Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Oh my god I am so excited for this game. I played the beta and immediately fell in love, I love how team ninja handles their combat and combos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I am all over that demo as soon as it's launched, gotta get those dlcs.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
There's nothing quite as satisfying as guard crushing someone in this game.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=czFMfcf4z2E

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
If you like souls games and any of the the ninja gaiden series then this game is a must buy.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Great news for me! I used mid and high stance mostly for utility and power so ki pulse on dodge makes them even better!

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Chaining pulse quickdraws, even without the instant sheath on pulse skill, feels soooo good. Love throwing a quickdraw into my combos.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

Oxxidation posted:

The Ogress is giving me no end of frustration.

Stick right on her and strafe left or right and 90% her attacks will miss you. Dodge only when she does her leaping attack or if you aren't right next to her. When her ki breaks pop your ultimate and keep sailing. Even the long combo attack misses when you are right next to her.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

MNIMNgaming posted:

Hey! Just made a video of NIOH! Check it out! Sub if you enjoyed :)

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCA7wTChiU8

So glad you made an account today to pimp out your yt channel, otherwise how would the world know?

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

Guw posted:

How the gently caress are you supposed to beat this duel? Holy poo poo…

If you can stay at mid range and off to one side and sneak in occasional pokes for chip damage, and punish his special combo you can pretty much stay undamaged except for his quickdraw attack. To avoid that I'm always running in and out of range to bait it. Once he sheaths a his sword run directly away and dash away at the last moment, or get good at dodging through it. Keep your combos to when you can guarantee a ki break and grapple. Also, if you have a decent parry weapon with guard ki reduction then you can block all his physical damage with vigilant ki management, but his electric damage can still get to you.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Single katana is my jam, I love the parries, tempest, and perfec block so much. It feels good to be a slow moving samurai and letting enemies come to you only to parry, perfect block and ki break your way to victory.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Katana/spear with magic for me. So much utility and counters with those two weapons.

I hope to see more human enemy density like in the beta. I honestly think fighting the human enemies is more fun than yokai with all the moves you can put on them.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

Calidus posted:

This seemed to make high stance just that much better than everything else. Just doing a single strong attack with high stance then dodging away from the larger monsters seemed to work really well.

Single swords just seemed the easiest compared to everything else. They have a fast animation, better range that I was expecting and solid damage. I played around with spears a little bit they seem fun, trading some damage for extra range. I really want to see what kinda of combos you can pull of with the spear. I cleared the first mission at level 11 with an axe, it destroyed trash mobs using high stance and did a pretty good job on the boss. The second boss's speed punished the slow swing speed of the axe and it gave me some trouble till I switched weapons.

Spears seem to have the versatility in range and utility, but without the combo potential and aoe of kusarigama or the speed and damage of a single katana. They are awesome for controlling the fight.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

Where is this from? Doesn't look like any place in the beta or the trial. Alpha?

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Do elemental effects from living weapon stack with elemental amulets? Man this discord mechanic is gonna be great for onymo and spirit users or onmyo users with an elemental weapon. So many great ideas in the game.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I don't think I've ever preordered a season pass bundle until this game. I actually preordered the standard edition a long time ago, but just cancelled it today and splurged on the gold edition. I have the highest confidence that this game will keep me engaged until all the DLCs release, it's just that good.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah stuff like how you wish you had Nioh to play right now.

I'm jonesin bad right now, maaan

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

DatonKallandor posted:

The thing about shuriken is that they throw near instantly - so the moment your enemy runs out of ki and gets into the red, you throw a shuriken. Instant, ki-free, safe stagger. A better version of rocks basically.

Works great against human bosses that seem to instantly regen ki. By the time you get in placment and get your swing on they can regen, so shuriken are invaluable.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
What's the deal with no major reviews out yet?

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Looking forward to a 7/10 polygon review because they don't know how to pulse or switch stances depending on the stage of the fight they're in.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I think the addition of multiplayer is gonna whup people into shape wrt pulses, and stance/weapon switching. I'm gonna have a blast creaming pubbies for the first month after mp release.

Lol: https://youtu.be/ZsUDgVnUs5E

My favorite part of this video is the rampant button smashing sound you can hear.

knobgobblin fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 5, 2017

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
My hype is growing.

Headed to the hospital if it doesn't subside in a couple hours.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

Jove posted:

Been playing since Friday, off and on. Not so much of an insta hard-on like Bloodborne (but I bought a fat PA3 for DeS) but it seems to be a better game, technically speaking. I'm stilll stuck on the first boss, though. :smith:
:argh:

This game doesn't exist until Tuesday. You are a big fat stinky liar and I don't want to hear about you playing a game that doesn't exist until it unlocks on my ps4

:argh:

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Wish I didn't have 5 hours of class and accompanying hw on Tuesday.

Not cspam but ed balls

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
67 and sunny here. Sigh

8 hours 25 min

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Don't reflexively put your hands out and make sure you've got a neck brace and a helmet on.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I'm avoiding passing the time by jerkin it so my carpal tunnel doesn't flare up

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Tempted to transplant my consciousness directly into my ps4. I only have a 2gb usb drive is that enough

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
What does Yokai Realm mean in relation to co op vs Yokai Realm?
E:spell gud

knobgobblin fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 6, 2017

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
There are some really huge and ornate hammers in this game, but they kinda clash with the aesthetic of the game for me. Gonna go katana spirit I think for my first run and try out some cute lil animals.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

Zaphod42 posted:

It just basically means "Mission with companion" versus "summon companion"

They're terrible translations.

Yokai Realm with Companion should be translated to "Party Mode", and the other way is like "Phantom Mode".

As for the literal translation of what "Yokai Realm" is, it basically just means like "Spirit World" or "Demon Land", its a way of describing the fantasy-Japanese setting that we're exploring that is part Japan but also full of Oni.

Thanks for the clarification! I forget what the help text says, but is the vs. Yokai Realm +X weapon mod just a flat damage modifier to anything not human?

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
It confused me because it seemed like it could go a number of ways, whether its a mod to your stat change in a Yokai puddle or against Yokai enemies or if it only applies in the true co op mode. Even though this game is a lot more direct than souls games it still has these little puzzles to figure out.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Thanks again for the clarification. Don't have the game yet and I was having a hard time remembering the particulars from the betas.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
It unlocks at midnight est.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
1 hour.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
:doink:

Channeling my ki for an hour.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
anyone care to friend up for some co-op? My PSN handle is hickmanimal. I forsee much Nioh in my future.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
This game feels so gooooood. Took my time and practiced on the way to Onryoki and beat first try with a pixel of health left. Time for bed now, though :\

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
88mb day one I think

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
Ki break > tempest > Iai > ground execution is a mega damage combo for the katana. Chaining your own combos is so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick
I think iframes are at the beginning of your dodge.

Switching to low stance for dodge then high for attacking works well too if you want to keep your dps and survivability up. Takes some practice though.