Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
It looks like I'm going to need to dump some points into Dex and Magic so I can unlock the additional dojo training sessions. I don't really rely on either; do the Adept and Veteran trainings require me to have gotten to a certain region first? That would help me pace out these less-useful levels.

Also, does anyone else try and kill the red Revenants in a way that matches the description of how they died? I think some of them are kind of funny, like the Ladder Acrobat guy who always seems to have died from falling. His sword is usually by a cliff too, so I try and kick him off the edge to fulfill his destiny. Same with people who died from poison or fire. The Ladder Acrobat seems to have unique armor too, which is incentive enough for me to summon every red Revenant I run across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Harrow posted:

Nope, it's the lute guys! If you kill them, the revenants stop coming. I'm not sure if killing them kills any revenants they've summoned too or not, I haven't tested that.

No, killing the musician won't kill the revenants.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

Good to know. There's that one sub-mission in the Hino-Enma cave that ends with a fight against a bunch of yokai with one of the musicians hiding in a locked room, and I must have killed him just before he finished summoning a revenant, then.

I think that's different. When you kill the last enemy or boss of a mission, all the other enemies die or despawn. You can run around opening chests but you can't summon any more revenants. So in that case, I think what you killed was a proverbial load-bearing musician that triggered the end state and killed every remaining enemy.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I've gotten into the habit of sheathing my weapon after a fight, and I want to answer this question that you might have had: there is no benefit or compensation for sheathing a living weapon. There is bonus to the wait time before the Amrita gauge starts filling or to how much the gauge will start at (always 0 for both). Don't waste it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Dual Katanas and Onmyo are a killer build. I'm around level 70 and with 25 in Skill and I'm trying to get Magic up to 15, but every new spell I learn only makes me incrementally more powerful. 2K alone are great; their Light->Heavy->Heavy kick combo decimates health and Ki bars, and it has usually been leading right into a Final Attack. If I get the standing Final Attack, it chains into the 2K version of the Iai Quickdraw or the standing blender. And that blender move is choice for large enemies, especially when combined with Power Pills and the Onmyo Weakness and Sloth (I'm going to grab Carnage and see how crazy the damage can get). With elemental weapons I can connect so many hits that the numbers are still popping up well after I've backed off the regain Ki.

It was mentioned before in this thread that each weapon has a decent moveset without the skill trees, and that's true. Right from the start you are incredible competent with everything and can beat the game without investing a single Samurai skill point. But boy, once you start getting some skills the combo system really takes off. Like using the 2K's low stance dodge upgrade to trigger an attack boost, then switching the mid and using the rushing blender to get behind an enemy before starting the kick->quadslash into Final Attack. I really wish there were more quickslots for items, though.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

It's been a while since I've played Bloodborne, but I think the big change between Stamina and Ki is that running out of Stamina only punishes you until you get enough to roll out of danger. Running out of Ki stops you in place for a few seconds and invites an enemy to take away half your life bar. So while Nioh gives you better ways to keep your Ki up, running out is penalized much more harshly.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I've about to start the 4th region and I haven't touched co-op at all, but when I do I think I'm going to go heavy into the role of an Onmyo mage. Just cast Oasis and debuffs during bosses and then spam the Purification emote while the host clowns on a crippled target.

Anyone using Dual Katanas able to say if the Whirlwind move is worth giving up the standing blender attack? One's better for crowd control but I can't see that being more useful than quickly stacking thousands of damage on a single target. Maybe the wind effect is good for samurai duels? idk

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Bombadilillo posted:

Is there a numerical breakdown of how much this helps? spirit or magic scaling are definitely common. It feels like to compensate for someone not running heavy armor. If 21 is decent defense it might help my ninja.

I don't have a breakdown but I'll say that the light armor that has "scales with Spirit/Magic" are staples to my outfit. They allow me to keep my weight low and offer better defense than medium armor around the same level. I play around with the set builds but running around wearing the same Warrior of the West armor as every other Revenant isn't too fun. My Spirit is around 17 at level 69 and C scaling more than eclipses the difference between light and medium armor. There are accessories that can scale with Spirit and Magic, too. One of those will add ~30 to my total defense.

