Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Alright, can someone explain what the Pied Piper box actually is? I'm pretty confused about what the actual purpose of that would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Last Chance posted:

I just love the way Stephen Tobolowsky says "What?! No! God no!!" to Richard
I love that the way you typed that made me perfectly recall his delivery.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Loved the chain jokes, the ending was incredibly frustrating and disappointing though. I really hope the "twist" turns out to be true.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The kneepads might've just been a legal thing - in that they didn't want him - the actor - to get hurt.
Yeah, but to have him wearing them in the elevator shot is a little strange...

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
This ep just reminded me how much I think the show is stronger when we see the cast succeed rather than fail. I got legit swept up in their excitement at the part where they got actually invested in The Box, and the revelation that Gavin Belson had put a price on The Platform.

Like you have to see them struggle, sure, episode-by-episode. The little failures make the comedy. But seeing them overcome and take steps forward is honestly the most satisfying element of the show, far moreso than when they get stuck spinning their wheels for supposedly comic effect. (Though the end of last week was funny enough to work - and I was a little sad the conspiracy theories didn't pan out because people got so hilariously angry about it.)

edit: I've always loved the sitcom episodes where there's a "project" of sorts (like when Frasier and Niles started a restaurant) and this show has always been doing a longform version of that. Never been good at putting this into words, but I bet there's a TV Tropes page for it out there somewhere.

movax posted:

I'm watching this again and Thomas / Amanda / Kumail cannot keep straight faces when Ehrlich's coughing like crazy, I wonder if the scene called for some coughing and TJ Miller just loving improv'd that poo poo.
I thought that was just because they were super happy to realise they'd won.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 16, 2016

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

Same. I did an out loud "oh poo poo gently caress YES!" When Monica started doing her spiel of voting in Richards favor.
I was so happy for all of them. :unsmith:

And that they finally gave Monica something to do!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Veskit posted:

Stop stop stop stop stop stop stop stop stooooooooooooooppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp
[etc.]
I thought it was an interesting insight personally. The show works hard to be accurate about a lot of stuff, and so it's interesting to see where and how it stretches that reality, especially in areas I'm not really familiar with. Besides, when all the aspiring writer goons finally get that Hollywood gig and have to write boardroom negotiations scenes on The Wire 2: Wire Harder - they'll have a better idea of how to make it seem legit.

Or: the guy wasn't exactly calling for cancellation over this. Please chill.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I hated this episode.

It felt like filler, Richard was insufferable and DEFINITELY CLEARLY should NOT be CEO, like holy poo poo. I thought at the end he would swallow his pride and be like "shyeahhh, give it to Big Head or something." And the wrong room setup was glaringly, annoyingly obvious.

The team shooting themselves in the foot, or being set back again, (even just as an excuse for an episode) is unsatisfying and Richard's awkwardness is the least funny part of the show. I honestly would rather the episode ended with some inspiring music as the team introduces themselves or something, played totally straight than "whoops he broke the chair and now he's being awkward about it SMASHCUT TO CREDITS RAP OF THE WEEK".

On the other hand, Big Head was gold this week. "Why didn't you have your assistant do it?" "Well, she was on the phone, so..." And I like every snippet of Jared's tragic backstory and general weirdness. Stuff like that is the show's real strength.

wide stance posted:

Jared still has the best jokes and Laurie is still a comedy black hole. Holy poo poo she's bad.
I dunno, her attempt at casual conversation with Monica was pretty funny. And plotwise, having a logical character to balance out Richard's infuriating stupidity this episode made her seem very likeable.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

CelestialScribe posted:

It's...it's almost as if the comedy is found in the characters being flawed!

Jesus, you people demanding flawless protagonists want a really boring show, don't you.

I will never understand folks who think a character making a bad decision is the same as the show itself being bad.
The other characters are funny and flawed and relatable. I feel Dinesh's horror at the loss of his hard drive. But Richard had zero redeeming qualities this episode and it made me root against him the entire time.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
This was great and I wish this entire video had been played in place of Richard's subplot this episode.

Jared is still hilarious and so is Bachman. See, unlike Richard, I can actually sort of root for Erlich but not really mind or feel bad when he fails - in a (less extreme) Cartman kind of way.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I'm glad they didn't pull the usual "It's all going great except it just hosed up" that they usually do. Can't wait to see what terrible thing happens next week.
With that countdown, I was totally expecting something bad. I like that they finally gave the guys some positivity and ended it on a note of hype. See? They can still be the underdogs and struggle even with some victories!

