Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any particularly useful stuff to pick up in the ninjutsu and magic trees? I'm mainly using axes if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Revitalized posted:

Are any of the ninjutsu good against the bosses?

To add to this, are any of the damage ninjutsus good outside of a ninjutsu build?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Am I misunderstanding the 3rd Iai skill or is it just broken? Sounds like it should put you in Iai stance whenever you do a normal Ki pulse(without changing to another stance) but it doesn't seem to work for me.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ugh fighting 2-3 fast enemies at once is miserable.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Real hurthling! posted:

use stones or run

Not really an option in some places, like the side missions.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Spite posted:

I hope the full game has levels that actually have some color to them.

Also how do you use the spear? I probably suck with it, but it seems like it's a weird combo of katana and axe, but not as good as either. Destroys the drat fire wheel monks though.

The spear seems really defensive to me. Long reach, parry skills, scales with Body(health), ect.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope they just put enemy tracking as a default skill in the full game. I got used to it and now it's hard to play without the water spirit. I have item and kodama tracking from my talismans too but for those I can just put them on after I've cleared a level to find all the goodies.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yodzilla posted:

Did I just watch a man tell time with a cat?

Yeah, this game has a weird tone.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

lets hang out posted:

er aren't they the same

I think he means the cyclops.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You can hear the bats and see bat poop wherever they are so they're pretty easy to avoid/prepare for.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

WaltherFeng posted:

My friend did a kneeling down prayer gesture and the demon wall just flattened him.

This game

Speaking of those, where are all the locations? I only found 1.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
To drain all of Hino-Enma's ki do you have to just hope she doesn't do her spin attack, make a yokai circle, and regen like 30% of her bar? Because it seems impossible otherwise(at least with Dual Swords). And aside from that, any tips for her? I know how to block/dodge all of her attacks it's just that she has very small openings for you to attack and she whittles my health down faster than I whittle down hers. I guess I just need to Git Gud?

EDIT: Also I've read that there's two wall mimics in the caves level but I can only find one(right after the 2nd shrine). Where's the other?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I beat all the bosses with Dual-Swords so I restarted to do a Spear build instead. And holy poo poo do Spears feel broken.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Lakbay posted:

I'm hoping you get skill points at the same rate at release (the locks of hair give up to 5 skill points!) but that there's going to be so many skills it'll be impossible to max everything

Yeah there's gotta be more skills. The customization menu doesn't have much purpose otherwise(There are only a handful of skills in the beta that use the same input).

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ninjutsu builds are so hilariously overpowered for boss fights.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I haven't done a Ninjutsu build myself, I'm just talking from what I've read. This Reddit thread sums it up pretty well. Basically you have ridiculous amounts of throwing items that do tons of damage, and since you can fight at range it makes bosses super easy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Because what you're doing requires a lot more skill than just spamming shurikens.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Belzac posted:

In both main missions included in the demon there is exactly 0 forced encounters with multiple foes you cannot avoid or kill one before the fight begins. Any notion to the contrary was you bumbling into it when there was a better option or an optional area. It isn't till twilight and the sub mission where you have to fight anything in a group.

Headshotting an enemy before a fight is definitely ideal but its not always possible, or the headshot might not one-shot depending on your stats. In the 2nd level in particular there are a lot of multiple encounters right around tight corners.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Belzac posted:

And what ones of them are multiple enemies and not optional?

Plenty? Did you block out your memory of the beginning of the second level or something?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You can't ki pulse with fists? That's kind of a big problem.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Maybe they'll make an unarmed skill tree for the full game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hammers are just classified as axes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Doesn't salt only remove ki from yokai? I didn't think it removed yokai circles too.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Since they seem to be going with the classic wood carving designs for Yokai I hope they get into some of the really obscure ones with weird designs. For example, just from a quick browse of the wikipedia page:

quote:

Ashiarai Yashiki (A gargantuan foot that appears in rooms and demands the terrified home owner wash it)
Or a level full of tsukumogami(common household objects that come to life when they get old enough). Aka a level full of mimics. And of course we'll probably see the the namesake of the game, possibly as an end boss. Ornstein and Smough anyone? Or I guess it'd be more like Smough and Smough.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 6, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

J.A.B.C. posted:

Not Jiangshi, which are more like Chinese vampire-zombies (Sleeping Dogs - Nightmare in North Point has a good rendition), but an actual creature called Hitotsume-kozō Link Here.

