Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

Hell yes, thanks

You can tell what class an armor is by its stat requirements. Body/Skill is light, Body/Strength is medium, Strength/Stamina is heavy.

There's some differences in damage reduction between the armor classes. The difference between light and heavy is noticeable, but the difference between light and medium is pretty small.

So does it work like DS where being at a certain weight gives you some sort of bonus? Besides run speed I haven't really noticed a big difference in dodging in Light or Heavy armor. It just seems like regardless of my build it would be a better idea to just always wear heavy armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

And I've seen people talking about the different rarities of items, even named stuff. Like I have a Raikiri that's blue, but you can get purple ones? Can you reforge blues into purples, or do you just have to hope for a drop?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So does every purple item have a unique purple trait that can't be reforged?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

Oh sweet, I wondered what that was.

Yes, there's a difference. You have an Agility score that maps to your armor weight that determines how quickly your Ki regenerates and how far your dodges go. A-rank and B-rank Agility aren't that different, but it's noticeable if you're looking for it. C-rank Agility has a pretty short dodge in comparison and slower run speed. Your dodges aren't worse, they just don't travel as far.

Meanwhile, heavier armor gives you more Toughness, which reduces the amount of Ki you lose when you get hit and makes it less likely you'll have your guard broken. Light armor doesn't have much Toughness. Medium has like 50-60% more than light. Heavy has like double or 2.5x what light does.

Okay, cool. I've been rocking a Dex/Skill build, but since I'm not really into Ninjitsu I think I'll respec. If I do a Katana/Spear build, should I go mainly Heart/Body/Skill? I feel like that would give me the best returns for those two items.

And what exactly is the "Spirit Protection" stat offered by every Guardian Spirit?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Throw some spoiler tags on bosses and stuff please.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Feb 13, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How exactly does Discord work? You just need to hit them with any two elements at the same time? So I can throw a water enchant on my weapon and then use my fire Guardian Spirit thing and then just go to town on them?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I see that the elemental effect of Water "Reduces physical defense and stacks elemental build up". That sounds like it means that applying additional elemental effects to an enemy afflicted with Water is easier? If that's the case the premier way to get Discord would probably be to hit them with a Water Amulet/Water GS/Water Onmyo and then switch over to something else.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Every single revenant, every goddamn one, is wearing the Warrior of the West armor. gently caress you guys, I want something else!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

lets hang out posted:

don't worry that will eventually give way to everyone wearing red demon

That's fine, I actually want that.

What kinda scrubs are skipping out of the Genius Strategist set? That poo poo is dope.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That won't work because you can only have 1 weapon doing status / elemental damage at a time. If you are solo, apply one then swap to another weapon, apply a weapon buff or use a living weapon with a different element.

What I was thinking was to enchant your weapon with something like Fire or Water, and then use your Guardian Spirit Talisman to hit them with another element. I've been using Kato and it pretty reliably hits them with the Fire DoT, so if you used a Water Talisman and got that applied you should be able to get the Fire DoT off in one hit.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

Yeah, but the annoying ones are the human bosses who manage to scrape by for ages on a tiny shred of Ki. Then you finally get their Ki into the red and "lol gently caress you, I'm unstaggerable and also now there's a spear tornado."

I mean I beat him anyway but that annoyed me and he did it twice. One time he just headbutted me when his Ki ran out.

The human bosses suck because you're led to believe "Flashing red Ki bar" means they are unable to attack, like you are when your Ki is totally depleted and flashing red. But then you go in and not only do they block, they counterattack for half your health.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

The black one only counts as 1/3rd of a Kodama .

It's probably a percentage.

Yojimbo Crow Laws

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Deified Data posted:

So what happens if you collect all the teapot pieces in the Spider Castle?

Going to agree with everyone else that she was definitely the easiest boss in the game so far. A lot of normal enemies have given me more trouble.

It opened up the Secret Tea Room (where you can join clans for bonuses and participate in some sort of battle group), but I don't know if that's because I got all 6 pieces or if it just happens after you beat the boss

Man I used every goddamn trick in the book to beat The Red Demon. Literally used all my Soulstones to charge Amrita gauge. But I got most of his stuff. So every Revenant I fight is still just using the Warrior of the West Armor. If I just keep fighting Revenants should I eventually be able to get the complete set in purple? I really, really don't want to try and farm that guy, but I dig this set. I'm doing everything but the stupid helmet, I just haven't found something good to replace it yet. I'm using the Bandit's Bandana which looks pretty sweet. I need to refashion the set helmet into the Bandit's Bandana though, because I want the full set, but all FashioNioh.

