Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Harrow posted:

Living Weapon feels stronger than before. Maybe I didn't use it enough, but it absolutely tore apart the first few oni and those guys gave me a lot of trouble in the Alpha.

Overall though I feel like the combat is less fluid. I can't quite put my finger on why, but melee combat feels... jerkier, maybe? I dunno.

did you remember to change the settings to "Action Mode"? That helps the jank a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
water sword is great, you're just a big blender that fucks up anything backed into a corner

does anyone know what the dodge skill for dual katana low stance does? I've tried it out and can never get it to activate

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Real hurthling! posted:

Blocking stops the 1st bosses ball and chain swings which feels really funny

team ninja's games have a proud tradition of characters being able to block poo poo they really shouldnt

like in ninja gaiden 2 you can block explosions with your sword

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the twilight missions have some cool little gimmicks. the Mandolin playing demons are a really cool concept. now I wonder how many high level players will die near those guys on purpose to gently caress over other players

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fire Barrel posted:

His weakness to rocks makes up for most of his tricky moves.

Do they consistently revive dead players, or is it just some that do? I've run into a couple that don't seem to do much aside from summon floating heads.

The dead player has to be within a certain radius of the mandolin player and close enough to you to be summoned. They can also only summon 1 dead player at a time, it seems.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

lets hang out posted:

Dual katanas are pretty good imo. The kick + 2 slashes followup does a ton of damage and eats through ki if blocked, the stand in place and mash triangle high stance move mulches ki-broken yokai faster than just about anything, and the charged draw flash is super fast and does bonkers damage. Like I posted a video earlier of hitting Muneshige with it for over 2000 dmg and it's not like I was crazy overlevelled, I never went above 12 skill with that character.

yeah dual katanas aren't that bad, I beat Muneshige in a few tries with that strategy as well.

I suck against the vampire lady tho, I could never hit her with anything other than low stance quick attacks without getting pummeled in retaliation

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RatHat posted:

Any particularly useful stuff to pick up in the ninjutsu and magic trees? I'm mainly using axes if that makes a difference.

for ninjitsu pick smoke bombs they're completely broken

enemies will just stand there and do nothing as you rip them to shreds

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

J.A.B.C. posted:

Salt. Ki Pulse. Hit until stun-lock, then go High stance and just keep hitting. Or Living Weapon.

Rinse, Repeat, cash the Amrita check.

Except for that paralysis scream. gently caress everything about that.

if you boost your paralysis resist you won't even get stunned if you get hit by just one

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

DatonKallandor posted:

Pretty sure high stance had ki-pulse on rolls (to balance out the rolls being expensive and fixed distance) and low stance had ki-pulse on combo enders to balance out bad damage on regular attacks. Mid stance had....flexibility on the dodge-roll hybrid I guess (and the awesome quickdraw)? I know I used the dual-sword low stance a lot because getting the great dual sword combo ender for free was amazing.

Mid stance let you regen ki while guarding, which you can't do with the other stances. the quickdraw works for any stance

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
used the Kusarigama through the whole demo stage, beat Muneshige with it, and I'm about halfway through the twilight stage.

Verdict? I don't like it. Also ninjitsu builds kinda suck now that half the progression is hidden from me, so now I have no idea what I need to put points in to get the stuff I actually want.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Spuckuk posted:

How in the unholy gently caress did you beat Muneshige? He's giving me more grief than Nameless King in DS3

First thing you want to do is learn to dodge his quickdraw attack, that was the cause of like 90% of my deaths against him and it will gently caress you up. Don't even bother trying to kill him the first couple times, just stay far away, let him sheathe his sword and run toward you, then dodge until you're confident you can dodge it every time, punish it with one or 2 quick strikes, run away, then try again.

If he summons the thunder doge immediately run to the rock on the left side of the stage and hide behind it. You can also use this rock if you ever need a breather or a moment to heal, his AI has a hard time navigating around it.

You'll notice he has 3 different stances, same as you. In mid he'll mostly use quickdraw and quadrisect (the move where he flails around with the sword a bunch). Quadrisect is a great move for him to use because you can easily see it coming as he'll glow a bit before using it, it's easy to just run the hell away from and punish, and it drains a lot of his stamina, which is great because most of your damage in the fight comes from stamina breaking him then grappling him. Get behind him if you can too, attacks from behind deal a ton of damage and it'll make things go quicker.

High stance he'll mostly use one large jumping strike. They're easy to see coming but I dont bother attacking too much in this stance, since he randomly becomes immune to hitstun in this stance and every once in a while he'll follow up with a 2nd jump afterwards just to gently caress with you.

Low stance he doesn't use very often, I just keep my distance since he's pretty fast in this stance and can usually outpoke whatever move you're using. Only good thing about this stance is the damage isn't very high and it's the only stance you can reliably block without getting your stamina hosed.

