Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glyph
Apr 6, 2006

<Ron Paul.gif>

Holy wow did this thread go from great to greatester in like a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

quote:

Subject passed out prior to arrival. Problem solved.

:allears:

Please don't take this as a challenge, Dave. Somehow I doubt they'll assist you home should you find a sidewalk comfy.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Since we're tossing guesses around, I think you lost the bead seal of a tire (on... something- the parts runner jimmy?) and couldn't get it to *foof* back seated, but you got it to seat using a ratchet strap, or a comealong or somesuch around the circumference of the tread.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

What's going on in that photo? Pining about a dusting?

As best I can tell, the truck wasn't anywhere that would be in the background of that photo- the van isn't in the pic, and the van was gutted right nest to the dump truck.

IDGI :iiam:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

He'll have to slide around on his back in the snow and get all wet and cold. Most people consider that "not fun."

Ah, just what I'd thought. I was confused by the posts assuming the truck had moved under its own power.

That said, I have faith in '14. After all he's the one who posted [paraphrased] "it's raining, I can finally get some work done :v:"

e:

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Finally raining in Valentine I can get some loving work done

glyph fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 9, 2016

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Rotten Cookies posted:

Can you take that arm from the box and flip it?

Was coming to post this.

E: if you can make the flip happen with a conical washer and a locknut, give me your best guesstimate of the angle and I can make (Stainless?) and overnight the cone washer.

E2: or drop ship a drag link and I can make that a work instead. I have a pretty good shop at work.

glyph fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 10, 2016

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

djdanno13 posted:

So we really need ai help on this one. Online sources talk about moving the steering box over a max of 1.5 inches. Apparently they were using different headers however and the closest we can set the box right now is 3 inches which is literally touching the header. Take a look at the included pics but the biggest issue by far is the angle on that pitman arm. It's maxed out. Short of getting a new manifold does anyone have any ideas? This is like project ending type poo poo right here so we really need all brain power on this one. Thanks guys.

So, I've dug into this a little.

Since I'm unclear on the names of these things, I'm going to refer to the arm between the yellow circle and the red circle as the "pitman arm". The linkage with dashed green on it, between the red circle and the blue circle I'm going to call the "drag link".

Earlier I was talking about flipping the entire pitman arm to connect to the drag link on the frame rail side of the arm. like so:

Unfortunately, it's not that easy, the drag link is 'handed', the current one won't work.

As best i can tell under the nut (yellow in the picture above) is a splined ('chevy' splined- 32 splines total, but at 36 spline spacing with four fat splines at 90* intervals) hole that is not tapered. Is there clearance for the arm to go the other way, so it schwanks towards the frame rail? Also, as best I can tell, there isn't a taper (6 degree for chevy?) anywhere on the pitman arm, instead there's a ball that's pressed and peened into the pitman arm.

If the arm can flip around the splining without hitting the steering box or the frame rail, you'll need a new drag link that has a twist the opposite direction left vs right handed?. If the arm CAN NOT flip on the splining, as I see it, you have a few options:

* Press the ball out (details linked above), which sounds like a bit of a bitch, and press a new ball in (near the bottom of linked page) on the frame side of the pitman arm. As an aside, what happened with the ball end dealie for the clutch fork? That site, classicpartsusa has those too..

* Give up on the pitman arm you've got right now and order a pitman arm (ideally a FLAT one, without the schwank the current one has so you can set it up with the large end of the tapered hole towards the frame rail, but, if you can work with the zig going towards the frame rail side, you could run it inside out) from a 54+ steering box with a tapered drag link hole (as best as I can tell with a quick search, the splining is the same, should swap right over) and use an adjustable tie rod sleeve to deal with the left handed nature of the drag link you'll need- I say this assuming the drag link hits the steering linkage proper via a tapered hole (the interface in the blue circle above).

It's really early, and there isn't any caffeine in me, but does that make any sense?

