Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Yeah, I think I'm done with this show. It's just the same poo poo over and over and over and it has become less and less about tech culture and more of a boring sitcom

I guess I got 2-3 really funny season out of it, so no loss or hard feelings

Same poo poo over and over is certainly fair, but I don't get the "less skewering tech culture, more boring sitcom thing."

Just in the last few episodes, we had:
-A billionaire seizing on obscure medical research to inject himself with the blood of a fit Aryan teen

-Barker marveling at Belson, "the greatest showman the tech world has ever seen" vaguely droning through boring technical details in a powerpoint presentation (without stammering or flop-sweating, I guess?)

-Startup CEO riding entirely on a vortex of charisma that's attracted millions in funding over a beautiful demo for an untenable technology, which anyone would realize if they bothered examining it.

Meanwhile, as far as sitcom tropes go, I'm still delighted that the show has shown no interest in giving any of the main characters dating lives, let alone jamming in as many adorable Jim/Pam pairings as possible like every other sitcom I've bothered to check out in the past several years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Avasculous posted:

-Startup CEO riding entirely on a vortex of charisma that's attracted millions in funding over a beautiful demo for an untenable technology, which anyone would realize if they bothered examining it.
One of my favorite moments of the last episode wasn't even a joke.

"Four days ago I spent 2 billion dollars on a piece of poo poo VR gadget that's never gonna work."

I loved that reveal. Took less than four days to realize what a colossal mistake the acquisition had been and he knows he's stuck with this thing now.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Rexides posted:

I was always willing to excuse Richard whenever he made a mistake or acted against the interest of his friends, but asking Jarred to play "Uncle Jerry's game" was definitely crossing the line for me. His "Do you know what you are asking?" line was too much :smith:

I think Richard might legitimately be stupid enough to not realize what Jared is talking about. gently caress that was the darkest Jared backstory poo poo yet.

As an aside, Jian Yang dropping Erlich off at the airport was perfect.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Action Jack knows his stuff. There's still been a complete lack of Bighead from the show and it needs to be fixed in the finale.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I concur. Bighead must come in and save the day. by accident, of course

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I love Bighead but it'd also be entirely within character for him to not be seen until about 5x03 or so, and be a Congressman for no particular reason.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I think head of the FCC would also be a good option since it's an appointee position and not elected

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Avasculous posted:

Same poo poo over and over is certainly fair, but I don't get the "less skewering tech culture, more boring sitcom thing."

Just in the last few episodes, we had:
-A billionaire seizing on obscure medical research to inject himself with the blood of a fit Aryan teen

-Barker marveling at Belson, "the greatest showman the tech world has ever seen" vaguely droning through boring technical details in a powerpoint presentation (without stammering or flop-sweating, I guess?)

Meanwhile, as far as sitcom tropes go, I'm still delighted that the show has shown no interest in giving any of the main characters dating lives, let alone jamming in as many adorable Jim/Pam pairings as possible like every other sitcom I've bothered to check out in the past several years.

I thought they were gonna do it with Monica and Richard but nothing ever came of it. I at least got that vibe in the first season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

nerox posted:

I feel the same way, but I stayed with Dexter to the bitter end, so I feel like I can do the same with this show.

Definitely. Dexter was a dumpster fire, this show at least comes out with some top tier jokes. I'll keep watching as long as most of the show is dedicated to comedy.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i hope erlich starts prank calling jian yang, tj miller can just do VO on his own time

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also i think the issue most people seem to have is the characters seem to grow in time but their situation does not reflect their characters changing

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think they've grown all that much as characters either. But I still like the show despite its flaws. I also don't think it's like "the best written comedy ever" or anything either, which helps.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

anime was right posted:

also i think the issue most people seem to have is the characters seem to grow in time but their situation does not reflect their characters changing

Richard is basically the exact same person he was at the start of s1 only now instead of doing normal things that are disasters and stammering trying to say everything is alright he's committing insanely petty things that comprise everything he's working towards and stammering.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

nerox posted:

I feel the same way, but I stayed with Dexter to the bitter end, so I feel like I can do the same with this show.