He's a really hard son of a bitch to fight but it's worth it because his weapon and armor rules, you even get a set bonus for wearing the whole thing that makes the sword even more powerful. If you're using dual katanas you can also quickdraw him to death in 20 seconds like this

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Found 2 interesting little items in the Twilight stage. First is the mask of the father equivalent. it's a goofy rear end looking mask that actually has pretty good stats

The 2nd is some Kodama inhabited bowls. I used it, and it just summons a kodama that waves at you and disappears. has anyone found a real use for this thing?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

lets hang out posted:

rare onryoki :toot:

he even managed to attack with them a little bit before he forgot he had them

woah weird. I found that fight too but he didn't spawn in with the balls, wonder why

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Game owns I'm just sad the animations for using the attack items are still so slow and clunky, especially compared to how fluid the rest of the combat is

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
honestly you should be able to do well no matter what your stat allocations are. since gear has levels and everything even if you put all your points into say, Heart, you'd still be able to do decent damage to enemies if you decide to start swinging axes around.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

InfinityComplex posted:

Well sure, you take care of your weapon which makes it more familiar as you become more intimate with it. Which ends up becoming real uncomfortable if you're one of those people who wants to gently caress inanimate objects.

i think it would be extremely comfortable if you wanted to gently caress the inanimate object, actually

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Is there any sort of projectile drop off? I can't really remember. maybe arrows and muskets have different physics or something

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
armor in nioh matters a lot more than in the souls games, so with decent armor you can usually tank a couple of hits before you get in real trouble.

unless you get hit from behind then you're hosed

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Rotating levels kinda sucks. I don't have time to play every day, just let me pick what level I want please

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Genocyber posted:

So apparently this is the kind of thing you can expect in ng+ (boss spoilers).

http://i.imgur.com/IcBTbft.jpg

Oh my god

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

katkillad2 posted:

Are there any starting out/new player tips that aren't in the first post? Are there hidden/invisible walls?

There are invisible walls but they're pretty easy to notice if you're paying attention

You don't need to fight absolutely every demon you see, there are a few that will just let you pass with free loot if you do an emote to them

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

hell yeah, I knew this game was gonna include a fight with Ryu Hayabusa at some point

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ended up getting an Alpha code but didn't notice because gmail put it in a folder I don't usually check.

I'm in the same boat as others itt, played the hell out of the alpha and beta for the first game, bought the complete edition of the full game but have still yet to beat it. Downloading it now so lets see what's changed

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Beat both the levels in the Alpha, and about halfway thru the Twilight mission for the 1st area. I'm digging it so far. It's not really that different from the first Nioh, but I still enjoy the first Nioh so I'm ok with it. I'm a little disappointed that the returning weapons and unarmed seem to have zero changes whatsoever, at least not that I could see. There's some fat that definitely could have been trimmed from some weapons' movesets and replaced with something more useful, but it seems that didn't happen. I like that each weapon has their own skill points to manage now, means I won't have to worry about tradeoffs with my skill points every time I want to swap weapons. However they should have kept the weapon skills that buffed your character's general stats, now you only get the effect if you have that weapon equipped as your primary.

The new hand axes are alright, a bit odd. They're absolutely OP against human enemies since one skill you get allows you to perform a quick and powerful attack once you bounce off an opponent's block, and it has never failed to drain a guy's ki once, it's ridiculously powerful. All the heavy attacks involve you throwing the axes, and though it sounds cool, you spend way too much time standing still and they don't do nearly as much damage or have enough range to bother. The benefit of the dual swords in the first game was how quickly you get get in, do crazy damage, and get out, but the axes feel a bit clunkier in this regard.

The new enemies are pretty cool, though I'm disappointed they brought back the pile of poo poo enemies. They're unchanged from the first game, with basically no tells on their attacks and their vulnerability period after being ki broken is way shorter. I think that's the case for every enemy actually, most every enemy gets back up almost instantly once they're ki broken and knocked down for some reason.

I can't say I'm a fan of the perma-yokai realm areas. It's not very fun to have this permanent debuff that you can't do anything about aside from rushing the miniboss, and when it happens in boss fights I don't really know what to do aside from just running away until it ends. At least as much running away as you can do when you're moving at half speed and your ki regens wayyyy slower.

I like the ability to make your own NPC grave marker that other players can summon to help them, it's a neat idea but I do wish you got better rewards than Ochoko cups, I never use the things as-is.

Yokai skills are rad, you get free reign to just delete a miniboss or do mad damage to a boss, and it regens quickly enough that you don't feel the need to hoard it. The new Living Weapon is neat too. I thought it would just be a cosmetic thing but they put a lot of mechanics into it, including a Ninja Gaiden-esque Ultimate Technique you can use by charging a heavy attack and absorbing stray Amrita around you. The Brute form is way too slow and clunky for my tastes (it seemed like every time I used it the bosses would just slowly back away from me while I whiffed every attack) and I don't really understand the Phantom form all that well, but the Savage form is great.

