Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If you want to drain her Ki you need to be using attacks that do high Ki damage (e.g. the roundhouse kick for the spear takes off like a quarter), Ki pulse as soon as she makes a Yokai field to limit her regen, and generally just be really aggressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Not sure I like the twilight bosses that are just the same with adds thrown in. Feels kind of cheap and lovely honestly!

Also I think they need to up the damage on ground attacks. If you go through the effort of getting someone on the ground your reward should be an attack that does more damage than a normal goddamn sword swing. As it stands now an enemy being grounded is almost good for them because they can't take a lot of damage and they pop back up ready to attack with all their Ki. Whoops!

The critical attacks do more damage if you do them while the enemy is standing, I've noticed. The one you do when they've face planted does less I think because you have a decent window where you can hit them with regular attacks before doing the critical, which has the potential for even more damage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

Speaking of the item goggle button, I wish you held it down to have temporary use of the secondary set instead of a toggle. I keep switching to it and forgetting I did then I'm stuck wondering why my elixir won't work.

I just keep Elixir in the top slot of both sets for that very reason.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sounds like Liam O'Brien is voicing the villain dude which is great. I guess they're doing a Souls-style thing where there's just the one dub? Though here characters will speak English and/or Japanese as is appropriate it seems. Which is neat.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Wait why is the action mode the same for each.

I imagine the PS4pro will probably have a more consistent 60 FPS, but yeah that's a weird infograpghic.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Monolith. posted:

I really hope this game is actually 70 hours long content wise. Im super psyched to chop up fools.

That is an interesting metric since IIRC they mentioned at some point that there'd be around 20 stages in the full game? I'd say it took me ~2 hours to beat the two beta stages (never did the alpha second stage) so assuming every stage in the game is about the same length I'm still not sure how you'd go above 50, even if the difficulty kept ramping up. Though maybe with twilight versions of stages I guess I could see it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

blazblue CF has no english and it has a disc

As does the Attack on Titan game. They've clearly relaxed those restrictions.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

drat, did not expect once more chance to play Nioh prior to the full release. Looking forward to seeing what mechanics changes they've made this time, and what the new content is. Definitely prefer that hannya mask to the other two.

Also PVP being added to the game, assuming it works well, pretty much confirms Nioh will be my GOTY if not GOAT.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Whoever came up with that retarded hype mongering demo scheme needs to go.

Yeah, it sucks that a company is confident enough in its product to unveil it to the public for a good length of time multiple times. They should be more like Bethesda and not let you see anything but trailers until the release.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Its not a loving demo, its a beta. When the game is finally released they very well may put out a demo that has no time limit, and until that time stop bitching.

Exactly, its primary purpose is not a demo. Its a beta to test the game, test the network, and get feedback. It doubles as a demo but its plain ridiculous to throw a hissyfit because the game that isn't out yet doesn't let you play indefinitely for free.

Games good, just hold your horses and wait for release if you can't get in the beta during the window.

In the official press they refer to it as the Last Chance "Trial," but everyone else is calling it a demo because that's what it is. It's a time-limited demo meant to hype up the game and encourage more pre-orders. While it's not impossible that it may be used for feedback purposes, it's pretty clearly not the primary purpose since the game has already gone gold and is set to release regardless. It's fine since it followed an excellent use of public alpha/beta builds which you rarely see, but don't act like it's not a demo designed to advertise the game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Belzac posted:

I play tarot cards as a way to make my decision on if I'll buy the final game. If that's not a demo I don't know what is.

Also the game is a month away and the Day 1 Patch is probably still in development.

A Day 1 patch is unlikely to include any game changers though. For a game that is sold on the merits of its technical quality, it can't afford to not be largely set in stone for journalists and such.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Belzac posted:

I don't know how many Day 1 Patches you've worked on but all the ones I have include gameplay changes.

It's a lot easier to rebalance how much damage a weapon does or how much life you have than it is to add in a new area.

I meant game changers as in big overhauls or additions/optimization stuff which a lot of triple A games seem to like to do nowadays. I must admit I have no personal experience in game dev so I can't comment on that aspect but I would expect there to be balance changes. I doubt input from people playing the last demo would affect that though, if only due to the short time it's available for.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Belzac posted:

I'm working on a game where our patch goes out Tuesday. We're still making changes today based on demo data.

