Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Speaking of fiction copying reality, the first episode made me shift uncomfortably on my chair because Erlich reminded me of one of the founders of a startup I used to work for. Not in the put-your-balls-on-the-meeting-room-table sense, but in the way they were both certifiable losers, who were just so cocksure about themselves that they would go around giving "entrepreneur advise" in the most arrogant and self-aggrandizing way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

If cloud is not the only viable option for you, then your loser company is not growing fast enough :dukedog:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I have been part of a "Let's work on this thing on company time and not tell management until it's demoable" project before, but nowhere near that scale. If they don't deliver that box, all the breach clauses from the contracts the sales team has definitely already sold are gonna drive the company bankrupt before they have a chance to do anything with their consumer platform. Good thing that Richard was stupid enough to bring their brightly colored SKUNKWORKS documents to the office and have them exposed by mistake.

Deadulus posted:

Huh, looking up the Meinertzhagen's Haversack. The historical ploy was letting a haversack with false plans fall into enemy hands. I wonder if the dropped papers was a trick or if they genuinely hosed up.

Oh. Ohhhhhh....

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I kinda hate it that Jack flipped out at the end, felt really out of character. Not going to miss him though, his "compassionate manipulator" shtick had already run it's course. I guess he was just there to make the transition to whichever CEO they have planned to introduce later more natural.

fake edit: I never thought that the knee-pads were anything more than just a safety measure for the actor, but I was definitely one of the people who expected an Ocean's Eleven plot twist. Guilty as charged, still think it was a great theory.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Loved the episode, and the tabs vs spaces argument was too close to home for me. They should have expanded it into indentation depth too, but I guess reality is just too crazy for TV.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

wide stance posted:

Gleb blatantly disregarding the company coding standards by using spaces over tabs would actually get your rear end fired irl. Not definitively, but would be a clear strike against you.

Depends. If he was writing a completely separate service or tool where he is the sole owner, there are companies that would just shrug and let him code in a way that is most efficient for him. But yeah, if he had to contribute to shared code and his attitude was "I'll do whatever, who cares?", then yeah, that's an rear end in a top hat move that won't get you far.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

2 spaces are enough to denote a nested block, anything longer looks silly to me.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

In the discussion thread of a show about an industry where seemingly superfluous products often get wildly overvalued, why is everyone so hangup about slack?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

IRC was created by nerds and academics so that nerds and academics from various organizations, universities, companies, and mothers' basements could talk to each other anonymously with various levels of security if one was so inclined. It is an open protocol that supports the development of a multitude of tools that can fit the needs of the various people I just mentioned.

Slack was created for companies that need all their employees to communicate fast and easily with each other with a baseline level of security. There is really no need to go to more depth over why it became more popular than IRC in the corporate world. We could have some discussions about how weird it is that people use it to talk with their own family, but other than that there is nothing weird about slack being so popular.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Between Azure, giving away Windows 10 basically free to everyone, including the pirates, and now buying LinkedIn, I'd say that Microsoft is positioning themselves to be the Facebook of enterprise, if what I just typed makes any sense. Charging people for creating a LinkedIn profile is not their business model. Getting your professional info is useless for them. But they want to be the only name that comes to mind whenever anyone with enough money thinks "I want to build this thing, I need people and infrastructure".

As for the show itself, that was quite the curveball they did with Laurie. I mean, all things considered it was a very rational thing to do when you are a dried up, emotionless husk of a person, but right now there is no way to just ignore this when there is any interaction involving her. She is basically the season's villain now.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I bet he has also set it to DVORAK.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Bighead is an idiot but I can't hate him. He never deceived or take advantage of anyone. He just fell face-first into piles of money and budget time after time because he is living inside a TV show. Erlich on the other hand knew very well that the deal he was striking with Bighead was way one-sided (even though in his mind he may have thought that he was helping him by getting on board his business).

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Last Chance posted:

Still better than being at risk for rape-by-migrants when you go out. We could do this all day.

