Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Haha. All of Richard's detractors re-surfaced this episode. No way we're not getting some anti-piper collab between Jack and Gavin with Russ somehow edging in on the action.

Laurie is a loving monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

It would be pretty funny if the Jack/Gavin relationship ends up mirroring the Jack/Richard one.

Haha please let this be it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DrPlump posted:

Sounds like he hosed him self on the the stock by throwing a million dollar party.

Well deduced DrPlump, really cutting through the narrative here, where would we be without you. :ironicat:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Accretionist posted:

Also, umbrella insurance. If you're ever (really loving) loaded, get umbrella insurance.

Seems pretty lovely.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh it's only 300€? I imagined a way higher cost when I was reading the other site.

Still, the general lesson from that quote seems to be that in America you should never ever invite anyone into your home.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Poor creative decision. :mad:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What is this ceo on rollerblades thing everyone keeps referring to?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Come on guys, we have one more round of this in us before the next episode drops.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

I legitimately don't understand how the response to "our UX is garbage" isn't "hire a UX team".

But buses and... Planes!

Yeah, but Richard is a back-end engineer and has no idea what he's doing when taken out of his element.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

kanonvandekempen posted:

Forgive my ignorance, but what is wrong with Skype at the moment?

It's like the EU, it works and everyone uses it but that's only beacuse the alternatives are somehow even worse.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Ah so apparently the lovely UI did wind up killing a technology that was presented as a futuristic innovation up to that point?

Weak.

The platform isn't dead, just unpopular. They could pick up that plotline at any time when they get more money again next season. Plus this makes more sense, their first breakthrough success was the stream and the video chat is the logical conclusion of that.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

Hmmm so now Gavin is the boss of the tech blogger they used to out him as a scum? What could go wrong? "Hey tech blogger whose blog i own, what was the source?"

Except that he only bought her out due to the dirt she has on him. Not really a position of power. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

With Big Head he means Big Head. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, there's a very stark difference between the image that Mark Cuban wants to portray of himself and his actual track record. He lucked out on the IT bubble and has been objectively worse at growing his fortune than a S&P500 index fund. (for those of you who don't speak finance, it means you're not a good investor) However, he is also a surprisingly talented basketball-team owner. I don't think people would be as hard on him if he wasn't trying to live this 'genius investor' lie that Shark Tank solidified in the public consciousness for him.

Basically, think Trump but without the nepotism, misogyny and hatred for minorities.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheAngryDrunk posted:

In Cuban's defense, beating the S&P 500 isn't an easy thing to do.

A corpse would quite literally manage his assets better.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I don't think comparing his total net worth vs the S&P 500 is fair though, if that's the method you're using. If he is living like a rich person he could be spending tens or hundreds of millions of dollars a year on mansions and yachts. It's not like he would have all 3 commas parked in an index fund if he wasn't investing it himself.

I don't think you get the sheer amount of money we're talking about here. A 100 million dollars is 200 Lamborghini's give or take. A billion dollars is not the kind of money that is actually spendable when put towards consumer goods unless you make it your life purpose. This is further compunded by many high-end consumer goods such as Rolex's and sport cars actually accumulating in value over time in comparison to their lower-consumer grade brothers and sisters due to the low circulation. Mansion's are even worse in this regard, just like your lovely condo they can accumulate in value without actually having any money put into them. He'd have to been spending in ways which would put the collective Saudia Arabian royalty to shame to support your thesis.

You don't get it. Even with the 2008 financial crisis, the S&P500 has as of today grown by over 200% (that is x3) since the bottom-end of the IT bubble downturn in 2002 (Mark liquidated at the absolute top of the bubble). To put this into perspective, we're talking literal billions of dollars of potential return on investment that he could have had in his pocket today by putting the money into an index fund and devoting not even a millisecond of additional thought to what was going on with his money for the next 14 years.

If a fiduciary financial advisor managed his money this poorly he'd be liable for legal action, it'd be criminal levels of negligence.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Our only real product is large scale fraud.

Whoa there that's proprietary information friend, you're about to get sued by half of Silicon Valley.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Please tell me there is a real life story behind the inspiration to the ending of tonights episode because holy poo poo :lol:

There's an inmeasurable amount of examples of this if you go looking. Basically, the point is to bait the employee into quitting on their own so that the business can circumvent employment priority rules or so that they can avoid any benefits the employee would be entitled to if they were actually let go. Big organisatons do this all the time. Bigheads roof situation in season 1 was the parody take on this while what happened to Jack here is actually more realistic.

Sweden's largest morning paper tried this a few years ago to get rid of 12 senior journalists during a downsizing spree. They fabricated a fake project and placed them in a storage basement for the better part of 14 months. Over half of the journalists quit out of frustration before the union caught wind of what was going on and sued on the behalf of the survivors. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

Thomas Middleditch is insanely talented. I wonder if he's just so convincing as a neurotic tech nerd, that people feel that's the actor's personality too.

I feel he's pretty much been typecast after his stunning performance as 'annoying insecure hipster' in You're the Worst.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Caphi posted:

He basically played that character in Sunspring, too.

Wasn't Sunspring made just last year?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Binary Logic posted:

Last week's obsession was on the Always Blue ball. But what is this?

Not, 'what is it?", but like, why is it? Who came up with it. What is the point or rationale. Do they ride it until they crash into something. Anyone here have personal experience riding the teamcycle or whatever it is called.

Looks like the boring version of a drinking cycle.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Richard just walked into Gavin's home, mocked him to his face and set his couch on fire. Gavin's on the money, he's a bad guy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My favorite part of the episode was when I remembered that blood transfusions for theoretical youth is something that is actually real. loving Silicon Valley.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Richard, like every tech entrepreneur before him, is a person with extreme self-entitlement issues and has pretty much been so since S1.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What's with the weird reactions to Dinesh getting slapped. He clearly stepped over a personal line where it was no longer playful bickering.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I like that he takes credit for Gilfoyles beard because a guy in his movie had a beard.

Not to mention how the beard-man is doing something completely un-related to the plot.

Are we sure this isn't like The Onion or something?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

Man, Richard is really coming into his own as an rear end in a top hat in his own right this season.

I liked how he literally suggested starting a ponzi-scheme at the beginning of the episode to get out of their liquidity problem.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Reminds me of Jason Segel, except I guess he didn't actually quit How I Met Your Mother in the end. Being on a super successful sit-com can be just as much a boon for your career as it it can be ruin in most cases. Donald Faison and Scrubs is another case I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Great, because the world didn't have enough artists with their heads up their rear end. Very original Miller.

• Locked thread