Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SoupyTwist posted:

I think it would have been better if instead of Pied Piper being too complex for non-SV people, they should have made people not care. It just looked like a different Dropbox if anything.

That's what I thought they were going for until the focus group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Vorgen posted:

It matters a whole lot if the device that the person is using is offline.

Well yeah, but this also applies if it's stored in the :yayclod:. It's pretty obviously something where you have to be online to use it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

feedmegin posted:

Well yeah, but this also applies if it's stored in the :yayclod:. It's pretty obviously something where you have to be online to use it.

Not if you have a box!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

bring back old gbs posted:

gordian knot interface
lol that was the first thing it reminded me of too.

Ah, the days when I'd spend ages trying to create the perfect 1 CD XViD rip of my favorite movies.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

SoupyTwist posted:

I think it would have been better if instead of Pied Piper being too complex for non-SV people, they should have made people not care. It just looked like a different Dropbox if anything.

Dropbox, with built-in Skynet

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's what I thought they were going for until the focus group.

It even fits into what makes Silicon Valley so insufferable, and with Dinesh at the party ("I made the best video chat the world has ever seen!" vs "You made Skype")

Also, if all the Endframe people quit, what's going to be in the hooli box?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I don't think all the Endframe people quit, just their top guys. I think they'll have enough people left that know middle-out well enough to out-compete existing data storage boxes, even if it doesn't run 200MB/sec.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

feedmegin posted:

I don't think you are really "getting" the platform. Do your eggs have electrons?

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
All of Gavin's scenes this episode were hilarious. Shooing the possum away, taking them outside to show them a loving elephant. Amazing. I just really liked all the animal gags. Him bringing back Action Jack was also nice.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

nexus6 posted:

I don't think all the Endframe people quit, just their top guys. I think they'll have enough people left that know middle-out well enough to out-compete existing data storage boxes, even if it doesn't run 200MB/sec.

I don't know why they picked that number. Yeah it sounds fast to most people but they go to extreme lengths to have good tech accuracy. Like if they were aiming for that originally (Since thats a great number for GbE connections) and had Gilfoyle admit he made it fast enough to handle 40GbE.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

e: my prediction for next week - PP takes off for real, but in India. Jared's deception comes to light, but it doesn't matter because good word-of-mouth from all the people making fake accounts causes hundreds of thousands of REAL accounts to be opened by consumers in India.

I like this for the big good-fortune twist that every season apparently has. Maybe they fire Jared because of all the new Bangladeshi accounts, but it turns out the ones Jared bought were run through VPNs, so untraceable by godmode, and the humongous spike from Bangladesh is actually real.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Illinois Smith posted:

Switzerland's doing pretty okay money-wise, it's like our thing. :)

Like 6 years ago you guys were facing bankruptcy

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Didn't they have a scene where Gilfoyle turned off God Mode right before they went to production?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mustache Ride posted:

Didn't they have a scene where Gilfoyle turned off God Mode right before they went to production?

That was him turning off the local servers as they shifted everything to Amazon Web Service. I assume they also took out Godmode from the production because that's one of those things that people generally frown on from a privacy & security standpoint.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Even without full on godmode, they're almost keeping track of what IP addresses are hitting the site - that's super basic data analytics stuff. If you host your own blog, you get that data.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

El Pato posted:

he fires jared

Jared ending up back at Hooli but still having a seat on Pied Piper's board would be something

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Jared ending up back at Hooli but still having a seat on Pied Piper's board would be something

He doesn't have a seat on the board though?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

He doesn't have a seat on the board though?

Richard gave him Erlich's seat. He cried tears of joy

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ultraklystron posted:

Even without full on godmode, they're almost keeping track of what IP addresses are hitting the site - that's super basic data analytics stuff. If you host your own blog, you get that data.