Deified Data posted:

I think Umi-Bozu killed me for than Muneshige.

Half falling in the hole Old Iron King-style, half his insta-kill laser deciding to fire instantly without a tell.

That fire mask item was all it took for me to beat Umi-Bozu. That and some equipment that boosts the item's damage by 30-odd percent. When I go back for the title earned by defeating him without lighting any of the fire, that's what I'm going to do. Hopefully the adds don't get to bad (do they keep respawning or is there a point where the little blobs stop?)

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 13, 2017

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

HellCopter posted:

Do all guardians have their own unique pokemon attacks? Or do they just dart forward like Kato and Raiken?

Zaphod42 posted:

They mostly just dart forward, but what they do when they connect changes depending upon the pokemon. And I think a few behave a little different.

The bat flies in a straight line and hits any enemy it flies through, while I'm pretty sure the twin puppers just connect with the first target they hit (but then they combo into that opponent a few times)

To add my knowledge to this, the fire rat leaves three explosives on the ground around you, the spider jumps forward and leaves webbing that slows in a few globs, the tiger seems to hit the first enemy it touches in an explosive combo, and the butterflies come out in a ~90 degree arc.

Zaphod42 posted:

E: Needs purple 'spider's leg husk' crafting material for EACH you make. Probably drops from spider nest castle boss.

Yeah, the dual katanas with the fire bonus requires it also, and it was the one boss drop I didn't have on hand. I know I missed maybe four pieces of the tea set in that stage, but if I go farming for legs I'm doing it as a co-op helper.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CJacobs posted:

I started a new save wherein I specialize in big chunky weapons and Nue is kicking my rear end to the goddamn curb whereas it gave me no trouble and I beat it on my first try on my original file. How do I beat this thing as a slow chufty smackdown man?

High triangle. Do it once, move away, do it again.

I mean the real advice is leverage the other tools at your disposal like Sloth magic but if you're looking to handicap yourself with only axes then yeah, high triangle.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Onmyo mages are a really good example of a magic type enemy done well for this type of game. It doesn't spam magic missiles at you, it buffs itself and maybe drops an add. There's a submission in the third region where there's several sets of mages, each summoning a large Yokai. Easy pickings for range, but once you kill one the Yokai is summoned and let me tell you: trying to kill what should be a squishy wizard while a giant tongue demon is breathing down your neck is a tough lesson in adaptive tactics. My surprise when the mage was suddenly covered in super armor and was taking 20-30 damage a hit was audible.

Another shout-out to the dual katanas standing blender attack for the main mission on that stage. It obliterates the crystals and made the optional sub-boss much more manageable.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah and that's why most games have at least some kinda general class restrictions. When pvp comes out we'll see what happens.

I mean the game also lets you turn yourself into a zombie and then your armor doesn't even change your appearance at all.

I imagine for the pvp mode they'll just disallow illusions temporarily. Or maybe they'll just say 'gently caress it' and let people go hog wild.

Wait, the tea shop glamors change the armor, too? I just want to roll around with Hanzo's hair, not his ninja garb.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

I was also thinking that when I try again tomorrow I should probably just not lock on in that phase.

Do you have any of the fire mask items? I found them very helpful. One use took off about 1/4 of its bar.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I beat the game over the weekend then tried to catch up with this thread. I really hope that PvP is a fighting game like Bushido Blade. Make the transformations into different stat spreads at lvl 100, let you customize your moveset and item shortcuts if the selected character has options, and make the arenas like the Dojo. Like, Hanzo could have a heavy Ninjitsu set and light armor while Honda has a deep Spear moveset and heavy armor, negate armor and weapon bonuses and make it a best out of 5 competition. It'd be the easiest way to manage the metagame or min-maxing builds and I think that would best compliment the already great human duels in the game.

Okay, have some videos demonstrating why I love dual katanas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2lByXqH2hw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATpBZw6rpbs

I'm not sure how difficult this last guy can be, because I aced him without being hit and I don't want to go back through that stage again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YSad2TY0c4

I think you'll notice a pattern in my Cuisinart style. I need to switch out the useless shurikens from my quick items and put the Carnage talisman in.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Emron posted:

Quick question for the thread: what's your favorite stance for dual katanas, and why is it low stance?

