Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
Only less than 2 days. I just pre ordered the Digital Deluxe edition this morning and started downloading. I never expected to be this excited and impatient for a new game release until playing the Last Chance Trial, but here I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Genocyber posted:

So apparently this is the kind of thing you can expect in ng+ (boss spoilers).

http://i.imgur.com/IcBTbft.jpg
Just looking at that gave me flashbacks to certain challenges in Ninja Gaiden Black Mission Mode.

And I am so ready to take on that challenge once I get there.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Bombadilillo posted:

Welp. Snow day. Kids home. I'm home. And I'm staring at a timer at 8 hours 33 minutes. Couldn't come tomorrow snow?
I am thinking largely the same. Though because I have an early morning job that leaves my afternoon open, I would've rather this happened Wednesday so that my classes then would be canceled.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Leave until the last 24 hours before Team Ninja decides to give all the details on the DLC and update. I don't think I've ever gotten this crazy excited just from reading patch notes but for this game it sure did.

Seriously, with how good this game was at launch, so many of these other improvements would've been saved for the sequel if this was done by some other developer. Nioh's looking more and more like a game built to last I feel like, and if they can do this stuff repeatedly for the next 2 DLCs then oh man.

Darth Walrus posted:

Incidentally, what is that 'default' outfit that William wears in the gallery and elsewhere? The black and red one?
I think it's the Unusual Armor set. The description states near the end that "the look suits William well" and the color scheme does match up (the massive pauldron on the left shoulder is the big indicator).

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

I absolutely appreciate that Team Ninja is making it so that roughly half of the total weapons in the game will be carry overs from Ninja Gaiden II (Katana, Dual Swords, Kusari-Gama, and now Tonfa). That game's arsenal is one of the absolute best in character action games.

I'll admit, I was thinking Ninja claws or something like an extension of bare handed would be next, but this is even better. If they're sufficiently fast enough, I might have something to get me to swap out dual swords for this.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

"Path of the Enlightenment?" If this mode comes with a higher equipment level cap and +modifiers then that will make it worth it. Way of the Demon became more enjoyable for me than I expected compared to Way of the Strong because the increase in loot levels helped keep the difficulty feeling manageable as i went along (except for Dragon of the North and the free post-patch missions). Though I hope they do something else unique with the enemies besides "have more buffs on top of your buffs."

Also this caught my attention regarding the Tonfa:

quote:

When a certain Tonfa skill is learned, William can do a special step when doing Ki Pulse, which as fewer gap than an ordinary Ki Pulse, allowing William to maintain close distance against his enemy.
If this is also going to include specific follow up attacks out of this special step, then this makes it sound like they're giving this version a form of "Heavenly Justice" from Ninja Gaiden II's Tonfa. For context, in NGII Heavenly Justice was a move that allowed you to cancel out of any ground combo into a dash with i-frames, and you could then use a contextual attack coming out of it or block cancel/dash again to start another ground combo chain. I somehow doubted they'd use that concept again since Ki Pulsing into a dash seemed like enough of a universal replacement, but this sounds like they're making sure this weapon has another trick to it besides rapid ki damage.

Either way, Tonfa hype!

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

So some thoughts overall about the DLC content + new difficulty after playing for several hours straight today.

- New levels are just as intricate and well designed as DLC 1, and because the time this takes place in is winter, some old stages return with snow added, which is a nice touch.
- The new boss fights in this DLC are the raddest poo poo Team Ninja has put together for this game yet. Date and Maria were already pretty over the top in Dragon of the North, but Sasuke and Sanada one up them super loving hard. Sasuke in particular, when fighting against him with Tonfa, feels the closest to this game engine replicating a Ninja Gaiden boss fight, in terms of speed and fluidity.
- Tonfa are fantastic and they all but replace the Dual Swords for me. Reason I still whip out those two blades is that Tonfa don't have a proper parry attack with grapple animation. But Demon Dance (the short range dash that occurs when you Ki Pulse) is amazing and allows for some fun mix ups and combos. Plus the impact sounds.
- Only negative thing I can say about the new content is the lack of new distinct enemies. The only one that isn't a reskin of an existing one is the ninja dogs/fox spirits. Both function the same, though the former throws shuriken and the latter shoots fireballs. Both are fast, though. But everything else, not that different from what we've already fought in the rest of the game.
- Way of the Wise difficulty retains the random, super buffed enemies from Way of the Demon, but now the enemies are actually remixed with some DLC enemies showing up in the main game. Also they hit harder, as you'd expect, but if you had all +15 Divine Gear going into this with affixes that work well in tandem, it's not a slog to get through based on the early game missions I replayed. And there is a new tier of rarity, "Ethereal", but it doesn't replace Divine in terms of drop rate. I only came across one armor piece that was Ethereal, and everything else was Divine of a higher level. So it's gonna be important to keep improving your Divine Gear while also looking out for anything Ethereal and hold onto it, because some of the new skills and set bonuses added to them are something else.
- New level cap for Guardian Spirits, and the character level cap has been raised as well. Don't know how high yet, but I've already seen a couple revenants that passed level 400.

