Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Just so people know, there are very contested Democratic Senate primaries in MD and PA, and the PA one could be very important in whether Toomey lises in November.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

axeil posted:

Nah probably not. Bernie's a petulant baby and nothing would satisfy him.

It's like the thing with the Wall St. talk transcripts. If she released them and there was nothing in them do you honestly think people wouldn't still pillory her for them? Nothing's ever good enough for leftists.

Wanting a candidate that isn't unduly influenced by campaign donations and actually has the wellbeing of the American population at large in mind is being a 'petulant baby'

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

TyrantWD posted:

She can become even more hawkish on foreign policy than she already is, push for more tax cuts, the need to reform entitlements to "save" them, and "comprehensive energy reform/energy independence".

She could do a lot of things, but she probably won't have to, given that the Republican party is having a pretty wild meltdown at the moment.

The one thing she probably won't do is move further left.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

Wanting a candidate that isn't unduly influenced by campaign donations and actually has the wellbeing of the American population at large is being a 'petulant baby'

No, it's called being an idiotic teenager who doesn't understand how reality works.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Skyl3lazer posted:

Wanting a candidate that isn't unduly influenced by campaign donations and actually has the wellbeing of the American population at large in mind is being a 'petulant baby'

When campaign donations are necessary to win national, state, and local elections, they are absolutely essential and running a principled loser campaign won't help anyone. The goal is to reform the system afterwards.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
i heard hillary will become hopelessly addicted to the money flow coming in that she will completely flip flop over her primary campaign promise despite the fact that it would alienate a large amount of voters who actually turn out

because money is all powerful, you see. that's why jeb! is beating trump in every state

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Skyl3lazer posted:

Citation needed.

Prove how Clinton's donations actually caused her to change policy positions. All the donations in the world don't mean jack in terms of "corruption" if the candidate doesn't actually change positions based on it.

Deteriorata posted:

No, it's called being an idiotic teenager who doesn't understand how reality works.

Also this. So many Bernouts have no clue how the political system works and get really mad when reality doesn't align with their fantasies.

See: people getting furious that they didn't follow the instructions and got Republican ballots instead of Dem ones, people getting mad that independents don't get to vote in the Dem primary (despite it being well-publicized), etc.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
after all of the memes posted on the subforum of the subforum of the something awful forums, thre's no way bernie sanders can lose this election

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

ElrondHubbard posted:

They basically did. It's not their fault Bernie didn't bother to cultivate relationships with fellow congressmen during his decades in office, decided to throw together a campaign at the last minute, and tried to wing it.

What does that say about hillary that she has been a high profile member of America's elite for several decades and built huge support networks within the establishment and she's still being trailed by less than 300 pledged delegates by the "last minute, wing it, no friends in high places, not-a-real-democrat" campaign?

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Goetta posted:

Nice meltdown

There's probably some really great analogy to be made about the noble yet fruitless struggle of Cincy to join the Big 12 and Bernie Sanders' attempt to change Democratic politics.

Democratic progressives are stuck in The American of political movements

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

logikv9 posted:

i heard hillary will become hopelessly addicted to the money flow coming in that she will completely flip flop over her primary campaign promise despite the fact that it would alienate a large amount of voters who actually turn out

because money is all powerful, you see. that's why jeb! is beating trump in every state

all I know is that I HATE THAT EVIL BITCH. Also my dad used to listen to a lot of conservative talk radio when I was growing up, no idea how that could be related though

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

What does that say about hillary that she has been a high profile member of America's elite for several decades and built huge support networks within the establishment and she's still being trailed by less than 300 pledged delegates by the "last minute, wing it, no friends in high places, not-a-real-democrat" campaign?

In a two-candidate race with nearly all states doling out delegates proportionately, a 300 delegate lead at this point is huge. The primary contest is not close in the least.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Democrazy posted:

There's probably some really great analogy to be made about the noble yet fruitless struggle of Cincy to join the Big 12 and Bernie Sanders' attempt to change Democratic politics.