Low stance is great for moving around and starting the skill combo, but if you don't fully appreciate high stance I'm going to have to refer you to the videos I posted above.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I beat all of NG without respeccing and I still haven't. I've had enough Sam points to get everything I use out of Dual Katanas, all of the Master skills, and a handful of Katana skills. Beating the weapon type dojo battles with a weapon I never put a point into (spears, axes) was kind of embarrassing for the challenger, but I don't feel that my stats ever made a battle harder in a way that reallocating my points would fix. That said, being able to play around with the expanded move sets from other weapons is the only incentive for me to respec.

On a related note, are any of the hairs farmable? Do they repopulate in stages in replays?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

They replaced it with a skill tree

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Don't the items that give you aminta, the spirit stones, fill up your Yokai Shift guage? I wonder if that's augmented by Dark Realms. I don't like that the visual indicator for when Yokai Shift is ready is a little ambiguous and I've died a few times trying to trigger it when it wasn't ready.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I wish I had a winning strategy for the snake boss, but I know that I got incredibly lucky. I played a lot of keep away and used 8 elixirs and 2 regeneration talismans and still scraped by with a sliver of health. The biggest boon I received, and I'm not sure what caused this, but he didn't trigger the Dark Realm until he was at less than 10% health. He had both his snake arms for the second half of the fight; I didn't know I could cut them off so maybe I did and it took him a minute to regen one. I'm not looking forward to having to replicate my "success" but it only took me around 8 tries so it wasn't too bad.

I feel like it should be said that since you now gain skill levels in magic and ninjitsu, you really should be spamming those abilities while exploring. I've died a lot with a pack full of shurikens and talismans and it's just exp left on the table. I don't yet know if they've nerfed the Sloth Talisman but that was a game changer in Nioh so I'm trying to get over there now.

Also Yokai abilities like the tengu or the hammer guy get you off the ground, which is useful if you know someone's about to hit you with a sweep or a thrust. It always stings when I die and I have a full yokai bar or whatever it's called. There are so many tools in this game it's hard to remember to use them, especially coming off of Sekiro where your ninja tools had kind of niche uses and you only had three at a time to deal with.

I'm currently stuck in the first Twilight Mission, but I recently made some headway so I'll eventually break through it. I would like more items to be available from the shrine, things like Summoner's Candles in particular, but being able to buy elixirs is a decent compromise.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

edit: double post due to radium

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 5, 2019

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I think I’ve done everything there is to do in the beta. I did several dozen times during the twilight mission but once I made it to the boss I was able to beat it in one shot. I brought in a blue phantom so it’s not quite the accomplishment, but I still was expecting to eat poo poo a few times. I was using the switchglaive on a lark and wound up just tearing through him. Then I tried the duel and was having a lot of trouble until I switched to the odachi; that thing just tore through the guy’s ki and I did three or four final moves on him throughout the fight. Nioh 2 was pretty much a shoo in for me to like since I enjoyed and beat the first game, but these betas really whet the appetite

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

lets hang out posted:

fwiw I got like 8k magic exp just in the last mission of the second region by using element buffs against every single big yokai I met, so you can probably grind it out pretty quickly if you want to. The projectile spells might be faster, I dunno.

I am fairly confident that weapon, magic and ninja exp is at least indirectly tied to damage dealt with each school of proficiency. So enchanting weapons gives you more exp because you’ll be doing more damage. Maybe there’s a breakpoint where using a *ball is more efficient but I don’t really know

One of my favorite parts in Nioh 1 was getting to the endgame and equipping a weapon type I completely neglected. You wind up getting buckets of proficiency points because you’re doing huge damage. The amount of proficiency needed for those first levels is scaled to early weapons. Made good imagery of William killing his way through Japan only to finally get enough confidence to use the sickle and chain, then immediately becoming a master after whacking a few mooks.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

In Nioh 1 I basically went through the whole game with dual swords, sloth and, uh, defense down? talismans. It was great and there were some bosses that I absolutely massacred with my Cuisinart-style. Kind of surprised that I haven’t seen more posts about the dual swords, but it’s hard to compete with shiny new toys like tonfas and the scythe.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Phantom Burst is a parry, plain and simple. You need to activate it the moment the enemy’s attack connects, not before, to get the stun. It took me forever to get it in the first tutorial, but it wasn’t so bad for the first mission.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I’m trying to focus on the switchglaive exclusively for at least the first realm, but upgrades are nearly non-existent. I scored a blue Vermillion Scythe off a revenant and that’s it. I’m drowning in katanas, just give me my trick weapon!

