Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I've taken it upon myself to get everyone through Nue. If you see a guy solo your Nue in like 30 seconds and then go ring the bell that's me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Sick tips:

Shark is objectively the best living weapon because it's the only one that recharges from doing damage. This allows you to combo bosses to death without them attacking back. As soon as you break there Ki, pop your weapon and it's a kill.

Attacking the dog right before any of his lighting attacks breaks his ki, see above for easy kill.

Breaking a bosses ki and then hitting them while they're broken gives you a full living weapon in just a few hits. See above for even easier kill.

Stay below 70% equip load for farther dodges while still being pretty tanky.

Afflicting any oni with two different elemental debuffs afflicts them with a debuff I call Yin Yang that prevents them from regaining their ki till the buffs wear off. It also instanly breaks their ki and probably increases damage on them. You can break bosses easy with flaming shurikens/bombs in combination with your living weapon. Other oni are easily broken if your weapon has any elemental type besides fire and low stance spamming to inflict it and then tossing a fire bomb. Every fog oni can be killed in just a few seconds with this.

If your living weapon is about to run out put it away (R1 + O or left d-pad) when it runs out naturally it tends to leave you winded but if you initiate the cancel it doesn't.

Get good at low stance dodge ki pulses and nothing in the game can touch you or stop you from murdering it in seconds.

How most of my Nue fights go while I'm spamming helping people: https://www.twitch.tv/belzaca/v/63657165

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I like the second level more than the first. It has more optional areas that lead into cool encounters and it's really fun to run around all the cool paths to get where you want to go very quickly without aggroing much. I'd rather they add a ton of level 2 sized levels then a few level 1 sized levels.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
This game is about being aggressive and never letting up. It sounds like you're over 70% equip load which is a death sentence. Get in the bosses face and side dash around any attack that isn't the swing. When he swings just block. Master Ki Pulse to have infinite stamina. Stop playing the game like Dark Souls.

If at any point in time you're pressing backwards on the left control stick you're probably going to die.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
i pressed the block button while facing the oni.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Harrow posted:

This person is good at Nioh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPmUPfN33a8

I want to be this good at stance-switching and ki pulse.

He's actually exceptionally bad at ki pulsing. Dodging after an attack in low stance is like the super lovely ki pulse. If he delayed his dodge by another half second he would return like quadruple the stamina. He's bascially just spamming dodge with looks flashy but is super easy. If you want to play like this guy just go low stance 99% of the time and press x after every attack.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
You're imagining it. It's just the timing. Probably because you took a second to think about what stance you wanted saved you from pressing it too early.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Harrow posted:

The elemental talismans seemed to add a pretty good amount of damage.

I might also be looking at Heart through a Dark Souls lens, where increasing your Stamina via stats is basically the only way you're going to do it in meaningful amounts. In the Nioh demo, I've got plenty of armor pieces that give extra Ki, so my original belief that every build will need high Heart might be off. I also wouldn't be surprised if skilled Nioh players consider Ki to be a crutch the same way skilled Souls players sometimes consider HP a crutch--just like how you don't need much HP if you rarely get hit, you don't need much Ki if you're reliably good at Ki pulsing.

Living Weapon reminded me that I might end up being a pretty big fan of Spirit, too. Living Weapon is basically what won me that boss fight, but I wonder how much Spirit affects the duration and charge rate of your Living Weapon.

I can't use a lot of Katanas because my Heart stat is so low and I still have like 140 Ki. There's a ton on weapons and armor and just :gitgud:. Ki Pulse and Ki Dodge your way to victory.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Please don't main a weapon and stance. Use everything at your disposal. Difference stances and weapons are good against different types. I see way too many people pick high stance and then forget that stances exist and then get destroyed by multiple opponents or fast enemies.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Well yes, if you've built your character to do exactly one thing, it's very hard to get out of it. Even still building a character entirely for spears I found the axes very helpful on the statues for instance. It's just a common trap I see a ton of people fall into when they start. They learn that if they go High they can kill outlaws in a few hits which seems really good because the less hits it takes the less chance you have to get killed back. Then they start making High stance do things it's not suppose to do by playing super cautiously and doing like hit and run tactics on fast enemies. Then they get to a boss and get destroyed unless they ultra double down on hit and run.

It's possible to make your one stance one weapon strat work. You're just missing out on the actual fun of the game. Beating a boss is a pre-requisite for progression. Beating a boss while styling all over them and never getting hit is where the endorphins lie.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Relin posted:

huh i had 3 cups this morning (havent beaten the first boss yet so i havent helped anyone) and now i have 6 for some reason. but no one's joining to help me :(

looks like they just pulled the plug, at 4:20. what an odd time to end it

If you fight gravestones they usually drop cups.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
It's not. It's in your list of purchased things in psn.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah we mentioned this a few pages back and its really really dumb. I don't completely hate the whole "missions" structure itself (different than souls but not the end of the world, and honestly pretty much how DeS worked) but segregating co-op based on which mission you're currently in and locking you out of being a phantom until you finish is straight stupid.

