Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Am becoming hype for this. I told myself I wasn't buying a PS4 just for Bloodborne by praying that this game would be good, and looking at the progress they've made across the 3 demos it looks like it will be :) I'll probably wait until that weekend to actually buy in case it somehow sucks and any day 1 bugs can be squashed, then start the download before I go to bed on Friday and watch the next 2 days disappear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Watching Lobos Jr's playthrough of the last demo and noticed that you get a little graphical indicator around the stance wheel to show when a weapon buff will run out. It's always bugged me in Souls games that you just have to guess how long you really have. Hoping the game will be filled with other nice quality-of-life refinements like this. It's about 3:37:00 into his video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rizQUChpyHU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

I've seen 30 and 40 hours but gamespot says they're at 40 and still haven't finished so I guess it comes down to how much time you spend dying and/or loving around in co-op and side missions.

Do we know yet if the twilight levels are plot-necessary or if they're optional challenges for mad loots?

At first I was skeptical about the idea of rotating twilight levels, but someone mentioned that it would encourage co-op because everyone is going to want to blast through those stages ASAP. So I'm imagining playing through the main campaign solo but partying up for the challenge levels to help farm sweet drops and augment your solo-run gear. Making them the same levels with enhanced enemies seems like it nicely splits the balance between wanting to experience content for the first time alone, but also seeking out extra difficulty for more rewards.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, once you know where all the gear is and how the damage mechanics work a Soul Level 1 run isn't actually that bad. Since you're not leveling up you have cash to buy all the titanite and keep every piece of gear you own maxed out (I still love you +10 Balder Shield). O+S was really the only fight that really gave me trouble. I got so good at dodging Manus' ground pound bullshit :)

I didn't get to play any of the demos, but I'm anticipating this to play closer to Bloodborne or God Hand than Dark Souls, with more emphasis on reaction dodging and enemy punishing instead of being able to turtle and wait for chances to attack.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And, just because if you're not already familiar with the game it isn't obvious visually, you can totally block the balls when he does the big spin move. It's weird coming from FROM games, but all weapons in Nioh block 100% physical damage all the time, the only penalty is to your ki.

Once you learn his various wind-ups and tells it's pretty easy to just walk around him in a circle, dodge behind him when he attacks and smack him a few times, then back off and get your ki back.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seems like missions like those they really expected you to stack your buffs/debuffs. Things that feel OP in regular NG make a lot more sense in NG+.

Also, I just got around behind a secret wall and I guess they're being animated by special talismans. I pulled it off and they just fell over dead. No drops that way though.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

I've played up through the story mission after this one and have definitely noticed a similar problem with grabs in this game, because apparently grab attacks being unbelievable bullshit is a staple of this genre now. The worst offender I've found so far is the second boss instantly snapping from being stunned on the ground to the middle of her grab animation. What the gently caress?

As someone already said, that instagrab is bat lady's wakeup move, so the hard counter is to not stand next to her when she wakes up :v:

As for Elise, her rushing stab grapple was eating my lunch at first until the Discord thread told me that its tell includes her flipping her halberd 3 times, THEN she yells and does the dash. Once you learn to connect the weapon flips with the grab it gets, well, still not easy to dodge, but certainly a lot more fair-feeling than before.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Definitely one of the easier boss fights. She's not that aggressive and her giant glowing weakpoint butt is easy to hit to keep her drained of stamina. I enjoyed abusing the spear flip-up-behind-them move a lot on her.

Alan Smithee posted:

Can any ninja class people comment on the usefulness of caltrops? They seem like such a specific situation. Wondering if they could work on bosses

They're basically an instant Lightning proc on potentially a group of enemies. They're less powerful than Sloth or even an actual elemental debuff, but they're also must easier to inflict. I keep them on my 2nd hotbar and throw them out whenever I run into one of those dual-blade ninja Youkai bastards, keeps them from flipping all over the room so I can kick them out of stamina.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 15, 2017

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

I keep forgetting about block. :saddowns:

I'm also kind of annoyed there are no female options in the treehouse. There are female NPCs with combat animations already, waaah.

Nobunaga (?) actually has dialogue that addresses this. Something like you can't appear as a woman because the only way to truly know the female form is by smashing.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

limited posted:

Yeah, the infinite Amrita glitch has pretty much killed any PvP plans they have before they even think of releasing it. People will be running around in the heaviest armour, with huge ki bars and doing stupid damage during hour one unless they give everyone base gear / stats.

Since last patch, some of those fiends are pretty pissed when you screw with their music, and won't even let death interrupt their bitchin' solos.

:rock: Rock on.

