Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How the heck do you execute the Up+X combo finishers for low stance? Whenever I try to do it William (the protagonist, some real world white dude who became an actual samurai in real life) does a weird dash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Man these look cool but it seems easier in game just to high stance or use axe and kill enemies in 2 to 3 hits rather than go all ninja and take 20 hits to kill something.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Yodzilla posted:

Things I'm digging:
- the loot

I'd say this is a bad point because of the static loot placement being souls style. If they're going for Diablo style loot, why would I risk trying to get loot in dangerous territory when it's going to be garbage 90% of the time like Diablo? It's easier just to farm enemies near the shrine. It punishes exploring when that should be a draw of the game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Doing a pixel perfect ki pulse just as your gauge stops being red removes the negative color yokai areas. Did it do that in the last test? Another reason to master the ki pulse now

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
What's the best way to use dual katanas? They seem to have the exact same problems as daggers in dark souls because they don't stagger too well and the speed pales in comparison to the dps of the other, slower weapons

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Emalde posted:

pick a different weapon.

good enough for me, thank you for trying to make them viable (and sadly failing)

This is not going to change, but my main problem is that there's this hand-crafted world and hand-placed loot corpses but all the loot itself is still diablo style so it discourages exploring for me when the main appeal for souls-like games is exploration

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 28, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Emalde posted:

i switched to longsword and won in two attempts despite knowing nothing about the weapon combos and having no auxiliary skills invested, active/passive/otherwise.

jfc :bang:

Just like in dark souls 3!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, I've only just got to the dock area in the first level and I'm already sold, unless the rest of the game is somehow Lost Izalith-tier trash.

What are the big changes from the alpha? I missed out on that.

There was durability and your weapons broke down really fast which is why there's diablo style loot. Now your weapons don't break and there's familiarity which boosts attack power but there seems to be max familiarity on weapons so you'll still be switching up weapons anyways

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Fire Barrel posted:

Also, as a super specific, and minor, nitpick, some of the story stuff with regards to the English sailors is a bit iffy historically speaking ( if one considers the 1600 date in the game). (I had to look it up, because it's not really my area and I didn't remember, but William's crewmen should be Dutch. I'm not sure if the game specifies this though. Also unimportant in the grand scheme of things.)

William Adams looking like Geralt of Rivia, being able to use various types of japanese weapons, rescuing kodama, and using ninjutsu and omnyo magic is 100% historically accurate

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Deified Data posted:

I'm fine with that so long as all the levels have the abundance of shortcuts that the first demo level has. It just took me by surprise.

If you quit mid mission (going all the way back to the world map/mission selection) EVERYTHING gets reset including loot

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I only unlocked one Ninjutsu and it was the spike traps you throw on the ground, but those are actually pretty darn great against the cave boss. She'll always come straight towards you relative for melee attacks and you actually have a lot more time than you'd think to see what she's doing and toss the spikes down. Unless she spams her purple blast, you may not even have to move much, so you can kind of trap her on top of them to drain more stamina away.

Some of the ninjutsu stuff is super broken/cheesy right now and I hope it stays that way because consumables need more love in video games. There's a video of the grass area boss getting stunlocked by landmines and someone beating the cave boss with just shurikens

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Pick up the talismans and extra elixir

Extra elixir seems kinda garbage because it doesn't raise the minimum you receive when you die, only the max you can hold (which is 10 default) so unless you farm elixirs or you're really good and don't actually need elixirs the +healing in the omnyo tree seems better

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 30, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXDi0AdgXOQ

:stare: I hope beating the game doesn't require this amount of technical mastery for the later areas

VVV I suck :(

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 30, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

lets hang out posted:

er aren't they the same

They're the same but you're stronger from more levels in the cave area

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Yodzilla posted:

The bats are so cheap, goofy, and bad looking I really can't be mad at them.

The goofy slipping off the cliff animation makes me crack up everytime I have a gravity based death. Apparently you can recover during it and not fall to your death.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm hoping you get skill points at the same rate at release (the locks of hair give up to 5 skill points!) but that there's going to be so many skills it'll be impossible to max everything

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Don't forget to add your 2 cents

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/nioh_b_us

switch the us to uk for Europe

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Yodzilla posted:

I'm a bit worried that with the loot system none of the weapons or armor are ever going to feel special or unique. Maybe crafting will help that, I didn't touch it in the beta.

