Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

OhFunny posted:

OK, there's one problem with fists. I attack so rapidly that I knock enemies out of their downed state before I register they're in it and hit Y to do the execute move.

I mean, depending on the combo, you can just repeatedly skip them between the standing and laying down stunned states.

Do people use the weapon specializations much to shift scaling priorities on the normal difficulties? I tend not to stack a single stat (like my current runthrough is heart stamina strength ninjutsu all in equal amounts for maximum odachi and fists) , so the difference between any given specialty is like 30 attack power in either direction. Or is that mostly just a thing if your running two of the three of a stat to shift away from the weak one (like say, de-emphasising skill for a medium armor spear build)

Also - end of normal difficulty ninjutsu builds are absolutely bonkers. Granted it's been a couple years since I've played mage, but it feels like Shrapnel bombs and the greater shadow arts have scaled so much better than the magic shots / shikigami that it's not funny. Line up two and it's basically confusion on demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I usually do tune towards dex or magic, depending on what I'm doing with my character. that's typically after a bunch of other tempering being done though.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

How the hell does a boss like Gyuki make it through QA? It wasn’t even that hard but what an absolute jankfest.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

it's likely that gyuki shipped with some outstanding bugs. happens all the time.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

It’s not that it was buggy, it’s just super poorly designed. The camera cannot cope with being up under an enemy that size and that combined with some kind of weird behavior makes the fight feel super janky and bad. I think I beat it basically the intended way and it felt like a cheese.

Just a fundamentally flawed boss in my opinion.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I assume they realized it was a bit of a janky fight because they don’t keep pulling Gyuki in for side missions or boss gauntlet type affairs like a lot of the other targets.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Team ninja just can't resist the allure of huge monster the size of a building but every one they've tried in nioh, stranger of paradise, and wo-long all either actively suck or are just tedious

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Captainicus posted:

Team ninja just can't resist the allure of huge monster the size of a building but every one they've tried in nioh, stranger of paradise, and wo-long all either actively suck or are just tedious

taotie's significantly better now that it's gone through a few patches, and it's at least got a camera that lets you see incoming attacks this time around

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Vermain posted:

taotie's significantly better now that it's gone through a few patches, and it's at least got a camera that lets you see incoming attacks this time around

Depending on your new game+ cycle, I would rate taotie in new game as tedious and taotie in new game+ as actively sucking (the +5 morale boost and relative time waste increase is large), the only thing that matters is your spirit damge, not actual damage, so a bunch of weapons, spells, and martial arts aren't worth using.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Vermain posted:

Ehh, the triple homing energy blast is still pretty difficult to see coming.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Captainicus posted:

daidara isnt that bad, it's a quick setpiece fight that's also not even remotely difficult, but yeah, their big bosses are just lovely. gyuki was much easier when i stopped locking onto him

Vermain posted:

i just replayed a part of wo long before i got really annoyed at it (it really just made me want to play nioh 2 again, so i did) and the taotie fight was still dumb and unfun IMO. large enemies with charge attacks have really annoying hitboxes to deflect and taotie's 2phase is annoying

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Near 1000 hours in and I still have fun just fashioning it up and taking random shots

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Captainicus posted:

Counterpoint : so far, Nioh 2 is the only game I've ever played that let me tussle with an entire castle. Not the guys in the castle, not the lord of the castle, the loving CASTLE.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
that fight sucked tho

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Lady Osakabe is probably the best one of those types of boss fights they've done. I mean, it's still annoying, but it is at least functional in a way that Orochi or Umibozu aren't.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

What is the worst giant boss in the niohverse could be one of the great debates of all time. There are fantastic arguments to be had on all sides.

Personally, I can't consider osakabe the least bad when its basic conceit is being attacked from off camera

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Begemot posted:

Lady Osakabe is probably the best one of those types of boss fights they've done. I mean, it's still annoying, but it is at least functional in a way that Orochi or Umibozu aren't.

Osakabe is also the easiest to cheese. You can just rifle or cannon the eye stalk in the distance to the side and directly damage the boss. With roaring gun and Cannon shots you can drop her into dark phase in like 15 seconds on standard difficulty and kill her outright in like a minute without having to punch tentacles at all.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

you can also do this p fast with feathers or storm kunai. as ever, giant bosses are made much easier by not engaging in melee until the boss is staggered.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

CharlestonJew posted:

that fight sucked tho

My apologies, I can't hear your objectively wrong opinion over the sound of my beating a castle to death. With a stick.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
There are no "good" giant bosses in the Nioh series, though Lady Osakabe is probably one of the better ones. She is relatively free from camera or hitbox jank and she can be tackled fairly easily both ranged or melee. In case of melee though she kinda becomes a hearing test and if you have problems in that area she can be really frustrating until you learn the rhythm.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I fought her by just being in multiplayer and not having to worry about everything going on on the other side of the roof

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Lady Osakabe is annoying if you're rocking short-ranged melee weapons. Her tentacles are often juuust out of range.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
I found Lady Osakabe insanely frustrating and was ready to throw in the towel and roll up with a gang of cats. Then I learned she was bugged to attack constantly if your frame rate was too high.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Tiramisu posted:

I found Lady Osakabe insanely frustrating and was ready to throw in the towel and roll up with a gang of cats. Then I learned she was bugged to attack constantly if your frame rate was too high.