Democratic progressives are stuck in The American of political movements

There is always next year....

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

She has a larger lead than Obama ever had over her in 08 and most primaries aren't like 2004 so I'd feel pretty good actually! She crushed Bernie.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Polo-Rican posted:

after all of the memes posted on the subforum of the subforum of the something awful forums, thre's no way bernie sanders can lose this election

s4p users blamed the subreddit moderators for not allowing meme posts and therefore losing the election

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

axeil posted:

Also this. So many Bernouts have no clue how the political system works and get really mad when reality doesn't align with their fantasies.

See: people getting furious that they didn't follow the instructions and got Republican ballots instead of Dem ones, people getting mad that independents don't get to vote in the Dem primary (despite it being well-publicized), etc.

Remember that in California the third largest party is the "American Independence Party" because people thought it was how you registered as an Independent.

(Though tbf that is a misleading name)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

Having spent all spring eating its fill of leaves, here we see the mid-life Democrat as it enters chrysalis and begins its incredible transformation to a noble Republican

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

ElrondHubbard posted:

She could do a lot of things, but she probably won't have to, given that the Republican party is having a pretty wild meltdown at the moment.

It depends on how close the race is looking.

Had Bernie run this campaign differently, and made it clear that he is a huge asset to the party even if he is not the nominee, the establishment would be a lot more receptive to adopting and fully committing to parts of his platform. Instead he took this hostile approach of "pick me or my people will walk' and in exchange he is going to get nothing. There will be some token gestures, but he is not going to get the Hillary or the establishment to fight for anything that they weren't already planning to do. He could have changed the party drastically and threw that opportunity away.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

ElrondHubbard posted:

Yeah. She is being handed the general election on a silver platter. If Trump gets the nomination, tons of moderates won't vote for her. If he gets rat hosed out of it, the GOP will fissure.

She doesn't have to move at all and she won't.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Goetta posted:

Having spent all spring eating its fill of leaves, here we see the mid-life Democrat as it enters chrysalis and begins its incredible transformation to a noble Republican

Lmao no that's not how it happens they start out their lifecycle as sanderistas

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TyrantWD posted:

Had Bernie run this campaign differently, and made it clear that he is a huge asset to the party even if he is not the nominee, the establishment would be a lot more receptive to adopting and fully committing to parts of his platform. Instead he took this hostile approach of "pick me or my people will walk' and in exchange he is going to get nothing. There will be some token gestures, but he is not going to get the Hillary or the establishment to fight for anything that they weren't already planning to do. He could have changed the party drastically and threw that opportunity away.

Also worth noting that "What they were already planning to fight for" is a categorical issue, not an issue that depends on intensity.

In other words, "Fighting for a higher minimum wage" is a categorical issue. "Fighting for $15/hr instead of $12/hr" is an intensity issue. The issues with actual categorical difference (like a single payer system) aren't being adopted by the Democrats at large.

In some cases, a categorical issue is being adopted but not the one Bernie was fighting for. For example, Bernie wants free college tuition. Hillary wants a system where all of your college costs (tuition & fees, housing, food, etc) are easily paid for with a 10hr/week job. Same basic problem that needs to be fought, massively different solution.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

logikv9 posted:

Just like Bill did with the welfare reform bills, nafta, and tough on crime laws?

He had the support of labor unions and promised to help them only to turn around and gently caress them over with nafta which they all opposed. He also relied heavily on southern African American votes and then signed laws that specifically harmed those same minority communities disproportionately.

Hillary has said wealth inequality is a major problem this campaign and yet she makes $250k an hour to give a bunch of bankers a nice pat on the back for trading fraudulent securities and toxic assets.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Goetta posted:

Actually, my political views haven't changed a bit since I was about 20. If anything, I'm more liberal now than I was then.

Keep trying, though. Eventually you'll figure out how to stop projecting onto other people.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

He also relied heavily on southern African American votes and then signed laws that specifically harmed those same minority communities disproportionately.

