Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Alright people, let's all calm down here. Let's just all agree that European citizens wish they were US citizens and all US citizens wish we had European legislation and judicial systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And school shootings! 1854 mother-fuckers!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

grahf987 posted:

Yeah but he sleeps in a big bed with his wife. Do you not understand how Homer Simpson works, is your last name Grimes by any chance?

Grimey.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Strawman posted:

Act like racist pricks?

Aren't all Mexican immigrants rapists according to you people?

Woah now.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

These guys are intolerant assholes, they were mad at nerds for enjoying a TV show earlier. What do you expect? What kind of dumb poo poo American actually believes people wish their country were America?

Erlich barely did anything, he hosed himself over because he didn't review the finances before going on a spending spree. He's already lost out on 4+mil because of his stupidity, I give him a pass because he's as dumb as Bighead, he just doesn't know it.

Erlich was trying to ride Bighead's coattails and take over half his assets. It was a dick move. Personally, I'm glad they didn't gently caress his character up too much with this and let him redeem himself. For those couple episodes I was really starting to dislike him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

He would certainly continue loving Bighead over for as long as he had money, it's just that his business manager got to him first.

Oh absolutely. That's why I'm glad that's not how it played out. Erlich is still a dick, but at least I'm not gonna actively dislike him for basically stealing a child's money.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We should just do this every page.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

withak posted:

Someone at work was talking about a great NYTimes article about tech CEOs on rollerskates. Can anyone point me the link.

Found it!

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/how-silicon-valley-nails-silicon-valley

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Anyone wanna talk about buyng puts on this trade?.......Just kidding, it's not public yet........but now that we know Bachman's out....

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pffft, that looks as simple as getting ePSXe to work properly with a modern graphics card! Child's play.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SoupyTwist posted:

I think it would have been better if instead of Pied Piper being too complex for non-SV people, they should have made people not care. It just looked like a different Dropbox if anything.

That's what I thought they were going for until the focus group.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

feedmegin posted:

Well yeah, but this also applies if it's stored in the :yayclod:. It's pretty obviously something where you have to be online to use it.

Not if you have a box!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Jared ending up back at Hooli but still having a seat on Pied Piper's board would be something

He doesn't have a seat on the board though?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Richard gave him Erlich's seat. He cried tears of joy

Huh, must not remember that. So Laurie bought out Erlich's shares to gain 4 votes on the board, but said gently caress it and let Richard set one of them anyway? Something isn't adding up here.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

OK, so Richard controls two board seats and Raviga controls three. For some reason I thought Richard and Eurlich each controlled their own board seats independently because of the incubator. So at the beginning it was 1-1-1, then Russ came in and it was 1-1-1-2, Raviga bought out Russ so it was 1-1-3, and then bought out Eurlich so it was 1-4. I don't have the old seasons anymore, anyone wanna confirm it for me?

edit:
Also, if there was a provision put in by Russ to keep from selling shares/board seats, how did Raviga pick them up with out a board meeting? Maybe I'm thinking about this too much. It is just a fun TV show about the tech industry after all.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 22, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That explains Erlich's, but not how she managed to buy Russ' with out a board meeting. She wasn't even on the board at the time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Last Chance posted:

I'm feeling pretty "board" about this discussion

Yeah me too, but they didn't name drop a small tech thing so the thread is super quiet. I know I'm over thinking everything because the show isn't written with that much emphasis on how actual private partnerships work. But I'm bored at work and got nothing else to do.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Russian Guyovitch posted:

When Russ financed Pied Piper, the terms set up a five chair board of directors. The chairs were held by Russ, his wife, Richard, Erlich and Monica, who held the chair on behalf of Raviga as a holdover from the initial investment by Peter Gregory in season one. So Russ and his wife would obviously approve the sale of Russ' stock, and Laurie would force Monica to approve Raviga purchasing his stock, so there's the majority of the board that would be needed.

Maybe, but that's not what happened since Laurie had to tell Monica about the buy out. Also I'm not sure how board overview works with private limited partnerships so everything we're speculating on could be wiped out by them just mentioning a new clause in the partnership agreement (like they did with low balling Erlich). But whatever, I'm totally over thinking a non important plot point. Raviga needs 3 votes and Richard needs 2 so that's what the story gave us.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well that's the next time they get another wave of funding. Maybe they're projecting something like 750k downloads with 250k daily users.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

That's still an incredibly high percentage of conversions.

What's a normal percentage out of curiosity? Monica said 20% would be "really bad," but that honestly didn't sound too bad to me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So they're not really that far off in the real world. So for real world average they would have to hit about 5mil downloads.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Yes, and I've been saying this since season 1 -- Comcast/Time Warner et al would pay out the nose to basically double or triple their bandwidth. They should also be pairing up with the team behind something like VLC media player or Windows Media Player to create the next-gen replacement for the mp4/mkv video formats, a PP-powered mp5 that's half as big as current video files and decompresses instantly when played. Or with Microsoft themselves to make PP compression/decompression the new standard in modern OSs, and completely replace rar/zip usage.

