Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
This show hits so many things right on the mark. It's hilarious and debilitating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

gohmak posted:

Pied Piper isn’t some bloated corporation with a pretentious mission statement about “making the world a better place.”

The next line

In this way, we hope to have a positive impact on the planet.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Learned a lot about horse loving ITT

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Xoidanor posted:

No, it's main advantage is that it's lossless at previously unseen size. For a backup I'm not seeing how that would be as big a deal as in transmission of data.

2 words: big. data.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Xoidanor posted:

Once again, how does the box fit into this?

It doesn't. The data fits into the box.

Joking aside, the amount of money enterprises throw around for backup solutions in the form of a box is ridiculous. I've seen it. And if you can use PP's algorithm to fit more data in a smaller box, there will be sales. It makes sense from a "the stock value is the product of the company", but it absolutely kills PP's dreams and aspirations.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

tarlibone posted:

It's like watching a guy who has had a collar on his whole life that shocks him whenever he says anything negative suddenly get the collar off, and then he decides it's high time he tried out some of these "insult" things he's heard so much about. So he studies for a couple of weeks, sees his opportunity, and goes for it. The levels of clever and mean are all over the place, and naturally he crosses a line, the existence of which he remains blissfully unaware.

It reminds me a lot of the new kids who joined the navy that were obviously sheltered up to that point in life. Suddenly they're around some of the most foul-mouthed people in the world. They were always the ones to cross the line, and it was always hilarious.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

VagueRant posted:

This ep just reminded me how much I think the show is stronger when we see the cast succeed rather than fail. I got legit swept up in their excitement at the part where they got actually invested in The Box, and the revelation that Gavin Belson had put a price on The Platform.

Like you have to see them struggle, sure, episode-by-episode. The little failures make the comedy. But seeing them overcome and take steps forward is honestly the most satisfying element of the show, far moreso than when they get stuck spinning their wheels for supposedly comic effect. (Though the end of last week was funny enough to work - and I was a little sad the conspiracy theories didn't pan out because people got so hilariously angry about it.)

edit: I've always loved the sitcom episodes where there's a "project" of sorts (like when Frasier and Niles started a restaurant) and this show has always been doing a longform version of that. Never been good at putting this into words, but I bet there's a TV Tropes page for it out there somewhere.
I thought that was just because they were super happy to realise they'd won.

My favorite part about them getting invested in the box was how they talked themselves into working harder. Like, yeah we could just do the bare minimum, but wouldn't it be cool if we did this instead?

Like that scene with Dang showing them the black box. This is your professional pride man!

I see it happen all the time in my job (an IT development atmosphere). Sometimes we have to stop ourselves from getting to carried away.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I love how Erlich is just completely disregarded and isn't even given paperwork to look over.

I know Monica said Laurie was probably just going to replace her on the board anyways, but it seems her position has been saved - or does she still need to worry about that? I mean, that $250M pricepoint for Endframe proves she made a good choice, right?

edit: didn't read echo chamber's post oh well

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Bro Dad posted:

Richard's new bio on the website is amazing:

http://www.piedpiper.com/

I really like what they're doing with the pp site and http://www.coderag.com/ . It's a little over the top but it's fun for in between episodes.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

TheBlackVegetable posted:

They just need a commit hook that reformats the code before the pull request is accepted and ignore whitespace in the diff tool.

Frothing over spacing is just bikeshedding to avoid dealing with the real issues of mounting technical debt and paralyzing feature creep.

Vim vs Emacs is also a non issue, the source code looks the same in both and noone is forced to use one or the other. Besides, Visual Studio is the superior coding environment.

Was going to post basically this.

We use Visual Studio Code and a beauty plugin which fixes all whitespace issues.

VodeAndreas posted:

Agreed, Richard was justified because she was using 8 spaces... Who does that?

I've never had a tab vs. I space arguement but I have had the curly brace arguement.

I hope bighead comes out of all this ok, but I don't think that's ever been in doubt.

If you're using 2 space indentation that would be 4 indentations. Or she was just doing it to test what she heard.

Also what the hell is the curly braces argument? The type of braces you're using depends on the language you're coding in. They're not interchangeable like tabs and spaces.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
RE: Tabs v Spaces
https://ukupat.github.io/tabs-or-spaces/

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

lifts cats over head posted:

Jared had even more great lines in this one.

"I used to pretend I was bunk mates with Harriet Tubman and we'd hatch our own great escapes"

Jared vocalizing all the female names he's putting on his invite list in front of Dinesh was great.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Laserface posted:

I know right? its literally IRC in a fancy UI.

same as whatsapp/FB group chats.

I think SnapChat is still the biggest "how is this valuable" app I have come across however.

It's definitely not irc with a fancy ui. It's also not the same as WhatsApp.

If you're only using Slack for chatting and chatrooms, you're not taking full advantage of it. There are countless integrations which can make workflows easier. I'm on my phone so I won't go into it in detail, but checkout Slack integrations and also "ChatOps".

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://publicintelligence.net/tactical-chat/

Maybe not for *business*...

And yes, smacking someone with a trout will get you in trouble.

