Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Good freaking lord there really is a goon highsec mining corp.

I haven't been this tempted to come back since they changed the scythe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Came back and mined for about 3 hours before eating a suicide gank. I don't care about money and it's within the rules so it's whatever, fair play, I'm just kinda hoping Videogames doesn't get jumped similarly upon reaching mining barges.

My pvp guy can do all kinds of t2 stuff but I pretty much just want to fly around in something like a navitas or scythe, are there any goon groups suited for this?

Is upgrading your clone no longer a thing?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Morris posted:

GSF Caracal fleet (including Saranen standing fleet) uses Scythes, T1 logi is usually welcome on most other fleets unless it's full to the gills with T2 logi. Logi frigates are used in the Jackdaw fleet and I think the Space Violence SIG uses Deacons for their Confessor fleets (not 100% sure). Can't say about Groon or DJ's group. Upgrading your clone is no longer a thing.

Took me a bit to figure out what the heck a Deacon is, but basically yeah that's sorta what I'm looking for. I used to do a near-perfect Scimitar in the big fleets, but drat that was almost 5 years ago now.

Is small gang logi even a thing that exists? Mainly what I remember was being instantly primaried (which I don't mind) and no one wanting to fight us because we had a healer.

Pvp isn't really the reason I came back (RVCMF is) but I do have the pvp character that I wouldn't mind taking out if I can find a group that fits.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Are newbie tacklers still a necessary part of fleets? I figure if I can't find a goon group with which to small-group logi I can at least run something like that. I used to fly Griffins in Delve when I was new.

I was never good enough to solo pvp and I pretty much don't have a clue what null is like now. But while I wait for VideoGames to accept my app I figured I'd look around for something for my pvp guy. I can fly a whole lot of poo poo but I don't know what's popular or what works these days. I keep hearing that small gang is suddenly important and that's cool but I don't feel like bringing Rapiers and Scimitars and t3 poo poo when I'm this clueless.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Are there still options out there for newbie pvp? Kinda like RvB maybe, is that still around?

My character's pretty old so I'd look like some 40 year old in a mall karate class, but whatever. There's got to be somebody that does small group frig/cruiser stuff that I can learn from.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

RVCMF's first mining op is officially a success.

VG & Rock, I'm along for your crazy ride.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Umokka seems to work for us while VG learns the game - it's close to the old home base and close to Jita.

Eventually I think someplace quieter would be ideal. Umokka is a mission system with upwards of 40 in local sometimes and only 12 belts. 12 is an okay number, but pre-downtime these belts are picked right over. Normally I'd push for something outside Caldari space because I hate its busy-ness but there are some spots even without leaving Lonetrek that might work out better in time.

We'll sweat this stuff later, though. For now VG, you just keep on bein' you.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

http://www.minerbumping.com/p/the-code.html

Ah, 'highsec' is under the sovereignty of James 315, the savior of highsec. In order to avoid being suicide ganked, you have to purchase a permit and follow The New Halaima Code of Conduct. If you want, you can contact Globby in game and I can sort that out for you, for a low price of 10 million ISK for an entire year.

Hey. You're a jerk.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Khablam posted:

In time you'll learn ways to safely pay it forward. Skillbooks for free and basic equipment sold at build-cost to real newbies who want to get involved with your guys is probably a light way to start, but probably easier to react to what you're asked for. A skilled orca character would be helpful once you have more than a handful of miners on hand at once; getting one going and in a T2 fit hull costs over a billion. In fact if you don't have one in corp already I might donate my alts time :)

I have an orca/freighter guy but it's not in corp to deter wardecs.

Side note: RvB ain't bad! I don't think I got on a single killmail last night but I don't care. Most definitely saved a bunch of dudes from dying in two separate fights, even in a little shitbird navitas. Those things are strong.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

It's been a lot of years since I was in GSF, but two names stick out to me as being the friendliest teachers around. Kismeteer and Anela Cistine. So I'm actually kind of uncomfortable watching the bitterness in this thread :(

Thanks for teaching me how to heal and also how to not die, dude.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

goninzo posted:

Always help newbies, man. I always enjoyed that. I was sad to see Anela Cistine go too. Glad I made a positive impact on your space life.

I hadn't done any pvp in years until last night, and it amazed me all the stuff that I ended up remembering from your classes in like, 2011.

I'd spent the last 3 days sitting in station convinced that I had forgotten everything and had to start over. Actually I was so convinced I wouldn't be able to keep up that I passed on all the goon groups out there and joined RvB instead. But then I got out there and started healing people and it was like, oh yeah align out this way, and watchlist this bait person, and it turns out I remember a lot.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

VideoGames posted:

Have a screenshot of Boulder, thread :D

~I was there~

Seriously though helping VG out is pretty cool. We got your back, friend.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

VideoGames posted:

I love how pretty this game is! I want to make lots of silly posters for RVCMF.

I tried my hand at making banner ads back when GSF requested them. Somebody bought one of them, even.