Jared and Bighead are still The Best. I also like that Erlich got a positive little turnaround, sacrificing to fix his mistakes - after everyone was saying they made him too mean.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Thanks for posting the article. The amount of ridiculous things they took from real life is staggering and every new detail I learn about the real life silicon valley kind of makes me legit angry.

the escape goat posted:

...does he wear them all the time? was he going through a phase? does he use one of those hoverboard things lately?
How do these guys get by without having a modicum of self awareness?

Rocksicles posted:

THIS... barely a mention of the actual show.
Except in the article about the show that everyone else is discussing while you post about posting? Come on, bro.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
More Richard jumping to conclusions and being a dick to be people was annoying. But Erlich being a martyr was beautiful. Dinesh and Gilfoyle are still amazing. And Jared is still a fascinating human being.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Can someone remind me (not of the new yorker article but) what the Blachman/Bachman joke was? I do not remember it at all and so that is flying right over my head.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Tenkaris posted:

I spent all season wanting always blue to happen.

It happened.

:iia:
What am I missing here?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
This is my first time watching the show since I started trying to learn how to code (sick number guessing game in my python console, yo) and I actually know what they meant by "pushing"! Woooooo!

Anyway, I am still way more invested in the drama than the comedy of the show because the ratio definitely feels tilted that way. Hope it gets to actually move a bit more this season. I really liked Richard's peaceable solution with his crew, and Dinesh getting to be CEO was really sweet.

Tragic lack of Jian Yang.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Joke for joke, the funniest episode of the show after "Let Blaine Die".

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

I could write better Python with my rear end in a top hat
I am glad to see the TV show about programmers namedrop the only programming language I can actually learn. And there I was thinking it was totally impractical!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Thought Richard's little rant about CS being the exclusive domain of nerdy loner outcasts was a bit...miserable and nasty and Big Bang Theory-esque for this show. Just seemed more mean-spirited than I expected, rather than the show's typical cynicism.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I always liked TJ Miller in acting stuff and in interviews, and I'm really sad about him apparently being a dick and about him leaving the show. :smith:

get that OUT of my face posted:

Sometimes you gotta step back, take a deep breath, and read this article about internet outrage culture to put things into perspective. It's been two and a half years since Drew Magary wrote this and it only gets proven more right with every stupid internet take.
I really thought this was going to be an article about the anti-outrage culture culture.

Like if someone makes a tweet criticising a show over something dumb, maybe you just shrug it off and carry on with your lives like the rest of the world (and the show!) will - instead of writing a big article about it? Because quite often the outcry over an outcry is like a thousand times bigger than the initial thing. This isn't me doing some truth is in the middle bullshit, just wish people would gain the ability to brush off bad criticism instead of frothing at the mouth about censorship or whatever.

My favourite writer had it pointed out that the ending of his book treats a lesbian being married to a king and forced to make heirs as a kind of victory and he went "oh, right, that is a bit hosed up. My bad. I mishandled that and I'll be more careful about ~~implications~~ in the future." Then he was. And it was fine.

I always go back to the controversy about ten years ago over a Resident Evil 5 trailer that accidentally looked like a Klansman's wet dream. ONE black writer goes "er, this was probably unintentional but it's super tone deaf and a bit messed up." And then this entire Other Side Of The Argument appears in mad hordes of people shouting "ZOMBIE GAME NOT RACIST STOP TRYING TO BAN IT YOU NAZIS" and the hypothetical person they're all shouting about never actually existed. The counter-controversy to the tiny controversy is this big stupid rampaging beast that starts including actual racists.

And now that's the constant cycle we live in and this whole anti-SJW movement or some other acronymised nonsense. One person says something stupid on Tumblr (or was y'know, just a photoshopped screencap on 4chan) and that now represents the entire spectrum of feminism to be argued to death by shouty pompous youtube fascists?

And now I'm adding to this nonsense by writing a big stupid post in response to generalised outrage that was in response to some generalised "outrage". The internet might just be a snake eating its own cloaca forever?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, really would've liked them to take Ed Chambers further.

FeastForCows posted:

Is there any explanation why this show has so much ADR done? It really sticks out for me and I feel it's done much more than on any other shows I've watched.
All the private jets flying overhead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I remember that episode where they bought an office and it felt like they were moving up in the world and things were changing and it felt good and fresh and nice and then...I dunno, Richard hosed it up and they were all back at Erlich's by the next ep? Sigh.

• Locked thread