Fair enough then.

Are you at liberty to say what game you're working on? I'm just curious.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

Oh yeah, they definitely did. Stats poured in during the first public demo and were a lot more limited in the second one.

I actually wish this game didn't have the Souls-style stat system. I want to be a multi-weapon master but also not have to totally disregard my guardian spirits, all of whom are cool and good and my friends :ohdear:

Different weapons scale with different things. I want to say I saw weapons in the beta that scaled with Spirit which is the Guardian Spirit stat, but I could be mis-remembering.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

In case anyone was wondering, if you make a throwaway EU account and download the last chance trial from there, you can play it on your main account. Useful since the EU test is currently available while the NA one is not. Yay for timezones, for once.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I'm about to stream the last chance trial if anyone's curious.

https://www.twitch.tv/lotusgramarye

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

There's also a Toughness stat which I don't think was in the previous builds? Which seems to be a poise equivalent. Tanking definitely looks to be a viable playstyle which is awesome. Probably still going to go for a ninja build on my first playthrough though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pierson posted:

Got a PS4 yesterday and while Bloodborne was a day-one purchase I had no idea this existed but it's already gonna be my second game, god drat it's good.

Finished the mission on regular and got two masks (Strongest and Conqueror according to the names) so I guess the final one is from the Twilight version of the mission? Hahaha no.

I'm pretty sure you get the Ogress mask from completing the normal version. Rather than a download from the PSN store it makes a save file that can be read by the full game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

THEY REVERTED THE AIM/SHOOT BACK TO ALPHA!

gently caress yeah!

I was not a fan of this. :( Oh well, the shooting still feels good which is the important part.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Snak posted:

Well yeah, but I think it's boring if it's just a really repedetive fight where you barely chip away at their health. That's not any fun.

Edit: and blocking is completely useless against him.

git gud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QRnYeWb-Ko

In all seriousness, he is an incredibly fair fight. If you're doing barely any damage to him then you're not fighting him properly. Pretty much all of his attacks leave his back super vulnerable where you can get off a full light combo which does even more damage than normal since it is a back attack. His iai moves take out a good chunk of his ki, and his crazy spam dash takes out nearly all of it. If you go offensive right after he does those, and use high ki damaging movies (e.g. the kick moves that are available for pretty much all of the weapon types) you'll easily break his guard, get in a few hits, and do a critical. If you're using the regular or dual-katanas you can do even more damage by doing the iai move right after you exhaust his ki. It'll come out just quick enough to hit him while he's exhausted, knocking him down, and letting you still finish with a critical strike (that's one of the techniques the guy does in the above video).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

Okay, this part certainly isn't true, as he rolls away from me after at most one mid stance hit, so I get ~250 damage.

It is true, but you have to hit his back square on. If you hit him more towards his side he'll just block and evade. You also have to attack him very quickly, if you're just a bit too slow he'll also block and evade.

quote:

My favourite entirely BS thing I've seen him do is send the lightning pupper at you with a timing where, if you dodge it, he catches your recovery with his running slash and oneshots you.

You didn't position yourself properly. Behind the rock is always good since it prevents him from getting to you completely.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ZenVulgarity posted:

I love using all the weapons

I kinda want more wepaons or the unique wepaons to have a slightly different moveset tbh

Moveset variety is going to come purely from the skills that you purchase, I think. Which is better, imo, since it gives you more control over how they work.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

o I know, it just felt like you should be able to get a visceral in on her when it happens. I already killed her tho because she literally can't hit you if you're basically touching her. just gotta watch out for the leap is all

It would be a bit inconsistent if that did happen with boss Yokai only, and being able to do that against regular Yokai would be a bit OP.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can do that to regular yokai. when their stamina depletes, they fall over and you can stab them with triangle like a human enemy

well idk if it works for the tengu or cyclops since I didn't deplete their stamina, but the other ones it does for sure

Oh yeah, you're right. I think it only works against the smaller Oni, but yeah. Nevermind then!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I think the only hint that you should NOT attack tanukis is an extremely vague loading tip? At least the Nurikabes had dev messages surrounding them

You really shouldn't need a hint considering they're non-aggressive. They even make it so you get exhausted when they startle you so you can't immediately take action in response.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lakbay posted:

There's also a super curved sword in there that he holds with only one hand that doesn't look like any of the single katana stances

Time code? I didn't see such a thing.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS0vGOCTwyg

This guy has a few more videos from the Beta and Alpha as well. It's all good poo poo.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

He also shows off the right way to beat Muneshige: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOdCJaRatiY

That's a different person.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

For those that will play through the game multiple times with different builds, what build do you plan to do your first playthrough with?