How does Elemental Talismans work with weapons that have built in Elemental damage? Does it overwrite it? I'm thinking about mixing fire (on the spear) and Water Talismans to go for Discord. But since the armor set bonus gives you 25% extra damage to scorched enemies it might just be better to go ham on that.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Do the passive effects of Guardian Spirits increase as you level Spirit?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Crowetron posted:

Naomasa will not drop his smithing texts and I hate his dumb rear end.

I killed him one time and don't have the patience to do it again. Maybe when I'm crazy high leveled I'll do it again.

There's no "Divine Smithing Texts" are there?

Also, it's already crazy expensive to by Books of Reincarnation from the blacksmith. They're cheap at the Tea House though. Do the prices go up if I buy from there?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Does Luck increase the chance of Smithing Recipes dropping?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

For the clans bonuses, some of them say "+2% Red Demon Armor (Toughness)" or "+2% Toughness (Heavy Armor)". Does that mean that for each piece of that item you get that bonus? So a full set of Heavy Armor with that bonus would be +12% Toughness?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Relin posted:

How do you increase the clan bonuses? It has blue numbers in parentheses so I assume you can?

Someone said just staying loyal every weeks gives stacking bonuses.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Are special effects of weapons reflected in their stats? Like if I have a sword that has "Change to Attack (HEART) ==>A", how can I see what amount of bonus damage that will give me?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Holy poo poo. Between the 6-Piece Red Demon Set Bonus and being at A Agility my Ki just comes back unbelievably fast. I can just dodge around and smack people forever.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How exactly does a heavy Ninjitsu build work? Is the damage scaling for things like Kunai/Shuriken really good, or are you still doing most of your damage with weapons and just backing it up with some Ninja stuff? I want to respec and try it, but with like 10 points in it now and having 7 Kunai that do like 50 damage a pop I can't see how its effective unless there's a huge damage boost from skills.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

That duel is so weirdly placed. It's at the end of the first chapter, but is harder than anything else you can do prior to the credits rolling. After going through NG+, I'll disagree with another poster who said he's only hard because you learn him first. Even after completing NG and knowing how to deal with human bosses, he's more of a pain in the rear end than the others. All the others can be dealt with by the standard Souls technique of dodging behind them. :v:

I'm positive they made that fight so hard for the demo. It still seems really out of place considering how much harder he is than so much stuff that comes after him. I feel like they tuned him to be really difficult for that area just so people during the demo would be like "Oh my God its so difficult, Dark souls!!!!"

I also feel like every weapon besides single Katana was added at some point much later in production. There's so many Katana drops and it just feels like so much more thought was put into the balance of it. It really seems like fairly late into the production someone said "Okay guys, it's 2017 and you can't make an ARPG with just one weapon type". I literally didn't see any enemy with a Kusarigama until the 4th area.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

As great as this game is, I just can't get over how terrible the story telling is. Not the plot, the plot is fine. It's obviously very campy and not at all serious, but it's fun. It's just the unbelievably lovely exposition. You get thrown into Japan in the middle of this huge war and you'll just be randomly introduced to people over a 6-second cut scene and you have no idea who they are or what the gently caress they're doing.

Obviously most people will be familiar with Tokugawa, but half the characters are introduced in a one paragraph piece of paper on the mission select scene. Whenever there is a a cut scene you'll have 5 characters, 3 who are brand new, and they'll be talking about a whole set of people you've never even met. It's like they expect you to have a complete knowledge of the Sengoku Period and all of it's major and minor players. I live in Japan, I speak Japanese, I've even studied and read a lot about Sengoku era Japan and am pretty familiar with most of what goes on, and even I am just like "Who the hell are these people?". The random Witcher-style cut scenes after big events also don't tie into anything and just feel so forced into the game.

The combat in this game is so excellent, but it feels like they spent the first 90% of their time on that and then spent about 2 months just throwing in some cutscenes and story.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Belzac posted:

He's not wrong, I always did have a full inventory of them if you know what I mean.

Everyone please remember to remind Belzac on how すごい上手 he is with every post.

I wish someone would update the Fextralife Nioh wiki (or preferably use a wiki site that's not total garbage) so I could peep all the armor and stats whenever I please.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Gonna be a turd and say I'm not sure where the Fallen Onmyo Mages hate comes from. I was expecting a slog but it seemed fairly straightforward. Seems pretty easy if you destroy the crystals underground.

Holy poo poo I didn't know you could fight them underground first. I killed all of them topside.

