Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hell yeah, I was wondering where they were gonna go after doing all the juicy parts of Japanese history. Doing Three Kingdoms stuff with their style of wild fantasy bullshit is gonna be super fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

God, that sounds like exactly what I want. Going to China opens up a lot more options for weapons, they can add some really fun stuff there.

Cannot wait to get murdered by Lu Bu a thousand times, destroying my morale in-game and IRL :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I think everything that was shown at the Microsoft/Bethesda thing was supposed to be out within a year, so yeah before June next year at the latest.

It could be a stance thing, where being aligned with an element/phase allows you to do attack the appropriate ones according to taoist tradition. Meaning that everyone is going to have to memorize this chart:

Of course, it's really hard to guess anything based on that kind of copy, but they do love their deep cut references to mythology and mysticism, so....

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oooh yeah, that sounds very interesting. Looks like they're doing a proper open world in this one.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Stranger of paradise on steam when?

Epic exclusivity is usually either six months or a year, and it's been six months already so... March 2023, I guess.

Which is also when Wo Long is coming out, so we get two on steam in one month!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Playing the first game before the second is probably a good idea not for plot reasons, as they're not very closely connected and the second is mostly a prequel, but because the mechanics would be even more overwhelming without knowing the basics going in.

I loved the additional mechanics in Nioh 2, but only because I already understood stances and ki bursts and whatnot.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Morter posted:

Counter-point: gently caress that boss.

Granted, this was when I was new and terrible at this game, but that boss had never done that beam that early--typically by the 3rd phase (when at the sides). I probably should've seen it coming, but at this point I found the bosses slogs and hated them. I still do, generally, but I'm much much much much much better at dealing with Nioh bosses, several years and 1000+ hours later

Ahahaha, yeah, I've gotten hit by that one too. Feels great to dodge it when it does that, though.

There are like three bosses* in Nioh that are absolutely miserable to fight, and two of them are very early on in the game. The sequel was much better in that regard, the snake was my only roadblock. It really felt like the boses were better designed, not as many cheap instant-kills, and you had better tools to deal with their bullshit (the yokai counter thing).

* Nue, Umibozu, and Gashadokuro. God the Gashadokuro fight was so annoying. The centipede boss was a little tricky, but once you figure out the gimmick it's not bad.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

catgirlgenius posted:

i'm playing Nioh 2 for the first time, having a lot of fun, but now that i'm out of the first region i have to wonder

was i right in assuming those big yokai bosses were not parriable? i made a few attempts with the Switchglaive mid stance parry and it just didn't pan out. i was more than a little dissappointed that the best way to beat Enenra and the snake boss was to just sneak High hits whenever i wasn't baiting attacks with Low stance

the kusarigama parry only seems to work on human enemies, too...

Yeah, I believe the tooltip for the parry abilities explicitly says that they only work on human enemies. However, the yokai counter (that you use when enemies eyes turn red) works on everything, that's what gives you opportunities against bosses.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Lady Osakabe is probably the best one of those types of boss fights they've done. I mean, it's still annoying, but it is at least functional in a way that Orochi or Umibozu aren't.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Darth Walrus posted:

Ninjutsu is better for pure ranged firepower, at the expense of utility and elemental variety. Onmyodo can deal significant ranged damage, but the buffs and debuffs that stack a fight in your favour are the star attraction.

Ninjutsu does have some elemental nukes further down the skill tree, they don't have a lot of uses but they're powerful and hit a wide area. Really nice to have for bosses.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Getting very hyped for this.

The world looks a lot bigger than I was expecting. Based on the earlier trailers, I figured it would be one relatively compact city, but they're really going all out. Looks like cats are the new kodama :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Farming smithing texts and skills is brutal. I managed to get Sacred Bird Cry off Yoshitsune the second try, but the next dozen I’ve got nothing. Give me your armor and sword dance you loving bird!

It's awful, I spent hours trying to get all the recipes for Benkei's armor. You can really get those fights down to a science, though, which is kinda fun.