Though my original banners nearly got me laughed out of GSF because I was so positive.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

CheetoRamen posted:

RVCMF ought to run a gulag rock-based chill rehabilitation program for d-names and drama queens. "Fill the Orca to the brim to not be banned for your badposting" :toughguy:

No boats. *door slams shut, window opens, a big red tugboat goes toot toot*

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Shade2142 posted:

Boat joined SA to post in FYAD.

That may be more goon than any of you.

I remember an actual FYAD poster applied to GSF once. He had a postcount of something like negative ten thousand and kept getting denied by the automatic auth thingy until he posted in the eve thread asking why.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

VideoGames posted:

I can confirm that I am really having a blast with this game. In fact I am having more fun with EVE than many recent games I have played. I am excited to log on all of the time! :D

The public channel reminds me of Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie. Whenever VG is not on screen, someone comes into our channel and is like, "where's VG?" Happened three times last night.

You are a goon hero.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

RVCMF friends:

I still don't think Umokka is our final home. The belts have been getting weaker and weaker each day (due to our overwhelming mining force) and now after 3 mining ops I don't know if we could do another one today. It's barely 5 hours past downtime and the system is picked over.

Good news - There are a couple systems nearby that don't get picked over as much that we can use if we have to. Ruvas and Kamokor beyond it don't get mined out as quickly as Umokka does, because they don't have many belts.

Long term - We went to Umokka with the assumption that some of us would be missioning. I don't know if that's the case. If VG or other people in the corp want to mission in Umokka, we can keep it as the HQ and I can move my miners on my own. Moving my miners isn't an issue, however I want to keep the orca near the HQ so it can continue to boost our mining ops. Umokka was also chosen because it was close to VG's career agents, and if those are done with maybe we don't need to stay.

I looked into it a little bit and I have my eye on a potential system. Before I suggest anything though, it would help us to figure out what we need from a system. Missions? Lowsec access (for exploration people)? Close to Jita (or is another trade hub ok)? Close to Saranen (a few goons in corp have commented on this being a nice thing)?

More good news - If we do decide to move, our freighter guys can probably have everything moved in an hour or so. If we decide we hate the new area, no problem. Move right back.

It's VG's decision to make, and we don't need a decision today. This is more a longer term thing. I'm pretty certain however that we can find a more suitable mining area without having to leave Lonetrek.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

i said this on ye olde goonefleete dote come but I'd really like there to be some sort of initiative where dudes get grouped up into smaller units, squads if you will, it'd really go a long way towards alleviating that lost in the crowd feeling multiple people have mentioned

When I was in waffe individual squads were pulling fleets of 100+ dudes sometimes. Still plenty possible to get lost in the crowd. Hell I was in Theta for a year and I can only name like three people that were in it.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Hagop posted:

Thanks for the info everyone, is VG's ROCK VENTURE CHILL MINING FRIENDS the places for turbo newbs?

It's one of them. Welcome, friend.

To be fair though, Goonswarm Federation is another place for turbo newbs. They have different things to offer a newbie than we do. I prefer RVCMF, but we're not the only game in town.

e: I shouldn't leave out Groon either. I don't know if they take newbies though?

Ad by Khad fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 7, 2016

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Umokka was a disaster today, but we still ended up finding a way to have an impromptu mining op even without you VG.

Like VG says, "enjoy yourselves, friends! You are all valued and you are all wonderful!"

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

TimNeilson posted:

Groon does indeed take newbies.

Cool! So that's three options for a newbie goon. Groon is the only one of the three I haven't tried, but I'm a trainwreck at solo pvp and at living in nullsec in general.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

VideoGames posted:

I am very glad. I cannot always be around because my EVE capable machine doesn't always travel with me but it makes me happy that RVCMF continues to mine and be chill in my absence :3:

That system I had my eye on turned out to be a wonderful mining haven that I think you will like. I sent you some mail with the details but basically it's a quiet set of systems still close to Jita, still close to Saranen, still in Lonetrek. I moved my miners there thinking it would be temporary until Umokka's belts recovered but then most of RVCMF followed me here!

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

OWLS! posted:

We love newbies. We love them lots and wish to press them to our space bosom. Be cute, a bittervet will throw isk at you, give you a skillplan, and maybe mentor you. I think we still have that going.

Also last night was p. cool. killed a lawn fleet that outmanned us (And probably outcomped to be fair), murdered a tinkerhell cyno cane out from under the drop, and hosed up killing Suas' machariel.

How useful are logi ships out there? Part of the reason I skipped over groon to go to RvB is that my shiptype of choice doesn't really work solo. RvB is fun but pretty dead outside of EU TZ, and EU TZ is usually when I'm helping with RVCMF.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

RVCMF misses you, VG. I've been answering questions in the corp/public channel while you're gone but things have slowed down a lot. Fortunately everyone in the backlog waiting to get into corp seems to be cool about it.

No problems to report, but it'll be nice when you're back. My other character joined Groon and I'm excited to heal some spaceships.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Skill injectors need a drat warning label on them. I went from "hey maybe I'll finish logi frigates 5" to "I'm already down x amount. what's another billion?" in about ten minutes.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Gone out on three ops in my space cleric ships, no one has taken any damage all three times.

