Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

EugeneJ posted:

I visited Palo Alto for the first time a few weeks ago - the show needs more Asian girls if it wants to be realistic

*next episode*

"Wow, Monica...you look...different."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Propaganda Machine posted:

Bighead just got $20m.

I forget the numbers from the episode, but how much did Raviga invest? I could see Bighead stumbling into owning a very decent share of PP.

CWO.

Chief Worthlessness Officer.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Propaganda Machine posted:

CFO

Chief gently caress-you-I-gots-the-Benjamins Officer

This is Bighead we're talking about. He'll blow every dollar of that twenty million on a potato gun that can send a potato into low earth orbit.

...then someone will suggest how to use it as a micro-satellite launcher or ASAT weapon and he'll join the three comma club.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Apr 29, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MrBuddyLee posted:

Alternatively, he could invest it all in PP and end up making more than the rest of the guys combined if it succeeds.

There's no way they're going to take PP public just yet, and none of the board would allow him to buy his way in as it'd dilute their eventual profits. 20 million to everyone but Monica, Bachmann, and Richard is pocket change.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

roffles posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he turned it down because he actually is that stupid, then Gavin thinks it's a power move and he fails upward yet again into like 50 million.

And everyone who hasn't signed yet realizes that they can negotiate for more, and Hooli's 'savings' turns into a loss.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Somehow you just know the former Nucleus guys are going to knock it out of the park, because they were smart enough to probably snap a photo of that dry erase board and then slick it. Hopefully their phones have geotagging off. :ohdear:

They also have the motivation of *revenge* behind them.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 2, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

Theory: Big Head buys controlling interest in Pied Piper, Richard gets back in as CEO, just as the ex-Hooli team reveals their new product.

Except the Nucleus guys seemed to not be interested in working together at all - they just wanted the 'secret sauce.'

The more likely eventuality is that Pied Piper's ~super speshul~ IP suddenly becomes diluted by a ton of other similar options that, while not as good, will probably offer themselves at a lower price point.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Was that real horses or CGI?

It's HBO. There is no way those horses weren't real.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

VagueRant posted:

Alright, can someone explain what the Pied Piper box actually is? I'm pretty confused about what the actual purpose of that would be.

It's a rackmount-sized thumb drive that uses the algorithm to cram as much data into it as possible. It's a backup box.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I've got to admit, this was the most I've liked Tobo/Barker thus far. He dropped the veil in this episode and actually became a legitimate villain, not someone ~wacky~ like Gavin Belson.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Avasculous posted:

Somewhere around the fourth or fifth time he orders Richard to his office and points to the triangles to settle a protest, it becomes clear just how empty they are and that his true genius is just manipulation bordering on psychopathy.

We're finally getting to see what happened to Werner Brandes from 'Sneakers.' Mary McDonnell's character broke his heart and shattered his faith in the purity of coding, so he stopped designing voice recognition chips for stuffed animals, changed his name, and became a ruthless corporate shill, determined to make coders and fellow engineers suffer with his every breath for not designing a better computer dating system.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The kneepads might've just been a legal thing - in that they didn't want him - the actor - to get hurt.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DrunkPanda posted:

Consulting is literally the most useless industry ever.

Consult is nothing but the word 'con' and 60% of the word 'insult.'

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

My favorite part about them getting invested in the box was how they talked themselves into working harder. Like, yeah we could just do the bare minimum, but wouldn't it be cool if we did this instead?

And I'm *really* glad that it didn't turn out to be something that'd turn ~Action Jack~ back into Mr. Friendly Guy with a 'my work here is done' trope.

Also, speaking of tropes, how has no one mentioned or geeked out over the almost-verbatim 'bare minimum' line yet?

As for Dang - I'm surprised Richard just didn't say 'make it green' and have that be the linchpin as to why Jack was able to make the sale back. "Well, the other guy's box was black...ours is green. That's what did it."

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 16, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pope Guilty posted:

Jack was ultimately another Russ Hanneman, interested only in a quick payout and not in actually building anything or establishing long-term viability.

Worse than Russ, actually. For a while Russ actually did something useful by antagonizing the gently caress out of Gavin with his billboards.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

The design stuff was pretty excellent; "I don't loving care, but...", and that Dang's jazzed-up black box was a black box with a green box on it.

I could somehow see the Data Center People huddling around like a graven idol because it has some semblance of color on it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

TwoStepBoog posted:

Although I believe having Gilfoyle as some sort of interim CEO would make for some good comedy, even if it doesn't make much sense. He's been shown as the most realistic and most capable of the bunch.

"I hereby decree that Dinesh be forced to wear his horrible gold chain every day so that I may mock him relentlessly."

"You can't force me to wear it."

"I will pay you a thousand dollars per burn levied."

"...can I get that in writing?"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Zero One posted:

This isn't a real thing. If he signed it, he signed it. No matter what his mark looked like.