Gave up on Dexter and 24 after one season. More power to you.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I love Bighead but it'd also be entirely within character for him to not be seen until about 5x03 or so, and be a Congressman for no particular reason.

Accidentally starting a run for president. Just Bighead getting a tour through a ball bearing plant in Ohio and having no idea why.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"Four days ago I spent 2 billion dollars on a piece of poo poo VR gadget that's never gonna work."

I loved that reveal. Took less than four days to realize what a colossal mistake the acquisition had been and he knows he's stuck with this thing now.
I got the impression he didn't care that it was a bust. The whole point was to have something to make a splash at Hooli-con since his big box reveal wasn't going to be ready in time. He bought the VR play just to keep up appearances at Hooli-con, not because he thought it would be any good long term.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I wonder if Jamiroquai got paid for this episode.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That was weird. Monica says the future of VR is phones and Haley Joel's tech needs a billion dollar computer or whatever and will fail.

Then two weeks later everyone's phones call let you say hello to the barmaid. Nevermind the phone exploding (which could be due to the malware app), but seeing how they got an hacked together a passable demo in a week, you'd assume that a phone two years from now would work flawlessly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm going to go with all the phones were connected to Hooli wifi and they had a massive computer stilling on the LAN to do the heavy lifting. The Hooli VR app was nothing more than a steamed experience for the crowd and wasn't scalable.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

anime was right posted:

i hope erlich starts prank calling jian yang, tj miller can just do VO on his own time

Unfortunately, thats not going to happen. During the interview he gave yesterday on satellite radio, he plainly stated that he thinks it is more interesting for the character to basically drop off the face of the earth, and he has no intent on ever playing the part again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91q1NZGwE2Q

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 21, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

Accidentally starting a run for president. Just Bighead getting a tour through a ball bearing plant in Ohio and having no idea why.

I would vote for a Bighead-Jian Yiang ticket

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

etalian posted:

I would vote for a Bighead-Jian Yiang ticket

"Wait what? I thought I was running as the VP candidate. I thought you just had them reversed like it was some Chinese thing. Now I have to be president?"

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

GigaPeon posted:

Then two weeks later everyone's phones call let you say hello to the barmaid. Nevermind the phone exploding (which could be due to the malware app), but seeing how they got an hacked together a passable demo in a week, you'd assume that a phone two years from now would work flawlessly.

Not necessarily. It's notoriously common in gaming (and tech in general, I assume) to see gameplay videos at trade shows with beautiful graphics and groundbreaking mechanics: Board any enemy ship in the middle of a raging, unscripted space battle and fight hand to hand! Everything in the city is destructible with perfect physics! Every character has sophisticated AI with personalized behaviors!

Then the game comes out 1 or 2 or 4 years later with none of that because even the best machine couldn't possibly handle such insane features for > 30 seconds.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Yes, there was, it was costing them a fortune. They had to get it completely off the servers ASAP.

In fact i don't think they had a choice as Azure was going to cut them off in 5 business days due to non-payment so they are definitely losing access to the data there. Looks like the pied piper boys are in quite a pickle unless the phone explosions wind up showing how resilient their mesh network is and they get funded for 100 million dollars or something.

alternate explanation all the phones are offloading to hooli networks and THE BOX and the insurance data is there so they have to beg Jack Barker to save them.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm thinking the end of the show will be Richard and Bighead parallel to Gavin and Peter Gregory, with both men falling upward but Bighead doing it in an ethical manner

Richard's going to lose his goddamn mind

But yeah, the show is starting to get stale for me a bit too - Mike Judge probably is going for "if this ever gets syndicated, people watching a random episode should get resolution at the end of that same episode" which makes sense, but is lame

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't think HBO syndicates its shows.

Edit: No wait, they did syndicate Sex and the City didn't they?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think HBO syndicates its shows.

Edit: No wait, they did syndicate Sex and the City didn't they?

