Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You say the performance is bad but it easily averages twice ds3's ps4 framerate even in movie mode.

Anyway low stance is pretty dece for dealing with groups because you reload stamina when dodging so you can get in and out without worrying too much about it.

E: You can put yourself into matchmaking to be summoned after you finish the first stage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can parry barehanded and it's awesome

https://a.pomf.cat/dqzbor.webm

More hot tips:

Weapons don't have weight so don't hesitate to put a big rear end axe or whatever in your second slot.

Make sure you buy the combo finisher moves, some of them are really good, like the high stance spear one automatically reloads your stamina when you do it.

Shoot dudes in the face with arrows it does so much damage.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

NPC bloodstains seem to have a pretty good chance of exploding into loot like pinatas when you beat them so they're worth giving a shot. I found Kou Shibusawa in a cave near the end of the first stage but I couldn't beat him.

Btw I think there might be more playable characters in the full game because on the stage select screen it says WILLIAM with a picture of the dude on the side as though you'd need to be aware of who you're playing as for that stage.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I'm looking forward to getting off work so I can continue clawing my way through stage 2. Every inch forward is a huge struggle for me, it's really satisfying.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's a real stage 2 after you beat the boss of stage 1, though I've seen people say it's a lot shorter.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/181161-nioh/73652896

Explains all the mechanics really well

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Throw a couple of points into whatever they're calling magic and get the charms that increase stamina regen and slow enemies, they're super good

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

8-Bit Scholar posted:

My damage output on the boat boss is loving garbage. Am I not supposed to be facing him? He's the first boss I've found. He was a lot cuter in Shin Megami Tensei!!!

use high stance if you're not, the difference in damage is huge

the slow spell works on him too

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I...I don't have any spells...

only take you like 2 points in the stat to get it, probably

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

or just summon someone. i've been helping hosts smoke the hell out of that guy

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

8-Bit Scholar posted:

gently caress my rear end the stamina system in this game just doesn't let up.

Is there a trick here? Somebody mentioned hitting R1 and I seem to be able to like...briefly restore stamina before losing it again? What the heck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXOu1wG70_k&t=108s

1:45 if the timecode doesn't work

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

I beat level one and got the mysterious dlc
Is there one for level 2?

No, but you do get a sweet lightning sword to play around with in the demo.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I think you can maybe shoot Nue in the mouth with arrows while its shooting its laser and it gets KO'd, at least that seems to be what hosts keep doing to it. Maybe?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can't actually carry more than 10 elixirs, it would just stop giving you them if you were selling things to the shrine.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

For anything that I can't reliably stagger I usually don't wait to do the full pulse, I just reset right after the attack so I can get back to blocking or backdash out of there. Been a big difference for not eating attacks from yokai over and over.

ExCruceLeo posted:

Is there a level cap in the demo?

I'm level 35 or something and it hasn't stopped me yet. Still matchmaking with people who are seemingly on their first run of the stages too, not that I have any way to confirm that.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 28, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You can do that by breaking their uh, well it's not stamina but I don't know what to call it, their second gauge, and any hit will make them flinch until they recover. That damage was bananas though. Guess he doesn't like water.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

And it turns out just slapping Nue in the face with anything while it's shooting its mouth laser is enough to instantly break that gauge for a bunch of free hits.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Snak posted:

I think it's loving hilarious that this is based of a historical person. Like, really?

It's a very Koei thing to do

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

If you only move the stick a little while locked on you stay facing your target. Obv no help against big groups but hey

If regular enemies are hitting you for huge amounts of hp check your armor, it really does make a difference. Like not even the big cyclopses can kill me in 2 hits (it's 3).