To say nothing of the fact that he was signing the documents in Bachman's 'incubator' within clear line of sight of easily 4-5 witnesses (and Jared, whom I think is incapable of lying) who could attest to seeing him sign the documents, while speaking clearly about the fact that he was signing documents *about* his partnership with Bachman. There's no 'airplane, meet treadmill' here. It's obviously going to blow up in Bachman's face *somehow*, while Bighead will come out ahead, but yeah, let's not have a loving week's worth of armchair contract lawyers making this the new spergpoint.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So Richard 'co-stars' as a cashier in a new Tina Fey AMEX commercial and somehow manages to be annoying there, too - without even being the main focus.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Tip-to-Tip Efficiency"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Another episode where it was just painful to watch every moment Richard was on screen. At least the preview for next week shows him *looking* like he's being competent.

Also - there's no way that buying that blog is somehow going to return Bighead to solvency...after the 'partnership' between him and Erlich is dissolved.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It was kind of a 'lazy' episode, all things considered. As for Jared, he's probably managed to weaponize the pity gently caress. He just doesn't see himself as a 'player' because in his mind, he's just being a 'pleasurer' who never gets called again.

At least we know now why he hasn't killed everyone in their sleep yet. :stare:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

My guess is Gavin will buy Code/Rag through a shell company, make them print a retraction of the truth, and Bighead will make something like 50 million off the deal. And when Erlich tries to cozy back up to Bighead he'll get cockblocked by the financial manager, who will know he's found a Golden Goose.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 30, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Accretionist posted:

Hilarious dialog this episode!

And I hope Bighead gets rich again :ohdear:

If Gavin finds out it was Bighead who leaked the information, due to some bylaw in the NDA or his original 'Moonshot' contract, Bighead will probably be able to countersue Gavin and bankrupt him.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Mark Cuban,

A: Entrepreneurial laugh-stock coasting on the glories of the dotcom bubble
B: Surprisingly talented basketball team owner

The only reason 'B' is true is because unlike other rich people who own sports teams and view them as 'just another item in their portfolio and/or way to legally 'own' black people,' it's something Cuban actually *cares about*.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

They're gradually taking the G out of RIGBY.

Just change "great" to "grating" and it still works.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Then what's the BY for?

"but, y'know...the show needs his character for some reason."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

I'm morbidly curious what technique Jared uses to convince women to have sex with him.

He's non-threatening, calm, collected, intelligent, a good listener (and conversationalist), and maintains eye contact. It's also an entertainingly useful plot point for a television show that he *FUCKS*.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Wow, a woman (one he's sweet on, no less) said something negative to Richard and he didn't explode and implode emotionally and took good advice in stride.

M_Gargantua posted:

So will Dinnesh have coded in an awful bug that will kill the initial rollout?

That's been done. Also, how much do you want to bet that now that Bachman has cleaned his slate and done the right thing, he'll get Bighead's good karma?

...then promptly waste it and lose it, of course.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I think the D.A. was more put off by the fact that she probably is fielding hundreds of valid cases at the moment and Erlich's entitlement complex on how she should ~drop everything~ and focus all of her efforts on the business manager pissed her off.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Couldn't help but think of this show while reading this article: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/06/nests-time-at-alphabet-a-virtually-unlimited-budget-with-no-results/

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Veskit posted:

Holy poo poo you guys need to get out there and work with real people if you think IRC is acceptable for business in any way.

https://publicintelligence.net/tactical-chat/

Maybe not for *business*...

And yes, smacking someone with a trout will get you in trouble.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Seriously though it's like you didn't even peruse the article

I never said it was a *bad* system - just that the military's been using IRC for years.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

So torrent networks seem to have tonight's episode up before the air time.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

White Noise Marine posted:

Uhh it's obviously the zip file from Gavens computer

Nope - genuine episode. Just finished watching it. There's a good cameo tonight. :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Nope. :v:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

And I didn't want to spoil it. :)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

withak posted:

Something about the board getting to approve sales of shares, and the board basically being her. So she shot down the $5M deal with Russ and paid Erlich the minimum that he could accept for all of his shares.

And Richard now knows that Laurie's fundamentally no different than 'Action Jack.'

I also love how you kept thinking Gavin and Jack were going to end up taking the same private jet to ~J-Hole~, but Judge had to work in that jab at the 0.001%.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Haha. All of Richard's detractors re-surfaced this episode. No way we're not getting some anti-piper collab between Jack and Gavin with Russ somehow edging in on the action.

Laurie is a loving monster.

Maybe Jack left PP with a copy of the Alpha version of the platform?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

It's almost definitely a play to 'corner the job application process market.' If they can get businesses' HR departments to pay for Enterprise-level access to LinkedIn's database, then those same businesses *require* new applicants to register for LinkedIn to apply for or submit their preexisting application/CV through LinkedIn because it saves maybe five minutes per application review and a ton of space in file cabinets, they'll do it. Want a job doing something other than stocking shelves? Pay Microsoft $20 for a month of LinkedIn membership or $179/year.

• Locked thread