Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Snak posted:

Just to triple check, the digital deluxe edition comes with the season pass?

I should probably just get it...

Yes. Theme Is bitchin too. And I don't care about themes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
I haven't bought a game from a retail store in awhile, do deluxe editions usually get retail releases?

edit: Amazon doesn't seem to have anything. Maybe I'll just get the digital version

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Yardbomb posted:

Maybe some day :sigh:

Nah, nobody is going to make a commercial brawler with tank controls again

The only hope is an indie game

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DatonKallandor posted:

Just like the Souls games, Nioh has the thing where you hit the "help" button (it tells you at the bottom which button it is) to explain exactly what something means. "ki recovery (critical)"? You can just ask the game and it'll tell you. Nobody who streamed the game used this, including the ones who claimed to be Dark Souls players. But it's been a thing since Demons.

I used these in dark souls, but they were largely poo poo that didn't provide any new information and certainly didn't clearly inform new players of really critical things like encumbrance changing your roll at certain breakpoints, stability making blocking use less stamina, and adaptability increasing roll invincibility frames (possibly the most egregious example in that series). In cases where they did, it was largely with really brief and vague language that could be interpreted many different ways.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

I used these in dark souls, but they were largely poo poo that didn't provide any new information and certainly didn't clearly inform new players of really critical things like encumbrance changing your roll at certain breakpoints, stability making blocking use less stamina, and adaptability increasing roll invincibility frames (possibly the most egregious example in that series). In cases where they did, it was largely with really brief and vague language that could be interpreted many different ways.

I definitely agree that they could have been better, but it's a feature that all games should have. There are games where you have to find some other screen that describes the UI, which is so much worse.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The help descriptions in the Souls games got better with each one, I thought. The ones in Dark Souls were done pretty vaguely, but the rest were pretty helpful.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I was able to figure out all the mechanics in Nioh just by trial and error and using that Help feature to highlight things and get explanations like was just explained.

But I did the same in souls too. Lots of people claim that "you have to look stuff up online" in those games, but I feel the exact opposite. Looking up the wiki spoils your first run. You only get to play the game blind once, after that all subsequent playthroughs are somewhat spoiled by you knowing what's going to happen and what all the game amounts to.

As long as you're observant then you can easily figure everything out blind yourself. But if you are the kinda guy who tends to miss things, I mean, juts like dark souls there's some subtle things like how the scaling and attributes work.

But there's no adaptability, no. Just weight percentage determines your roll.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I didn't really understand how scaling worked until i read about it online. Nioh has words and not just icons, so it straight up says "this weapon scales with this stat". Which is probably going to help people who play Nioh who have never played souls.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Snak posted:

Just to triple check, the digital deluxe edition comes with the season pass?

I should probably just get it...

Season pass and some extra armor and poo poo.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I'm at that point in games I'm excited about where I want to read everything about it I can. And also avoid everything about it for spoilers. Gimme dammit.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Anybody has experience pre ordering ps4 games on greenmangaming? I managed to buy it digital for 57 dollars with no tax. Just hoping I get to preload by monday.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Oriental Hugs posted:

Anybody has experience pre ordering ps4 games on greenmangaming? I managed to buy it digital for 57 dollars with no tax. Just hoping I get to preload by monday.

Pre-loads on the 5th.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Pre-load is up now if you can deal with the puzzle that is PSN.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just preordered earlier tonight through psn. Do I need to do anything else to make it preload?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I was only able to get it going by to the "game page" in the menus outside of the store and that had a DL button.

1. Go to the shop and click your Deluxe Edition.
2. Thumbs up it.
3. Go back out to the main menu and go to What's New and scroll down to you thumb upping Nioh.
4. Click that and click Game Page.
5. Download button in the upper left.

Those were the steps that worked for me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

library, purchased, nioh, download

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

library, purchased, nioh, download

This shows that it's already going. However, it only shows a 12gb dl instead of a 39gb dl like the full game is.

So I'm gonna check back i a bit and see if it shows progress towards the 39gb after it finishes the 12.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
12 gb is the playable section (as in you can start the game up with that amount).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I get that. I'm wondering when I'll be able to see the total dl progress.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.
Had no idea preload was up, so thanks for the heads up. Started the console, and it immediately began to download. Went to notifications-->downloads to verify, and it's going all the way to 39.355 gb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Preloading now :dance:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Really cool thing about new game+

THIS IS NOT A PLOT SPOILER SO FEEL FREE TO MOUSE OVER THIS :siren:

You aren't tied to the new game+ like in souls game, its just an additional difficulty level added to missions, you can still do missions in new game if you want or just to gently caress around, not only that but new game+ takes a page from Souls 2 and Ninja Gaiden and switches up enemy lay-outs and adds more enemies to boot in both the normal and twilight variations.

Also right now there's a level 310 new game+ twilight mission. :stare:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Alteisen posted:

You aren't tied to the new game+ like in souls game, its just an additional difficulty level added to missions, you can still do missions in new game if you want or just to gently caress around, not only that but new game+ takes a page from Souls 2 and Ninja Gaiden and switches up enemy lay-outs and adds more enemies to boot in both the normal and twilight variations.