Having an online platform where users upload their own data and storing it for them on the cloud in a sort of compressed Dropbox is probably the dumbest use of the technology I can think of, actually. Even the Box seemed more useful and marketable. But this is a TV show.

I bet Gavin would have done all of this if Richard had just sold it to him in the first season. Take the 10mil and ask for like 4% of Hooli stock so he's not a majority holder and run away from the tech world a famous billionaire with in a couple of years.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

wyoak posted:

Yeah they're writing Laurie out, but even in the real world that kind of loss isn't going to be a major concern for a VC firm.

Oh no! Not Laurie! How will the show move on with out the comedy juggernaut that was a terrible attempt at keeping a Peter Gregory type character on the show?!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

I won't be tuning in next season, this show is a mess

It is, but it's a funny mess. It's definitely not as tightly written or as clever as most fans think it is though. I don't know how I feel about them hitting the reset button on everything. More Big Head and more Monica could either be truly terrible or truly great. The bad part is this definitely means a Monica/Richard love story is going to be shoved down our throats.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Avasculous posted:

They said a whIle ago that this was the intention in season 1 until they realized how contrived it was. Richard's really awkward date invitation at the end of season one was meant as a permenant death knell for it.

I actually really like that the show hasn't bothered with the cutesy, someone-for-everyone love stories that every other sitcom seems to go for.

I think (hope) they stick to that and Monica's shift is just a reply to the common complaint that the show doesn't give her enough to do.

I really hope they stick to this, but I doubt they will. We're hitting that 4th season where people "need to start dating each other" according to most producers/execs. Then again, it is HBO and except for True Detective I can't think of time they let producers destroy something.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

waitwhatno posted:

Hold on, can someone do a breakdown of who owns PP exactly? How many shares does each of the characters own? I completely lost track at this point, with all the buy-outs and buy-ins.

I think currently both Big Head and Eurlich own 50% each. They'll divvy that up amongst everyone since they now have no income or capital to pay anybody with and I'm assuming the "let's try to find another VC" will be the first few episodes along with the inevitable meltdown of Gavin being outbid by his own money.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Maybe Gavin will offer Erlich and Big Head $10mil for the company and they take it! Then the next 9 episodes can focus on all the characters of the show just taking an episode each of kicking Richard in the dick.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Don't think too much about it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They should fire Richard.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CTO it is then! Big Head as CEO.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

In reality that wouldn't be able to happen with a simple board vote, but this is a tv show. Sort of like how it was OK for Laurie to buy Russ' shares without a board meeting. Just wouldn't happen.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Rexides posted:

Not that it will matter in any way in the show, but do they really own it 50/50? I assumed that Bachmanity owns 100% of the company, and they jointly decide what to do with the shares.

Even more irrelevant business talk: Wouldn't the proceeds from the blog sale be taxed before they are spent on PP?

They would be taxable that year, but it wouldn't be taxed straight away. ANd the details of the Bauchmanity partnership was they both have equal stakes in everything. Remember, his business manager told him he was basically getting married to Erlich.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This happens very very rarely in the real world and if Richard had been any kind of a decent CEO it never would have happened. Typically a simple majority board vote isn't enough to sell the entire company without a separate vote of outstanding shareholders, but that poo poo needs to be in the partnership agreement and since Richard used Raviga's lawyer instead of his own (think I'm remembering that right) it very well could have been structured as represented on the show. Not to mention it's rare that all board members are interested parties for exactly this type of reason (though in nonpublic partnerships it's a little more common).

Really, the trick is not to think about it too much because it may not be realistic but it's not flat out retarded or anything like that.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well there ain't no board anymore. Unless Erlich and Big Head want one I guess.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Now there isn't, no. But there was at the time of the sale.

We can only assume that Russ structured it in a way that liquidates all shares in the event of a full company sale.

Russ or Raviga, but yeah.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why would there be if it's all owned by two people who basically have a common law marriage partnership? They can restructure the company however they want.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 1, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

$1,000,001 offer. A steal if you ask me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Raviga definitely was. I'm sure Hooli will still be a thing now that we're basically restarting from season 1. Gavin is gonna go completely crazy having it bought from underneath him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If this series doesn't end with Richard being bought out for $10mil I'm gonna be very disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They'll give all the guys a happy ending. This ain't a gritty realistic show with consequences and what not. The $10mil is probably the closest to a "bad ending" they will go. I would love it if he comes away with absolutely nothing though. That would be way funnier.

• Locked thread