The first boss is pretty great, it's a nice warmup boss and doesn't have the crazy damage output the Onryoki has. You can find gear that makes you drat near immune to all his attacks if you explore, but it was still a fun fight. The second boss is very annoying though. Despite being a big wriggly snake he has decent enough tells on all his attacks, but when he activates perma-Yokai Realm I have no idea wtf you're supposed to do other than run, heal, and hope for the best.

All in all pretty good, I just hope they show us enough stuff in the future to differentiate it from Nioh 1, because so far it seems more like an expansion pack than a sequel.

PS Evil Kodamas and Roly-Poly cats are rad as hell

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
oh yeah also you get ninja/onmyo skill points just for using their respective abilities which is nice

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
One thing I didn't like about Twilight missions in the Alpha: they're constantly playing intense action music so I'm never quite sure if I'm in the middle of combat or not

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
TGS showed some more Nioh 2 gameplay last night. Looks like they're really dedicated to upping the enemy variety, the trailer showed off a ton of new enemies and the demo had even more.

Looks like the first boss is gonna be A big demon with a horse head

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
they weren't too bad, none of them were as tough as high level Wheelmonks that can kill you in less than a second

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

WaltherFeng posted:

:colbert:

All the weapons are very good btw. Except Tonfa lol

Tonfa owns, once you get the Demon's Dance skills you become a ki-destroying machine. Sarutobi's Gunsticks are also a fun gimmick

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
New weapon looks pretty rad

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Switchglaive kinda blows. Scythe mode doesn't feel very scythe-y, and low stance does absolutely pathetic amounts of damage, I think throwing rocks does more damage. The stance switching attack gimmick just means you can accidentally do an attack that'll get you killed when you're trying to do Ki Pulse Flux.

Also the fast demon form Yokai Parry is ridiculously hard to use. The timing window is like, a tenth of a second and most of the time I either get hit or just harmlessly dash past the enemy. It also doesn't seem to trigger on projectile attacks at all.

1st boss was pretty fun once I stopped dying instantly to it. 2nd boss was the same from the Alpha and it's still a giant pain in the rear end, I still have no idea how to consistently dodge its grab if it triggers up close.

The new ninjutsu spells are pretty cool though, homing fireballs do mad damage.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RatHat posted:

EDIT: By the way the character creator is incredible and it even still has some features locked for the demo

Being able to give my guy pink teeth is a feature I never knew I needed until I saw it

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Managed to beat the rest of the beta, including the Twilight mission and the duel with the guy that sounds like Link. Game got a lot easier when I got a yokai ability that didn't suck, and realized being in the Dark Realm makes it so your Yokai Form generates anima a LOT faster. Managed to beat the mongoose in the Twilight mission 1st try just by burning him down with the Ippon-Datara kick.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ya. You can hit them at any time during whatever animation it is they are winding up or executing to cancel it and deal big ki damage to them.

I think the non-brute guardians just cancel the attack and give you some other benefit idk.

non-brute guardians also give you a counterattack, but you have to time a dodge or a parry. I'm not sure how strict the timing on the purple form is but the savage form timing on the dodge is really strict

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RatHat posted:

Oh I didn't realize you could charge your heavy attack in yokai form. It also charges instantly sometimes and I'm not sure what the condition for it is.

If you've played the modern Ninja Gaiden games it's similar to the Ultimate Techniques there. Charging the heavy attack absorbs stray amrita nearby and makes your heavy attack charge instantly.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RatHat posted:

They must've fixed those in a patch then, they were wrong on release and for a long time after.

And no, there is absolutely no difference between the stances in stamina usage for blocking(if there is for you then it's some buff from an armor set or weapon). Apparently you can move while blocking and still regain some ki in Mid stance but it completely stops in High and Low, but I haven't tested this myself.

Right, when blocking in low or high stance you regen ki very slowly if you're standing still, and if you move you dont regen at all. Mid stance will always regen ki while blocking, even faster if you're standing still. Theres no difference in ki usage between stances, but the ki regen between attacks can be the difference between being guard broken or not

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
that's weird because I definitely leveled up my proficiency doing exactly that. Some sort of bug maybe?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm sad they nerfed the Ippon-Datara ability because that thing carried me in some of the boss fights in the previous betas

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Did they? I was rocking it after I got it in the Twilight mission and it was doing good work.

It used to leave a puddle of flame for a while after you used it, was super useful for applying 2 status effects for Confusion. Now it's just the one big initial hit which is still fast and powerful, but not insane like it was before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

fadam posted:

Lol some of these dlc missions are nuts.

I had to wait until I beat Way of the Demon before I got anywhere close to beating Everlasting Duty on the default difficulty because fuuuuuuuuuck that mission