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 29, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Try as I might I just can't keep any hosts alive through stage 1 :negative:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

There's a weird thing where sometimes when I get summoned and first meet up with the host my spirit animal flies into them. Anyone used summons enough to know what's happening there?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

seems to be some combined status effect when you get an enemy with freezing (like from a water weapon) and burning status at the same time. neat

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i don't think you really need to gear up for stage 2, i made a second character and went through all of it with equipment from stage 1 except swapping out for better swords as i found them, but it was like one trip so it's not like i was grinding. mostly because all of the ronin stuff i was finding in stage 2 seemed to be worse than what i got from developer ghosts in stage 1, like the defense modifier (???) went up but the actual defense numbers vs. break and vs. lightning were lower so i just didn't use any of it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

when nue hunkers down and shakes himself like a wet dog you're about to get hit by lightning from the sky. 4 bolts, you can dodge them by just running around or hiding under the awnings at the front and back of the arena. when he starts charging his mouth laser run to his right side and hit him to KO him for tons of free damage, also a good time to use your living weapon. if you have 3 or so flame shuriken throw them all of them at his face at the very start and you'll probably set him on fire, which is pretty tough to do otherwise.

Harrow posted:

What's everyone's favorite guardian spirit? Do they have different Living Weapon effects?

I've been rolling with the cool bird dude who makes your evasion take less ki mostly because of its magnificent plumage.

lightning pup is my fav but he's bad for stage 2 so i use hot fox instead

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 1, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lightning slows down enemies movements by a lot, i'm not really sure what ice does even though I've seen it go off a bunch of times. combining any two gets you a third status effect that's just like long duration guard break, it's really good

also status effects just get applied per hit, so low stance is the best way to set someone on fire or w/e real quick

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 1, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

i'm confused about level 2's second shrine. do i have to kill everything in that room to use it? i got there and there were a ton of huge dudes in there and the shrine was not interactive i guess because of their proximity?

you just need to kill the statue guys right next to it

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Harrow posted:

Is there a particular element that the bosses are each weak to? I have Fire and Water talisman but I might as well use these onmyo skill points for something if it's worth it.

Also I find the axe oni on the roof in the latter part of the first area to be literally impossible. Holy poo poo I get hit once and I might as well just put the controller down. What's extra frustrating is how many guys I have to kill again and again to get back to him, and I'm out of arrows.

Takes only 2 or 3 firebombs to kill him

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

if you're having trouble dodging his balls which definitely do have some wonky huge hitboxes take off all your armor so you get way longer rolls

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

just assume you're not going to be able to iframe through his balls, dodge away from them. when he's swinging them overhead one at a time dodge in the opposite direction from the side he's swinging from. get one maybe two hits and then block his turn around swings, take your time. like with all yokai, overcommitting is death

don't try to get the full ki pulse, mash R1 as soon as your attack finishes so that you can move again as quickly as possible

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 1, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You could always summon. i'm matchmaking on stage 1 right now

just don't be one of the hosts who gets murdered by the boss's very first attack :negative:

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 2, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

nue is probably easier once you figure out what's happening. nothing as wonky as the balls the first boss throws. nue is fun to fight

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i had the hardest time with spears. i hate the flippy flourish they do in high stance when you reset

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

yes. there's no indicator which is which aside from level and played time though

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

using low stance is the only time i've ever had durability problems because it takes like 10 times as many hits to kill anything haha

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Isn't there a katana skill that explicitly says it gives you ki back for stance switching

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Anatharon posted:

Few questions. What's the timing for Flashing Heaven? The only finisher I can pull off is Kick. :v:

I've managed to get the timing for Haze and Water Shadow down and it's SO SATISFYING to do that. Which parry is the one that lets you grab a sword to stab a guy when barehanded, though? The timing one, square one, or triangle one?

Is there any real difference in the elemental damage for the demo? Only difference seems to be Lightning paralyzes and Fire has a DoT so water's pretty lame. I do like the minimap icons for Sense Enemies in new areas, though. It's saved a lot of time.

You need to set it in the moves list in place of kick.

I think both buttons do the same barehanded parry

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I really want this game to come out

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Oh poo poo it's tomorrow hell yes

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

its up for basically everywhere not north america. 4.358 GB

mashing through your stamina doesn't leave you wheezing it just prevents you from attacking. if someone empties your stamina by hitting you (guarding or otherwise) you do still get stunned.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

blocking heavy attacks costs a lot more stamina now. like the first boss's ball spin will eat your entire gauge