How does it feel being constantly at risk of a start-up tech community suddenly forming up at your town, driving property prices up and driving you away because you work in a non-tech sector and don't own a house?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Tabs vs. Spaces was way better than whatever the hell is going on right now in this thread.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

It just launched, so it has attracted highly-interested users who are willing to cut through any UX bullshit to reap the compression benefits. Any problems will become apparent when it has saturated the super-user group and normies start checking out the cool new thing.

Or maybe they couldn't fit it organically into the plot in the previous episode. Because it's a fictional company in a TV show and all that.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I can't say I really enjoyed this episode. The Gavin plot felt contrived, and the PP parts were just sad. I did like the revelation that Jared would do anything for the company, I just have to wait for the next episode I guess.

And I think that this episode showed that Richard cares less about making money and more about people appreciating his work. A good UI design could definitely get more people to use it and make their lives a bit easier even without using 100% of it's capabilities, while making him rich in the process, but that's never what he wanted. I can definitely understand that, I would hate to cut features from my baby just to make it digestable to the plebs.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I am gonna be the minority opinion and say that I am sad to (potentially) see Laurie go. She was definitely a weak replacement for Peter Gregory, but considering her outside that really narrow context she was a really interesting touch in the show. Frankly, I wish they would replace Gavin Belsson with a new character. He has run his course as an antagonist and he is just a caricature at this point.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

GigaPeon posted:

They pretty much have no money at this point, right? Just the other million (or $999,999) from the blog sale?

Did Bachmanity own the entire blog? If they did, then the journalist had no incentive to sell it to Gavin. Maybe she has the other million.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Not that it will matter in any way in the show, but do they really own it 50/50? I assumed that Bachmanity owns 100% of the company, and they jointly decide what to do with the shares.

Even more irrelevant business talk: Wouldn't the proceeds from the blog sale be taxed before they are spent on PP?

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

"Put an end to Hellman's" That is truly hilarious. No one is going to take down Unilever. What a moron.

Doesn't matter. You can't just sell a product any more. You have to sell a cause. I don't think that people care that Hellman's is just a brand name.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Rush Hanneman, the Tres Commas guy

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Y'all gonna have to dumb it down even further for me

Nerds selling virtual fiefdoms to other nerds due to the idiosyncratic nerd assumption that cryptographically secured peer-to-peer communication is the only thing that will allow the human race to reach it's potential, and once the plebs understand that, the benevolent Nerd-Kings will be there, sitting on their virtual thrones, holding the keys to the magical digital republics of the future.

To be a bit serious, it does go a bit further than that. The creators imagine a future where everyone can code their own apps and examine the code they want to run, starting out with social apps that everyone uses like Facebook, and eventually transferring all governance infrastructure to this system, which in combination with a citizen body that can engage with it on equal and transparent terms, will achieve True Democracy.

If this sounds like science fiction, it's because the only practical thing to come out of it is the buying and sale of digital real estate that doesn't do much but needs to justify it's potential value.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

So instead of running Facebook on Chrome, using Facebook's servers and an industry standard code, I would run whatever "Facebook" code I prefer on a small amount of space I rent for my code, and then reconcile it with everyone else's own personal codes so that I could actually see the other content on Facebook?

Yeah, you could do that, or at least choose who hosts your page. You would still access it through your browser as normal, or rather, access other people's privately hosted pages through your browser. It would be slow as gently caress though with today's internet, though, but their assumption is that by the time the system is widely adopted, computational power and network speed will be sufficiently high. Implementations can be different, but as long as they share the same communication protocol it should not be a problem. Frankly, that's the absolutely least of my worries with the whole idea.

Caphi posted:

So they're trying to build an alternative to IP and then reboot the ISP industry with a monopoly on address access?

Kinda difficult to disrupt the ISP industry when they are the ones installing the cables. The whole thing is designed to work on top of current infrastructure, which is one of the more down to earth parts of the project.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I doubt it's ever going to be as good again as the first two seasons, but I am definitely looking forward to this.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I wanted to be mad at Richard for being so petty about Dinesh making a more popular product than the platform it's built on, but I know that in the end I would have behaved the same way :smith:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I first saw them in this show, and my reaction was "Well, obviously!"

