Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Something I have learned: Iaijutsu is the most important thing ever, wowza.

I made fun of the game a lot when I saw it on a stream but actually having played it and gotten half-decent at it over half an hour it's a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm surprised so many people didn't like the second mission, I liked it better than the first. Those onis are actually pretty fun to fight once you get a weapon that damages them effectively.

Besides Way of the Samurai and Onimusha, this game gives me pretty serious Godhand vibes with the way to deal with groups of enemies and the pace at which things can quickly go wrong if you choke in combat.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Beat the demo, but I don't think I found any shortcuts. :downs:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Anatharon posted:

Beat the demo, but I don't think I found any shortcuts. :downs:

That's amazing.

...not even the door by the shrine before the first boss?

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I can totally see missing the shortcut back to the first shrine... But the door for the third one?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

I totally disagree. The first boss is not very difficult, has very straightforward visual cues as to what's happening, and his moves are not difficult to dodge once you know what they are. Nue is a gimmicky unintuive one-shot fest.

But I mean, that's my taste in soulsbosses too. It's not an objective judgement, just my preference in gameplay.

same. not a nue fan.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My third video is now up. This one goes from the third shrine to opening the final shortcut. I don't explore the whole area, but I go through each shortcut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sitYIRRYYeM

This game can't come out soon enough.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo, the Kekai Talismans are insane. I think I'm conditioned from Souls games to think that anything that makes your stamina regen faster is going to be a relatively small buff, but ohhhhh no. Kekai Talismans make your Ki regen lightning fast and it's amazing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just tried Onmyo Magic for the first time. drat it's good. This game is so good. I am gonna be so mad if it doesn't come out this year.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

I just tried Onmyo Magic for the first time. drat it's good. This game is so good. I am gonna be so mad if it doesn't come out this year.

I haven't done a ton with the elemental talismans, but enough to know that I'm pretty sure (if the stats stay how they are) I'm probably going to want to like Heart/Skill/Magic in the full game. Kekai Talismans on their own are incredible and Sloth Talismans are really useful, too. The elemental weapon buffs seem to add good damage and I'm gonna guess it scales with your Magic stat.

Incidentally, Heart seems like it may be a bit too good. Not only is it the only stat that increases your max Ki, something every build needs, but it also gives you pretty good Life per point and scales katanas. Maybe the point is that every build should be able to use katanas reliably, even if you're more of a spear or axe build, which I kinda get, but it also makes a very Heart-focused build extremely tempting--you'll have decent Life, really high Ki, and great katana damage. It could also be that I'm not valuing the high amount of Life that Body gives you enough--maybe every build should have some Body, meaning that spears would be in a good position--but when every stat gives you at least some Life, the "this is the main Life-increasing stat" thing feels less vital.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 3, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I haven't done a ton with the elemental talismans, but enough to know that I'm pretty sure (if the stats stay how they are) I'm probably going to want to like Heart/Skill/Magic in the full game. Kekai Talismans on their own are incredible and Sloth Talismans are really useful, too. The elemental weapon buffs seem to add good damage and I'm gonna guess it scales with your Magic stat.

Incidentally, Heart seems like it may be a bit too good. Not only is it the only stat that increases your max Ki, something every build needs, but it also gives you pretty good Life per point and scales katanas. Maybe the point is that every build should be able to use katanas reliably, even if you're more of a spear or axe build, which I kinda get, but it also makes a very Heart-focused build extremely tempting--you'll have decent Life, really high Ki, and great katana damage. It could also be that I'm not valuing the high amount of Life that Body gives you enough--maybe every build should have some Body, meaning that spears would be in a good position--but when every stat gives you at least some Life, the "this is the main Life-increasing stat" thing feels less vital.

Soulsgames are kind of the same way. Life-increasing stats vary in value depending on playstyle and game, since each soulsgame has stats balanced a bit differently.

I haven't done anything with weapons besides swords yet. I really want to try spears before the demo ends, but I'm afraid I'm not gonna have time to try very much. I have school projects due this week.

edit: Heart seemed the like the obvious super-stat to me at first as well. But I feel like diversifying a little bit can get you a lot more power. Initially I was just leveling heart, but I started seeing gear that had higher requirements in other stats, and I think that 1 point in Magic gives you more elemental damage per hit than Heart gives you physical damage, so I don't think teching Heart is good for a pure burst dps build. Which means it's more complicated than it initially seems. So it might be the case that Heart is a really good, safe stat to stack, but it's far from optimal to focus on.

edit: Short (~3 minute) video I made of taking down the first boss (Onryoki) with Magic and Living Weapon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGnBguUKlrc

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 3, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Soulsgames are kind of the same way. Life-increasing stats vary in value depending on playstyle and game, since each soulsgame has stats balanced a bit differently.

