Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I will say, personally, I think most alliances intrested in living in and holding their sove are better off holding 2-4 constellations rather than say a region or two. To me, that's the most sensible thing to do with the Aegis sov mechanics. See: Horde holding 2 constellations in Querious (I don't really cound the stuff up north as that's not really space that was intended to be lived in long term).

I know you're not really interested in Defending Your View On Sov right now, but sov warfare theorycrafting is interesting to me because I play this game for Space Empires and large scale, so I'll just pick this up and roll with it and whoever actually wants to respond can. It seems to me that when you combine this with lower player numbers, this only makes Flanders' scenario of "anything too far from empire will simply get abandoned" even more likely. If there's no way to feasibly hold the doorstep space you need to defend the space you actually want, what other option is there? Even an alliance of GSF's size probably should consolidate down to a region and extras at most, but if astrography dictates that you have to take more than you can hold in order to defend what you actually need then who's going to bother with deep null?

There's also the question of whether that 2-4 constellations is ever going to have the carrying capacity to sustain an alliance capable of defending it, but that's not strictly a question of Aegis sov so much as it is a question of whether CCP thinks there are enough rewards in null to justify the effort of holding it and whether those rewards scale.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Xolve posted:

At the danger of sounding like I agree with some of the people here... aren't you the "LOL Titan Commands are hard, pls don't troll me" guy?

Ah, but you forget, that never happened, he was trolling all along! :allears:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Eminai posted:

No, you see, this will promote more engaging small gang fights, because if you bring more than 10 dudes to the party, you'll get DD'ed off the field.

LOL if you think half the people we're fighting wouldn't drop titans on a 10 man gang.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

The Viceroy thing was fine. Just evil enough.

The CFC/Imperium simply became fat from spending two years unopposed. The real fighters left for more active groups because fights need a fight. In their place and we recruited thousands of bears. Who had no problem staying because "not fighting" was just what they wanted.

The whole viceroy thing would perhaps have been a fine way to get those fights, but maybe it needed to have happened earlier, or have targeted other parts of 0.0 (who mostly already hated us) instead of lowsec (who hardly gave a poo poo about us except as a source of ~content~).

That said, I don't know if the problem is precisely "too many carebears, all the fighters left", except maybe in the specific context of supercapitals (but that seems like it was inevitable as long as PL et al could out-escalate us, which they could always do except in the specific situation of the Halloween War/B-R where we had the Russians in tow).

There were plenty of ways to get smaller-scale fights in the past two years from various SIGs or even (to a limited extent) from home defense, and indeed for the one HUGE TIMER EVENT of this war we were still able to pull something like 2k, which was enough to win (for example) 6VDT. It's just that our enemies pulled 4k, because we finally managed to piss off too many people (or, perhaps more accurately, too much money.)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 29, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

To be fair. It's not a cost issue. But when we adopt a doctrine the market needs to be able to supply the thousand or so ships needed along with all fittings.

This is pretty much what he said, yeah. Mostly I just thought we learned that lesson after that hilarious failure of a TFI doctrine back in...what was it, Fountain?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I think I get what he was trying to say but I wish I didn't.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

The CFC failed because we continue to make long term strategic mistakes under the mistaken assumption that our single direction "Bro Pact" will one day be reciprocated. Basically despite constantly talking about twisting the knife, every single time we get a knife into someone we immediately go all limp wristed, like we caught a spell of the vapors at seeing blood or something.

I'm not sure whether this is because of a lack of viciousness on the part of leadership (or too much sympathy for PL) or because

Landsknecht posted:

the cfc failed because people don't have to play a game

and we don't have as many players crazy enough to simply camp a deadzoned staging system forever or do all the unfun poo poo it would take to sit on (what was left of) PL's supercap fleet forever. Even PR- only lasted a month before we didn't have enough people to hold it, and remember when we were going to stamp out BoB wherever they dared to rear their heads in 0.0 again? How long did that grudgefuck last?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 29, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Landsknecht posted:

the new sov system is a vast improvement because the previous one was just an escalation challenge

Except, as we are discovering, the new one is also an escalation challenge. This is nothing to do with Fozziesov itself, so much as the fact that all PVP in Eve is, given enough resources, an escalation challenge, and if you can describe a full scale sov war between the MBC and the Imperium with two words they would be "enough resources".

