Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Is it worth more to sell divine shards or just sell the divine gear?

Good question--I actually never tested! I'd just been breaking them down without checking and then selling the shards when I had more than like 30 on hand. It's possible just selling the gear would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I couldn't really tell what the deal with Tengen Kujaku's summon attack was, either. I thought it was cool that its Living Weapon mode cycles through elements and that it has a bonus that makes elemental buffs on your weapons last longer, but other than that it doesn't seem super great. I guess it'd let me un-ready my Divination Talismans, too?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unfinish3d posted:

I spent most of the game prioritizing fast-charging spirits, but now I'm more focused on what the guardian spirit talisman does.

Speaking of which, what's everyone's favorite couple of spirits?

My favorites are Suzaku, Daiba-Washi, and Paired Raiken for the Guardian Spirit Talisman. Suzaku does a huge fire AoE and can do some great multi-hits on enemies if you get the range right. Daiba-Washi isn't great for building up the wind debuff, but it's a fast, guaranteed knockdown that can completely trivialize any fight with a human opponent. And Paired Raiken is a multi-hit attack that stacks the lightning debuff almost instantly, which is basically a mini Sloth Talisman that counts towards discord. Paired Raiken get credit for getting me through some of the hardest multi-yokai fights.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Right now I'm level 72, the only available mission I have is recommended at 78. Do I need to grind up a some levels to comfortably take the mission on, or am I fine to go forward?

You're fine. Mission levels are more an indication of loot quality than anything. Pay more attention to the number of graves that goes from one to five, that's a better indicator.

In NG+ you'll routinely do missions 150 levels above you no problem.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Man I am awful at this - I might have hosed up my build. I wanted to do the chain sickle thing and raised dex and skill to 15, and body to 8. I'm on the second mission and stuck on the bat lady boss - not sure I've even gotten her below half. The chain whip doesn't seem great there so I've been doing double swords, but I can't seem to safely get more than 1 swing in, and even then, I'm having a ton of trouble dodging the big spinning move that summons a yokai region. Then, she gets all her stamina back because after that move, I don't even have time to low-stance quick attack purify without getting hit again.

You haven't hosed up your build, trust me. It's nearly impossible to do so in Nioh. Weapons scale with three stats each and they do so pretty generously, so don't worry too much about what stats you're increasing.

The bat lady boss is hard and is a brick wall for a lot of players. Make sure you block when you're getting hit with a combo--it's easier to block out of a combo than to dodge, and blocking is very strong in Nioh. Equip Anti-Paralytic Needles to a quickslot, because you can use them when you're paralyzed to instantly break free. Since you've been leveling Dexterity, you should have some ninjutsu. When she flies into the air, tag her with a few shuriken or kunai and she'll fall down and be stunned for a moment.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's also a ninjutsu skill that gives you pills that make you immune to paralysis for a short time. Since you've leveled Dexterity, you might have some skill points you can grab those with.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm using these pills, my problem is mostly just dodging consistently - I occasionally die to paralysis but it's rare. I'm trying to get used to blocking more - bloodborne/souls gave me bad habits for this game.

Knowing she drops out of the air if you throw kunai will help for sure.

Yeah, this game is different enough from Souls and Bloodborne that you need to unlearn some things.

If it helps, the invincibility on your dodge comes right at the start of the animation, so you want to dodge at the last possible moment to dodge through an attack. Dodging around her and hitting her in the back gives you much bigger openings.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does dodging while blocking leave you vulnerable at all? Like, can you be hit out of it by an attack that is otherwise blockable?

You drop your guard specifically while you're dodging and then block again as soon as you're done. So during any parts of the dodge that don't have i-frames, you're vulnerable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mentalcontempt posted:

I'm having a really hard time finding weapons/play style that clicks for me in this game. Partly just due to the many options.

Swords are very, very, very good, especially in the late game. The Sword of Execution mystic art gives you a massive damage bonus when you hit enemies from behind on top of the damage bonus you already get for that. They're straightforward and extremely effective. As for the Iai Quickdraw moves, don't try to use them on enemies that are up and moving around until you get a very good feeling for the timing. Instead, use them when you knock an enemy down (for example, buy hitting them with a light attack when they're out of Ki)--it does a ton of damage and also resets their "downed" time, so you can do it again or just stab them for even more damage.

Try to learn the parry timings if you can, because it's the easiest way to set up that knockdown -> Iai Quickdraw -> stab combo. The only parry that's worth your time is Haze, and that's only if you get the Haze II upgrade. The parry timing in Nioh is different for each kind of parry and it really sort of comes down to muscle memory--you have to react much more quickly to the enemy's attack to parry it successfully than you do in Bloodborne or Souls. Once you get it, though, it's so, so, so satisfying.