I just found the Yokai index and am getting a good look at all the models. I never noticed that the guitars are actually playing themselves and the guy behind them is just a corpse :aaa:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really don't like how they just turn everything off when you complete a submission objective. At least there should be a prompt like 'Picking up this item will end the mission, are you sure? Yes No' I just did the one on the beach and didn't realize that the kappa WAS the objective, didn't even get to explore the ship or shoot that one-eyed oni with a cannon :(

On the plus side, I learned that not even ending the mission can stop the rockin':
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/843587763651952640

edit:
Messing around with Twitter video, this is the end of my thoroughly unimpressive Honda win. I was trying to apply Water with my sword but his resist was too high so I switch back to honor dueling him with spears.
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/843626727331024899

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Mar 20, 2017

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KingShiro posted:

My first two attempts at Tadakatsu just ended with me getting instagibbed.

Are you fighting him in the main mission or his solo duel? AFAIK when you first meet him he's being mind controlled by Kelley's crystals so you have to break all of them to end the fight. I guess they were supposed to be giving him some demonic power or something because he's a lot easier to handle in his sub mission compared to his gimmick fight.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KingShiro posted:

Yeah first encounter in the castle yard. I figured that was the gimmick, but having him not kill me is another thing.

I did it by hitting him with Sloth and Devigorate as soon as I walked through the door, then bum rushed the crystals with my strongest weapon.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vandalism posted:

This bat bitch 3rd boss can go to hell. Three hours of trying to kill her now... I suck.

Much later in the game you can have a rematch with her in a sub-mission, but she's like 10x stronger. She was spanking me good until I got gud patient and started just running around her with a spear, baiting out her physical combos.

Protips:
Her physical and umbrella combos can be 2 or 3 hits, so always assume 3.
Her wing-twirl is a pain to dodge, she seems to move forward/track you much more than with her other attacks. Try blocking that one.
Hotbar anti-paralytic needles, I wasn't able to stack enough resist to make a difference in this fight with just armor.
Hit her with kunai/shirken whenever she flys, it does huge ki damage and is your biggest opportunity to punish.

This is a couple of failed attempts and the winning run of that fight, everything shown here should work in the first fight as well. It should be timestamped to the final attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAZf9PdjaaI&t=255s

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SectumSempra posted:

With him in particular the trick is learning how to avoid his charge, when he sheaths the sword he will do a charge move. You should be dodge rolling as it comes out and not as he approaches you and it has some HEAVY tracking, so dodging won't work unless timed spectacularly.

I found more success in dodging towards him through the attack. Since he always swings when you get close it seemed like the timing worked out more often vs trying to dodge to the side or away.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agreed. I'm towards the end of NG and still haven't touched 3 of the weapon types because I wanted a thorough understanding of the entire weapon movesets. Just recently I've been able to see an enemy or boss do something and instantly move to the weapon or stance that best counters or punishes in that moment. That plus learning a set of 5 or 6 ninja/magic toys that you can work into your playstyle can really make you feel like a badass while stomping all over yokai that used to smash you early game.

I don't even slow down on the big ogre cyclopeses anymore, just dodge behind, smack with low stance water sword until the Water status procs, back off and throw 2 bombs to set them on fire and proc Discord, then run in and burn them down in one big combo while they're helplessly stunlocked. Feels good man.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm in the last region (I think) and so far not a single bad boss run was found. Either there's a shrine nearby or you can just run past all the enemies without too much hassle.

The first region honor duel is one of the harder ones in the game, but that may just be because it's the first and you don't have as many tricks in your bag as in later fights. I did beat him before moving on to the 2nd region but it took a while and it wasn't pretty. Now that I pretty well have the moveset for each stance in katana and spear I feel like I could take him on without too much trouble, especially now that all my weapons have elemental attacks. Somebody should post a min/max Discord-focused build, seems like that would be a great bosskiller.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

I think it's one of the "new" ones you take from the Omyo mage. I rage quit in a bit of a huff over that, so I'll double check later. :v:

As in, fighting 3 things at once? I know one of the late-game side missions has 2 birdos before yet another Onryoki, but he didn't spawn until the birds were gone.

This is me running around like a spaz in said side mission, wasting all my toys on the birds because I didn't think there would be anything after them :downs: :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dykWB6fo-fU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

E: I rolled up wind on my man fighting sword and that element really does the business against other humans coupled with yagyu set bonuses.

What does wind do again? I usually start with water to make stacking a second element to proc discord.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think I chose my clan poorly, I don't think we've ever won against red team so I'm not getting anything from the weekly battles? I guess it doesn't really matter unless DLC introduces more stuff to do with Glory.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WaltherFeng posted:

Well for one I hate the buzzing sound lightning makes

Holy poo poo :yeah: If this was on PC this is the first thing I'd mod out, it's just irritating.

