Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
This game is sweet, I finished all three levels but I did replay the first one to help get me at little closer to level 25 before trying the twilight level. 90% of my deaths were from me pressing O to dodge then getting smacked in the face when nothing happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Campbell posted:

Also it seems like the skills that tie Dodge to Ki Pulse are pretty mandatory - for some reason I interpreted those skills as basically adding a key press into that chain (like attack, attack, ki-pulse, dodge) instead of (attack, attack, dodge=ki-pulse). That way you get rid of an extraneous button for something you're doing anyway.

This seemed to make high stance just that much better than everything else. Just doing a single strong attack with high stance then dodging away from the larger monsters seemed to work really well.

Single swords just seemed the easiest compared to everything else. They have a fast animation, better range that I was expecting and solid damage. I played around with spears a little bit they seem fun, trading some damage for extra range. I really want to see what kinda of combos you can pull of with the spear. I cleared the first mission at level 11 with an axe, it destroyed trash mobs using high stance and did a pretty good job on the boss. The second boss's speed punished the slow swing speed of the axe and it gave me some trouble till I switched weapons.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Harrow posted:

I think there's a control scheme you can choose that puts your light and strong attacks on R1/R2, if you don't feel like adjusting.

Yes is very nice if only it switched X and O so I properly dodge.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

of course amazon screws up and sends me invalid preorder codes.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 9, 2017

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

What are you guys going with for prestige bonuses? I have a few and haven't decided yet. Part of me says % bonus are very good end game, other part of me says more loot is good.

Also spears in low stance are kind of hilarious, I won a 1v6 by just running around and doing sweeping attacks.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

What is the to go thing to with all your junk gear? Turn it into mats? sell it? make an offering? I leaning towards mats.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

There are lots of combos that are going to essentially one shot you if you eat the whole thing but with some points in body you should be able to to survive 2-3 hits of various combos.

On a different note spears almost feel like cheating.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I feel like between living weapon and replenishable magics if you get a boss to 30% you can just blow your magical spirit wad to finish them.

The whole game revolves around getting the ki pulse mechanic. It really punishes you for running out of ki. The game feels kind of deceptive because it gives you all these cool combos that you want to use but most of time you really shouldn't unless really good at using ki pulses and stance dancing. Weapon range feels important in this than the Souls games when it comes to bosses. It feels similar to Bloodborne in that respect.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

Bat girl was like lady maria level for me.

Lady Maria might be the best fight From has ever done imo. I was cursing the whole time while trying to beat it. It flight more about execution than anything else. Bat girl felt more like how does this stun mechanic work combined with ok what is she telegraphing now. I spent 10 attempts on bat girl kinda of just figuring out what stance and what weapon I want to use while trying to figure her out. After that I took me another 10 to actually killer her.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Hino-Enma took me two tries, as opposed to Onryoki's half dozen :shrug: The game dumps a lot of anti-paralysis stuff and ranged ammo right before her boss room so I got the hint. Onryoki just hits like a truck and a lot of his attacks were tricky to dodge. H-E's biggest weakness is that she's almost always just attacking you in a straight line.

The difficulty of Nioh is hard to put your finger on. As others have said, a big part of it is simply forgetting you're not playing Dark Souls for a minute and attacking when you mean to dodge or vice versa. Most single enemies are trivial except for your first few Yokai encounters, 2 enemies are doable but mean trouble, 3 enemies are a stiff challenge, 4 or more is virtual suicide and you're playing wrong.

Once your over 3 it really requires lots of space and a weapon with good range. My current record is 6 humans in one of the early missions, I basically ran around in the circle with a spear in low stance for a few minutes. Sweeping attacks for everyone!

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

So in one of the dojo training missions I spent a good 15 minutes just trying to get the parry timing down. I can parry strong openings attacks but everything else just feels like rng if I actually get it. Also the risk vs reward for a parry doesn't seem that great.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

cozyduck posted:

That is definitely not true. For example with the katana you can do:

Square parry -> square again (causes enemy knockdown) -> Ki Pulse cancel into Iai Quickdraw (preferably Quickdraw III) -> if you're fast enough, ki pulse into Iai Quickdraw again, otherwise skip -> down stab -> stance change to low into heavenly flash (might need to whiff first hit of combo for it to connect)

This is just one variant of the possible punishes and will net you ridiculous damage. See for instance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QRnYeWb-Ko&t=96s

hmm is the enemy knockdown attack to another skill? Also i always forget about using lai in the middle of a fight.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Don't get me wrong, Bloodbourne was definitely tighter controlled than the Souls games, but it still felt "off" to me. Kind of hard to describe, but like there was lag between input and action. Not a *ton* but enough to get me killed sometimes and when it's a controls-related death I get upset.

But some of that was just the lovely framerate. Every game needs to copy movie mode and action mode from now on. 60fps is just wonderful.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Bombadilillo posted:

Aya-komori

The A agility damage bonus is +15% on all damage all the time which is huge.
Life recovery on killing strike.
15% don't use ninja weapons.

