Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

gently caress yes, Dr. Octagon, the end credit music is always so great.

I saw there is an upcoming soundtrack album of the show from mass appeal records, soundcloud of a couple of the tracks here:

https://soundcloud.com/massappealrecs/sets/silicon-valley-the-soundtrack

Love that DJ Shadow + Nas tune.
Not to diss our wedding, but this episode ending on Blue Flowers was the best moment in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

It was great, plus your wedding probably didn't have Richard wandering up to Gavin's compound wearing mismatched shoes :haw:

Kool Keith is criminally underrated and incredibly prolific.

Also I remember seeing some other show recently that used a track from The Automator's "Handsome Boy Modelling School" but I forget which show and track.
Get off my elevator

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It seems pretty sophisticated. I tried to make my fingers look like a hot dog in a bun and it was not fooled.
Neural nets tend to be fooled by entirely different things than humans. In fact, when a neural net is fooled by the same things as a human being, that's pretty exciting cause it indicates it's actually working similar to us.

See https://arxiv.org/pdf/1412.1897.pdf or https://www.evolvingai.org/fooling

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Found a post on HN about the app and some guy who says he (or his team) developed the thing:

About the training set:
So tl;dr they're using the standard, state of the art neural net tech you'd use for this kind of thing. (The technobabble by the female student was perfectly accurate from what I can tell.)
You could probably roll this setup at home if you have a gaming pc and a few hours to kill.

I agree with everyone, this episode was another highlight. I love this show. It's getting a bit predictable on the Karma front, but it's not any less hilarious than it used to. I hope they stay with the machine learning theme for a while because I understand that stuff a bit better than the other tech inside jokes :v:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A professor I know had somehow completely missed the entirety of television after Knight Rider (she was too busy backpacking the world and being extremely successful as a scientist at a young age), but for some reason the one thing she knows is Silicon Valley. I feel she's gonna be terribly disappointed now that she's gonna spend her maternity leave watching television shows.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

This is one of the funniest, most consistent shows on TV - I think all you doomsayers are wrong. Things will be fine.
I think what people are saying is "even though I found this twist/reset a bit abrupt, it was still a fantastic episode".

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

The worst is when you're working in some language where whitespace is actually part the code, like Python
Yeah and it's been implied Richard writes at least some Python.

Snak posted:

I do orefer tabs over spaces
What is wrong with you

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Yeah, that blows my mind, too.

Like, I get it. It's because they only ever encounter Vim when like a git commit launches them into it or something, but still...

I'm a terrible coder and I totally get it. vi(m) is terribly confusing. It simply doesn't show you the affordances.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jimmy O. Yang/Jian Yang is single-handedly keeping the word "owning" alive.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Die i

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Last two episodes were a bit of a let down for me compared to the absolutely amazing rest of the season. This episode seemed strangely low energy ..? Maybe that was just the actors trying to play being cold.
Mostly, while the plot was moving at breakneck pace, I just wasn't feeling the jokes. Also note the inexcusable lack of Jian Yang!!!!

But then, saying they're not quite measuring up to the earlier episodes this season means comparing them to a very high standard. This season is stellar.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
These particular insurance guys are trying to make the world a better place by disrupting insurance. It's like Grinder, but for small claims.

E: Grindr?

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 14, 2017

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Merging the insurance your business needs with the social media connection you deserve. Welcome to the future of socially aware, home sourced, artisanal insurance policies. Welcome to Insurero.
Oh god. This is already a thing right? I can find this on the App Store correct?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I laughed plenty during this episode, but I don't really like the increasingly dark direction this is going in.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't he die in Deadpool? Cause I remember reading he's signed up for Deadpool 2.

I will miss "motherfuck!" :(

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So given that I'm the only one who doesn't appreciate the dark turn the show is taking, I actually wonder why - cause I actially love Veep and It's always sunny ... it feels like I should appreciate this more, but I somehow don't like Richard abusing Jared and hijacking phones.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

splifyphus posted:

That's not Epicureanism, that's hedonism for babbys. Pleasure and pain are simply relative points on the spectrum of sensation. Pursue pleasure and your life will be filled with pain, accept/pursue pain and it turns into pleasure etc etc

Epicurus figured that poo poo out and recommended a very simple life with minimal aesthetic/sensory contrasts for maximum contentment. You can learn all of this simply by skimming Wikipedia.
I don't think "minimizing pain (and maximizing pleasure)" is that bad a summary of Epicurus' suggestion of living a bland life.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

Was TJ Miller actually that fat or is it some body suit? He appears to be normal in most photos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5dJJGsQWtg&t=536s

splifyphus posted:

No, it isn't. A good summary would be something like minimizing both pain and pleasure maximizes contentment and happiness. Epicureanism and hedonism are quite distinct from one another.

Philosophy history aside, this season is great. Last season was mostly spinning its wheels and I figured this show's best days were behind it, but I think this might be my favorite season yet. Gilfoyle taking the piss out of the idiocy of 'smart appliances' then brute forcing the smart fridge had me on the floor.
Well it depends on what you mean by pleasure (khara vs hedone vs eudaimonia?.. I'm not an expert). But as long as you don't mean "eat so much cheese that your tummy hurts and maybe shoot heroin", and as long as the "minimizing" part is emphasized, it's not too far off in my book. And he's not uncommonly referred to as a form of Hedonist, although of course not in the modern, #YOLO sense.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Please. Kumail Nanjiani (I admittedly had to look up his last name) is Pakistani-American, and I'm sure that very fact was brought up in the interview.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Vintersorg posted:

Pakistanis are considered Indian.
In what context? Is that just what the word means (I'm not a native speaker)?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Toast Museum posted:

No. As far as I've ever heard, using "Indian" as a catchall for South Asians of any nationality is not appropriate.
It doesn't feel appropriate to me either ...

The man himself on a similar issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX5OyGlLS-g

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What is he talking about ..?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't get it :(

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

He is calling him ugly
:(

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This season was funny, I laughed.

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

"Veep isn't a spoiler good as the Thick of It" is an okay/acceptable Cool Opinion, but "Veep isn't funny" is objectively wrong. It's funny as hell.
I'm honestly a bit angry at Veep for not being The Thick of It. It's still good though.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Snak posted:

Yeah, the best was when Richard and Erlich played off each other's strengths. The episode in season 1 where Richard pukes in his pants because he's totally unprepared to present to Peter Gregory and then Erlich comes in and earns the board seat he got Richard to agree to drunk is one of the best examples. They say "Jobs and Woz" a bunch of times, but they only act like it once or twice.

It's generally a problem in this show that they keep things too fractured for how little the situation evolves. If it's really going to just be a status quo sitcom, why didn't Monica join the Pied Piper team when they set it up? So that she could be involved in the show without all these tiny sideplots.
I wonder if somebody starting to watch this show in 4 years, beginning not with the first episode but something from season 7, will be greeted with an Always Sunny ... type situation where everyone is irredeemably awful from the get-go, but I think I liked it more when the gang was just incompetent, not malicious.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I sure do feel the "impermanence of life" weigh less heavy on my soul after having TJ Miller stimulate hitherto unused thinking muscles by pointing out female comics constantly talk about the vagina. Political correctness: 0, TJ Miller (The Emoji Movie): 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How is "female comedians aren't funny, they only talk about their vaginas" absurdist humour?

• Locked thread