That only gets you part of the way there, though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Richard gave him Erlich's seat. He cried tears of joy

Huh, must not remember that. So Laurie bought out Erlich's shares to gain 4 votes on the board, but said gently caress it and let Richard set one of them anyway? Something isn't adding up here.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Erlich's shares weren't tied to the board seat. She bought the shares because she had the leverage to get an obscene deal on them.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

John Big Booty posted:

That only gets you part of the way there, though.

Yeah, you need to make a GUI interface with Visual Basic to track it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkDD03yeLnU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Erlich's shares weren't tied to the board seat. She bought the shares because she had the leverage to get an obscene deal on them.

But he's right, if Laurie only bought Ehrlich's shares and didn't touch his board seat, then how could Richard take it away from him?

I don't think we've actually seen Jared on the board, so maybe that was just bluster on Richard's part.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Avasculous posted:

But he's right, if Laurie only bought Ehrlich's shares and didn't touch his board seat, then how could Richard take it away from him?

Because he assumed (likely correctly) that Reviga would back a play to remove him from the board since Laurie detests him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

OK, so Richard controls two board seats and Raviga controls three. For some reason I thought Richard and Eurlich each controlled their own board seats independently because of the incubator. So at the beginning it was 1-1-1, then Russ came in and it was 1-1-1-2, Raviga bought out Russ so it was 1-1-3, and then bought out Eurlich so it was 1-4. I don't have the old seasons anymore, anyone wanna confirm it for me?

edit:
Also, if there was a provision put in by Russ to keep from selling shares/board seats, how did Raviga pick them up with out a board meeting? Maybe I'm thinking about this too much. It is just a fun TV show about the tech industry after all.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jun 22, 2016

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Solice Kirsk posted:

OK, so Richard controls two board seats and Raviga controls three. For some reason I thought Richard and Eurlich each controlled their own board seats independently because of the incubator. So at the beginning it was 1-1-1, then Russ came in and it was 1-1-1-2, Raviga bought out Russ so it was 1-1-3, and then bought out Eurlich so it was 1-4. I don't have the old seasons anymore, anyone wanna confirm it for me?

edit:
Also, if there was a provision put in by Russ to keep from selling shares/board seats, how did Raviga pick them up with out a board meeting? Maybe I'm thinking about this too much. It is just a fun TV show about the tech industry after all.

Laurie controls the majority of the seats, which is all she needed to authorize the sale of Erlich's shares to her. The "board" likely just met in private

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That explains Erlich's, but not how she managed to buy Russ' with out a board meeting. She wasn't even on the board at the time.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

That explains Erlich's, but not how she managed to buy Russ' with out a board meeting. She wasn't even on the board at the time.

I'm feeling pretty "board" about this discussion

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Last Chance posted:

I'm feeling pretty "board" about this discussion

Yeah me too, but they didn't name drop a small tech thing so the thread is super quiet. I know I'm over thinking everything because the show isn't written with that much emphasis on how actual private partnerships work. But I'm bored at work and got nothing else to do.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah me too, but they didn't name drop a small tech thing so the thread is super quiet.

Only a negligible fraction of egg mass is actually electrons. I've found that plotline extremely unrealistic because a techy character like Richard would known better. It ruined my immersion.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

Only a negligible fraction of egg mass is actually electrons. I've found that plotline extremely unrealistic because a techy character like Richard would known better. It ruined my immersion.

WOW ok, if you just want to totally gloss over their contribution to the coulomb force like a complete rear end in a top hat. We wouldn't even have eggs/yogurt if it weren't for electrons.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah me too, but they didn't name drop a small tech thing so the thread is super quiet.

The next time they talk about tabs vs spaces I'll make sure to chime in.

I think the problem with the whole UX/UI discussion is that they've been so vague about what their product does (it's a compression algorithm, but that can be applied in a million ways) that everyone is confused (as mirrored in the show) about what the product is. The problem isn't that the UI is too complex (it is, but that's not the issue), the problem is that we don't know what the product actually is and what it's supposed to do for the end users.

