Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really like the depth you can get out of this game's stance-chaning, ki pulse thing. I'm only barely scratching the surface but I can see how it would be really fun and cool. Also I really love spears, holy poo poo.

I'm also terrible at it. I've kind of just thrown my skill points every which way--I'm a fan of the skill tree and getting to preview skills and such, though I think it's kind of duplicative with the Souls-style stat system--but I'm having a blast. I did a Living Weapon by accident the first time and it was so drat cool and unexpected. I haven't even gotten to the first boss of the demo yet--there are two, right?--but I'm determined to do so before the demo closes.

I'm pretty sold on this. I do feel more fragile than I'd like though. But it's a really cool game and I'm excited to see the full version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What's everyone's favorite guardian spirit? Do they have different Living Weapon effects?

I've been rolling with the cool bird dude who makes your evasion take less ki mostly because of its magnificent plumage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What is a good build for the demo anyway? Should I be specializing in one weapon type? Is the onmyo magic worth increasing the magic stat for? Should I be focusing on either Strength or Skill, or is it being to raise both?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a particular element that the bosses are each weak to? I have Fire and Water talisman but I might as well use these onmyo skill points for something if it's worth it.

Also I find the axe oni on the roof in the latter part of the first area to be literally impossible. Holy poo poo I get hit once and I might as well just put the controller down. What's extra frustrating is how many guys I have to kill again and again to get back to him, and I'm out of arrows.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 1, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Listen, I like this demo and all, but dying instantly from full Life because I dodged backwards into fire is not okay. I understand taking damage from fire but when you're going to make me fight on small rooftops and a good third of each is on fire, that's a bit excessive.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How much damage should I be doing to the first boss? I feel like I do chip damage to him at best and I'm two- or three-shotting most enemies in this area. But I can't seem to keep up the dance against the first boss long enough to wear down his health.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't feel like it's possible to i-frame through his iron balls--it seems like their hitframes are active just long enough that you can't really iframe through them reliably without perfect timing. So I just take such a huge beating in the first phase that by the second phase I don't have any Elixirs left and I'm hosed if I get hit once.

Also I really hope they rework durability in the main game. I really don't want to have to go grind enemies with lovely weapons in the hopes that I can turn in their drops and hope I get some Whetstones because I keep dying to a boss. It's like Bloodborne's blood vials but worse.

Yeah, I don't think I'm completing this demo by May 5. I'd love to keep trying this boss but I need more than 3 Elixirs because I swear to gently caress there are unavoidable attacks in his ball-and-chain phase, and I'm out of Whetstones so the next time one of my two good weapons starts to break it's time to go grinding and I really hate that.

All durability mechanics in all action games should be abolished.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 1, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

I literally just run away when he starts his big 360 swing and the run in and punish. Bait the forward slam and run around and punish.

I mean, maybe he has a big enough tell on his spin attack that I could run away, but that isn't working for me. Trying to run away just means a ball is going to hit me in the back. I've had decent luck blocking it but (as is reasonable) the overhead swings can't be blocked so I just get crushed.

I'm out of Whetstones now so this gets one more try and then I think I'm done with the demo. I'd like the DLC you get for beating it but I don't want to have to grind to git gud :smith:

I don't think I've ever felt like a Souls game was legitimately too hard for me or something I could never actually pull off but the first loving boss of this is doing that to me and I'm kind of baffled. I don't understand how this could be so hard for me.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 1, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah if you try to dodge backwards from upclose you won't get far enough away. I hung out at midrange waiting for the tell and then literally ran away.

I don't think I've ever had fewer than 5 wetstones. But yeah I guess if there's a big RNG influence there I could see that being super lame.

I am curious, and might test soon, how much fire resistance helps against getting instant-killed by the fire. I doubt it will help much, but throwing on ~40 lighting resist halved Nue's damage, so who knows.

Since it's a heavily gear an consumable-based game, it's not like Dark Souls where you want to skip enemies. While there's gonna be some overlap, I think the loot/farm aspect of this game is gonna mean that a big chunk of Soulsgames players won't be interested. That's fine, they are different games.

I'm fine doing some loot farming honestly, that's totally cool by me.

It just needs a shop, or more guaranteed Elixirs, or ditch Whetstones/Glue and only require you to spend resource to repair truly broken equipment. I get that making offerings and getting things like Elixirs or Whetstones back is supposed to kind of fill that role but to me it just feels like I'm praying for RNG to grant me absolutely vital resources and I'm not a big fan of that. Just let me buy some Elixirs with all this gold or something.

