Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I really want to like this demo more but they need to really fix fighting multiple enemies at once and enemy health

I do not mind your character being a glass cannon if the enemies are too. It feels weird that every enemy is objectively stronger than you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Real hurthling! posted:

mid stance axe for crowds. no problem

If even one survives your stamina is now hosed and its an instant kill

Plus, only having one form of one weapon being effective for crowds is an issue in itself.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hakkesshu posted:

There is a rule for this, you can only interrupt them if you drain their ki. Same goes for the bosses. But if you do they are completely hosed.

But it's not reasonable to try and drain the ki of multiple opponents because the system doesn't work like that.

The one on one combat is excellent, objectively excellent. But groups need a fix.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Snak posted:

The game straight up tells you that it's foolish to fight groups and gives you literally more pulling tools than you can carry.

Obligating you pull enemies is not good game design. If they wanted to make groups entirely voluntary, sure. But there are several places where you are obligated to fight groups or pull them errors and rocks.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Please stop whining. Fighting two archers at the same time isn't bad at all, and killing one of them with an arrow feels great because archery is way better than in souls or dynasty warriors or ninja gaiden.

Oh gently caress off. This an alpha, the point of a alpha is to talk about what does and doesn't work. Feeling a system needs work in an unfinished game isn't whining.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like you wrote this huge thing about how I am not fighting Oni correctly and I never said a word about fighting Oni. Fighting Oni makes sense and I agree. I am talking about mobs of low level melee guys, not archers.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Like, people do not seem to get that you can understand the mechanics of a game perfectly and still feel they need to be improved.

I get how the system works and how it's meant to be used, I just think it needs some tweaks and some de-emphasis on drawing out people in crowds to fight 1 on 1

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

It is exceptional how much improvement went from Alpha to Beta.

This was a game I could not even bother to finish the demo for to a pre-order

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Yeah, I've only just got to the dock area in the first level and I'm already sold, unless the rest of the game is somehow Lost Izalith-tier trash.

What are the big changes from the alpha? I missed out on that.

As someone said already, durability was hilariously low. 6 enemies before break low. The combat has also been almost completely changed. It originally felt very Bushido blade. Most enemies, and you, died in three solid hits. Running out of endurance was also a death sentence. The combat prioritized parries over dodges because of it. It was much better to drain your opponents endurance than use your own.

It actually had very intense one-on-one combat, but the game melted down the second there were two enemies. Now, the damage is reduced and the endurance penalties are extremely nerfed. It feels much better for its level design. The Nier alpha would have been great for a different level and enemy design, but it really did not work for a dark souls style level design.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

lets hang out posted:

Dual katanas are pretty good imo. The kick + 2 slashes followup does a ton of damage and eats through ki if blocked, the stand in place and mash triangle high stance move mulches ki-broken yokai faster than just about anything, and the charged draw flash is super fast and does bonkers damage. Like I posted a video earlier of hitting Muneshige with it for over 2000 dmg and it's not like I was crazy overlevelled, I never went above 12 skill with that character.

Dual slashes on low stance is incredible

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Fhqwhgads posted:

I've been flailing about with the dual katanas, but having problems because I'm terrible, and if the consensus is that they're pretty crap, what's a better weapon to use? I mean souls-style straight swords were always OP, so are regular katanas the way to go in the demo?

who is talking poo poo about dual katanas

lemme at it

I will murder them

with dual katanas

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

i found the feedback survey for the game in case anyone missed it. feel free to complain about your favorite complainable in the many free response boxes.

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/nioh_b_uk

thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

RatHat posted:

Any particularly useful stuff to pick up in the ninjutsu and magic trees? I'm mainly using axes if that makes a difference.

Pick up the talismans and extra elixir