I said this earlier in the thread but the loot system hurts the hand crafted world/hand placed loot corpses because what's the point of trying to get a loot shiny that's an obvious trap when it's just going to be consumables or a weapon worst than your current one?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
They should make this a Playstation 4 Pro launch title because it was supposed to be a Playstation 3 launch title

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Belzac posted:

Because consumables are good and your statement exactly applies to dark souls as well were 95% of the corpses are just consumable souls. You also get actual for real story in this game when you loot a corpse rather than a 15 minute vaati video a year later to explain just exactly why the spiked armor being in this location makes sense (it doesn't).

How is a single sentence voice over any different from reading a 3 sentence item description??? Also the 5% of corpses makes going for dangerous corpses worth it because it's usually a unique weapon or full armor set

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 9, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/17/nioh-to-get-pvp-mode-as-a-free-update-after-launch

Nioh going to get PvP eventually

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Yardbomb posted:

They greatly improved it by taking that out wholesale instead of trying to just change it when it'd still be an annoying and lame addition regardless, then just lowered the total weapon drops to compensate.

I haven't watched trailers or dev interviews since the last test, but Durability got replaced by Familiarity where weapons don't break AND they get stronger the more you use them with their own individual levels. Familiarity maxes out though so you'll have to switch weapons eventually

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Are the chain sickles going to be in this weekend?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Also you need to master Ki-Pulsing on top of ki management whereas in Souls/Bloodborne you just have to watch your stamina

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
One of the unique katanas last test scaled off of magic and there were some videos of people beating Tachibana with just ninja traps and another video of beating the vampire lady with just kunai (ninja build)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

Is there any indication yet of how many stats one can reasonably expect to be able to level up? Like if I wanted to be good at spears, guns, and guardian spirit stuff, am I going to be spreading myself too thin, or is there just no real way to know yet?

No way to know yet because I think read somewhere that stat point gain is jacked up for the tests but that might not be true

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I tried to do a cannon/heavy armor build by dumping my points into stamina or whatever the equipment burden stat was and even after +20 stat points into it I think I got only 1 unit extra of encumbrance and the cool looking heavy armors were still too heavy to even move around in :argh:

Hopefully there's some kind of havel's ring equivalent

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
People saying the chain sickle is just as versatile as the spear

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I hope that's just ambiguous wording but that sounds like it makes you level 1 again and you have to grind back to where you were

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I hope it doesn't have restrictions so I can "wear" the cool heavy armors without actually having to spec into stamina

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The book of reincarnation is a full respec but the price goes from 10k to 30k if you want to buy a second one

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 21, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

DatonKallandor posted:

Kusarigama low stance. Dodge behind enemies and R1 spam like it's Souls.

More like low damage stance :(

I beat the Ogress in two tries, I don't think I beat Hino-enma last demo, and I think i took 10+ tries on Oniroki or however you spell it first demo

Also if you're brand new to the game mid-stance spear is extremely easy and safe to use

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Also for new players you should be practicing perfect ki-pulse since it gets rid of the negative color pools yokai leave that reduce your stamina regen by 90% (that's not mentioned in the OP)

For stuff being locked William was at expert level or something in the previous two demos and now he's just at basic level

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

lets hang out posted:

you guys should do lobby coop, it's really fun. both players can interact with the world and pick up items and stuff and you can revive one another when you go down and it scales the difficulty up. it's the Yokai Realm with a Companion option in the torii gate. we should decide on a password so we can get matched together easily, like we did with bloodborne.

There's also an assist gauge where if a player dies it goes down and if it gets completely empty you fail the mission. You can restore it at shrines and it makes for really tense moments (also makes sure that one player isn't carrying the other one too hard)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Zaphod42 posted:

so you're saying you can't have like Wind I and Wind II at the same time now, but that just seems like balancing things better. I don't see why that means you can't make a loadout? Or that magic is automatically unvaiable?

It's not balanced that way it's just that William is at basic level for this demo while he was at Expert level previous demos and you could max out the talisman skills

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Dang I beat him by being overleveled and in low stance, I guess I was just impatient because my high stance combos kept wiiffing

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Axe/Hammer also has basic Dark Souls style movesets

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

ZenVulgarity posted:

The Muneshige fight was dope

How do I make the shrines loving shut up

Please cherish the kodama

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
For the wall yokai you're supposed to do an opposite gesture of whatever face they're making or the hints around them (it's been awhile). That's why gestures are grouped into different colors

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You can still download the demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Belzac posted:

Every single person I helped attacked them instantly except for one guy who did the emote and then attack it while it was jumping for joy that it had made a friend.

I think the only hint that you should NOT attack tanukis is an extremely vague loading tip? At least the Nurikabes had dev messages surrounding them