I heard about this bug but never experienced it. What happened after? Did you cap the frame rate and proceed to stomp her as if you'd been training in a hyperbolic time chamber? :)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Phew. Just beat Against All Comers in Dream of the Nioh. It was tense, and tough--died twice and most surprising was the near point-blank cannon shot from a ninja girl (Numi?) that just spawned. Managed to take on both Otakemaru and William in a single attempt.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Autsj posted:

I heard about this bug but never experienced it. What happened after? Did you cap the frame rate and proceed to stomp her as if you'd been training in a hyperbolic time chamber? :)

This is exactly what happened. Attacks went from having overlapping coverage from blind angles to giving literal seconds of breathing room between tentacles. I had time to line up a leisurely hand cannon shot or throw down feathers and do a little dance. It was like the scene in Spider-Man where he dodged a punch and had time to just look around the room.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Tiramisu posted:

This is exactly what happened. Attacks went from having overlapping coverage from blind angles to giving literal seconds of breathing room between tentacles. I had time to line up a leisurely hand cannon shot or throw down feathers and do a little dance. It was like the scene in Spider-Man where he dodged a punch and had time to just look around the room.

Perfect in every way (apart from the bug being silly and annoying).

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I bought this at release and then never finished it, but I'm trying it again. I finished the first Nioh and enjoyed it, so I'm pretty familiar with the combat. I recall Odachi being a pretty good weapon for novices, but I did Katana/Kusarigama in Nioh 1. I also see that Fists are unlocked with one of the DLCs and they seem to be very good according to the internet. I'm at the snake boss now, who is whooping my rear end, but I'm pretty sure I've beaten him before.

Is there some sort of issue with the DLC on the PS5? Only one that it let's me do through the game is the Tengu one (which I bought at some point). The other ones I have to search for manually on the Playstation Store.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Yea there was some song and dance required to get the DLCs if you installed the PS5 upgraded version. I can’t remember what I did. It may have involved deleting the PS4 version off my hard drive. I think I posted about it but that was years in this thread.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I just beat that loving snake, so I’m not near any of the DLC, but fist weapons are dropping so I assume it’s installed.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I just beat that loving snake, so I’m not near any of the DLC, but fist weapons are dropping so I assume it’s installed.

Snake is a big difficulty spike (heh) for a lot of people, so the next few missions should be smoother at least. Kinda wish they didn't nerf the soul attack it gives you (used to criss cross multiple times and insta-poisoned almost anything), was a nice reward for clearing the fight. And yeah if you're seeing the DLC weapons then the other content should be there when you unlock the regions.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

In Nioh 1 I did a Sword/Spear build, mostly because the Ii armor and spear are so badass. I may do that again, but I also want to try an onmyo or ninjutsu build. Now that there are some specific magic scaling weapons, it seems more fun.

If you go heavy onmyo, are you still mostly relying on talismans and weapon buffs, or do the actual fireball type spells start doing good damage? I’ve heard that high level shurikan/kunai builds start to do good damage as well.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

In Nioh 1 I did a Sword/Spear build, mostly because the Ii armor and spear are so badass. I may do that again, but I also want to try an onmyo or ninjutsu build. Now that there are some specific magic scaling weapons, it seems more fun.

If you go heavy onmyo, are you still mostly relying on talismans and weapon buffs, or do the actual fireball type spells start doing good damage? I’ve heard that high level shurikan/kunai builds start to do good damage as well.

The basic stuff does fairly decent damage if you go hard on magic. I don't know if you could carry enough to kill a boss without swinging your weapon, but you could make an strong attempt!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Ninjutsu is better for pure ranged firepower, at the expense of utility and elemental variety. Onmyodo can deal significant ranged damage, but the buffs and debuffs that stack a fight in your favour are the star attraction.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Darth Walrus posted:

Ninjutsu is better for pure ranged firepower, at the expense of utility and elemental variety. Onmyodo can deal significant ranged damage, but the buffs and debuffs that stack a fight in your favour are the star attraction.

Ninjutsu does have some elemental nukes further down the skill tree, they don't have a lot of uses but they're powerful and hit a wide area. Really nice to have for bosses.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Nioh 2 is one of the best games I've played for not having to worry about a specific build if you don't want to. I kept all my stats equal and used a different weapon for every map and cleared DLC3 in something like NG++ just fine. If you really want to min/max things I'd still say fully unlock every skill tree, find the abilities that are the most fun to you, then respec with those attributes in mind.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Weapon stats contribute so much to your damage you can even do lv 1 runs if you are good at dodging

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So you want to hit at least B toughness and, ideally, A Agility? Internet says with the Ii clan bonus you can hit B toughness and A agility with the Red Demon armor. I’m thinking a Spear/Tonfa build for regular game, but I still need to get to the armor first.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
there's no thread for it but you guys probably know enough about it. was that one final fantasy game any good? the one that was basically nioh

idk how much replayability it has compared to nioh but it looked pretty neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

there's no thread for it but you guys probably know enough about it. was that one final fantasy game any good? the one that was basically nioh

idk how much replayability it has compared to nioh but it looked pretty neat

Stranger of Paradise? I certainly enjoyed it. The way it translates all the classic Final Fantasy classes into a Nioh/Wo Long-style ARPG is rad. It's surprisingly clever about how dumb its story is, too.