Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I just rewatched and want to mention the brilliance of the moment when Richard tells Jared he's gotta find him a job, and Jared replies "Don't worry Richard, you go out there and establish yourself, then when the time is right you'll send for me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

nooneofconsequence posted:

5 horses died filming that scene.

Still a better show than Luck.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do the horses need any sort of… encouraging?

Nope, the minute the male sees the mare in heat, no coaxing has to be done [Laughs.] I mean, they go crazy. There's a bunch of videos on YouTube…

What notes did HBO have?

It's funny, I actually have an email from [senior vp of comedy programming] Amy Gravitt where she said, "I can't believe I'm saying this, but can we have more screen time with the horses having sex?"

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I know the truth behind kneepadbird :ninja:

mrmcd fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 13, 2016

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

The hurleybird theory is a far too complicated for a show like this. Why do complicated Oceans 11 nonsense when you can just dump more terrible mishaps and screw ups for good laughs?

mrmcd fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 14, 2016

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Loomer posted:

I always viewed Hooli as an unholy Google/Apple combo.

I always thought it was supposed to be some sort of fictional hybrid of many tech giants, including Google, Apple, Oracle, Microsoft, Amazon, etc, since there are aspects that map to a lot of different tech companies.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Also semi-related: http://www.theonion.com/article/ayahuasca-shaman-dreading-another-week-guiding-tec-52941

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

I thought Laurie was pretty funny in the Clinkle conversation. That is a terrible name.

So is Bachmanity. I love that Bachman has no concept of what makes a cool company name.

I thought the terms were that he can't say anything about what he did at work. Scrubbing the Hooli search was just a thing Gavin did of his own volition in front of everyone. I don't think that would count unless the gag order covers literally every contingency from the second he walked onto Hooli property to the second he walked off it. Though to be fair, Big Head's enough of an idiot to sign to that broad of an NDA anyway.

Clinkle was a real company that ended up being a huge trash fire and failed really really hard and publicly. Look up the whole hsitory if you want a good laugh.

And I totally think the plot is gonna be Bighead gets sued for the NDA violation but they can't take anything he has because he transferred it all to Bachmanity. Then some Deus ex machina happens again and he gets even richer.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

My friend's wife was tragically afflicted with Improv Disease several years ago. The upside is she apparently worked with Zach Woods a few times before he got on The Office, and mentioned at the time how hilarious he is and how we should watch it just for the episodes he was in.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Also I can't believe someone didn't quote the best line from the last episode: "I've organized a lot of estate sales, so this is kind of my wheelhouse. I have a lot of elderly friends."

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I mean honestly, emacs people are garbage, even if you are cute as hell.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Go to hell if you put the curly brace on the next line.

Truth, brother.

Also,

"There was a time a hundred years ago people like me could have people like that killed."

:stare:

"I mean, hypothetically."

:stare:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

The Dave posted:

Always remember this show is scary-accurate.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Sand Monster posted:

Everyone's all upset about the tabs/spaces discussion, but this is what really bothers me:

Crazy talk! I think Big Head is the fictional character that I'd most want to be friends with.

Say what you want about Big Head. He's got balls. Two big, heavy, balls.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Dead Snoopy posted:

I was expecting Big Head to crash at 'Steve' (Jobs)' place

Big head, lots of tasty braaaaaiiinsssss.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Yeah, idk why they had Monica explicitly say "the UX is fine" when it looks like it's exactly the problem.

Edit: also, a screenshot of the whole desktop without even one easter egg? For shame.

Yeah that confused me too. They seem to be pretty clearly setting up the next episode's plot driver to be that the UX is terrible for anyone who isn't an engineer. Yet Monica apparently doesn't know what UX is and says it's fine?