I'm planning on doing a Ninjitsu-focused build with the Kusarigama, and maybe the dual-katanas if I can find ones that scale well with Dexterity.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is the difference between this and single katana in terms of playstyle?

Dual and single are pretty similar in terms of moveset, but dual are more offense oriented while single is more defense oriented. You have much higher DPS potential with dual but you need to commit and do a lot of attacks to get that, whereas single has less overall DPS but if you can only find the time to attack once or twice it will have superior damage.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

That's really cool, was wondering who Liam O'Brien is voicing.

RatHat posted:

Kelley is an interesting villain choice considering he's heavily associated with alchemy and western spiritual stuff, in contrast to the rest of the game with spirit animals and poo poo. Maybe his spirit snake is even a homonculus.

I was wondering if he was going to be another Western person since the brunt of the plot seems to be William chasing him, not to mention him speaking both English and Japanese.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's a pre-release thread, this is kind of where you discuss pre-release stuff.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Dimo ArKacho posted:

I mean serious as in focusing on what's happening as opposed to 'jesus Christ why are you talking like a 40s propaganda movie character?'

He sounds like an actual Japanese dude with a poor grasp of English. I'd be willing to be that is the same voice actor that's doing the Japanese dialogue for Hanzo.

Which makes me wonder if Liam O'Brien's character (the villain) has a different Japanese VA or if it's him doing the Japanese lines.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

lets hang out posted:

here's another (probably early game) cutscene. half of the game must be on youtube by now. spoilers natch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_IKfDrghME

Oh huh, the villain isn't Liam O'Brian. Sounded a hell of a lot like him in an earlier cutscene that was shown.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I could not tell the difference mechanically between bows and muskets besides the fact arrows are way more common

Firearms pierce helmets, bows do not.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Hello Nioh thread I look forward to beating my head against this game until it either clicks or I rage quit. Either is possible! But how much will my experience suffer if I have a plebeian non-pro PS4?

Not at all. On a regular old PS4 the game runs at a smooth 720p60 in action mode. It's not the most amazing in terms of visual design anyway so the bump down in resolution really is not that big of a deal.

Digirat posted:

I didn't play the demos so I didn't get a feel for how nioh plays. It looks cool but I'm worried by discussions of how easily you can be instakilled (or nearly instakilled). I've beaten bloodborne and all the souls games so I can handle a tough difficulty baseline, but generally did not enjoy the parts of those games that demanded near-perfection, which bloodborne increasingly does in the chalice dungeons. How perfect did it feel like you had to be to complete all the content in the nioh demos?

Also not at all. Like, the alpha was by far the most lethal of the public early builds but by the beta and the more recent demo things seem to be balanced so that you never have to worry about being killed in one combo if you're at full health and have decent armor. Moreover, the game gives you a lot of tools to split up deadly multiple enemy encounters, such as by sniping enemies from a distance (headshots almost always oneshot) or using things like grenades or your Living Weapon (basically a super mode).

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 30, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Also blocking works really well in Nioh and way better than without a shield in Dark Souls. It's something you kinda have to get used to.

This. Blocking blocks 100% of incoming damage and prevents any elemental/status effect from building up. If you're stuck in an enemy's combo you want to block, then roll away. Trying just to dodge away won't work and gets a lot of people killed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Relin posted:

and fists!!!!!

Fists were really bad in all previous releases. Low damage, you stagger on any blocked hit, no ability to use Ki Pulse, and an extremely limited base moveset with no new moves to purchase. It pretty much exists purely for blade catching (which won't work against like half of the enemies in the game).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Are you going to make a new thread for the release of the game, Zaphod? This hasn't been a cesspit like Souls pre-release threads tend to be but there's been enough discussion that it would probably make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Leak spoilers: the starting area for the game

Also you get to choose your starting weapon from the 5 classes which is rad. Kusarigama playthrough baby!