Definitely hoping for more of the odd creatures that fill the Japanese canon, like the Karakasa-Obake (One-foot umbrella with one eye), Chochin-Obake (Paper Lantern ghost, like the Scream with a lantern), and Rokurokubi (Lady with stretchy neck). There's tons of weird stuff to draw from.

Yeah, the house filled with old objects that came to life like mimics would be an amazing terror level, which ends with a fight against the owner of the house, possibly controlled by the various old-rear end items he owns. Like Extreme Hoarders: Nightmare Edition.

Also the wall mimics are Nurikabe.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Chachi posted:

Was there ever anything to back up that guy's assertions or is he another success story whose "authority" is fuelled by idiot kids who watch too much youtube?

Yes? He always shows what evidence he bases theories on.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's also way more than 5%.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Nier Automata only releases in Japan in February unfortunately, the NA release will be later in 2017.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Belzac posted:

Literally 100%.

Also For Honor and Horizon both look really bad, but good luck.

Why do you think they look bad? Or is it just "Ubisoft lol"?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yuki-onna spotted!

Also I like how the villain has his own spirit guardian.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

lets hang out posted:

Old trailer with some new stuff in it
https://youtu.be/WsXnJUP99jc

Anyone know what yokai the giant skeleton with 6 arms is?

EDIT: Oh according to Reddit it's a Gashadokuro

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 4, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DatonKallandor posted:

Kusarigama is a regular weapon but you get samurai points not ninja points from it. Really hoping that changes before release.

Not sure what your point is. Samurai points are for upgrading weapons, don't worry about the name.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If they didn't change the movesets then Spears will still be an extremely safe option, while Dual-swords will be the highest DPS, Axes will be high burst damage, and I don't know what Swords excel at, if anything.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Whoever came up with that retarded hype mongering demo scheme needs to go.

They're just hats dude.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

lets hang out posted:

Here's a video, I don't know what it's from, looks like parts from a bunch of cutscenes stitched together so maybe there's spoilers, anyway check out that guy at the end :hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR_nDRIQOJY

Some real Dynasty Warriors stuff going on in this trailer.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Last Chance demo is available to download now by the way. You still can't play it until the 21st but it's like a 8 GB download so best to get that done in advance.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So the demo will be playable at Midnight Eastern Time right?

EDIT: On Friday I mean.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 19, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
More like 2 and a half weeks away.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DatonKallandor posted:

Kusarigama is loving awesome though - high stance heavy attack is basically a ranged attacked (but has no vertical reach whatsoever).
Elixirs work like Bloodborne now - excess gets dumped in your storage and visiting a shrine pulls your elixirs from storage. Works really well.
Ki-Pulse on dodges is now in for every stance, but it's a skill you need to buy with samurai points, per weapon, per stance.
Muneshiges crazy lightning sword combo is now in for players - a living weapon-only single katana skill.
Player Character spectres ki-pulse and use skills now (!).

All of this is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Monolith. posted:

I cannot wait for this.

I found the ship ogre easy if you simply ran around him when he was tossing the balls. Ki pulse the oni aura and its a snap. Is it strange that I find this game way more satisfying than Dark Souls?

The problem I had with the ogre is the tracking on the cannonballs was insane. Like you'd run behind him as he's throwing it and the ball would come out of his hand BACKWARDS. But yeah once you got the hang of avoiding his attacks it was easy. He had too much health IMO though.