Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan
All appologies for being off topic, but I just saw the just announced 2016 Hugos Nominees and I now need a place to go vent.

As a relative SA newb and only having payed attention to the EVE forums this past year, I'm over due to exploring what else SA has to offer, anyway. Where should I go within SA to help relieve my frustration over the whats been going on with the Hugo's before I end up radicalizing and going all Sayyid Qutb on MRAs and related parties?

Fake Edit: Sure was a shock when I tried to post this and it kept failing because I had not realized the old thread was killed. Gosh, I hope this request isn't even more inappropriate in the new more neutral discussion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

VideoGames posted:

Just send an application and welcome aboard!
The tax rate is 0.5% and all you have to do is have fun, chill and mine!

I'm still sitting on an unused 60 Day account code... I think this weekend I'll redeem it and apply the new character to RVCMF in order to relive that new player experience with you. :3:

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

VideoGames posted:

I have grown quite fond of the name, so I might keep calling them that if no one is too bothered!

Gurmistas = The Schism :downs:

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

vandalism posted:

I want to join the rock Bros Corp. How do I get in there?

Jazzzzz posted:

Open your corporation window, search for "Rock Venture", right-click on Rock Venture Chill Friends Mining corp, click Show Info, click Apply to Join

I pulled down PyFA the other night and so far like it better than EFT minus a couple of bugs (it doesn't want to import damage types from the clipboard properly, and has crashed once or twice after being left open for a while)

Or go here: www.linkedin.com/jobs/rock-ventures-detroit-jobs :cheerdoge:

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

VideoGames posted:

And the only thing I am not willing to lose is Rock.

Learning to let go of attachments will allow you to enjoy this game (and life in general!) even more than you already do and for a much longer time.

Loosing ships is life here. Attachments to assets can be toxic in EVE. Harder to get over the loss because of attachment. Learn to loose stuff right away, with frequency. :D

Celebrate the the good times learned with Rock by using its destruction (on your own terms) to generate even more good times and memories and gaining personal skill. Have your first 1v1 pvp with an another corp member with Rock. Venture Games can be quite fun. Or even better, let these these experienced players that have joined your corp set up some bait operations with you.

I just watched the scaredpanda's Fanfest presentation from a few weeks ago, she just started playing EVE 9 months ago. She didn't have any interest in PvP and actively avoided it for the first couple months. A fun time with some experienced pvp players helped make her EVE experience even more fulfilling. Now she loves killing things in little frigates. Even getting sniped during her streams doesn't really phase her.

Don't buy a CODE. mining license but also embrace that fact you may now end up being a target for them because of messages posted here. You'll learn to be a better, happier miner/player.

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

Foehammer007 posted:

okay zeph

are you girl or guy

im so sick of every other post changing your gender.

The profile states gender is 'Porpoise'. :ms:

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

Ad by Khad posted:

RVCMF misses you, VG. I've been answering questions in the corp/public channel while you're gone but things have slowed down a lot. Fortunately everyone in the backlog waiting to get into corp seems to be cool about it.

No problems to report, but it'll be nice when you're back. My other character joined Groon and I'm excited to heal some spaceships.

I sure hope our enthusiasm won't burn him out... thankfully its all still chill. :D

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

VideoGames posted:

I got distracted by the space map and decided to visit a cool sounding name and ended up 22 jumps away from my starting point. I saw some Gallente stations today.

I remember the first time I set out to see a cool sounding named system.

Old Man Star

I died from a gate camp. :3:

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

Do you have a central place / forum / site / podium where you discuss your goals and conduct community engagement as a member of the CSM?

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

MysteriousThing posted:

Slack, Twitter, jabber and so on.

That answers community engagement part, but what about a (singular?) place someone can go to view what you yourself publish/maintain as to what you are doing in this representative capacity in EVE Online. (Without having to track it down via piecemeal over the social network venues... because :effort: )

Thinking: For a newbie to the game, whom wants to take the representative democracy seriously and seeks to figure out, what's that one place they can go to see what you are up to while representing them. (Without them having any clue as to looking you up on Slack, Twitter, etc.) Something you put together as a opposed to a source made by others (i.e. æ.)

I'm sure you are aware that there are plenty of free and easy to use services you can use for this purpose, though I'm now surprised to see it seems that you don't have anything like that.

A CSM diary in the form of a public Google Doc page would be at least something.

(Edited with some hope at clarity.)

Pale Peril fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 31, 2016

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

MysteriousThing posted:

[...]
1. I don't take notes, never did; not in college and not now. I keep everything in my head.
2. At present there isn't really anything I could document for outside viewing. I could say something like "Making off color jokes within earshot of the exchange server causes our meetings to get dropped". This is true but is doesn't offer insight into the substance of said meetings. Offering any specifics into the subject matter would violate NDA. It's tricky and would be easier if my platform was based around something specific and not the over-arching behavioral psychology of the NPE or gasp~ CSM Reform.

I can say that I have presented CCP with a wealth of reading materials in terms of NPE and player psychology.
http://truecenterpublishing.com/psycyber/psycyber.html I can link this here because it's not private information. In university I studied the research of one John Suler, who literally wrote the book on greater internet fuckwad theory. CCP has come to an understanding with me that when I make some confident statement about the social or behavioral implications or outcomes of a proposed change that I know what I am talking about. They haven't asked me at any point to present them with citations and they have so far not once questioned my certainty or knowledge on this subject matter.

It's fortunate that CCP Ghost is the producer for the NPE team, because this means that I don't need to break down any of my words into lay-speak. I can make statements and proposals rich with psy-terms and not have to worry about people having no loving clue what I am trying to say.