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

Gilfoyle will mindfuck Dinesh somehow.

He already did. That was what the scene where he was explaining how dangerous dating Mia can be was about.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Fellatio del Toro posted:

What I've *buuuurp* seen of Rick *belch* and *burp* Morty was pretty *buuuurp* good but the *belch* awful *burp* bel-*burp*-ching gimmick renders the show *belllch* completely unwatch-*burp*-able to me

The burping is meta-commentary about the show being made by two high-functioning alcoholics.

How does it feel to not be able to appreciate fine art? :smug:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I am pretty sure that part of the reason Jared snapped at the Blood Boy was festering jealously over Gavin not having chosen him to be his parabiotic partner in the first place.

Overall I think I'll echo some other people's opinions that the show has lost it's original spirit. It used to be an underdog story about a group of flawed people that you wanted to root for anyway because they were up against indomitable giants of the industry who were drunk on their own self-importance. It was the kind of story that allowed scenes like Erlich taking revenge on the kids who bullied Ritchard to feel funny and heartwarming instead of just absurd.

The last two seasons could have worked just as well if the writers were willing to let the arcs unfold over the course of the season instead of wrapping them up between two episodes.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Mike Judge always writes with in a shows status quo. There's not gonna be any big changes to format or characters for probably as long as this show runs.

Is that a reply to what I wrote? Because I never said that I wanted lasting changes to the status quo, just that instead of hitting the reset button every two to three episodes, they should do it at the end of each season.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

theflyingexecutive posted:

I love articles that don't even try to get comments from the writers or actors. Here's a quote from Jimmy Yang about how his character is an expression of his experience as an East Asian immigrant to America:
"I asked Jimmy O. Yang whether he had qualms about playing a character who speaks broken English in Silicon Valley. "I did have an accent," he said. "I moved here when I was 13, and I went to school with guys like that, I was a guy like that. Jian Yang was me ten years ago. Real people have accents. I don't judge them. I just try to play the role as realistically and truthfully as possible.""

The article was not about whether the actor of Jian Yang was ok with the show's portrayal of his character.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Snak posted:

It's also just as big a trope for them to be everyman non-nerds. So I hope they do something more interesting than either.

The only safe and original option is to reveal that they are dead.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

For his own good, surely.

I don't know how popular that Ed guy us, but Jared fucks, at least.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

After this morning's conversation I spent probably 10 minutes thinking about it while I went about my day. By the end of the 10 minutes I had convinced myself this season was garbage and had to kinda walk myself back and remember that the jokes are second to none. But for the tech this season, he might as well be selling an ionic bracelet or something.

If they had a realistic idea that could disrupt the Internet as we know it, they wouldn't be producing a TV show.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Who the gently caress uses both? That's the craziest answer of all.

It's more likely that they ident one way when they do their personal projects because that's what they like, and another when they are at work and they have to follow their team's coding standards.

Or even within the same company you might work with two different codebases that have different coding standards. I used to have to do that, and it's a bitch to have to change the IDE tab settings every other day.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I was always willing to excuse Richard whenever he made a mistake or acted against the interest of his friends, but asking Jarred to play "Uncle Jerry's game" was definitely crossing the line for me. His "Do you know what you are asking?" line was too much :smith:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

You know that thing where Chinese firms hire white foreigners just to be white foreigners in their offices? Maybe Erlich finally found a country that appreciates him for being a white dude (and not much else).

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I enjoyed Elrich a lot, and I think they absolutely wasted the character by pushing him to the sidelines and only brought him into the main story for brief moments to act as a self-aggrandizing deus ex machina. He was at his best when paired with Ritchard, and I think that while the two characters acted very differently, deep down they had the same drive: They wanted the world to know that they had worth, which is why I think that Elrich was so protective of Richard in the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

basic hitler posted:

Really didn't like this season's narrative as much as the previous ones, but the jokes were still funny.

I hated the narrative, and now with TJ Miller gone I probably won't bother with the next season, but seeing Richard arm Dinesh with the mobile pineapple was the hardest I laughed with ANYTHING for years.

• Locked thread