So I just discovered why amrita fiends are weak to their own elements; hitting them with their like element charges up the crystals in their bodies and make them glow brighter. If you can overcharge them they just fall over and explode.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Reposting an effort-post I made a few pages ago about a Hino-enma rematch in a later side mission. The fight isn't pretty by any stretch but I think it shows what moves are good to dodge vs block, and why it's always handy to keep those needles on your hotbar during the fight:

Takes No Damage posted:

Much later in the game you can have a rematch with her in a sub-mission, but she's like 10x stronger. She was spanking me good until I got gud patient and started just running around her with a spear, baiting out her physical combos.

Protips:
Her physical and umbrella combos can be 2 or 3 hits, so always assume 3.
Her wing-twirl is a pain to dodge, she seems to move forward/track you much more than with her other attacks. Try blocking that one.
Hotbar anti-paralytic needles, I wasn't able to stack enough resist to make a difference in this fight with just armor.
Hit her with kunai/shirken whenever she flys, it does huge ki damage and is your biggest opportunity to punish.

This is a couple of failed attempts and the winning run of that fight, everything shown here should work in the first fight as well. It should be timestamped to the final attempt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAZf9PdjaaI&t=255s

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
KATANA NOT LONG ENOUGH

SPEAR NOT SHARP ENOUGH

WHAT TO DO ??

I need to get off my rear end and at least finish NG before DLC starts to drop. Do we know yet if it's going to be a separate section or woven into the existing game missions?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

I accidentally figured out how to cheese Nue. Bait their lightning breath attack and quickly run up to the head on their right side, and smack away. Destroys their ki bar and gives you enough time to lay out some serious hurt.

Also I gave up on swords and went back to my spinny chain. Genuinely cannot get enough of this thing.

Slowbeef is/was doing a LP of this game and after getting stuck on Nue for a while that's what he eventually found as well. Through some model or collision hijinks you can clip through his right shoulder and hit his weak point, instantly draining his ki and setting up a big combo.

In fact, here's me finally getting the last onmyo dojo mission where I heavily rely on that strategy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeMjTg-OvBs&t=250s

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Are there healing spells btw?

There is a scroll, I forget if it's ninja or magic, that gives you a few charges of a weaker hot spring-like regen. It probably isn't fast enough to save you in a boss fight but it can be nice to pop it as you explore a level and keep your health topped off while fighting mooks for a few minutes. I do remember it's locked behind a skill that heals co-op summons first so it does take a few points investment to get to it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Cool thanks. I picked up the ki pulse stuff and a couple finishers already, but I wasn't sure if by the end of the game it's expecting me to do combos out of fighting game or something.

I've just recently started focusing on switching up stances mid-combo. It's a lot of button presses to keep straight but once you've internalized a weapon's moveset for each stance and can swap to the one you want without having to stop and think about it you can really start to lay waste to things. My current go-to with the katana for yokai is dodge and kick them until they're out of stamina, then stun lock them with a big low-stance combo, Flux up to high stance, hit them once then do that big cartwheel move where you hold Triangle at the end of a combo.

Also like Sifl said if you change stances while ki pulsing it's called Flux and will grant you back bonus ki. You can even do it more than once if you're fast enough :getin:

Like, do a low-stance combo, then when your ki pulse meter fills back up hold R1 and hit Square then immediately Triangle, you should swap through Mid-stance to High and get back a huge chunk of your ki.

This is a pretty good intro video that describes the game mechanics really well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex85YCkB3I4&t=110s

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One on one they're not too bad, once you figure out they can follow up their combo with an almost immediate staff swing. If I'm punishing that I'll kick them then just hold block, saved me more than once.

Where birdos really shine/gently caress me up is when they're mixed in with other yokai. That one side mission where you fight one plus a floaty ghost girl really gave me the business. He would rush me down and get in my grill while she floated around and sniped me with fabric projectiles.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just finishes the last story mission tonight, was pretty sweet. I wasn't expecting that for a final boss, thought it was a decent fight overall.

Currently getting :killdozer:'ed hard by the patched-in challenge submissions. Is this what I have to look forward to in WotS?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Surprisingly, no. WOTS has, uh, stronger mobs and that kind of thing, but it's not quite the insane clusterfuck those patch missions would suggest. Their WOTS version though...Christ.

So WotS is more like Twilight Mission: The Game instead of "here fight these 5 guys at once, hope you know how to dodge Bolt projectiles by sound alone :iamafag: "?

Darth Walrus posted:

That's not the last story mission. Look for 'The Queen's Eyes' on your map. It's the ship symbol.