MMF Freeway is right about spears, too. Use the mid stance triangle (heavy attack) combo in tight areas to do thrusts so you won't bounce off walls. Eventually, you can get the Stability mystic art, which makes it so your spear attacks never bounce off walls. You seem to like spears more than swords or dual swords, so try to keep using them, and use thrusts when you're in tight spaces.

I can't agree that dual sword skills are bland. They let you turn William into a blender in multiple ways!

Kusarigama are good even without a ninjutsu build, though they do share a primary stat with ninjutsu so you might as well. They have great range, great sweeps, and do excellent damage up-close with the Reaper skill (another "turn William into a blender" attack). Kusarigama work well with magic, too, because their fast hits mean you can build up elemental status effects quickly.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mentalcontempt posted:

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I'll mess around with swords more and look into some of those spear skills too.

Here's a video of someone clowning on enemies with a sword in NG+ if you want some inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxS51HqgiYY

And a video of that same player showcasing how the dual swords' blender mode works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_plk4Ohlqg

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mentalcontempt posted:

Geez, that last one where her ki is depleted and he goes into blender mode (water sword?) is nuts.

Yeah, that's Water Sword. You can do the same with the kusarigama's Reaper skill, too. That's what speedrunners are using right now to melt boss health bars.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

There's Water Sword and Random Slice. Water Sword is stationary but Random Slice makes you dash forward in blender mode.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Any light armor set bonuses ideal for dual swords/kusarigama?

Justice Ministry has a dual swords bonus and a dual swords as part of the set.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calidus posted:

and you get to look amazing in white and purple

Hell yeah, Justice Ministry looks rad as hell.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MMF Freeway posted:

Does agility bonus damage stack? Like if I have it on a weapon and the guardian spirit?

I know Change to Attack stacks if you have it on both an armor set and a weapon. Should be easy to test at least: check your damage with and without Aya-Komori.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Superschaf posted:

Pro-tip: You can just have the agility bonus on your ranged weapon and it works for your melee weapon too. Agility bonus on both the ranged and melee weapon doesn't stack.

1. Huh, that's pretty sweet. Does it stack with Familiarity Bonus on a weapon?

2. I guess that probably means Aya-Komori's Agility bonus won't stack with a weapon, then. I suspected that "Damage Boost" might work differently than "Change to Attack" because it's percentile, while Change to Attack is just a flat number based on your stat, so stacking can't get quite as out-of-control.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Superschaf posted:

Yes it does. I have agility bonus on my bow and familiarity bonus on my dual swords (and +20% close combat damage on my 1kat, but that's incredibly hard to get).

poo poo, I gotta step up my min-max game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Davos posted:

Am I right to assume that it's always better to equip an armor set rather than mixing and maxing gear as you find it? Been going through most of the game in Warrior of the West stuff and soul matching when it starts to lag behind and it just seems like the benefits of using half the random gear I find never outweighs the loss of the WotW set bonuses themselves. At this point new armor drops just feel like materials waiting to be disassembled unless it's something for a different set I might want to use later

Yes and no.

In NG, it's not really worth it to worry about armor sets. Soul matching is prohibitively expensive in the later game and you're better off just wearing what you can find--set bonuses are nice, but when they hold you back from wearing better armor, just wear the better armor. In NG+, though, sets are great, because soul matching divine gear is much more affordable (and something you're actually supposed to do) and you can get an accessory that makes it so you need one fewer piece to activate any given set bonus.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it a good idea to invest in Magic a bit if you're not planning on using a lot of magic for offense? Like, for example, if you just want some utility spells (sloth talisman, etc.), how much investment into Magic is worth it?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really enjoyed the first Nioh, though I didn't get too far into the postgame/NG+ gear grind or play any of the DLCs. (Not out of any opposition to a gear grind, just moved on to other games and didn't come back.)

That said, I'm interested in getting Nioh 2. What I'm wondering is: is it better to buy the PS4 version and all the DLCs separately now, or should I just wait for the complete edition/PS5 update in February? I think I've read that the PS5 version is a free upgrade if you already own Nioh 2 and the DLCs but I'm not sure what's likely to be more cost effective.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 23, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That bullet point is definitely a bit ambiguous but I think it makes the most sense if it's also a free upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Augus posted:

goddamn the "Beyond Infinity" fist skill just completely melts enemies if you get the timing for it right. sometimes even if you don't

I just looked up this move and holy poo poo I need to play this game