Looks like its a 15 unlockthe damage boost. I know I have 7 or 8 more pokemons but I get a new one, look at the stats and stick with what Im using. Not saying its wasted, but looking forward to a heavy armor playthrough where I will have more options then one that just seems built for my A agility ninja build.

Yes but is it as cute as two lightning puppies?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stat scaling is weird, it seems like their is some more advanced interaction between your various scaling stats. It souls games it is pretty much (mulitplier A * primary stat) + (mulitpler B * secondary stat) + base damage = total damage. In Nioh if your primary stat is much higher than your secondary stat adding 1 point to your second stat can net you 5 damage compared to the 1 from the primary stat.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Just finished spider Castle, great missions but the boss was a joke. Also does spider Spirit just give you poo poo tons of loot because that is what it looks like.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

I'm at the spider castle and I saw a lvl 1 revenant.

How hard would that be? Is there a way to farm hair for skill points? I don't think equipment is restricted to your level but I haven't really been paying any attention and I don't think I have any equipment higher than my level (52, most of my stuff i haven't thrown away is mid 40s).

I am guessing someone used a book of reincarnation then went to hit something and forgot. Items aren't level restricted so it's a great idea to go and fight revenants that are higher level than you. A level one run in this game sounds much more annoying Dark Souls.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I prefer the leave the bonfires up until phase 2 that way they kill another round of adds. It is also a very good fight for high stance.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Need to have a katana/pistol hybrid fighting style

*insert bloodborne disk*

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Snak posted:

I am really hitting the stride wirh parrying. It's the most satisfying parry in any game I've ever played. Most games with parry mechanic, the psrry ends up being too good and too easy. Parrging is good here, but thete are so many types of attacks, and they are all different. Some can't be parried, some can only be parried by anticipation, and some can be parried easily.

Practicing against Muneshige is great, because I have to learn the tells to know in an instant whether I need to dodge or try to parry.

The next thing I need to work on is Iai strikes. I'm garbage at them I can't get into the stance reliably, and all I know hoe todo is fully charge them, which takes too long. I get interrupted every time. I know you can unleash it early, but most of the time I try, I do it too early and he just goes back to standing...

So while I'll continue to work on parrying, I've got a new priority.

I can parry high stance attacks pretty well. I am just really inconsistent about getting haze II to work. I can't tell if my timing of heavy attack is off if it has to due with pressing/releasing block. Mid stance combo that ends with a jump back slash makes setting up lai strikes pretty easy. I am pretty good about using lai strikes on everything that isn't a boss. Using it on a boss seems like a great way to get instagibbed by a combo.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Harrow posted:

Haze II wants you to hit light attack, not heavy attack, so that might be part of it. You need to basically double-tap square for a successful Haze to chain into Haze II.

hmm I am doing controller option 2(iirc), which has block as Square, light attack as r1 and heavy attack as r2. I am 90% sure the tool tip said r1 for the parry whiling holding square and r2 for the backstab. I wonder if the tool tip is just wrong since I changed the controller layout.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I just finished frog man, how much of the game do I have left? Frogman and spider lady are on my one shots so far. Also +A heart scaling on a sword is pretty hilarious.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stacking bonus damage from behind is hilarious and amazing. 22% from my sword, 12% from the ninja skill, plus the mastery from swords means I more than double damage from behind.

Edit: and I am pretty sure it work with haze II.

Calidus fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 1, 2017

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Harrow posted:

Justice Ministry has a dual swords bonus and a dual swords as part of the set.

and you get to look amazing in white and purple

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

East and West didn't give me any trouble but the other pair is really annoying.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Meeting on the Other Shore is just making me hate this game lol.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

What does auto aim weak spots actually do?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I haven't touched the game since release, how painful would picking up the dlc be now?

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I played and enjoyed the original. Does the Nioh 2 have a better balance of weapons/builds? I remember Katanas out classing everything else.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I picked this up, I completely forgot how Nioh likes to kick you in the teeth at the beginning of the game. I think the first level took me 2 hours.

Dodge being being any other button than circle should be illegal.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I am just terrible at these early game main mission bosses. They are all taking me hour or 2 to beat.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Finally clicked today, I was just bad at ki management and was greedy about getting extra hits. I ripped through 3 bosses today much trouble. Getting 10 points in Dex and Magic helped. Poison is nice with Yatsu-no-Kami.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Is it just me or are ranged soul cores just better than the melee ones? The animations a number of them seem really hard to use in boss fights without taking damage.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

On last beginner question, you drained all the ki from a Yokai how do you get them to consistently fall over? It feels really random.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Saito is really annoying. I steam rolled 3 bosses in a row on my first or second attempt, then I die 15 times to this stupid mage.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Season pass is 30% off on the US play station store.

I am still chugging along through my first play through, just beat kasha. I am poison and protection talismans are carrying me.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Nioh 2 was not the game to put down for 8 months when your 70% complete. I keep forgetting to ki pluse and I keep press circle to dodge.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

This game does a great job at making you feel like a badass.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Do I buy the DLCs before I beat the main game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I am enjoying my Katana build. Lai Quickdraw wrecks but not quite as much as the first game.