Also, I have 24/7 access to a fully stocked machine shop so please, don't hesitate to ask. Dave, I sent you a friend request on Facebook yesterday maybe. I'm Dan H.

E: Could this work? http://www.classicpartsusa.com/category/1951_Truck_Parts_Pitman_Arms
E2: no, it won't, or not well, that's a short rear end arm for a power steering conversion.

E3: if you get the hole to hole length right, this should do ya, tapered for a tie rod end on both sides: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Corvair-Pitman-Arm,37582.html

E4: of course you'll still have to fab the mount for the steering box itself, but that seems easy enough...

glyph fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 10, 2016

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Lollll I just went outside barefoot and said drat its nice today and checked weather and its 20F

Time for battle :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPKs2Quk6Ts

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Homework:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ua+...banks+sign+club

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

I wend for the GIS and stopped at "Jacob's ladder pie".

That's WAY better.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

c355n4 posted:

What happened to Step 3?! Or was that censored?

This is like watching art. Performance art.

Watch part 4 to find out!

Dave, you're a madman, keep fighting the good fight :patriot:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Merry Christmas Dave.

And yep, even here in NY we're getting fringe amounts of smowmygoodness 2016 :supaburn: hysteria.

E: for gently caress's sake, TWC has Tuesday in valentine at 46 degrees and sunny.

E2: that's real 'merican degrees, nonea them sissy rear end moon unit ones.

glyph fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 25, 2016

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Can you bodge something out of tandem length bicycle brake cables and something like 'knarps' as a cable end?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I still cant comphrend how someone could be that hosed up on cocaine to even consider the idea.

Does coke even do that? PCP maybe, but...

:stonk:

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Oh, huh, I just assumed all Biolites charged.

Same. If you have to charge anyway, might be worth going a little cruder, saving a couple bucks and picking up something like a sierra stove that you can swap out an AA. http://www.zzstove.com/sierra.html

Ok, a LOT cruder.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

DICK DICER posted:

700x32 but the bonerangers are 35. I'm thinking about the 42s, they should fit just fine

Boner anger. I am absolutely co-opting that.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Dagen H posted:

I think it's "bone ranger", a parody of Bontrager.

VVV welp

Oh, I know it's bontrager. I've actually met Keith, amazing dude. He's absolutely awesome AI poo poo- he made his name unpinning double wall 700c road rims, cutting them down, and rerolling them in a 26" diameter for mountain bike dudes because there weren't solid MTB rim options back in the day.

I'm going with boner anger. Right along with motor-bacon.

:dong::arghfist:

glyph fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Sep 27, 2017

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Running a cotton ball inside a tire is a great way to find if there's something poking through the carcass.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

DICK DICER posted:

Every flat so far has been due to a different, located and corrected puncture

At the risk of beating a very dead horse- are you clocking the tire to the rim when you put it back on? Lining up the label to the valve isn't just an OCD thing; it makes it easier- only two areas to check- to find a burr in the tire if you have a flat.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Applebees Appetizer posted:

What is that DeWalt thing?

Worklight, charger, baby monitor (seriously, it sounds like it lets you remote in to see if your goons are actually working, or if all the power tools are in the bag).

http://www.dewalt.com/products/gear-and-equipment/jobsite-lighting-and-flashlights/20v-max-tool-connect-cordedcordless-led-area-light/dcl070

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

Eh, the list is pretty small at this point.

It's basically:
Wire up the lights
Finish the brakes
Hook up coolant
Fill with fluids
And time permitting, routing the exhaust.

Wow, I didn't realize it was that close. Has the engine run since cobbled together a harness and fuel pump last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

What are you talking about? That's been done for a while now. It's already ran last year.

Must have missed the follow up, I only seem to remember a triumphant late night YouTube video Dave had posted of it running, then the follow up video the next day showing just how kludged it was.

Sounds like there was more after that with the truck running with the van engine, guess I'd missed that. Sorry :shobon:

• Locked thread