Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Am I the only one who finds it a bit odd that they refer to spears as, well, spears rather than yari? At first guess it's because the term isn't as well known to an English audience compared to, say, ninjutsu and katana. But I still find it weird when you look at the names for bombs, how the katana themselves are named, how all the armor is named, the tea cup for summoning. That's not the only bit of inconsistent translation, either. The poison and paralysis ninjutsu are given translated names, but then you have makibishi instead of, say, caltrops. You have the kekkai talismans from Onmyoji, and then right next to them you have... sloth talismans.

Really, my entire point here is that it seems a bit odd how inconsistent they seem to be with what terms to translate and what terms to leave Japanese. I understand a lot of it could be due to Western familiarity with certain terms (that and just calling them tea cups would sound a bit silly), but would your average English speaker really be familiar with what the heck kekkai means? I'm definitely not asking for some Japanophile-fest where half the terms are left untranslated Just Because, but I would like a bit more consistency in some parts of it. But hey, this is an alpha demo, so I wouldn't be surprised if the translation was a bit rushed and the final product delivers what I'm asking for on this front.

What's everyone else's thoughts on how they think it should be handled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Davincie posted:

i was thinking the reason they named yari spears is because maybe later in the game you get european type spears too. i understand the annoyance with the inconsistency though, its always weird when certain terms are left untranslated while other are

I did consider that, as well as the possibility of using a naginata or some other type of polearm/staff as well. The spear/yari thing is just what initially lead me to think about all the other inconsistencies, really. And I imagine it's probably pretty tricky for the localizers, as you wouldn't want to make the game unapproachable to the average person by throwing out tons of Japanese words/names they have to sift through to remember what anything is.

Still, though, none of this is a dealbreaker, and I think I'll probably buy the game regardless of whether they retain these inconsistencies or not.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
After looking at the weapons, I find it kinda interesting that Strength and Skill are kinda... underutilized, except for axes. Spears and Katana both benefit majorly from other stats (Heart for katana, Body for spears). I do like how they kinda try to compensate for it by making Strength and Skill give more Samurai skill points, though. And by making Skill give a far greater boost to Ki Pulse than Strength, since Skill isn't the primary scaling stat for anything.

I also like how it emphasizes the strengths of the weapon types. Katana, by benefiting primarily from the Ki boosting stat, and from their skills, excel at efficient Ki management and being able to throw out lots of attacks. Quite effective, since they're also the fastest weapon type, and with Skill being their secondary stat means you'll have potent Ki Pulses as well. Although this is somewhat balanced by katana also having hands down the lowest durability of all the weapons, so their rapid, fast attacks kinda works against them as well. Spears, meanwhile, emphasize their defensive nature. The high Body scaling means you'll have lots more HP, plus spears tend to have the highest Parry ratings and their length lets you play zoning games with the enemy to attack with greater safety. The stats for axes, meanwhile, emphasize their overwhelming offense. Highest break rating in the game, and having secondary and tertiary scaling in Body and Stamina means you'll have tons of HP and the ability to wear heavier armor (with Strength providing minor assistance on that front as well). Axes are horribly inefficient with Ki, but they make up for it by massive damage and their stats ensuring great defense if you do get hit while recovering or attacking.

So yeah, the devs did a great job at ensuring that the stat scaling for your weapons greatly complements and emphasizes the style and strengths of the weapon types.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
So I've learned some things about the weapon Familiarity mechanic they introduced. The help summary simply states that you get more Amrita for offering a weapon with maxed familiarity, and there's on Onmyoji that consumes familiarity for a magic attack, but raising it also seems to boost the additional effects of the weapon (or at least I'm assuming so, as they turn blue after reaching certain tiers) AND the damage. I had a dual katana that was my weakest weapon, but I was close to maxing familiarity with it so I kept using it a little longer. When I went to swap it out, it suddenly had the highest attack rating of all my weapons. It went from, I believe, 90 something to 120. I'm not sure if any attack increases occur per tier of the familiarity gauge, or if it's just a bonus for maxing it out.

I also like the additions they made to the skill system. The weapon skill choices feel a bit more interesting now, rather than being a smattering of +/-X% to (action) during [stance]. I especially like the host of new additions to onmyoji and ninjutsu, and that they still have a smattering of good passives for players who'd rather not mess with magic much but still get some use out of the skill points from levels/items. Speaking of, I like getting skill points from items now (and from just using stuff, though I've not messed around enough with it to know if using lots of magic gives points like weapons do).

The changes to how ranged weapons are used is throwing me off a tad, but I'll get used to it. And I like having more than one ammo type. Having yokai killing arrows is pretty nice! Looking forward to seeing what other types of ammo are for guns/cannons. It'd be kinda boring if it's all just anti-human and anti-yokai, but it'd still work effectively.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

lordfrikk posted:

I just got the Complete edition of this game and wanted to ask for some spoiler-free tips and tricks for someone who only played the Souls games. Are there any obvious build paths or weapons that I should avoid or similar "I've played Nioh for 1000 hours"-level of advice?

Most prominent thing to remember that comes to mind for me: You can inexplicably block a sticky explosive stuck to the back of your knee by just holding your weapon out in front of you. Blocking can be quite effective against some surprising things.

Although the game does have a lot of Souls inspiration, it is still a different beast. Try to be open to adapting your playstyle as you get the hang of the differences.

Ranged weapons aren't mostly just for pulling enemies like in Souls. Headshots with most ranged weapons should one-shot the average enemy. Use it to your advantage.

Enemies have Ki/Stamina just like you do, and it's visible below their health when you target them. Focusing on draining their Ki with kicks or similar attacks can be very effective against human enemies.

Elemental damage can inflict status ailments. Inflicting ailments from more than one element type will inflict a very powerful ailment that can render enemies quite vulnerable.

Learn the Ki Pulse ability ASAP, and practice using it. It lets you instantly recover a portion/all of your Ki after attacking and can let you greatly increase the tempo of combat and seize the initiative. Perfect Ki Pulsing is also very important when fighting Yokai enemies, as their most powerful attacks leave fields of corrupt Ki that seriously hinder your own Ki regeneration and bolsters their own. Also look into the skills that let you Ki Pulse on dodging, as this lets you weave evasion into your attacks and keep up the pressure on bosses or tough enemies.

Do note that I'm very much NOT an expert in the game, these are just prominent things I remember, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of it is a little off in terms of usefulness from an expert's viewpoint (or just outright wrong, but I tried to stick to very basic stuff).

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

RatHat posted:

Huh, they're doing an English dub for this one? I liked how the old one did it with everyone speaking their own language. Of course this one likely won't have any non-Japanese speakers(aside from maaaybe Yasuke).

It does kinda gel with how in the beta they actually translated the names of the armor pieces instead of leaving them in romanized Japanese. I personally kinda liked how it was done in the first game, even if it was kinda inconsistent at times.

At the same time, I think part of why it worked in the first game as because we were playing a foreigner. It kinda makes sense for everything to be translated if we are playing, presumably, as someone born and raised in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

infraboy posted:

Shibata Katsuie by far the worst boss fight i've ever experience from anything Fromsoft and Nioh 1, he has loads of HP, and he generally has 2-3 variations of almost all his attacks, absurdly difficult to read any of his moves and follow ups. At least 3-4 hours of attempts.

Shibata is pretty vulnerable to poison as well, so that's also a good option in addition to trying to slow him down with Lightning. Gutsy attacks on his horns when he's charging can also mess him up, if I recall correctly, but it's a gamble.