Lol

This is because everything the military uses is 20 years old and has to communicate over lovely ad hoc comms arrays and networks.

Seriously though it's like you didn't even peruse the article

quote:

An article from January 2012 in the Air Land Sea Bulletin describes the value of tactical chat as an effective and immediate communications method that is highly effective in distributed, intermittent, low bandwidth environments which is particularly important with “large numbers of distributed warfighters” who must “frequently jump onto and off of a network” and coordinate with other coalition partners.  Text chat also provides “persistency in situational understanding between those leaving and those assuming command watch duties” enabling a persistent record of tactical decision making.

The article even says that upgrades have been a long time coming because they know IRC is old as poo poo, but it works so don't fix it.

You think real life silicon valley text startups have poo poo infrastructure that can't handle a decent chat client? Look at slacks integrations if you're still unclear.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 8, 2016

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Laserface posted:

Yeah these applications that allow you to have 'rooms' to 'chat' in are nothing at all like IRC.

I guess you missed the part where I said

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

If you're only using Slack for chatting and chatrooms, you're not taking full advantage of it.

Seriously though saying IRC is like Slack because it has chat rooms is like saying your Air Hogs RC toy is the same as the Mars Rover because they both have wheels.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 8, 2016

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

As someone who has never used Slack, I'm genuinely curious: what else can it do that makes it so revolutionary?

It has a huge integration library and it's easy write new integrations. Integrations are basically connections that allow you to interact with other applications that you already use such as monitoring and alerting apps, deployment apps, even source control such as github.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

savetheclocktower posted:

Companies pay for Slack not because they're unaware of IRC, but because they don't want to run a goddamn in-house IRC server. In general companies like to pay for things so that there's recourse when something breaks — you can get on the phone and yell at someone and threaten to withhold payment.

And, yes, Slack is really easy to integrate with other services, and the basic HTML support means that a message can say "A build failed — click here to investigate" whereas in IRC it'd be "A build failed — {2,000 character URL that takes up ten lines}." When our company retired its Jabber server in favor of Hipchat, all the engineers grumbled because Jabber worked just fine. But now we use the hell out of the integrations. (Sadly, Hipchat lags behind in key metrics like “loving working properly,” and I'd be thrilled if we switched to Slack.)

So what you're saying is we need Cloud-IRC, or IRCaaS?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Pron on VHS posted:

This thread is loving unreadable for non-nerds

It's just like the Game of Thrones thread :spergin: about real life sword fighting techniques and armor styles.

Or The Expanse thread going on about physics and gravity.

Or the Mr Robot thread talking about the accuracy of the techniques used and commands shown on screen.

Which is kind of the point I think.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

extravadanza posted:

I'm in TVIV and here is 2 and a half pages of reading all about medieval sword fighting techniques Goons don't understand.
:qqsay:

extravadanza posted:

I'm in TVIV and here is 2 and a half pages of reading all about physics and gravity that Goons don't understand.

extravadanza posted:

I'm in TVIV and here is 2 and a half pages of reading all about tor exit nodes and encryption that Goons don't understand.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

The Mandingo posted:

Oh new posts. Clicks thread. More stuff not about the show.

I was against it before, but loving close the thread until Sunday please.

how hard is it not to click on the thread until Sunday

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

waitwhatno posted:

I'm saying that SV is something like 90% nerd references and not talking about them in this thread is like not talking about how lovely BBT is in the BBT thread(bazinga!).

And exactly 74.3% of those nerd references are about real life technology companies like Slack and Clinkle which some people feel like conversing about and some people who are not in the real life tech industry might not "get" without further discussion

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Solice Kirsk posted:

It's not really for "tech people." Tech people just like hearing poo poo they know about being mentioned on a show and then sperge about it for week while not discussing the "show" itself because it's very straight forward and there's not a lot to discuss about it.

You're not wrong. It's cool that there's a show that is completely relatable to my day to day work and can make jokes about with my coworkers and we all get it.

Solice Kirsk posted:

We're just not getting the "full humor" of one off mentions of specific software. I guess you could say it works on different levels, but it really doesn't. The humor of "how is Slack a thing?!" is funny if you know what Slack is or not.

The parallels to real life are off the charts, and I like that.

https://backchannel.com/who-are-the-real-life-models-of-silicon-valley-characters-we-have-them-3507bc890d9a#.w2e257vu3

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

the talent deficit posted:

... Kemper said. “His message was, ‘We don’t do stupid things here. We do things that actually are going to change the world, whether you choose to make fun of that or not.’ ” (Teller could not be reached for comment.)

Teller ended the meeting by standing up in a huff, but his attempt at a dramatic exit was marred by the fact that he was wearing Rollerblades. He wobbled to the door in silence. “Then there was this awkward moment of him fumbling with his I.D. badge, trying to get the door to open,” Kemper said. “It felt like it lasted an hour. We were all trying not to laugh. Even while it was happening, I knew we were all thinking the same thing: Can we use this?” In the end, the joke was deemed “too hacky to use on the show.”

God gently caress this was funny.

• Locked thread