With their consent.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

TyrantWD posted:

Well ultimately, a lot of primaries are contentious and reveal the cleavages that exist within both parties. There's a lot of ugly contests that end up with both sides coming together, and Sanders can still make amends, and as long as both sides will let bygones be bygones, he can still have significant influence over the party platform.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Deteriorata posted:

In a two-candidate race with nearly all states doling out delegates proportionately, a 300 delegate lead at this point is huge. The primary contest is not close in the least.

:psyduck:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Actually, my political views haven't changed a bit since I was about 20. If anything, I'm more liberal now than I was then.

Keep trying, though. Eventually you'll figure out how to stop projecting onto other people.

I wonder if a young wolfowitz ever accused older dems of abandoning liberal values

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Goetta posted:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
The Bernie thread seems particularly salty today.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Just to save us all time, go back to the Bernie thread now and complain about how terrible this thread is.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

But seriously for all the hand-wringing about how 'those teenage bernouts just don't get REALITY' shouldn't our goal be to have that idealized political system?

It's like teasing someone because they want something good in life, when everyone knows that life is poo poo and death is certain.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Skyl3lazer posted:

But seriously for all the hand-wringing about how 'those teenage bernouts just don't get REALITY' shouldn't our goal be to have that idealized political system?

It's like teasing someone because they want something good in life, when everyone knows that life is poo poo and death is certain.

I don't really want a system where a President can implement (or take away ) my healthcare with a pen stroke.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Just like Bill did with the welfare reform bills, nafta, and tough on crime laws?

He had the support of labor unions and promised to help them only to turn around and gently caress them over with nafta which they all opposed. He also relied heavily on southern African American votes and then signed laws that specifically harmed those same minority communities disproportionately.

Hillary has said wealth inequality is a major problem this campaign and yet she makes $250k an hour to give a bunch of bankers a nice pat on the back for trading fraudulent securities and toxic assets.

If you're referring to the crime bill, that had the support of the congressional black caucus, and was well intended but ended up being abused for really bad reasons. Oh, yeah - Bernie voted for that bill too.

Jhanez
Feb 27, 2007

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Patter Song posted:

Just so people know, there are very contested Democratic Senate primaries in MD and PA, and the PA one could be very important in whether Toomey lises in November.

Yes, it was rewarding to vote for Fetterman.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A 55/45 electoral split is a blowout.. However, the difference in delegates allocated ends up not being that big. In New York, Hillary won by 16 points yet netted only +30 delegates.

Her leading by 300 delegates at this point means she's been kicking Bernie's rear end really hard for a long time. It's not even slightly close.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Umm he's not wrong? Lets say we get to California (475 delegates) with Sanders behind by 300 delegates. He would need to win 388 delegates to her 87 in that race to come out with a net +1.

That's 81.6% of the vote...

A 300 delegate lead in a proportional race is enormous.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Skyl3lazer posted:

it's not a helpful mindset because we dont live in a system where problems can be solved by clapping our hands and wishing hard enough

if you want change, you have to know how to implement it

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

computer parts posted:

I don't really want a system where a President can implement (or take away ) my healthcare with a pen stroke.

It isn't about executive power (and you know it isn't), it's about having A) A primary system where the merit of a candidate wins elections, rather than a huge corporate machine and B) Once elected, a candidate can actually execute their agenda if it's something that the people-at-large support.

That's all people are hoping for. Instead we're given a hundred articles per week about how 'Bernie bros' are just white upper middle class teenagers who just don't get that Hillary is inevitable, and even if he did get elected nothing would get done because of republican obstructionism (unlike Hillary, who will be able to pass all of her reasonable reforms day one).

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

i heard hillary will also pass a flat tax and call for english to be the official language of the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ElrondHubbard posted:

They basically did. It's not their fault Bernie didn't bother to cultivate relationships with fellow congressmen during his decades in office, decided to throw together a campaign at the last minute, and tried to wing it.

I think he had realistic expectations in the beginning but saw that he underestimated his support. Then he reached a bit too far and became desperate when he ultimately saw he would fall short of the nomination.

• Locked thread