I'll grind for cool loot for hours, but I get really turned off when I have to grind for essentials. That I could buy Blood Vials in Bloodborne really helped with that.

EDIT: It's probably also this specific style of boss that really gets to me. It's a Capra Demon boss: the real enemy is the tiny room you're in. To this day Capra Demon destroys me in DS1, probably the only boss in the game that still does that to me, just because the tiny room gives you nowhere to go when poo poo goes down. This boss is the same kind of deal so I think I just have residual Capra anger.

I absolutely adore fighting human enemies in this. It's like Bushido Blade and it's a blast.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:42 on May 1, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Belzac posted:

This game is about being aggressive and never letting up. It sounds like you're over 70% equip load which is a death sentence. Get in the bosses face and side dash around any attack that isn't the swing. When he swings just block. Master Ki Pulse to have infinite stamina. Stop playing the game like Dark Souls.

If at any point in time you're pressing backwards on the left control stick you're probably going to die.

I'm not over 70% equip load. 58% actually.

I'm really bad at Ki Pulse so maybe that's my problem.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, blocking his spin doesn't work.

What direction am I supposed to run? Because both directions get me hit in the back.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What are people doing differently from me that just running avoids the spin? Because no matter what I do it just hits me in the back if I do that. The best I can do is stay put and block and then it's just 50/50 whether I'm far enough away that the ball doesn't just hit me in the side anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That only seems to work if I'm at exactly the right distance. If I'm too close the ball hits me in the side anyway. I'm getting pretty good at being at that distance, but still, I can't just press block and everything's fine.

I actually don't think the second phase is as bad but I just can't get there with any Elixirs left so one or two hits and I'm done. I'm also horrible at dodging the thrown balls because they're always just barely slower than I expect.

I dunno, I really didn't think I was just Bad At Video Games to the core until now but this seems irrefutable evidence.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finally beat him. Jesus.

Managed to get lucky with Living Weapon, popped it right at the second phase and stunlocked him down to having two hits left, then just finished him off.

Nue is going to be the death of me irl I'm guessing

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there another DLC to get after Mark of the Conqueror, or is that it?

I can't decide if I want to run through the second mission right now or make a new guy and spec for spears. The spears seem really good. Are they actually as good as they seem?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really love that they show you the enemy's Ki meter. That's really vital given how important it is to manage your own and attack when your enemies are vulnerable. That alone makes fighting the human enemies an absolute joy in this.

Marogareh posted:

Spears are pretty drat good and it has a move in mid stance that forces an enemy to show their back to you on demand. It also has a sweep that knocks enemies down but the input is a bit annoying to do.

Can you have multiple saves? Because now I definitely want to make a spear dude.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This person is good at Nioh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPmUPfN33a8

I want to be this good at stance-switching and ki pulse.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah, in surprised they don't use high stance more though.

Yeah, high stance is my favorite, especially with katanas. Spear low stance is nuts, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Belzac posted:

He's actually exceptionally bad at ki pulsing. Dodging after an attack in low stance is like the super lovely ki pulse. If he delayed his dodge by another half second he would return like quadruple the stamina. He's bascially just spamming dodge with looks flashy but is super easy. If you want to play like this guy just go low stance 99% of the time and press x after every attack.

Do you get more ki back for switching stances during a ki pulse, or am I just imagining things from when I was playing around with it? Maybe changing stances just forced me to time my ki pulse better and it seemed like I got more back for switching when it was actually just better timing.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 2, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Turning on "game" instead of "movie" mode made such a huge difference in my enjoyment of this demo. I didn't notice the resolution changes on my TV nearly as much as I noticed the frame drops when it tried to maintain a steady 1080p.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing that strikes me about the demo is that the Souls-style "level up your stats with Amrita" part feels kind of unnecessary.

You're probably placing your levels so that you specialize in one weapon type over the others. Body + Strength for spears, Heart + Skill for katanas, etc. Maybe splash some Strength or Skill for weapon or armor requirements. But you're also specializing by spending skill points in skill trees, and sometimes those give you new, active things you can do and sometimes they give you little passive boosts that are similar to what your stats do. I think the skill tree is the more interesting of the two, to the point that I'm not sure what the stat-by-stat leveling is really doing there. (Okay, I also get that leveling your stats gives you skill points and how many and what kind you get depends on what stat, but that also seems like it's the middleman when you could just buy skills directly with Amrita.)