Hrm... Perhaps I should have worded something different than 'CSM Journal'. Not at all implying the need of something that is a log of the minutia that goes on at any of the meetings. Nor am I prying to get otherwise NDA info.

No, what I am getting at is there is a practical need for there to be something that people can go to in short order to better understand what it is you're trying to do in CSM, sourced straight from you. That first step someone new to all this would take just to simply find out what you're agenda is. For example, a place easily found that has a statement explaining your views as to good ideas about improving the New Player Experience. (You may have said this very thing in Slack, or referenced in a Tweet, or mentioned in a streaming podcast as a guest somewhere... but none of that readily accessible.)

It would be more interesting and engaging to have a source to draw from instead of the more prevalent 2nd hand / 3rd hand remarks from other parties in forums that focus on the negative or simply regarding you as a joke-stick'n-it-to-CCP time bomb. Yes, you've got plenty of notoriety as a derisive personality. Yeah its often entertaining. But you're obviously investing your time into this, taking it with some seriousness, not quite seemingly in it for just the ride.

Of course you're not under any real obligation to report the the player base about your agendas and are free to continue your pointed focus in the direction of CCP as you see fit.

While the layman's "But mah rep'nzen'tayshun!" :argh: pseudo-social contract perhaps may not be of much concern to you, but it might behoove you to take the time to create a platform where you can explain to those you represent such things as the why behavioral psychology applies... even if its not lay-speak (or no matter how annoying it may be to try do, to actually try to break things down for a wider audience) as CCP staff may simply be politely humoring what you are telling them. They're not likely to be confrontational to you concerning your sources, background, or ability. (Successful businesses are not run like a forum thread.)

If I was you, I'd be concerned if they are not questioning you or your sources, that there isn't debate or process to reach consensus with what you present. If true, if they really are simply just putting up with you as non-confrontational as possible, it might be nice to also have that company's customers behind you and being supportive if your ideas are right. :pitchfork: With a good enough idea, the community will demand it.

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

evilweasel posted:

lets discuss something more interesting, like what the gently caress this guy was doing: https://zkillboard.com/kill/54351595/

Hey! I put a lot of :effortless: into that post! :colbert:

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

stop engaging xenuria

No joke honest to gawd truth, on the bus home Sunday night, I was thinking about social concepts relating to EVE and after some thought I decided one aspect of this I wanted to do, is try to engage a dialog with Xenuria and low and behold I see him on here today and I preceded to do just exactly that.

What a wonderful, weird and crazy word we live in. :dance:

Pale Peril fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 1, 2016

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

Eonwe posted:

hows it going

Howdy, doing good and you were missed!

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

frozenpussy posted:

that's fine and if the situation arises I'm pretty sure you'll have people to fill the PVP need because people space-love you.

:neckbeard:

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

Bloody Pom posted:

I'm strongly considering making a poor life choice by resubbing and making an alt. If I'm looking for chill times instead of Saranen hellcamps, would GROON be a better choice?

Or should I just throw caution to the wind and rejoin GW on my main?

EVE Online Starter Packs are .99 cents at Amazon (US) right now. Comes with 30 Days and a Cerebral Accelerator booster.

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

ullerrm posted:

Only benefits new accounts. At best, you can sell the Cerebral booster -- but even that isn't very useful given the state of skill injectors.

I guess should have edited his quote better instead of just bolding part where he mentioned the need for an alt...

E: That flash sale is now over, its back to $19.99.

Zaradis posted:

If this worked for existing, but expired, accounts I would kiss you on the lips.

:quagmire:

Pale Peril fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 8, 2016

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

Divine Blob posted:

I did the 30 day thing for .99 cents on Amazon, and I couldn't train into a mining barge because the 30 day thing was considered a trial account. So they suggested to me I just buy two plexes, and use one to SP inject into the procurer. And the other one to get membership.

I started a new alt using the same discounted 99 cent Core Starter Pack from Amazon and these are specifically not in trial status when activated. (Equivalent to a code of getting a CD key activation.) I also double checked this just now and was able to inject a trial restricted skill and add SP to it. I haven't added a credit card or used a PLEX with this account yet.

If you got a PLEX and activated it in-game, you should have 60 days of game time. (74 if you happened to have started a trial account first.) I hope maybe this is what you meant by 'membership'.

If another player required you to give them a PLEX in order to join their corp, however, then I'm afraid you was taken advantage of.

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

Discussion Quorum posted:

~Oct 4, 2016 19:04~
Fast forward 3 months: "cancer Rorquals" being a real thing
:buddy:
(Still catching up after long absence...)

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

Unfunny Poster posted:

When do the accelerators expire?

"The compounds are only guaranteed to function until YC119/01/20."

If your referring to duration, its 24 hours (though if have the Biology skill, you can double it at V.)

Pale Peril fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 25, 2016

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

nex posted:

in food related news, did you know lobsters can turn green? like they have this green roe in their head or whatever, but this can also go into the meat. it was dripping green food coloring all over the place. after cooking the meat turned white like normal.

link for gross image: http://imgur.com/a/K9ags
:stonk:
I do thank you for not in-lining that image...

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan
https://twitter.com/RixxJavix/status/814528059181268992

Be interesting if a bunch of money "just showed up" so that he doesn't go back to jail :scared straight:

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

Denis posted:

Hello, is this the EVE chill thread ?

There's been no love for the chill thread. There isn't even a 2017 post there yet as of this post. :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

VideoGames posted:

Well it's pleasant to not deal with negativity and just laid back chat now and then. If all you surround yourself with is bad then it kind of permeates through you and becomes you. I don't think we want that!

I'd like to think that VGs positive influence someday starts a new religion. :buddy:

Anythings better than the Bob poo poo. :colbert:

J.R. Bob Dobbs is the one and only true Bob. :argh:

• Locked thread