Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's just being realistic regarding the quality of actual Japanese weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What gets unlocked for finishing the demo and is it worth it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Seems weird devs actually taking player feedback into account before they even release the full game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

its shocking to see open betas actually used as betas

I guess everything has been nudged up one, beta=demo, alpha=beta

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I want Surge to be good but Lords of the Fallen was so loving bad. Also it appears to be more standard robots and stuff rather than the biomechanical monstrosities I'd expect from, uh, FROM doing a sci-fi thing.
Watching the video again it still has my main complaint from LotF, in that everything seems so slow and it looks way harder than it should be to avoid attacks, like it was designed by people who though sword+board heavy armour was the best way to play Souls. Which I guess people do.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 17, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I cheesed every single one of those with arrows, at least they only crop up in one optional area (that I can remember)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah pretty much all other consoles are a big pain to swap out. The PS4 though, man, I love it.

I think the PS4 is also like the only console that lets you swap out the HDD without voiding the warranty? Great stuff. Sony nailed it.

PS3 too, its possibly even easier than PS4, apart from the very real possibility of stripping the caddy screws, since you just pop open a flap at the bottom rather than having to take off the whole side cover.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

J.A.B.C. posted:

Interesting bit of history:

In 1600, there actually was a William in Japan. William Adams was an Englishman working with the Dutch East India Trading Company, who came in on the only boat from the five-ship expedition to make it. They landed in Usuki, got called pirates by a Jesuit priest and got tossed in Osaka Castle. He was questioned by Tokugawa, and ended up getting on his good side to stop the execution. After that he stayed in Japan while the other survivors left to open up trade, becoming Ieyasu's trade advisor and a full fledged Samurai under the name Miura Anjin. Also, he ended up getting the Jesuits kicked out of Japan in 1614, inadvertently creating the Christian suppression movement.

So, hey, good threads there, Team Ninja.

The novel Shogun is loosely based on this in fact

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I pick up shiny things because they're shiny I don't really care what they end up being

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like Shogun but Clavell's opinions on Japanese culture of the era were coloured by his time in a POW camp and should not be taken as gospel

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Belzac posted:

SCEA has a stupid policy about not allowing game discs being produced for games without English VA. Since this game is intentionally half in english and half in japanese I don't know if it triggers this rule or not but it wouldn't be the first time KT publishes a game digital only.

That hasn't been a thing since PS2 days, every KT Warriors game apart from Dynasty has no English VA and gets a disc. Also all the Yakuza games since the first one (5 was digital only though)etc.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They all got discs here so that's entirely on the US branch I guess, but that's way more KT's decision and not wanting to risk physical copies of niche titles rather than any kind of Sony mandate.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yakuza 3 was released on a disc in the US with Japanese only language track in 2010, as were 4 and Dead Souls a few years later, so :shrug:

It's possible they had special dispensations for some publishers, though I don't know if Sega would have had much clout by that point, and I know they used to do it at some point, hence the atrocious amateur dubs in things like Chaos Wars.

Anyway, there's zero chance of it affecting Nioh these days.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad they didn't put actual content behind something that impossible for me to get now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same, I just wanna beat it using R1 spam like I did in all the Souls games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

His English is actually pretty decent. especially compared to a lot of a Japanese English voice acting, which is mostly 'here's a script just read it, no one cares how the words are actually supposed to be pronounced'.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Everything I've seen of Nioh makes it seem to be the exact opposite of Dark Souls in that regard, everything is explained or tutorialised somewhere.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jose posted:

why is this out a day later in the UK what bullshit

I've literally never heard of a Wednesday release before and I've no idea what's going on.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did they get rid of the broken slow down spell for Nioh 2 or can I just not find it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool, any other good broken combinations in 2? I've literally only just finished the first mission and side mission lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Breaking the game is doing Nioh 'legit', standing toe to toe and blocking/dodging everything like a Souls game is the worst way to play it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but you have to be good at the game to do that so eh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes but I trust them about as much as I trusted the ones in Sekiro lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What are these blue 'online' quests?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there usually a quicker way to end boss shadow realm phases or do you just have to deal with it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

gently caress that bull spider boss and Magoichi Saika for good measure too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nothing says Honnouji Incident like a big boobed cat girl on wheels.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Any stages with a double boss seems to be my nemesis, just spent like two hours beating the boar guy after not faring much better against the spear guy before, who I only beat by expending a bunch of other non-elixir healing items to outlast him.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Brute has been easier to connect for me but I always seemed to get hit and lose some health no matter what. Feral tales a bit of timing but has been more consistent. Haven't tried phantom lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought like 999 arrows and rifle rounds so I'd never run out

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

My only actual tip, since you don't have a lot of options at that point, is to try and kill the snake arms as quickly as possible so you dont have to deal with them being autonomous when it goes into dark realm mode.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I went back to do the Viper Pit again because I missed a kodama and wanted the 'kill the boss without destroying the snake statues' trophy and he was still a pain almost 100 levels later lol

Like I didn't die or anything he's just annoying.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't believe the dung guy died after I fed him all my balls

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Huh doing all the non-DLC missions in 2 was pretty easy compared to the poo poo 1 put you through to do that.

Fitting that I left fighting boar guy again until last....

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hope whoever designed the grab on mysterious warrior monk is miserable for the rest of their lives

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Me after spending two hours trying to kill Benkei now the game wants us to be friends

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is the gong for getting Benkei to help you in that section a bit wonky or can you only hit it after a certain point in the fight?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

God drat this loving demon slayer lady at the start of the second DLC

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well that's it, after a couple of hours of attempts where I got her health to the point where she transformed maybe 1 in 15 times and then never surviving more that two seconds after that, I decided to try and get better gear from NG+. I cleaned out the first stage and it was all miles worse than what I already had, also I somehow didn't expect to have to beat the whole difficulty again to get Divine stuff to start dropping.
I hate grinding poo poo I've already done, time to play something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guess I must just have been unlucky and not a single piece dropped then lol