Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm not even sure it's about fitting an editorial view point unless that view point is generating clicks, which a mildly controversial article is going to do.

I don't think anything of the entire situation. Jian Yang represents Jian Yang, not an entire culture. I don't watch him and think "this is all Chinese people" since I am not 4 years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Not sure you're in a position to tell me how to watch this show.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

SHOAH NUFF posted:

are you ok? It's just a blog post
are you ok? it's just someone's prerogative to post as much as they care to.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Who said anyone was red faced? All I see is a group of people posting their opinions. What else you got?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Cojawfee posted:

If they ever do show Laurie's other kids, I really hope they don't do that lame "the kids are super sperglords just like the parent" trope.
It'd be a great running joke if they continued the "Laurie has a perfectly normal life outside of work" reveal a little at a time. Turns out she's married, has 4 well adjusted kids (and is a great mom), volunteers at her church, etc. All to increasingly confused reactions from Monica.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I didn't know that article existed, but it's a wonderful validation of what I've been seeing. I am pretty much ready to burn the internet down at this point. Cheesy Wonder Woman pun on my facebook feed? Decried for being anti-woman. Someone said "Happy Memorial Day" to you? Here's an article they should read. Share a post about a good dad? Someone will say it shouldn't be remarkable when someone is a good dad. It turns out Kate Upton is attractive? This is body shaming someone I've never heard of. All day, every day.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Pick up some hobbies
I just follow you around SA trying to get your attention.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I think that's a fair point. Saw an article this morning that a single person no one's ever heard of said he was uncomfortable that a Japanese man won the Indy 500, so now the internet racing community is up in arms. Or, you know, a single person said a thing that no one else agreed with. Kinda like when I post.

e: I love your post. A lot.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 31, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Sorry I kinda caused this derail, but yeah it's just one of those tweets where you should go "oh, huh, well, you're wrong, moving on", but instead of moving on, it generated about 750 different indignant articles.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
For what it's worth, Indianapolis and Fort Worth are actually both really nice towns.

Just answering a question nobody asked.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I mean this in only a positive way, but to me it demonstrates how good this show is that their dynamic is actually one of my least favorite parts of the show. I adore the show, but I'd only rate them as "completely hilarious" rather than someone like Big Head or Jared who I can barely even function after watching.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
That movie looks incredibly annoying. I'm hoping that within context, that one character saying "troll the trolls" as though he just created the most clever phrase imaginable, is actually a running joke. Because in that clip it came across very poorly.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't even know where it goes comedically, but I'd love to explore the fact that Jared did not seem to understand that he was Ed Chambers.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Why do people think he remained in the palapa while it burned?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Let's also not forget that the biggest problem with his new internet idea is the government. He describes it as outside of government control. Not to be too big state on you guys, but you understand that they'd just squash that like a bug. This means the service becomes illegal if it continues to exist, which works out nicely because it's really best analogous to what Pope Guilty has already mentioned.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
WELL THEN HERE'S ANOTHER ISSUE!!

You need to store multiple copies of every file, effectively removing the compression benefit. This is to avoid the sentence "Welp, Cingulate uninstalled the app last night, and he had 7 bytes of my data on his phone, so I can never open this Word document again."

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Phi230 posted:

I don't know how any of this poo poo works
After this morning's conversation I spent probably 10 minutes thinking about it while I went about my day. By the end of the 10 minutes I had convinced myself this season was garbage and had to kinda walk myself back and remember that the jokes are second to none. But for the tech this season, he might as well be selling an ionic bracelet or something.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Accretionist posted:

What do $14/hr coders do?
The same thing $60/hr coders do but from the other side of the world.

PittTheElder posted:

Who the gently caress uses both? That's the craziest answer of all.
You might format different languages, well, differently. Perl looks vastly different than C#, and if you've decided you need to use both, you might change formatting as easily as you change languages.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 16, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I do expect them to hit the next phase of the company next season. We've gotten 4 seasons out of "company with good idea tries to get off the ground", but we need to see what's next.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Avasculous posted:

-Startup CEO riding entirely on a vortex of charisma that's attracted millions in funding over a beautiful demo for an untenable technology, which anyone would realize if they bothered examining it.
One of my favorite moments of the last episode wasn't even a joke.

"Four days ago I spent 2 billion dollars on a piece of poo poo VR gadget that's never gonna work."

I loved that reveal. Took less than four days to realize what a colossal mistake the acquisition had been and he knows he's stuck with this thing now.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I love Bighead but it'd also be entirely within character for him to not be seen until about 5x03 or so, and be a Congressman for no particular reason.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
He means free as in speech, which means season 5 will largely be focused around how that isn't how the internet works and his despair at his app being shut down the microsecond the government learns about it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Don't call Pakistanis Indian, and TJ Miller is exactly as famous as TJ Miller's ever going to be. I appreciate that he wants to do different things, but let's not pretend like Silicon Valley was holding him back.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm not going anywhere - the ensemble is so strong it can transcend anything - but that sure was a nothing season.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Henchman of Santa posted:

Awkward timing considering Veep just hit a big reset button last night too.
I hadn't watched this season yet, and just watched episode 1 last night, hated every minute of it but was going to watch the season because it was the last one. Don't know why I'd convinced myself of that. So when it was also announced last night that Veep was renewed for another season, I was all too happy to take that show out of rotation. Good riddance.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
How to come off like a giant loving baby, by TJ Miller.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is the worst opinion in the history of TVIV
If worst meant correct, then yes.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

get that OUT of my face posted:

Jesus TJ, tell us how you really feel about leaving the show.
Sliding into irrelevancy put that dude in a bad mood quick.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Snak posted:

Also, to whoever said that Richard's "new internet" idea was hella lame, I definitely felt that way at the beginning of the season, and probably let out an audible groan when he started describing what everyone who's tech savy and had to deal with terrible internet service providers has daydreamed about.

But, it's certainly relevant to the show and makes perfect sense that someone like Richard would take a crack at it. There is literally a competition going on right now with a $2 million prize to design a decentralized internet.
For what it's worth, that prize seems to be discussing something other than what they're designing on the show. Mozilla is talking about providing internet access to those who don't have it. What the show is describing is flatly impossible based on any technological understanding we have right now. I mean it's fine, it's this shows version of "zombies exist" or "dragons exist", you just accept it and move on. But the technology discussed on this show is not a thing.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Cojawfee posted:

You probably also need a central server or at least a bunch of independently operated nodes that can handle talking to the storage network to find the files you need.
Yep, and to speed up access so you don't have to download from a distributed network every time, those central servers are going to cache what we call 'files' on them, and I believe that's what we on the current internet call a web server.

So yeah again, not happening.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
How can you confuse them? No, that is thoroughly not Stephen Tobolowsky.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
What part of them was racist at all? China exists. Factories exist. They make tech products. Is any of that problematic for you?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
So we're just doing quotes from other TV shows right

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Ain't no shame in holding on to grief, as long as you make room for other things too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If that's what he's aiming for, he's in trouble, because Andy Kaufman wasn't funny, and TJ Miller has even less charisma. Oh well, he got confused as to whether I was tuning in to watch Silicon Valley or to watch TJ Miller, that's fine, there's other loud people that good writers can write for.

• Locked thread