Apparently the galaxy is so afraid of groon that the things we catch don't even fight back? welp

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

My streak of "ops where groons kill poo poo but nobody needs healing" was broken woohoo

T2 logi frigates are kind of fun. Am I supposed to orbit what the enemy is shooting at like some kind of reverse newbie tackle? The falloff change to remote reps seems to be a big deal; reps kept breaking on anyone more than about 10km away from me.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

pmchem posted:

Realtalk: in a show of appreciation for good posting, will the coalitions/alliances/corps in this thread set Videogames' corp blue so that he's not unintentionally ganked by them in highsec or shot if he makes an ill-advised venture into Saranen?

I think this is something the thread can get behind!

This would be cool since VG likes to go exploring. I know VG wants to avoid politics though, and we keep the valuable assets out of RVCMF to avoid wardecs.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Got to heal dudes for a couple hours today. Denying people killmails is more fun than getting them.

Couple days ago I asked if I should be approaching/sticking to the person in my fleet being shot and got no answer, today I tried it and the extra healing throughput saved a couple expensive ships that would've otherwise died. My ship was worth 1 mil so I didn't care if approaching their primary got me killed, and in the end it didn't anyway.

Logi owns.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

VideoGames posted:

A member of the corp left today and it has really bummed me out. :(

Don't be sad, VG. I just needed to move that alt into something else right now.

I enjoyed being your orca guy and helping you find a place to mine. There's a whole legion of goons out there that are rooting for you and will help you if you ever need it.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Space priesting for groon is going pretty awesome. I don't know wtf I'm doing half the time but the other half I'm saving lives and ~denying killmails~ and it owns.

Question: I restarted my PI empire and the prices right now are completely bonkers because of citadels. Any ideas how long this is going to last? This is like, saudi oil money or something. I'm a subcap logi guy and don't know where to even begin to spend all this.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

okay videogames i think it's time you bought a permit ok

if you don't im coming for you

for every procurer of his you kill, I'm going to buy him three.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

I was the token groon in a fleet that roamed to Saranen tonight. We got about 15 kills and had instalock svipuls chase us around unsuccessfully for half an hour. I got my first solo kill ever (I started playing in 2006 I think) because the FC convinced me to not fly logi this one time.

Between this and the ability to make 700 million a day in syndicate for 90 minutes work, do I dare call Eve Online a good game?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

LemonDrizzle posted:

So have you guys taken up damage control farming now?

Some of us. Not me though, I'm a Christian spacepilot and I don't believe in flying ships with guns.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Joining groon was a really good decision. I'm fucken terrible but I can still contribute meaningfully in a lot of ways and I very much did not slip through the cracks like I did in every single squad I tried in the bigger goon guild.

To put it in perspective how bad I was at standing out: Miniluv purged me after I was only in it for 3 days for not being active enough, then I got a payment of 800 million two days later for all the freighters I had helped with.

Dirt farming in syndicate pays more than enough to keep me in nice ships and the groon crew is full of people I actually want to hang out with, which is the first time I can say that about an eve group. I joined looking for small-fleet space priesting; I got exactly that and more.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I don't know how your MiniLuv story of making 800m in 5 days from scanning freight puts how bad things were in perspective. But we haven't purged anyone for activity in 6 months. And even if we were staying up-to-date on activity requirements, you cannot get purged for activity related reasons before you've been a member for 3 months.

What more than likely happened is you got caught up in a recruitment snafu where I hit 'accept all' instead of 'reject all' for a batch of about 20 people that were getting rejected. But they didn't last 3 days; they lasted 30 minutes before I PM'd each of them and explained what happened. If that wasn't the case, welp, poo poo happens; but you could've PM'd me or another leadership dude (we have 2 for each time zone) and figured out what went wrong, why you got booted, and how you could reapply / get busy with us.

But I'm glad you're having fun with Groon :shobon: No one should really be criticized for playing the game how or with whom they want. Unless they're part of the Highsec Militia :frogout:

I appreciate your post, but this happened a long time ago and Warr Akini didn't seem to care as much at the time. I probably joined at exactly the wrong time or something.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

So in 6 weeks I've gone from "hey Videogames is doing a cool thing, maybe I should play eve again" to "hey maybe I'll pvp even though I suck at it" to FCing the regular groon late-night standing fleet. Syndicate is a fun, lucrative place to live and I am enjoying the heck out of groon spring.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

Bagged a 5b viator and then made bank by convincing the victim into buying his own loot back from me at above Jita value. A good night in Syndicate.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

VG it feels like ages since I gave you my hulk for your collection. I hope you are well and still enjoying video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

One of my only two good memories of being in Goonswarm was the secret santa I participated in where my santee (who ran a JF service) requested an mspaint of his JF dying. In the time between him requesting this and me delivering, his JF actually did die and he lost a bunch of poo poo that was being hauled for other people.

Even back then, 5-7 years ago, he was so rich that he didn't give one single gently caress about losing his JF. I can only assume wealth has become even more concentrated since.

• Locked thread