And what makes me mad is not that all the Revenants are wearing WotW/Oni set, it's that they're not even fashioning them to look cool. The Hakama (or whatever the leg set is called) for Red Oni has way too many robe sections, you need to fashion it into the Red Sanada pants. Then turn off your helmet (or grab something like the Bandit's Headpiece) and you actually look like a badass.

Edit: Someone sell me on Ninjutsu. I specced super heavy into Dex with some backup skill and it just didn't seem fun. I tried Dual Swords/Kusarigama and I just felt like I was way weaker than I was with my Ki/Body build from before. Some stuff was cool, but I felt like none of my Ninjutsu damage items did enough to justify the 50 points I put in it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Fun fact: "Enko" is a slang term for young girls "dating" much older men in return for financial compensation.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Why do people think the peacock GS is good? Besides giving you the senses it doesn't seem spectacular.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

That is actually pretty good.

It's hard to beat rocking Kato with full Red Demon Set though. Your Ki refreshes so fast you basically never have to stop attacking.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I respecced into a full Ninjutsu build. Maxing out dexterity makes the Kusarigama pretty drat good. I'm just not a huge fan of using in-fight items because of how annoying it is to manage them using the D-pad. I'm trying to be non-stop moving and dodging around stuff, which makes it hard to completely stop moving for 1.5 seconds to try and throw a bomb or something.

But Quick-change scrolls, poison, and Kunai are all pretty good. A lot of the passives are good too.

I just beat Sakai for the first time and got his coat, and I'm really hoping I get to fight him another time so I can farm his stuff easier. Running through that whole burning building level to farm for his stuff would not be fun.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Poison doesn't add straight damage like elements do, you have to hit them several times to apply the poison to them. After that it works like a dot. It also doesn't count as an elemental effect for the purpose of applying Discord.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Belzac posted:

Then Don't Use It.

Stop being a oval office to everyone in the thread.

The loot system is kind of annoying because it just overloads you with so much stuff. However, it is probably overall better than the Dark Soul system of "Rush to find the weapon/armor that works for your build as soon as you start the game". You just kind of get loaded with so much stuff that unless you want to spend ten minutes after every mission picking through to make sure each thing you get doesn't have That One Stat that you want it just gets sold/dissasembled with no thought.

I think the big thing is because of how much relevant gear you're going to get from the hundreds of Revenants you can easily kill you rarely need to go farm loot, because someone already has the good item you're looking for. That will probably only get easier as the people who actually spend time farming the perfect piece will be giving it away as revenants soon after.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Really, a better inventory management system would make it way better. If you could sort things using some sort of check system like "Rare, +Attack" or something, that would make it way easier to not have to spend a lot of time just sifting through poo poo.

I do get that a lot of people actually enjoy that loot system in a spergy way though. It's not my thing, but as someone who has spent several hundred hours of life on farming simulators I can understand the appeal.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

Try hitting the R3 button.

Lol at apparently being "spergy" because someone disagrees and enjoys this loot system.

I know you can sort by rarity, but that's not a good indicator of the item you actually want.

And if enjoying sorting through hundreds of similar items, breaking them down into smaller crafting components, and then reforging them over and over so your build can do .4% more DPS is not spergy then I don't know what is.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'm not even at the end of NG but the whole game is pretty forgiving in terms of build. I like that it has steady scaling so that there's not specific breakpoints for every single stat ala DS.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The set bonuses kind of throw things off though. Since you can reforge anything to be basically anything, there's no real reason not to go for an armor set bonus, or even two different ones.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

BlackFrost posted:

Do we know how good the damage bonus is for Agility yet? Like if my Guardian Spirit provides an "A" bonus to damage for Agility and I have less than 30% of my weight equipped, how much does it affect my damage?

Someone said a few pages back that with A agility that bonus is close to 15%.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Playing the actual campaign has been about 30 hours so far for me, with no rush at all, and I probably have about 10 left.

NG+ is a whole different thing though, and you could even argue that is the bigger part of the game.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Belzac posted:

The PreRec "review" only reviews as far as they got which is the first 4 main levels. If you choose not to learn the game and treat it like japsouls you're gonna have a bad time and post like CharlestheHammer. Don't do this.

That's a weird slur to use while defending a game also made by a Japanese developer.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

A good trick for any boss is to find the element they are weak to, get some talismans of that, and then pick on of the Guardian Spirits that has an additional element. Water is the easiest to apply first, but if you can get any element on them and then use some Moment Talismans its usually fairly easy to stack Discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What an unbelievably huge pain in the dick trying to farm obsidian armor is.