I haven't done anything with weapons besides swords yet. I really want to try spears before the demo ends, but I'm afraid I'm not gonna have time to try very much. I have school projects due this week.

edit: Heart seemed the like the obvious super-stat to me at first as well. But I feel like diversifying a little bit can get you a lot more power. Initially I was just leveling heart, but I started seeing gear that had higher requirements in other stats, and I think that 1 point in Magic gives you more elemental damage per hit than Heart gives you physical damage, so I don't think teching Heart is good for a pure burst dps build. Which means it's more complicated than it initially seems. So it might be the case that Heart is a really good, safe stat to stack, but it's far from optimal to focus on.

edit: Short (~3 minute) video I made of taking down the first boss (Onryoki) with Magic and Living Weapon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGnBguUKlrc

The elemental talismans seemed to add a pretty good amount of damage.

I might also be looking at Heart through a Dark Souls lens, where increasing your Stamina via stats is basically the only way you're going to do it in meaningful amounts. In the Nioh demo, I've got plenty of armor pieces that give extra Ki, so my original belief that every build will need high Heart might be off. I also wouldn't be surprised if skilled Nioh players consider Ki to be a crutch the same way skilled Souls players sometimes consider HP a crutch--just like how you don't need much HP if you rarely get hit, you don't need much Ki if you're reliably good at Ki pulsing.

Living Weapon reminded me that I might end up being a pretty big fan of Spirit, too. Living Weapon is basically what won me that boss fight, but I wonder how much Spirit affects the duration and charge rate of your Living Weapon.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also if you look at the spirit guardian screen at the shrine, guardians have levels, so presumably leveling up your guardian will be an aspect of character building that's not included in this demo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, that's also true. I'm curious how the Spirit stat will shake out in the full game and whether it'll be necessary if you want to really get use out of your guardian spirit, or if it's going to basically be a third type of magic: Dexterity for ninjutsu's tricks, Magic for onmyo magic's activated buffs and debuffs, and Spirit for the passive buffs you get from your spirit and more frequent/longer-lasting Living Weapon.

It's that more frequent/longer-lasting Living Weapon part that's making me really want to level Spirit, though. Living Weapon is strong as hell and is a great "oh god drat it I pulled four enemies" button. But the thing I'm curious about is whether I'll have Living Weapon available frequently and long enough for my purposes at low Spirit, or if high Spirit makes it so frequent that you can just tear through whole groups of enemies with it fairly regularly.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I hope that I can remove the weird red braids from my bird spirit animal in the full game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

But I love the weird goofy braids. Spirit chicken is adorable :3:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I haven't used any of other spirits but do they have things that look out of place like the braids? If so maybe we'll get some sort of spirit customization in the full game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Evil Eagle posted:

I haven't used any of other spirits but do they have things that look out of place like the braids? If so maybe we'll get some sort of spirit customization in the full game.

Braids? Does the wolf spirit have braids?

I've used the bird, and it looks out of place in the sence that it's a giant loving peacock looking bird. it's great though.

I think there's going to be a whole lot of interesting build variety in the final game.

Unlike souls, there are are only the 3 weapon types. But presumably Ninjutsu and Onmyo Magic builds will be viable with all of them, and focusing on Spirit could be a bit of an alternative build where you do a lot less damage normally but ramp into really powerful living weapon frequently. I doubt there are going to be any real "caster" builds, which is great, because I hate poo poo like that. But before the demo ends, I want to experiment with a pure Ninjutsu build and see how effective the poison is with really high skills.

I saw that it's theoretically possible to poison the first boss, but I didn't get his poison bar to actually fill up, so I don't know how much damage he would have taken. So I'm gonna try that and a spear build before the demo ends, I think.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

I think there's going to be a whole lot of interesting build variety in the final game.

Unlike souls, there are are only the 3 weapon types. But presumably Ninjutsu and Onmyo Magic builds will be viable with all of them, and focusing on Spirit could be a bit of an alternative build where you do a lot less damage normally but ramp into really powerful living weapon frequently. I doubt there are going to be any real "caster" builds, which is great, because I hate poo poo like that. But before the demo ends, I want to experiment with a pure Ninjutsu build and see how effective the poison is with really high skills.