You don't have to complete the mission first. You can co-op for a mission you haven't beat yet as long as you've unlocked it. You can also return to the map screen at any time by using the Branches item. The only issue right now is the level resets but since the levels are small it's not too bad.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The hype cannot be contained. Based on their interviews post the first demo it sounded like they appreciated the feedback that the game was too hard but felt it very important to keep it difficult despite criticism. I'm pumped for demo number 2.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 19, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'm gonna 2kat all day tomorrow when SCEA shows how poo poo it is at updating it's store compared to their EU and JP counterparts.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Modest Mao posted:

Is this going to be up around midnight?

SCEA releases games sometime between 10am pst on tuesday and the heat death of the universe.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The cowardly back dodge after every low hit.

You can still do it, it just doesn't refresh your Ki. Now you can do this exact strat in High Stance way faster.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 23, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I am sad that pressing back no longer makes you turn around when locked on and that being a spammy dummy no longer punishes you as hard but I guess those are the sacrifices for some more mass market appeal.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

lets hang out posted:

blocking heavy attacks costs a lot more stamina now. like the first boss's ball spin will eat your entire gauge

Are you in not mid stance?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
SCEA is an embarrassment.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Thanks SCEA, you're a true group of professionals.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Beat everything available in the demo until 11pm pst rolled around and switched what missions are enabled for twilight so now i have one more mission to do.

Overall the game is a lot easier but not in a terrible way, generally things that were difficult before just have less health now and the oni have much less Ki and lesser ones can be staggered. I think the switch on ki dodge and ki finish on high and low stance was definitely for the worse. It almost feels like the intended play style is to attack once and roll back now. This is the most true in the twilight version of the sub mission which is the most frustrating part of the demo and I hope they don't focus on content like that for sub missions.

Overall still really awesome game though.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Snak posted:

Really? I feel like it makes perfect sense. High stance has the worst blocking and no counter abilities, so it makes sense to give them the evade bonus. Previously, low stance had both really good counter attack skills AND really good Ki management via evasion, making it really, really strong. The rolling ki pulse on high stance means that you can stay in the fight for more attacks than before, because some of your Ki loss is mitigated. I'm not sure why you feel you have to roll back, rather than forward or to the side of your enemy to stay in the fight. I feel like the change makes it possible to play more aggressively, as intended, in high stance. But I also haven't gotten to the new mission yet, so I'll have to see how it feels against the new enemies.

Summed up well by the poster under this but each stance before had a strength and weakness before. By switching the extra ki pulse stuff between low and high they shored up the weaknesses of the two stances making it just down to dps numbers as they can now both dodge and attack well. DPS favors the High stance so you just go high on anything that doesn't need a specific combo you're looking for. If they gave Mid stance a Ki Pulse on guard it would at least compete with High.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Marogareh posted:

Putting adds on the first twilight boss is the loving wooooooooooooooooooooorst.

It's not just the first boss.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Charles Get-Out posted:

So this game is pretty neat, feels like a PS2 style action adventure and I've been sorely missing those.

One thing I can't seem to get a hang on is interrupting stun locks from enemies hitting me a bunch, can't seem to ever dodge out of them or anything. Is there a trick to the timing or a technique I'm missing?

The trick is to not get hit.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
It depends on the enemy, their stance, your stance, your armor, and your animation at the time but generally besides spamming dodge/block and praying, no. Getting armor with high Vs. Break stat, using Mid stance, and not trying to trade with the enemy can help you out but once you're in the hit stun, it's pretty much a done deal. Don't forget that blocking is wonderful.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 24, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I really do like the ability to just select "I WANT TO HELP" and it whisks you away to anyone who needs help regardless of the level they're on.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I believe you get more from finding all the Kodama and it maxes out at 6. I have like 50 banked elixirs on top of my constant 13.

Also Twilight Cavern was available till last night at 11pm pst and then vanished and was replaced by the Twilight Island which wasn't available before.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Triangle and Circle.

Also I'll be streaming me helping people for a couple hours:
https://www.twitch.tv/belzaca

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
If you hit them in the horns a few times they stagger, fall down, and let you execute them.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

lets hang out posted:

Anyone know what to do with Summoner's Candles?

Summoners candles summon your guardian spirit to you from your grave with all your souls.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
It's new but also completely useless as the ladder you kick down gets you further into the level faster.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
You can drop down from the ladder almost directly into the gauntlet before the beach. Running through the fire is a lot more running and aggroing things before that.

But dropping the water does allow you to fight a new dev ghost.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Also I love that some dev ghosts spawn on their on in Twlight. That's probably my favorite thing about it.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The twilight stages change every night so check back if some of them are grayed out.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I helped people all night. Got a rad clip from it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_3YLYjeLcQ

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Amazon has quickly become absolute garbage at shipping things before, on, or even near release date. Best to just digital download things at this point.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'd rather have the game I'm excited for on release day (not 7pm) than 100 dollars worth of future late games arriving late.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I pretty much only buy digital at this point. But SCEA is such a joke I might actually get Nioh from a gamestop or something similar and save myself 4 hours of reloading the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Davincie posted:

where is this guy? never found him

The world map.