and head home for a well earned rest. I was getting scared for a bit he was going to try to drive it to FL with questionable brakes.

This thread has really made me want to get out and work on my own projects. If only I wasn't so drat broke and busy all the time. It did get me to finally watch fury road though. Man that was an awesome movie.

P.s. 14" how happy was you kitty to see you?

Dude you need to make it over to the Dr. Deglove thread. Enjoy the ride!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I sort of envy people who can experience the 14 INCH RIDE from the start.

To think about all that one has to devour in one sitting. I think back to it happening real time and my wife picking up my phone and asking me who was the "14" I was texting in the middle of the night. Awkward.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

DICK DICER posted:

I need to get to Nebraska.

Yes you do. Please do this.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I see that sort of truck posted all the time with 250k on them and no one bats an eye. If it has been maintained well then it's fine. If no one cares for it then you can get plenty of 100k mike vehicles for $3k

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

beep-beep car is go posted:

He still posts to the Facebook group but we don't "understand" him, and since we stopped (or at least, reduced) our enabling, he won't post here much anymore.

What is the fb group? I am friends with Dave on fb

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thanks, I'm in.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I would check the bike with wheels off and bubble wrapped together or whatever he can come up with for first checked item and check a 50 pound bag of supplies for the second ($15). Backpack worn on the front packed tonthe gills is how I did the greyhound before (to keep thieves out of it). drat that ride is gonna be miserable!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I think you still have people here rooting for you and willing to believe man. Get on that bus tomorrow.

• Locked thread