I saw that, but I was going to try and clear all the new sub missions before going to the 'next area'. Does that make any sense or should I really just hit the ship and come back when I have more divine gear?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

google translated patch notes posted:

◆ Add a figure copy of a female character
Oh yeah?

Oh yeah!

OH YEAH!!

Change downward ◆ Change the behavior when selecting "high touch" once again while waiting for gesture "high touch"

You can become impatient while waiting for someone to high five you back :3:

◆ Ban prohibition of live distribution and prohibition of screenshots in specific cut scenes
So, right now they block streaming/sharing of some cutscenes, but now they don't do that anymore, I think ?

gesture "Cross-legged" fixes a bug that can not be canceled by other action when one tenth hectare cotton and player of the position is away, modification of the bug that once cotton does not come close to normal one tenth hectare cotton , But corrected the problem that had a shooting action even if there was a wall between the player Yoshiki Ashikaga fixed guards even in the absence of visitors
:stare:

edit: and yep, just turned on my PS4, downloading 1.07 now in US Central timezone.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Alteisen posted:

I forget, what's the stat that helps the Kusari gama?

Dex.

I just realized with the addition of the bigass sword I can create 3 perfect samurai mans: light armor with dual swords/kusarigama, medium with katana and spear, and heavy with axe and bigger sword.

I just played through an early side mission after installing the patch, never saw one of the new swords. Do you have to start a new game or something?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

There are new damage increase skills in every tree for melee, ranged and fists...

I think it's the same 3 skills, they just appear at the bottom of every tree. They're the ones you can buy multiple times to increase the bonus you get, seems like they put them there as a place for people to dump unwanted skill points.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In the new northern region all the kodama are wearing little coats :3:

edit:
*sees a guy standing out alone*
"Let's try out these new molotov cocktail items :kingsley: "
"Oh god las plagas :gonk: "
*gets grappled and one-shot to death*

I'm OK with this.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 3, 2017

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^ That would suck if true, I just bought the full compliment of Sloth Talismans because they're one of the only debuffs I regularly used.

Every rev I fight seems to have a full Divine set of.................. Red Demon Armor :argh: I refuse to equip any piece of that armor on principle alone. I did luck into a Divine dual swords with Lightning, as well as a Divine Fire kusarigama so that's fun.

I did notice I seem to be having more luck bashing through blocking enemies' ki bars in the DLC, can't tell if it's an actual change from before the patch tho.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Protip for those worm head guys: some of them will fight you as a regular human until they take some damage. While they do this, their stamina drains normally but because they're yokai it doesn't regen. SO, if you just dodge and block them for a while you can get a free big punish on them while they're out of stamina to start the encounter.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo centipede bro is giving me the business :argh:

Just had back to back heartbreaker losses where I run out of resources right at the end and he catches me with that big fuckoff combo. I really thought I had him this last time when I discovered that while caltrops are useless for slowing him down, Blinding Shells gently caress him up for a good 30 seconds.

edit:
After getting kicked around by the first DLC boss earlier tonight, this was a good way to end things I feel :madmax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0da8H_CcPks

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 6, 2017

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WaltherFeng posted:

Path of Demon is pretty brutal. I have no problem using Onmyo and elementsl debuffs on everything I come across

From the sound of things it's absolutely mandatory that you do so. If you pull out Sloth and infinite Living Weapon exploits in NG it feels like cheating. When you do it in NG++ you might have a shot at surviving the encounter :getin:

Digirat posted:

Do kunai and shuriken actually do that much damage? Or did you just use a bunch of shinobi boxes to get a huge number of them?

This video goes through projectile damage changes in 1.08, looks like you can stack a few things and pump some stats to get pretty crazy damage out of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2RtWyBn4X8

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I finished the main campaign of Nioh. This is a really great game, my absolute favorite of the Souls-like games, and I can't wait to see what they do in the sequel (American Revolution fighting manitou, I hope)

You in with the DLC? I'm still in the first area out of 3(?) in the first DLC region but so far the content has been at least on par with the regular game. Plus if you feel like tackling any of the post-credits bonus missions you're gonna need some divine gear because the way the game ups the difficulty post NG is to start throwing more and more dudes at you. The focus shifts from 1-on-1 honor dueling strong enemies to crowd control and buffs/debuffs/exploits.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think that mission appeared for me until after the credits. Thought it was because it acts as an epilogue for NG as well as setting up the DLC.

This is my new favorite dual sword combo for erasing human/parryable enemies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTmyjZXAaak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah you fight him probably 6 times a game if you do all the side missions. The upswing is you get really good at it, by the time I was at the boss rush in the last mission I almost got Crusher for him.