In short, Nioh continues to be the best goddamn game of 2017, and this new DLC continues to back up that claim. Can't wait for DLC 3, and will keep chipping away at WOTW in the interim.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

I still need to get deeper into the Abyss since I only did the first floor last night after the update went live. I already spent this morning and afternoon blazing through the new DLC missions, and my god is that a good way to cap off the Season Pass content. Like all of it is good so if you haven't bought it, get all three pieces of content. But I had the most fun with Bloodshed's End because of how much the main missions escalated one after the other, and that it throws in a lot of opportunities to fight alongside former bosses. Also the bonus Hayabusa boss fight is the best of those type of Ninja fights and people that are huge NG fans will get a kick out of what's in there. You can even learn the Izuna Drop if you get him to drop the technique scroll.

Yes. You can Izuna Drop motherfuckers in this game now. As if this game was not already the best thing this entire year.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

poptart_fairy posted:

Hayabusa set isn't kidding about unlimited shuriken causing minimal damage - 4k damage dropped to 10, hahaha. Still tempted to go for the full 7 piece regardless. Assume the music in his fight is from Ninja Gaiden as well?
Yep, specifically Ninja Gaiden II, the boss theme that plays when you fight Genshin.

There is also a little fanfare that plays when you beat him that I didn't recognize, but I'm guessing it's something from the original NES trilogy.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Really, the biggest issue I see already with this port is they missed their opportunity to call it Nioh Black.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Pwnstar posted:

The blob monster boss owns, I walked into the arena and instantly died to his first attack. He was really annoying until I figured out his weakness.

How much should I be switching stances, I'm using a single sword and it seems like Mid Stance is just inherently the best for just about every situation?
If you're accustomed to ki pulsing (and buying skills that pertain to that mechanic), even if you prefer one style over the others you should be changing stances regardless just to take advantage of Ki Flux. It'll get back more ki than you normally would by just timing a regular ki pulse.

Some do prefer certain stances over others since it fits certain playstyles more (I know I stick with low stance more than the other two), but they all have their inherent values that you should be switching between all of them regardless. Even if it's to briefly use a high stance attack to finish a guy off, or low stance just to have an easier time dodging back and away.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Omi no Kami posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with the youkai that move like bloodborne dogs, the ones that alternate between slow two-legged movement and hustling around on all fours? It seems like they have certain states while on all fours where they're in permanent i-frame; I've been standing directly next to one while locked on, eaten through my entire ki bar whiffing, then had them command grab and kill me; is the lesson I'm supposed to be taking away from this just "Don't go near youkai when they're on all fours"?

I'm also a little indecisive when it comes to spending prestige; since I'm still levelling, is there any reason not to just splurge on luck/item drop rate, then come back when I'm big and beefy, eat a koan manual, and reinvest those points into combat stuff?
Use attacks that hit low or downward. You can hit them when they're on all fours, just not if you're sticking to regular mid stance attacks or the like. It's still good to bait them into doing their grab move, because of the two one of them leaves them open for a down stab attack.

As for prestige, you can't just splurge all on a single perk or two because the list cycle in a way that prevent it. It's kinda hard to explain how, but you can settle on five out of eight perks at a minimum (for both Agyo and Ungyo separately) that can cover multiple categories like combat, luck, drop rates and so on. Admittedly luck is the most useful if you want to try farming for smithing texts in the end game, but I wouldn't advise that if you aren't big on that sort of tedium. Still, I'd say just start investing in the perks that you want right now, I've rarely been in a situation where I felt I needed to use a Koan Manual to respec.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I refuse to believe anyone can avoid getting lost in Iga Mansion. Especially that little bit near the boss.
Try Sawayama. The one level the devs openly admitted to designing as a big "gently caress you" maze.

The Iga Escape I at least caught onto quickly since of course that gimmick would be there in a place filled with ninjas.