Beat the forge boss on my second try although it was extremely dicey at the end. Down to a sliver of health with no elixirs and I decided to chance it with a Feral Burst into the tornado. Worked though. Now I’m left with the chore of grinding out magic skill points so I can finally leverage my 18 points in Magic.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The Ki gains from Flux aren’t affected by the dark realm so don’t neglect backing off and doing a quick low stance attack just to flux and gain a bit of extra ki.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Weakness and Sloth were all I needed in Nioh 1 to complete crack the game open.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YSad2TY0c4

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I have a question about the cutscene that plays after the snake boss. It starts with someone calling themselves Mumya or something, who has a kid with a yokai, but that person is Dosan so is Dosan your father? And the woman with the switchglaive is called Mumya? I’m still cleaning up missions in the first region so if everything is clarified once I change regions ignore me.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I dipped a toe into Odachi and while I agree that it’s powerful the skill tree and moves look so boring. I need a little more pizzazz to keep me hooked.

That snake boss yokai ability is no joke. I haven’t removed it from triangle since I got it, no matter what guardian spirit in rolling with. It’s such a good panic button or room clearer that I can’t imagine anything being more attractive for the cost.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Anytime I get over 400 items I just lock a few things with set bonuses and dismantle the rest. I offered them one and got 999 divine rice which is over kill because there’s not enough to spend it on.

I just started region 3. When do I start getting the stages that are just duels?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

How do you deactivate Yokai Shift?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

That’s a good point about the different moves in the Dark Realm. I hadn’t made that connection.

I just beat Gyuki by summoning an acolyte the distracts him whole I kept applying Protection talismans and unloading pretty much everything that did damage. He seems really weak to fire and that giant bomb was helpful chewing through his ki. I keep trying new weapons and the sickle and chain probably want the best choice. Gotta grind those mastery points though.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Just the three elements, I believe. So you can enchant a weapon (or use one that imbues an element naturally) for one and shots or feathers for the other. Fire is easy enough to apply with ninja tools.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I just realized that the Gyuki fight wiped out my elixir surplus. I wish I could just buy them from the blacksmith instead of offering to a bunch of items and going for gifts.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

When do the weapon mastery missions unlock? I have a side mission that’s locked until I beat the dual swords mastery one. Is it linked to proficiency levels?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Seedge posted:

I just wanted to ask a quick, dumb question, as I reach the fourth area: there isn't a flashlight button, is there? Well, a torch, or lantern, or anything at all to make it easier to see when it's dark?

Not that I’ve found. I wish there was though

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

The newest Dunky video is of Nioh 2 and I wanted to tear my hair out watching him not even try to Ki Pulse for 11 minutes of clips. It’s either determination towards a character or he’s just that bad at games.

And no I don’t know why I still watch his stuff.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I’ve been cycling through most of seasons for each chapter and now that I’m using the tonfas I think I’m in love. They’re what I used in the beta and I knew I’d like them here, so I tried putting them off as long as possible. Now I have to put them down and try the axe or hatchets.

I haven’t used a katana at all, and I think it’s very funny in cutscenes that my character is using a weapon they know almost nothing about instead of the awesome switchblade or dual swords or something they’ve practiced with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

CharlestonJew posted:

I think the earliest you can find some to kill is in the mission with the Ryomen Sukuna boss. There's 3 in the underground cave near the yokai-buffing red and blue crystals

Yeah, I wish I had known about the requirement because it would have been easy to farm them while I was in that stage. Now I’m contemplating running through it again just to flip that switch. It doesn’t help that those mages don’t show up under the list of titles so I can’t check to see how many I’ve already killed