Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Joomla! is the second most popular CMS on the web, after WordPress. It's kind of an in-between in both complexity and customization, and ease of use when compared to WordPress and Drupal. If you want more than a blog than it might be the right solution for you.

I've been working with it (the basics) for a couple years, I want to say since the 2.5 days. Mostly inheriting sites that were already built in it. It's a little goofy to learn the layouts with modules and articles and components but it's not too bad once you get the hang of it. It usually runs on a LAMP stack but you're not limited to MySQL or Apache and you can even run it on Windows.

And of course, there's a million free templates out there and extensions to do all kinds of stuff.

The latest version (3.5.1 at the time of this writing) is available here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Any thoughts on creating a page as a modules vs an article?

We have a couple low-traffic Joomla sites and they've usually been made by me showing a marketing intern how to do some stuff and then turning them loose. We're going to do revamping of our sites where we combine them all into one at another date.

Anyway, our marketing manager was trying to make some edits and it turns out of the interns (who's no longer here) made one of the sites to use a module for every page instead of an article - so with some tweaking and prodding I was able to make the changes she wanted, it wasn't a big deal. I think this was done because the intern said it wasn't possible to do certain things with HTML in an article so they used a module.

What's the difference/catch in doing it one way or another?

• Locked thread