Lol Nioh > Dark Souls erriday

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Alteisen posted:

This is some real cool poo poo.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snak posted:

Yeah, I get that. I'm wondering when I'll be able to see the total dl progress.

go to the game tab on the home menu (the thing you select to launch it) and hit options, then select information. that'll show your actual download progress

Alteisen posted:

that's really cool

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
This is sounding more like diablo than dark souls (in a good way)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

WaltherFeng posted:

Lol Nioh > Dark Souls erriday

That's what happens when you work on a game for 13 years. :madmax:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Yeah, like Duke Nukem Forever.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

go to the game tab on the home menu (the thing you select to launch it) and hit options, then select information. that'll show your actual download progress

that's really cool

Yeah, I know that normally works, but when I did that last night, it still just said out of 12gb.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Yodzilla posted:

That's what happens when you work on a game for 13 years. :madmax:

Tell that to Too Human. If only it was more than four levels long.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
What's the deal with no major reviews out yet?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The game is too hard for them

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Monolith. posted:

Tell that to Too Human. If only it was more than four levels long.

Please trigger warning any mention of that game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Look at these losers. Can't even wait a day and have to check on their download.

*checks ps4.

Mine is just sitting on my dashboard. Triangle info says its 39 gigs. So I guess I'm good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The wildly different opinions about how hard the game is compared to Dark Souls, Ninja Gaiden, etc. are really interesting. Ninja Gaiden itself had a notorious reputation for being hard as hell when it came out, and then they released a few updates for the original XBox game that made it *EVEN HARDER* in some ways but also more fair, culminating in Ninja Gaiden Black and then Sigma on the PS3. But Nioh, Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden all approach their difficulty in slightly different ways.

With Ninja Gaiden spatial awareness of where everything is the most urgent and important part of the game's combat, way more than Dark Souls because outside of some really specific ambushes in the latter games you always know where your enemies are way before they're at a point where they can demolish you. Part of Ninja Gaiden's difficulty came from it having a lot of fast aggressive enemies (with more effective long range attacks too as well as better defensive abilities) while you were running around with pre-set camera angles so you'd have guys kicking your rear end before you could even clearly perceive where they were at. Those updates they patched in, while they weakened some of Ryu's moves, main balanced things out by improving the camera and giving the player more control over it. The improvement in the experience is comparable to going from MGS3 to MGS3 Subsistence.

Then in Ninja Gaiden II what they did was throw hordes of enemies at the player at once but made their AI worse. So it was a bit more like FInal Fight where you'd be brawling through everything constantly and just keeping an eye out for the one or two key moves that group of enemies had that would shut you down. The other addition was that enemies could now fight on after being dismembered, which would often give them much slower but also more powerful and desperate moves.

After that when they released Sigma 2 on the PS3, they reduced the number of enemies you fight at once while making them much more savvy at blocking your attacks and kicking your rear end again. But they ALSO made it so that enemies that are off screen are waaaay less aggressive than they ever were in any previous Ninja Gaiden game, so it balanced out.

Anyway it's interesting because while the basic controls of the Ninja Gaiden games haven't changed much from version to version, the pacing of the combat varies massively just by subtly adjusting how aggressive off screen enemies are along with the configuration of the camera itself, making it easier or harder to know what to focus on.

In the alpha demo for Nioh you had enemies just rolling up and getting in your face from any direction as soon as they perceived you, and they weren't territorial like in the Souls games either. In other words they started out with it being more like Ninja Gaiden than like Dark Souls (understandable since they made Ninja Gaiden). Later versions of the demo have become closer to Souls with territorial enemies you can get to lose interest in you. So I can see how if someone was coming off of that they would definitely think it was way harder than any Souls games. Plus unlike the Souls games you generally don't want to gamble with throwing out a big move that will empty your stamina since you're dead in the water for a bit after doing it while in the Souls games you can at least still block and walk around. But this made it a bit more like Ninja Gaiden. Ninja Gaiden doesn't have a stamina bar, but instead of Nioh using it JUST as a general "you can't wail on dudes forever" limit like in most games, in Nioh it's used to encourage you to fight more effectively by actually switching up stances and weapons more often than I ever felt the need to do in any FromSoftware game. The game system both building and encouraging experimenting with a ton of stuff in that way is awesome and I hope other games that imitate Dark Souls or even FromSoftware itself rips it off in a future game.

There's a reason I like this beyond just the combat itself, I know some were mentioning how cool it is that Nioh actually tells you how the weapon scaling and some other things work in the game itself. But having to switch up techniques regularly also means that I never felt confused or like I was making a wrong choice while upgrading skills and stuff. By the time I had a bunch of points I had a feel for what stances did what, what I might be using more often, this is a huge improvement over the upgrading and weapon selection in the Souls games because having those upgrades provide new and different movies with a little preview video offers an immediately accessible flexibility. You really feel like you're learning how to play the game effectively and it's ridiculously satisfying when that comes together in the game itself.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Looking forward to a 7/10 polygon review because they don't know how to pulse or switch stances depending on the stage of the fight they're in.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The majority of the gameplay videos I've seen no one uses ki-pulse or flux and I get triggered

At least it shows that you don't need total mastery of the system to beat the game

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

there wolf lmao posted:

What's the deal with no major reviews out yet?

Supposedly Polygon spent 8 hours in the first area alone and only managed to finish it thanks to coop.

Not sure on other outlets but there's a lot of revies around already.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I think the addition of multiplayer is gonna whup people into shape wrt pulses, and stance/weapon switching. I'm gonna have a blast creaming pubbies for the first month after mp release.

Lol: https://youtu.be/ZsUDgVnUs5E

My favorite part of this video is the rampant button smashing sound you can hear.

knobgobblin fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

there wolf lmao posted:

I think the addition of multiplayer is gonna whup people into shape wrt pulses, and stance/weapon switching. I'm gonna have a blast creaming pubbies for the first month after mp release.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to focus on playing through the campaign at first (especially since MP wont' be out at release) but I'm super looking forward to Nioh pvp, more so than souls, because you have so many more options and things to learn instead of just timing your swing or your roll just right.