Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I beat the demo, it's so loving hard, I died more in these two areas than I did in the entirety of Dark Souls 3.

I was really unsure about this game at first, but it totally won me over by the end. The combat is incredibly meaty and every single enemy being on your level (or better, as it turns out) is such a different dynamic than I'm used to from these games. Once I figured out the timing on the stamina regain, the combat really opened up. Attempting to stagger the second boss with a heavy stance hammer while haphazardly trying to avoid being one-shotted by lightning was so loving harrowing, it ended up being a really heart-pounding back and forth and defeating him gave me an adrenaline rush I haven't felt in a long-rear end time.

I really like it. The learning curve is immense, but once I figured out how the loot worked it really clicked, and the mechanic of fighting people's bloodstains to get their poo poo is pretty ingenious. I threw myself at the first few enemies over and over again for hours, slowly building up, getting better drops, learning the intricacies of the combat. It requires a fuckton of patience, but there's a lot of depth here, and IMO it's a nice half-step between Souls and something like Ninja Gaiden. It's definitely not as well-made as Souls, and the balance is completely hosed, but hey it is an alpha and if they can iron out the kinks before release I think it has the potential to be outstanding.

It definitely needs to be much easier, or at least not throw you against a brick wall from the first loving enemy you encounter, otherwise no one will loving buy this game, but I have to admit beating it felt like a hell of an accomplishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

There needs to be some concept of interrupting attacks for the oni/yokai enemies. It's bad enough how the cyclops and the red dudes don't react to your hits at all, even the small dudes don't even flinch when smashed with a power attack from a giant axe. It feels lovely to constantly be attacked through your own strong attacks that are landing squarely.

This was my #1 biggest problem with Lords of the Fallen too. The Souls games have very specific rules about staggering and interrupting and while those concepts exists in Nioh and Lords they're not really consistent.

There is a rule for this, you can only interrupt them if you drain their ki. Same goes for the bosses. But if you do they are completely hosed.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

But hey guess what; the Oni don't respawn! They're minibosses :v:

I see you didn't beat the second level :unsmigghh:

Also fighting multiple mobs suck, I agree. Every single encounter has a way around that, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

yeah i don't recall ever *needing* to pull anyone on the critical path, only to go back around and destroy ambushes.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Degradation sucks and I am glad it's gone.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Claws do more physical damage, fists do more Ki damage, both are good depending on what you're going for. Your ki pulse is an attack, and you do more damage for each hit you land in an unbroken combo, so you use your ki-pulse attacks to switch stances mid combo without dropping and do more damage

I think I've done this by accident a few times, but I can't seem to get it to work reliably? Maybe it's 'cause I use Nioh 1 ki pulse timing, should I just start jamming on the thing when I'm finishing a combo?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The tengu are really an exercise in blocking properly because they can basically never hurt you if you tease out their attacks and do hit and runs. Unless they hit you with the grapple, but you get plenty of warning there.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The very first bosses you meet are Ox-Head and Horse-Face (Gozuki and Mezuki)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ox-Head_and_Horse-Face

It makes me wish the game had more of an emphasis on the yokai themselves rather than this kind of half-assed sengoku drama. Like if it really was Witcher but with Yokai.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

RatHat posted:

Sounds like if Nioh was Dark souls this is Sekiro

It feels like a half step between Nioh and Sekiro. It needs some tweaking for sure, but this is exactly what I wanted from a successor to Nioh 2 - it has all the mobility and back and forth pacing that I thought was lacking in Nioh, as much as I like that game. They really nailed it.

The morale system is SO satisfying, and gives you a personal character progression outside of just leveling up. It does mean that it is a slightly bigger pain to get back to where you were if you die, but the way you tangibly feel your strength grow over the course of a session does wonders for the game's pacing.

Making parrying a part of your dodge was also a genius move. It's just really drat good, IMO.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think they do need to make the timing a bit more generous, but IMO it feels super good to hit the dodge parry. I think the idea is that you should be blocking more if they do a flurry of blows since the guard meter also seems pretty generous. I think it's something that could easily be improved by the time that it's out, but I really love it as a concept.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't know if I'm making it up, but I think the second dodge might have i-frames? I could swear I dodged through a few moves with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

:justpost: a new Wo Long thread IMO.

Hell I'll do it if no one else wants to.

Edit:

Here you go

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4019760

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 15, 2022