I saw that it's theoretically possible to poison the first boss, but I didn't get his poison bar to actually fill up, so I don't know how much damage he would have taken. So I'm gonna try that and a spear build before the demo ends, I think.

Onmyo magic is the kind of magic I've wanted in a Souls game for a while: it's very thoroughly designed to complement your melee abilities, not to replace them with boring lasers. In the demo, it has one extremely strong buff (Kekai Talisman, Ki regen shoots through the roof, lasts a good amount of time, too), a useful debuff (Sloth Talisman), and a way to temporarily add elemental damage to your weapon (this it has in common with Souls magic). I'm really curious to see what it'll have in the full game. I suppose it's similar to Souls miracles, but the casting animations--how quick they are, mostly--makes it easy to work it in during a fight in the way that you kind of can't in a Souls game.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Harrow posted:

The elemental talismans seemed to add a pretty good amount of damage.

I might also be looking at Heart through a Dark Souls lens, where increasing your Stamina via stats is basically the only way you're going to do it in meaningful amounts. In the Nioh demo, I've got plenty of armor pieces that give extra Ki, so my original belief that every build will need high Heart might be off. I also wouldn't be surprised if skilled Nioh players consider Ki to be a crutch the same way skilled Souls players sometimes consider HP a crutch--just like how you don't need much HP if you rarely get hit, you don't need much Ki if you're reliably good at Ki pulsing.

Living Weapon reminded me that I might end up being a pretty big fan of Spirit, too. Living Weapon is basically what won me that boss fight, but I wonder how much Spirit affects the duration and charge rate of your Living Weapon.

I can't use a lot of Katanas because my Heart stat is so low and I still have like 140 Ki. There's a ton on weapons and armor and just :gitgud:. Ki Pulse and Ki Dodge your way to victory.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

It's also important to note that different Spirit Guardians have different Living Weapon stats, including damage, duration, charge rate, etc.

Which means that even "Living Weapon-based" builds could have quite a bit of variety.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Belzac posted:

I can't use a lot of Katanas because my Heart stat is so low and I still have like 140 Ki. There's a ton on weapons and armor and just :gitgud:. Ki Pulse and Ki Dodge your way to victory.

Yeah, I figured that people who are good at the game (unlike me) would find high Ki to be unnecessary because Ki Pulse lets you have functionally unlimited Ki if you're good at it. And I'm still in a Souls mentality where I figure stats are going to be the main source of Stamina, when Nioh has plenty of weapons and armor that increase your maximum Ki.

I should do that spear build before the demo goes away. Maybe Body/Strength/Magic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah as soon as I realized onmyo magic let me cast fire on my sword, I started playing around with it more, and I like that its not just pew pew lasers. The elemental effects don't last too long but they're pretty powerful, so it rewards you putting more points in for extra casts (and there's no attunement bs) although I do kinda miss the mana system from DS3/ DeS. I always liked that better than spell-charges.

Spirit chicken is my bro.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm guessing that we'll be able to level up each individual onmyo magic spell farther in the main game than we can here, so eventually the number of uses should get pretty high. In the demo the amount of uses you get for each elemental talisman is really low for how many jutsu slots they take. You get plenty of Kekai and Sloth Talismans, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah as soon as I realized onmyo magic let me cast fire on my sword, I started playing around with it more, and I like that its not just pew pew lasers. The elemental effects don't last too long but they're pretty powerful, so it rewards you putting more points in for extra casts (and there's no attunement bs) although I do kinda miss the mana system from DS3/ DeS. I always liked that better than spell-charges.

Spirit chicken is my bro.

I like that there's a gauge that shows you how much time is left of your elemental effect. That's something I really wish soulsgames had. Soulsgames have bars for things like poison, but you never know how much time your resin/firepaper has left.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

I like that there's a gauge that shows you how much time is left of your elemental effect. That's something I really wish soulsgames had. Soulsgames have bars for things like poison, but you never know how much time your resin/firepaper has left.

Yeah, buff timers are fantastic and it's really baffling that it never got implemented in a Souls game. That they're visible for all buffs is really nice.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Few questions. What's the timing for Flashing Heaven? The only finisher I can pull off is Kick. :v:

I've managed to get the timing for Haze and Water Shadow down and it's SO SATISFYING to do that. Which parry is the one that lets you grab a sword to stab a guy when barehanded, though? The timing one, square one, or triangle one?

