Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

squidgee posted:

Dudes a good manager and just mindfucked Richard into letting him on board. Nothing about that was him being particularly chill, it was all him knowing that going in guns blazing was the wrong move, and that he needs Richard on board to make the company work and that Richard won't get on board unless he thinks it's his idea in the first place. Same deal with Erlich: there's no way that he's actually a fan of Erlich and Aviato.

Haha, the guy was pretty much textbook portraying what BMA's get taught in leadership class about conflict resolution and negotiation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Veskit posted:

Also Jared would be a woman considering he's hr

Since when are MBA's programs not predominately made up of men...? And was that really his role at Hooli? I can't remember.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Veskit posted:

Mostly being 60/40, and I thought Jared was an HR exec. He knew a lot of specific information that really only someone in HR would know, regardless of which MBA program he went through.

What in specific are you thinking of?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Omne posted:

He was also teaching them SCRUM, so maybe he's more of a general business guy? Or he knows whatever the show needs him to

SCRUM is project development which falls under innovation management. What came to my mind was pivoting which is more of strategy consulting thing. Nevertheless, clearly he majored in being the guy who fucks.

EDIT: Maybe it's Mergers & Acquisitions? That would explain why he's well versed in hiring practices, strategy and project development.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 27, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mortanis posted:

There's a quick line toward the end of S2 that they had to let all the newly hired coders go while juggling the financial stuff. Even though she was the only named one (and I think the other gaggle of programmers was shown exactly once), she was on the chopping block.

Didn't they just up and leave when it became apparent that they couldn't afford their wages?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

RIP I liked her. She was like a girl version of Gilfoyle.

I'm going to be bummed if she does not immediately return when they start expanding.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kreeblah posted:

I liked how they came from Philip Morris, British Petroleum, Goldman Sachs, and Monsanto. That's a well-respected set of companies right there.

All well needed was someone that survived Enron and we would have won evil company bingo. :sigh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dead Snoopy posted:

The Hooli bros are TOTALLY going to have Big Head as an investor, aren't they?

Haha holy poo poo makes too much sense. That explains why his settlement was so close (exactly so...?) to the additional funding PP got.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

drunkill posted:

This horse fucks - Russ Horseman

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I think it compresses all a firm's data so that the firm doesn't have to rely on cloud storage outside of their servers and thus doesn't have to worry about their cloud-storage firm's security.

Wouldn't that serve no actual purpose beyond saving space?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Greatbacon posted:

Pied piper is a loving compression algorithm, saving space (and bandwidth) is what it was designed to do.

No, it's main advantage is that it's lossless at previously unseen size. For a backup I'm not seeing how that would be as big a deal as in transmission of data.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

2 words: big. data.

Once again, how does the box fit into this?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

Didn't they try to do something with a media player? But then it diverted into Gilfoyle and Dinesh making a scrum board of the pro's and cons of the stunt dude dying and Dinesh being able to gently caress his GF.

SWOT-analysis. :colbert:

And it was great.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

buddhanc posted:

That last joke Jared told before richard tripped had me in loving stitches. It was so abrupt and hilarious coming from him

Haha it was so unnecessarily brutal. Richard's reaction was right on point.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

EDIT: Wrong thread, there are way too many Silicon Valley related threads. :downs:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 11, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LOST really hosed a lot of people up

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

panda clue posted:

I assume the people posting in the Silicon Valley thread on a TV show subforum of an internet board care about discussion involving Silicon Valley.

Remind me to never mention anything fiction related if I by any chance ever meet you at a party.

Scratch that, just stay away.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Veskit posted:

Could you imagine watching a movie like Idiocracy with this rear end in a top hat

I imagine him storming off indignantly 5 minutes into Rifftrax anything.

InfiniteZero posted:

Maybe we should do a SWOT analysis to demonstrate why we should talk about it instead?

