Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Problem description: Component store is corrupted and I can't run Windows Update.

Attempted fixes: sfc /scannow fails saying "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation." Earlier today dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth said there was repairable component store corruption; now it says there is no component store corruption, yet both /scanhealth and /restorehealth continually fail saying "Error 14098 the component store has been corrupted." I'm lost.

Recent changes: Nope

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

System specs: Core i5 6600K, ASRock Z170M, 16GB DDR4 2400, Radeon R9 380 4GB, 250GB Samsung SSD

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Some more background...this is my gaming PC (obviously) and I haven't played any games in over a month. It's just been sitting here doing nothing. It otherwise works fine. The last update it installed was KB3139907 on March 2nd. I've read that others had issues with this update but there's seemingly no way to uninstall it.

wicka fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I've found the two lines in the CBS logs responsible for the corruption:

2016-04-24 12:49:46, Error CSI 00000009@2016/4/24:16:49:46.400 (F) base\wcp\identity\id_baseidentity.cpp(1249): Error STATUS_SXS_INVALID_IDENTITY_ATTRIBUTE_NAME originated in function Windows::Identity::Rtl::Implementation::CRtlIdentityBase::Initialize expression: pBAI != 0
[gle=0x80004005]

2016-04-24 12:49:46, Error CSI 0000000b@2016/4/24:16:49:46.538 (F) base\wcp\componentstore\versionedindex.cpp(1021): Error STATUS_SXS_COMPONENT_STORE_CORRUPT originated in function ComponentStore::CRawStoreLayout::PopulateComponentFamiliesKey expression: (null)
[gle=0x80004005]

Error 80004005 stands out, though it seems most people have seen that during Windows Update.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try a system restore to before this was happening if possible.

Or using a disc to do a windows repair.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Zogo posted:

Try a system restore to before this was happening if possible.

Or using a disc to do a windows repair.

no restore points available. is there a real "repair" option in win10? i thought they deprecated that in favor of "recovery," which won't keep your apps, but i could be wrong.

it's just bizarre that there is an error code i'm getting - 14098 - while running a specific command that is designed to fix the exact problem i'm having, and yet there's no documentation anywhere (that i can find) to suggest what that error means or how to address it.

wicka fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 24, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

be nice wicka posted:

no restore points available. is there a real "repair" option in win10? i thought they deprecated that in favor of "recovery," which won't keep your apps, but i could be wrong.

It might be called "reset" but there should be a radio button to allow you to keep files, settings and apps.

Something like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC6yuSuldIw

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Zogo posted:

It might be called "reset" but there should be a radio button to allow you to keep files, settings and apps.

Something like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC6yuSuldIw

thanks, i found this a minute ago and i'm trying it now. it's been stuck at 41% for quite some time though, i'm not optimistic.

trip report: it finally moved to 44%

wicka fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

this looked like it worked. repair "upgrade" completed, looks like everything is the way i left it, no component store corruption. updates are installing successfully etc.

thanks zogo, i didn't know this quasi-repair installation option existed. microsoft should advertise that instead of their "reset" option which isn't of great use.

• Locked thread