Is there any real difference in the elemental damage for the demo? Only difference seems to be Lightning paralyzes and Fire has a DoT so water's pretty lame. I do like the minimap icons for Sense Enemies in new areas, though. It's saved a lot of time.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 3, 2016

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I'm pretty sure that water lowers the enemy's physical defense.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What does earth do?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Earth lowers their ki regeneration rate. That or ups the ki cost for moves. Not entirely sure.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Anatharon posted:

Few questions. What's the timing for Flashing Heaven? The only finisher I can pull off is Kick. :v:

You can manually set which skills are used, and when there are two that can be used in the same stance I think the newest one acquired replaces the old one.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Anatharon posted:

I've managed to get the timing for Haze and Water Shadow down and it's SO SATISFYING to do that. Which parry is the one that lets you grab a sword to stab a guy when barehanded, though? The timing one, square one, or triangle one?

Is there any real difference in the elemental damage for the demo? Only difference seems to be Lightning paralyzes and Fire has a DoT so water's pretty lame. I do like the minimap icons for Sense Enemies in new areas, though. It's saved a lot of time.

You need to set it in the moves list in place of kick.

I think both buttons do the same barehanded parry

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Broseph Brostar posted:

You can manually set which skills are used, and when there are two that can be used in the same stance I think the newest one acquired replaces the old one.

Heaven Flash is an Up+X finisher, and does not conflict with Kick, which is a Triangle finisher.

I can't make it work consistently either, but the best I can figure is that you have to be right up against them. But it still seems totally random when it works. It will also work when you are just holding up, but that hasn't made it any easier for me to pull off consistently.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Started a spears + onmyo magic guy. Spears own.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Is there any rhyme or reason to why the spinning throw move for axes will sometimes work and sometimes not? I just want to chuck people about :negative:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I probably should have checked to see if there was a thread because this game is rad as poo poo and I like talking about it.

The first time I went through the demo I inadvertently did a mostly high stance katana run because doing ki pulses to keep stamina up and then respectfully sheathing my sword was loving crack to me because he will actually flick the katana and blood will actually fly off of it in the surrounding environment.

Finished doing a run last night where I only used spears and only in mid stance and had fun just using the move that flips you behind people because it absolutely fucks over the ninjas. Also pole dancing the spear and kicking people in the face to do more ki damage means more floor stabs.

Also realized when you destroy the lightning buff on the Nue you can just sit there and whack at him 4 our five times before he stops getting staggered every hit.

This can't come out fast enough.

EDIT: Also going to see how far I can get doing low stance on Axes since I have yet to try anything with either of those.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 4, 2016

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I fell in love with spears replaying the demo last night. I can't wait for the full game.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well I managed to brute force my way through the first area of the demo with mainly medium stance sword. Never figured out Ki Pulse or how to use the bow, but I had fun. Definitely feels like it'd be more rewarding to work that out before I play any more. Probably won't get round to any more before the demo time is up though. Will probably grab the actual game at some point, depends on when it comes out though.

Inventory system is kind of clunky but I never found the filters and stuff so it's probably simpler than I found. It is a bit annoying picking up new stuff so often and needing to check though.

Also poking around the second area I found a small yokai that kept hitting me and stealing my amrita. Then he grew to giant size. Barely managed to beat him.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

McDragon posted:

Well I managed to brute force my way through the first area of the demo with mainly medium stance sword. Never figured out Ki Pulse or how to use the bow, but I had fun. Definitely feels like it'd be more rewarding to work that out before I play any more. Probably won't get round to any more before the demo time is up though. Will probably grab the actual game at some point, depends on when it comes out though.

Inventory system is kind of clunky but I never found the filters and stuff so it's probably simpler than I found. It is a bit annoying picking up new stuff so often and needing to check though.

Also poking around the second area I found a small yokai that kept hitting me and stealing my amrita. Then he grew to giant size. Barely managed to beat him.

I found the best way to manage inventory is to a) pay attention to the Diablo 3 style arrows next to items before you pick up up, and b) use the bumpers to go through your inventory slots as you check each slot for upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Please don't main a weapon and stance. Use everything at your disposal. Difference stances and weapons are good against different types. I see way too many people pick high stance and then forget that stances exist and then get destroyed by multiple opponents or fast enemies.