Maybe in the full game, late-game equipment will have really high Strength and Skill requirements and the point is that you have to balance out meeting the requirements for equipment while having the stats to scale your chosen weapon type and enough Life and Ki? I dunno. I think I'd rather just have the skill trees and tie Life and Ki upgrades to skills.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo, the Kekai Talismans are insane. I think I'm conditioned from Souls games to think that anything that makes your stamina regen faster is going to be a relatively small buff, but ohhhhh no. Kekai Talismans make your Ki regen lightning fast and it's amazing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

I just tried Onmyo Magic for the first time. drat it's good. This game is so good. I am gonna be so mad if it doesn't come out this year.

I haven't done a ton with the elemental talismans, but enough to know that I'm pretty sure (if the stats stay how they are) I'm probably going to want to like Heart/Skill/Magic in the full game. Kekai Talismans on their own are incredible and Sloth Talismans are really useful, too. The elemental weapon buffs seem to add good damage and I'm gonna guess it scales with your Magic stat.

Incidentally, Heart seems like it may be a bit too good. Not only is it the only stat that increases your max Ki, something every build needs, but it also gives you pretty good Life per point and scales katanas. Maybe the point is that every build should be able to use katanas reliably, even if you're more of a spear or axe build, which I kinda get, but it also makes a very Heart-focused build extremely tempting--you'll have decent Life, really high Ki, and great katana damage. It could also be that I'm not valuing the high amount of Life that Body gives you enough--maybe every build should have some Body, meaning that spears would be in a good position--but when every stat gives you at least some Life, the "this is the main Life-increasing stat" thing feels less vital.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 3, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

Soulsgames are kind of the same way. Life-increasing stats vary in value depending on playstyle and game, since each soulsgame has stats balanced a bit differently.

I haven't done anything with weapons besides swords yet. I really want to try spears before the demo ends, but I'm afraid I'm not gonna have time to try very much. I have school projects due this week.

edit: Heart seemed the like the obvious super-stat to me at first as well. But I feel like diversifying a little bit can get you a lot more power. Initially I was just leveling heart, but I started seeing gear that had higher requirements in other stats, and I think that 1 point in Magic gives you more elemental damage per hit than Heart gives you physical damage, so I don't think teching Heart is good for a pure burst dps build. Which means it's more complicated than it initially seems. So it might be the case that Heart is a really good, safe stat to stack, but it's far from optimal to focus on.

edit: Short (~3 minute) video I made of taking down the first boss (Onryoki) with Magic and Living Weapon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGnBguUKlrc

The elemental talismans seemed to add a pretty good amount of damage.

I might also be looking at Heart through a Dark Souls lens, where increasing your Stamina via stats is basically the only way you're going to do it in meaningful amounts. In the Nioh demo, I've got plenty of armor pieces that give extra Ki, so my original belief that every build will need high Heart might be off. I also wouldn't be surprised if skilled Nioh players consider Ki to be a crutch the same way skilled Souls players sometimes consider HP a crutch--just like how you don't need much HP if you rarely get hit, you don't need much Ki if you're reliably good at Ki pulsing.

Living Weapon reminded me that I might end up being a pretty big fan of Spirit, too. Living Weapon is basically what won me that boss fight, but I wonder how much Spirit affects the duration and charge rate of your Living Weapon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, that's also true. I'm curious how the Spirit stat will shake out in the full game and whether it'll be necessary if you want to really get use out of your guardian spirit, or if it's going to basically be a third type of magic: Dexterity for ninjutsu's tricks, Magic for onmyo magic's activated buffs and debuffs, and Spirit for the passive buffs you get from your spirit and more frequent/longer-lasting Living Weapon.

It's that more frequent/longer-lasting Living Weapon part that's making me really want to level Spirit, though. Living Weapon is strong as hell and is a great "oh god drat it I pulled four enemies" button. But the thing I'm curious about is whether I'll have Living Weapon available frequently and long enough for my purposes at low Spirit, or if high Spirit makes it so frequent that you can just tear through whole groups of enemies with it fairly regularly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

But I love the weird goofy braids. Spirit chicken is adorable :3:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

I think there's going to be a whole lot of interesting build variety in the final game.

Unlike souls, there are are only the 3 weapon types. But presumably Ninjutsu and Onmyo Magic builds will be viable with all of them, and focusing on Spirit could be a bit of an alternative build where you do a lot less damage normally but ramp into really powerful living weapon frequently. I doubt there are going to be any real "caster" builds, which is great, because I hate poo poo like that. But before the demo ends, I want to experiment with a pure Ninjutsu build and see how effective the poison is with really high skills.