I'm thinking Porter's five.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wasn't it something Richard pushed for all the way back in season 1?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

The "welcome to Hooli fresh faces!" welcome party had me in tears. "7 years? I was there 9 years. He was invited to my marriage."

I absolutely adore that he found a way to fire Nucleus and still keep it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

saffronskies posted:

What? I am saying it was an idiotic theory. Even at the time I thought it was dumb.

Are you saying you 'Acquit'?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Jack was ultimately another Russ Hanneman, interested only in a quick payout and not in actually building anything or establishing long-term viability.

Which is funny since they were both ultimately shown to be resting on their laurels.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

Yeah, Big Head received $20 million, bought a house for $X million, and still has $20 million.

I really don't understand this sort of SV middle-out finance.

Hooli was dumping money by the truckload on him even back in season 2.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I feel the contrast between Sanjay Basu's bio and the other engineers is absolutely loving amazing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Honestly I'm getting a little tired of TJ Miller because he's such a worthless tool, and you do not deserve to be CEO at all you whiny bitch. Ugh

Yeah this episode it was a little too much for me as well.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Thomas Middleditch has still never managed to be funnier, in this entire show so far, than he was in that one Sunday Funday episode of You're The Worst.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Illinois Smith posted:

Middleditch is good at playing weirdo characters. I liked him when he showed up on Drunk History and his child-detective duo with Lauren Lapkus is among my favorite CBB characeters.

I keep telling everyone, You're The Worst, him at his best.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Yeah I thought it was incredibly petty and ridiculous and struggled believing that a guy like Richard would be as obsessive about this sort of poo poo as he was depicted but I guess it's an actual thing people murder each other over? who knew.

Programmers man. I almost caused a shipwreck yesterday evening by asking this question.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mark Cuban,

A: Entrepreneurial laugh-stock coasting on the glories of the dotcom bubble
B: Surprisingly talented basketball team owner

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mike's voice will never die.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Troy Queef posted:

you guys are all forgetting what's important about tonight's episode: we're getting the return of Gilfoyle's girlfriend

I literally can't remember a single thing about her last appearance. Not even which season it was in.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Yeah, idk why they had Monica explicitly say "the UX is fine" when it looks like it's exactly the problem.

Edit: also, a screenshot of the whole desktop without even one easter egg? For shame.

Haha holy poo poo, next episode is going to be amazing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

mrmcd posted:

Also the screenshot is from a Windows computer for some reason?? Hasn't everything they've been using on the show so far been a MacBooks or Linux?

Jared's setup from the episode. I can't tell what the actual product is to save my life but that looks like Windows to me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Monica's right about Slack. How the gently caress is that $3B?

If Whatsapp gets sold at 19 billion to a company that already has the exact same service then anything is possible.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

It's like a "irc for PROFESSIONALS" (because it's marketed as such) so companies don't feel poo poo using such tools because they can spend money on it and there is a "For PRO" stamp on it (and someone to blame if there is a problem).

If Whatsapp is good enough for ISIS it is good enough for a fortune 500 company.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

There are many countries in the world where WhatsApp basically replaced all other text messaging services, they're paying for the client base.

A client base that is worthless under the whatsapp service! Facebook Messenger is a money sink for similiar reasons but that service at least has a network externality effect with Facebook itself which can lead to revenue.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hed posted:

On my phone but if you search there is a Silicon Valley playlist

http://www.what-song.com/Tvshow/12/Silicon-Valley

Has all the songs. Silicon Valley has introduced me to a shitload of obscure songs so for me it works.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rexides posted:

In the discussion thread of a show about an industry where seemingly superfluous products often get wildly overvalued, why is everyone so hangup about slack?

Are you telling us to give Slack some slack?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

waitwhatno posted:

Some people watch SV for the slapstick comedy and nudity, not for the nerd references. Whatever floats your boat. :shrug:

Nudity? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

IT guys are the road-workers and traffic engineers of computers. Vital for anything to work at all and yet not given any respect.

• Locked thread