Sopranos

I wonder if they'll pay TJ Miller to come in and re-dub his swears

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So given that I'm the only one who doesn't appreciate the dark turn the show is taking, I actually wonder why - cause I actially love Veep and It's always sunny ... it feels like I should appreciate this more, but I somehow don't like Richard abusing Jared and hijacking phones.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

maskenfreiheit posted:

or you could quit insisting life needs a point and focus on minimizing pain while maximizing pleasure

unfortunately brokebrains never advocates epicureanism because most "deep philosophers" are actually just depressed edgelords who regurgitate things other depressed edgelords who skimmed the wikipedia article on nietzsche told them

That's not Epicureanism, that's hedonism for babbys. Pleasure and pain are simply relative points on the spectrum of sensation. Pursue pleasure and your life will be filled with pain, accept/pursue pain and it turns into pleasure etc etc

Epicurus figured that poo poo out and recommended a very simple life with minimal aesthetic/sensory contrasts for maximum contentment. You can learn all of this simply by skimming Wikipedia.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

splifyphus posted:

That's not Epicureanism, that's hedonism for babbys. Pleasure and pain are simply relative points on the spectrum of sensation. Pursue pleasure and your life will be filled with pain, accept/pursue pain and it turns into pleasure etc etc

Epicurus figured that poo poo out and recommended a very simple life with minimal aesthetic/sensory contrasts for maximum contentment. You can learn all of this simply by skimming Wikipedia.
I don't think "minimizing pain (and maximizing pleasure)" is that bad a summary of Epicurus' suggestion of living a bland life.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Cingulate posted:

I don't think "minimizing pain (and maximizing pleasure)" is that bad a summary of Epicurus' suggestion of living a bland life.

No, it isn't. A good summary would be something like minimizing both pain and pleasure maximizes contentment and happiness. Epicureanism and hedonism are quite distinct from one another.

Philosophy history aside, this season is great. Last season was mostly spinning its wheels and I figured this show's best days were behind it, but I think this might be my favorite season yet. Gilfoyle taking the piss out of the idiocy of 'smart appliances' then brute forcing the smart fridge had me on the floor.

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jun 21, 2017

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Ehh, I'm pretty sure this has been my least favourite episode of the whole series.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I remember that episode where they bought an office and it felt like they were moving up in the world and things were changing and it felt good and fresh and nice and then...I dunno, Richard hosed it up and they were all back at Erlich's by the next ep? Sigh.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

VagueRant posted:

I remember that episode where they bought an office and it felt like they were moving up in the world and things were changing and it felt good and fresh and nice and then...I dunno, Richard hosed it up and they were all back at Erlich's by the next ep? Sigh.

Yeah, that's this shows whole deal. It's been that way for 4 years, I don't think it's gonna change now. Depending on the finale I may give up watching it week to week and just binge it on a random weekend once season 5 is completed.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I feel like Judge and company had a decision to make early on. Richard's compression tech is obviously super revolutionary and companies would be falling over themselves to be able to compress their files to that extent. Literally every video and file service on the planet would kill for it. They could have run with this and made Pied Piper into a successful company and showed how they grew and slowly supplanted Hooli, which could have led to some good comedy as they start showing Richard trying to handle a larger and larger company and transforming himself into Gavin.

Instead, they decided that they needed Richard to keep loving up so that they are always in this underdog state. It worked pretty well for seasons 1 and 2, but by the end of 3 it was getting tiring, and now it's really bad. I really hope season 5 doesn't revolve around them still not having the money to operate like a real company.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
But now other companies have the middle out compression because they stupidly told people how it works.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And now they want to create a free internet with no regulations....except for the phones that the new internet is all on. So every generation of phones has to redistribute huge chunks of internet storage.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I wish they would have stayed with Jared being outraged a little longer, the disgust on his face was just incredible.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I could see Jared leaving at the end of the season with everyone else. But they'll all be back together at Erlichs by episode two of season 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

I could see Jared leaving at the end of the season with everyone else. But they'll all be back together at Jian Yang's by episode two of season 5.

• Locked thread