I saw that it's theoretically possible to poison the first boss, but I didn't get his poison bar to actually fill up, so I don't know how much damage he would have taken. So I'm gonna try that and a spear build before the demo ends, I think.

Onmyo magic is the kind of magic I've wanted in a Souls game for a while: it's very thoroughly designed to complement your melee abilities, not to replace them with boring lasers. In the demo, it has one extremely strong buff (Kekai Talisman, Ki regen shoots through the roof, lasts a good amount of time, too), a useful debuff (Sloth Talisman), and a way to temporarily add elemental damage to your weapon (this it has in common with Souls magic). I'm really curious to see what it'll have in the full game. I suppose it's similar to Souls miracles, but the casting animations--how quick they are, mostly--makes it easy to work it in during a fight in the way that you kind of can't in a Souls game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Belzac posted:

I can't use a lot of Katanas because my Heart stat is so low and I still have like 140 Ki. There's a ton on weapons and armor and just :gitgud:. Ki Pulse and Ki Dodge your way to victory.

Yeah, I figured that people who are good at the game (unlike me) would find high Ki to be unnecessary because Ki Pulse lets you have functionally unlimited Ki if you're good at it. And I'm still in a Souls mentality where I figure stats are going to be the main source of Stamina, when Nioh has plenty of weapons and armor that increase your maximum Ki.

I should do that spear build before the demo goes away. Maybe Body/Strength/Magic.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm guessing that we'll be able to level up each individual onmyo magic spell farther in the main game than we can here, so eventually the number of uses should get pretty high. In the demo the amount of uses you get for each elemental talisman is really low for how many jutsu slots they take. You get plenty of Kekai and Sloth Talismans, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

I like that there's a gauge that shows you how much time is left of your elemental effect. That's something I really wish soulsgames had. Soulsgames have bars for things like poison, but you never know how much time your resin/firepaper has left.

Yeah, buff timers are fantastic and it's really baffling that it never got implemented in a Souls game. That they're visible for all buffs is really nice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What does earth do?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Started a spears + onmyo magic guy. Spears own.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Belzac posted:

Please don't main a weapon and stance. Use everything at your disposal. Difference stances and weapons are good against different types. I see way too many people pick high stance and then forget that stances exist and then get destroyed by multiple opponents or fast enemies.

I feel like you sort of have to main a weapon for stat scaling reasons, unless you aren't leveling any type of magic or Spirit. Stances, though, are definitely situational.

Maybe I'm just thinking about the stats in too much of a Souls way, I dunno. But I'm definitely less effective with swords or axes on my spear and onmyo magic guy because I have lowish Strength and base Heart.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I mean, I'd never do a one weapon, one stance thing. You're supposed to switch stances on the fly and I'm happy to play that game. I guess what I mean is that, so long as there's a stat system like there is in the demo, you're at best going to have a main and secondary weapon type just to maximize scaling (assuming there aren't, like, outlier katanas that scale with Strength better than Heart or something), or maybe two main weapon types but you ignore onmyo magic, ninjutsu, and Spirit. Just going off the demo, of course.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I hope they let you queue for matchmaking from shrines in the full game. Just put the option right next to the Summon a Visitor option.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm fine with a mission structure, especially if it lets them make cool, intricate levels in the full game without having to worry about some sort of open-world aspect.

I'm really hyped for this, much more than I was before the demo. That's exactly what a demo is supposed to do and so rarely does.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I hope they don't turn down the difficulty too much--it was definitely too punishing before you start getting good armor and level up a bit, but it started to feel pretty good once you get rolling--but I'm real glad durability's going away, especially on armor.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They did say they adjusted the drop rates, so that might be the case.

I don't really mind inventory management, so long as it's easier to ditch unwanted items and get something for them. Having a little confirmation prompt for every item in the alpha was a pain, and so was getting random items back. I'd have preferred getting gold back and then just being able to use that gold to buy Elixirs and stuff instead of sacrificing items and hoping I got Elixirs or Whetstones back. (Well, we won't need Whetstones anymore, but still.)

I actually don't think they needed to ditch weapon durability entirely. Armor durability needed to go for sure, but weapon durability could've just been tweaked a bit because the apparent lack of weapon upgrading means that there isn't a ton of sunk cost into each weapon. If one katana starts to break, you can switch to another without having to pump upgrade materials into it, and you're getting relatively frequent drops anyway. That could've worked out just fine. But I'd prefer no durability system to a punishing durability system, so I'm not complaining that it's gone.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I doubt there'll be an actual difficulty select, but probably a smoother difficulty curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What sort of build should I do first for this demo? I don't remember what worked well last time.