Also the screenshot is from a Windows computer for some reason?? Hasn't everything they've been using on the show so far been a MacBooks or Linux?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

to be honest, If I lived in a judgement-free zone I'd probably own a pair of rollerblades

I work for Hooli NYC and have to confess I've ridden our ridiculous office scooters to get between areas more quickly a few times. They aren't that helpful, because at best they let you cover one Manhattan avenue block worth of distance more quickly. They are pretty drat whimsical though.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Nope - genuine episode. Just finished watching it. There's a good cameo tonight. :v:

And a unicorn.

And Jesus I hope you're not talking about Mark loving Pincus.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Liquidation preferences are pretty common in VC companies, so it's not surprising that Richard (and anyone else holding common stock) got nothing after a forced sale when the value was severely distressed.

Now that Erlich and Big Head control all the equity in the company though, they can choose to issue new stock as compensation, which is what Jared meant by "restructuring the cap table" and everyone chiming in about getting their stock back. It's entirely up the Erlich and Big Head but since they basically have no money to pay anyone, it's assumed they will.give generous stock grants to keep everybody living there and working on PP.

It's not clear how they pay their bills, but I guess savings + paying no rent crashing at the house?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

"Put an end to Hellman's" That is truly hilarious. No one is going to take down Unilever. What a moron.

They have it at my work, and it's fine, but I can't imagine anyone being that excited about mayo.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

MiddleOne posted:

A corpse would quite literally manage his assets better.

Well the whole reason index fund investing is so huge right now is that there's very, very few people on this planet that can consistently beat the broad indices decade after decade. In other words, you could argue he's about as bad as most professional investors.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

This.... This is viral marketing for the new season, right?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I like how it starts out a stream of techno gibberish and then gets really, really culty at the end.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

It's a bad and difficult to use CMS server, but also has a blockchain for some reason which is TOTALLY NOT A TROJAN TO STEAL CPU, and also there's a centralized authority because we don't trust centralized authorities, please give us money the space music means we're super smart spiritual leaders lalalalalalalalalala internet 2.0.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Our only real product is large scale fraud.

Actual new thread title.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I am sad I don't get to see the episodes three days early this season. :(

Also someone make a new thread?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I have actually been pitched startups by Uber drivers in the valley, so that while opening scene was pretty PTSD. I'm not even a VC billionaire!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Binary Logic posted:

Last week's obsession was on the Always Blue ball. But what is this?

Not, 'what is it?", but like, why is it? Who came up with it. What is the point or rationale. Do they ride it until they crash into something. Anyone here have personal experience riding the teamcycle or whatever it is called. What is it called.

Don't tell me to google it, don't want to use it for this.

It's just like an impractical gimmick bicycle for 8 people. Some people at Google rode one to the top of a nearby mountain once because it was a nice day and a silly thing to do. The tech industry is weird don't think too hard about it.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Red Oktober posted:

I

Ah, I wasn't entirely clear. These are beer-bikes, they have a keg of beer in the middle of the table you all sit around, and you serve yourself while you pedal.

Have these every been used for anything other than containing and fleecing dumb Americans terrorizing Münchners?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

You laugh but...

It's an article in some German promotional magazine about a Japanese guy who built a cucumber classifier using Google cloud ML

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Rick and Morty has a monologue about dudes' obsession with their own penises voiced by Werner Hertzog. It's a hilarious and brilliant show that will probably die an undignified death one day soon because Dan Harmon is a crazy person who runs everything good in his life.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

There was a behind the scenes where Justin got actually drunk to do some Rick scenes. Off the cuff he says "I hope the next prezo doesn't disallow me from getting a gun so I can shoot my loving self." So yeah, a couple of broke brains making a hilarious show.

I mean...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHsQ6UsA7Js

(also this is literally the final scene of Harmon's last project):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Pf_X_mgwM

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

etalian posted:

I liked how they were mocking having the Google name all over the campus.

"A RadioShack that just closed and all of them staring at the name of the company they work for..."

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

"Random nobody on Twitter says dumb thing" has been a lazy journalist genre for like 6 or 7 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

All the "Californians lose their poo poo when it's only a little bit cold" jokes were a little too real.

• Locked thread