For all that supercaps are penalised out of directly taking nodes, Fozziesov has been no exception to this rule, since the entire point is that it's about sustained grid control, and the side with supercap superiority can always keep the field clear of enemy heavy assets (even before they got the ability to directly clear that field back) and that superiority means they couldn't be dislodged since the only viable counter to "N supercaps" was "N+1 supercaps". We'll see if the nerfs to supercap durability change this and allow a large enough force of non-supercaps to dislodge them.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 29, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Landsknecht posted:

supercaps have been nerfed a lot, and you could probably use (now cheaper) suicide dreads to blap a lot of them

This is the reason I'm still considering keeping my sub past this month, yeah. I'm unlikely to ever get into a supercap but I no-poo poo loved flying dreadnoughts back in Delve II and aftermath, and if there's more reason to re-acquire and hop into a Revelation then I'm all for it.

Cruisers-And-Below Online is all well and good (and more fun than I thought it was going to be, DBRB fleets aside), but I still love that BC-to-DN space even if CCP's been neglecting it up until now.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

pugnax posted:

Any chance those cruisers have their MWDs on and have multiple extenders/rigs that bloom sigs? Not saying you're wrong, just that all cruisers are not alike.

They were coming out of warp onto a gate at zero, so no they didn't have MWDs on. No idea on fits though, I imagine you could check the killmails if you actually cared.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Deadtear is the hero we need but not the hero we deserve (and definitely not the hero we will get).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

Oh I enjoyed doing it. For a few hours a week. But then hundreds of people lose their minds because all their Eve possessions are going to be lost in hostile null stations and you just can't stop shipping to go play some FO4. You have to finish it.

You've been one of the better posters ITT and I hope you stick around even without being in GSF. Also, if/when you get back into the logistics game, charge Horde what you're actually worth. :sun:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

but I have had to admit to myself I just cannot go on DBRB fleets. I feel on the road to recovery now :unsmith:

Speaking of which, is there any way in Mumble to check a local mute list without having to find the target in whatever channel they're in? I think I may have muted DBRB like four years ago and forgot about it until I tried to go on one of his fleets last week, which ended about as well as you would expect for an op in hostile territory where you can't hear the FC.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

I can honestly say that the reddit thread is the last thing I wanted.

And I have to be truthful about why I'm leaving. If I say "toodles!" and just run off then people will get the wrong idea.

People are already getting the wrong idea, though. Just like when Blawrf left or Endie left. We just don't know which people have the wrong idea, whether it's the people on reddit running with ~the narrative~ or whether it's the non-direkkktors ITT who think the narrative is exaggerated or baseless or misunderstood or hypocritical because they trust Dear Leader. And we'll never know until someone decides to actually substantiate what they're accusing people of.

You can be as truthful as you like. But if you want to keep people from getting the wrong idea the only way you can do that is to fully present the right one. Otherwise people take what you say and fill in the blanks for their own purposes.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Archenteron posted:

Evilweasel has been making some low-to- no-hurf, real talk, good posts. Can we make him CEO?

Why would you punish him like that?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

CainFortea posted:

What makes serpents so much harder than gurmistas? Or are you talking about having to watch for hostiles?

I think it's mostly that drone ratting may not be the best way to steer newbies now that AFK ratting isn't safe in our space?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Zephyrine posted:

Shooting in game is of course not even close to this.

The only reason you are concerned about GSF still knowing who your alts are, after you told them who your alts were, is because it means they can be shot in game now that you've joined GSF's in game enemies.

Your objection to this makes no goddamned sense.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

jm20 posted:

PI puts you on a dangerous path in eve, a schedule. If you've ever run reaction chains, or mining pos you can extrapolate what this entails. If you haven't good luck :downs:

Can the API finally tell you when your reactors expire? When I tried PI having to keep track of when to reset those was the worst part.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Ynglaur posted:

After reading VG's write-up I really want to buy that book. Oh, that's right: CCP won't go through the extra 15 minutes it takes to enable publishing on the Windows Kindle client. Don't have iOS or Android? Too bad. :argh:

To be fair, I don't think CCP published the book, they just authorised it?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Massasoit posted:

TISHU is pretty annoying but EO doesn't specifically hate GSF.

This is probably why the post you're quoting specifically referred to "the biggest (individual) GSF haters in EO" as annoying and douchy rather than the whole corp (as opposed to, say, NC./TEST/TISHU where that behaviour is more common - speaking of whom, does anyone know where that ticker came from given that their alliance name is Psychotic Tendencies?).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Is there a skill required to gun citadels like there was for POS gunning?

• Locked thread