Anyway, ya'll are being real nerds about the intricacies of board rooms, shares and contract law, stop being so precious about your nerd poo poo, we get it!

Russian Guyovitch
Apr 22, 2008

Some little mice sat in the barn to spin. Pussy came by and popped her head in. What are you doing my little men?

Solice Kirsk posted:

When Russ financed Pied Piper, the terms set up a five chair board of directors. The chairs were held by Russ, his wife, Richard, Erlich and Monica, who held the chair on behalf of Raviga as a holdover from the initial investment by Peter Gregory in season one. So Russ and his wife would obviously approve the sale of Russ' stock, and Laurie would force Monica to approve Raviga purchasing his stock, so there's the majority of the board that would be needed.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

ElCondemn posted:

The next time they talk about tabs vs spaces I'll make sure to chime in.

I think the problem with the whole UX/UI discussion is that they've been so vague about what their product does (it's a compression algorithm, but that can be applied in a million ways) that everyone is confused (as mirrored in the show) about what the product is. The problem isn't that the UI is too complex (it is, but that's not the issue), the problem is that we don't know what the product actually is and what it's supposed to do for the end users.

Anyway, ya'll are being real nerds about the intricacies of board rooms, shares and contract law, stop being so precious about your nerd poo poo, we get it!

A good UI would clarify what the product is dumbshoe. Excel is a good example.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Russian Guyovitch posted:

When Russ financed Pied Piper, the terms set up a five chair board of directors. The chairs were held by Russ, his wife, Richard, Erlich and Monica, who held the chair on behalf of Raviga as a holdover from the initial investment by Peter Gregory in season one. So Russ and his wife would obviously approve the sale of Russ' stock, and Laurie would force Monica to approve Raviga purchasing his stock, so there's the majority of the board that would be needed.

Maybe, but that's not what happened since Laurie had to tell Monica about the buy out. Also I'm not sure how board overview works with private limited partnerships so everything we're speculating on could be wiped out by them just mentioning a new clause in the partnership agreement (like they did with low balling Erlich). But whatever, I'm totally over thinking a non important plot point. Raviga needs 3 votes and Richard needs 2 so that's what the story gave us.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah me too, but they didn't name drop a small tech thing so the thread is super quiet. I know I'm over thinking everything because the show isn't written with that much emphasis on how actual private partnerships work. But I'm bored at work and got nothing else to do.

How about the fact that they're expected to convert 50% of downloads to daily active users? That's a crazy number for a technology know one understands.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well that's the next time they get another wave of funding. Maybe they're projecting something like 750k downloads with 250k daily users.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

ElCondemn posted:

the problem is that we don't know what the product actually is and what it's supposed to do for the end users.

So it's like Google Wave?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Veskit posted:

A good UI would clarify what the product is dumbshoe. Excel is a good example.

Excel is a good example of what exactly?

We don't know what the user interface is like, we have a screenshot from the promotional website to go on. But based on the reactions in the test group, Monica's reaction, and everything else the show itself has shown us (not including the supplemental marketing poo poo we've seen) the actual product/service is unknown. For all we know they problem isn't the UI, the problem might be that they're marketing to the wrong people, or the software doesn't work for what they're trying to do, or it's doing too much, or too little, or X or Y. We have no idea because the show has not given us enough information.

The screenshot we see looks like a compression program of some kind, but all the discussion on the show seems to indicate it's a dropbox like service, but also at times like some kind of streaming service. I'm just saying it makes no sense to argue about what they're doing wrong, because the show hasn't explicitly stated what is wrong with what they're doing.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Well that's the next time they get another wave of funding. Maybe they're projecting something like 750k downloads with 250k daily users.

That's still an incredibly high percentage of conversions.

smg77 posted:

So it's like Google Wave?

Maybe, solving a problem nobody had

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

edit: quote is not edit

• Locked thread