Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I shortcut through the alley, kill the one zombie there, snipe the archer, kill the Samurai. Yeah you can't really skip them, but it's pretty quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You really need to sell your trash at the shrine. Not only do you get some souls for selling them, you get gifts of useful things like elixirs for your offerings. It's a pretty painless process, because you can sort by rarity or ability and go through and check all the items you want to offer and then offer them all at once.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also the bloodstain revenants essentially let you fight extra and varied enemies if you want. It's important to remember that while there are a lot of design choices in common with soulsgames, Nioh is also very loot-driven and will almost certainly have a farming aspect.

The help bubble for the familiarity number of items says "The higher your familiarity, the better a chance at finding the Smith Amrita when you disassemble it." which I think means that there's going to be a whole "disenchant weapons to unlock weapon crafting components" aspect of the game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Oh I was wondering about that. Interesting.

And yeah once I got to level 2 and started getting wrecked I just fought a bunch of bloodsword ghosts and increased all my gear and found myself on much even footing. Yeah it kinda sucks that I had to grind in order to to that but it wasn't all that long and I kinda like fighting other players' corpses.

Yeah I don't actually know anything about a planned crafting system, but I'd be pretty surprised if there weren't something similar to Diablo 3's system at the simplest.

I'm not sure if Familiarity is even implemented, but if it is, it's safe to say it's a very long term thing. It's out of 999, and I never got a single one of my items to go from 0/999 to 1/999 in a few hours of playing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I AM BRAWW posted:

I started blocking... Realized it's not like Dark Souls where some of the damage goes thru - you completely block the attack.

If you ever go back to dark souls, you should note that whether any damage goes through is determined by the shield's defense attributes. There are plenty of shields that block 100% of physical damage in dark souls.

Blocking is really important in Nioh, but I've noticed something that is going to take me quite awhile to get the hang of: Once you have parry skills, you can't let off of block and then immediatly strike with a fast attack, you end up doing a parry unless you sword has moved back into the correct position. This is a big reason to reaction block and parry, rather than holding it. I'm sure that Stance/Ki Pulse probably interacts with this in some way.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I was able to parry all the regular human guys with swords, spears, and axes, but not the Oni. The parry timing for spears is very difficult for me, though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

There's no shields, so they just made sword blocking as good as using a proper shield, which is nice.

Parrying windows are HUGE compared to dark souls also, and very easy to do, although it seems some attacks are un-parryable.

I think he's talking about blocking with your weapon which, there's no weapons in dark souls that have anywhere near decent defense attributes. You have to go shield to get anywhere near a decent defense, and this game has no shields. That was his point.

Maybe you forgot that blocking with weapons in DS is a thing you can even do, because nobody ever does it.

No, I just assumed that since this game has no shields he was comparing blocking (with your weapon) in this game, and blocking (with a shield) in dark souls. Because as you said, no one blocks with their weapon in DS.

Honestly the combat of this game isn't very similar to Dark Souls. It's really, really cool to see the Soulslike level design with the action-gameplay of something more like Ninja Gaiden or Way of the Samurai.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

You can do that by breaking their uh, well it's not stamina but I don't know what to call it, their second gauge, and any hit will make them flinch until they recover. That damage was bananas though.

I assume it's still Ki, even though it's like, demon power.

It's also super important to use Ki Pulses during the first boss fight, because Ki Pulses clear that AOEs that block your Ki. If you don't do any, he just keeps filling the room with them and then you can't even dodge.

edit: Also, if you like using swords, Heart seems to be hands down the best stat. I'm like level 30 and I have 20 Heart, because it boosts my Life, Ki, and swords scale with it. So it's my best damage stat and gives me the most Ki.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

More that even with normal attacks you're still doing crazy flips with a giant anime axe and teleporting all over the place. Bushido Blade and Kengo are definitely way more on the realistic side than this.

There's your anime axe.

But yes, the sword and spear stuff is going to be the more realistic stuff.

A big part of it is just semi-reasonably sized weapons and actual techniques.

I think it's loving hilarious that this is based of a historical person. Like, really?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

It's a very Koei thing to do

Yeah, the game has a really silly developement history. Originally is was based on an unfinished Akira Kurosawa script, that was being finished by his son, Hisao Kurasawa, for a movie to be released in parallel with the game. This was pre 2006, when the game and movie were both still called Oni. Then the game never came out in 2006. Then in 2009 they confirmed that the game was still in development. I assume the movie never happened. During this time (I want to say in 2008) Koei was bought by Techmo, becoming Koei Techmo. In 2010, it was announced that it was now being developed by Team Ninja. Now it's scheduled for release sometime this year. But no actual date.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Don't get me wrong, From is great, but I think Nioh is great because it is really different from Soulsgames. So I mean, I think Team Ninja taking over is better than it being picked up by From.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't have any problems with the damage values what so ever.

The grab attack is really obnoxious and I hate it, but the solution to the crawling guys is really simple: use the high guard. Now your fast attack is a vertical slash that easily connects with them on the ground.

In fact, in the second area I realized that I had been an idiot for picking one stance and sticking with it. The game is designed for you to fluidly chance stances as the situation requires. There's a skill that gives you extra Ki regeneration when you Ki Pulse into a new stance. So the idea is you are rewarded for doing a combo in one stance, Ki pulsing into another stance and doing a combo there. Since you can set up different combo finishers in different stances, you end up with a lot of options.

This game better loving come out this year.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I died a lot, but to the first enemy? Maybe twice while I was learning the controls. The game is pretty hard in general, but I feel like people trying to play it like Dark Souls, rather than learning Nioh's mechanics, is a much bigger wall.

Unlike Dark Souls, you should be checking your gear at least every time you are at the shrine. There are constant upgrades. I don't remember the last time I check and didn't find that I had picked up a major improvement. While skill is really important, Nioh has a much more stat and gear driven balance than Souls. no is ever beating this poo poo at level 1 with no weapons, it's not set up that way.

Also, holy poo poo, use your living weapon. I still don't know what exactly charges the gauge, but it does SO MUCH DAMAGE and makes you loving INVINCIBLE. (Taking damage depletes it, I have completely wasted it by eating a big attack right after activating it.)

I'm trying to make a video overview of the demo to post soon. I'll try and get it done tomorrow.

I'm just now getting into the groove where I can fight guys all Ninja Gaiden style instead of like a scared dark souls player.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Something I noticed that's kinda odd/bad is that in a given level if you attack an enemy and, say, knock it off its perch or into a place it otherwise is trapped in it'll eventually teleport back to its spawn point. Thankfully it retains any damage you've done but man, why do that?

Also what carries over between replaying levels? I think the little spirits you've found do but do shortcuts stay unlocked?

Shortcuts do not stay unlocked. The Kodamas are persistent shrine upgrades even between missions, I think (the second mission has the ones you found from the first mission).

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

the level 2 shortcut run is quite a gauntlet

Yeah the intermediate shortcuts are barely useful. It's a pretty cool area though. Once I got confident enough to fight the big guys without using bombs and only using like one elixir per, it really opened up. The fact that they usually drop 1 or 2 elixirs is really nice.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait... There's a shrine by the boss? Is the key that item in the tree? Dueling revenants is fun. You get a cup to summon a sunmurai bro every time you win. And you can always find a super easy one to beat. I fought one that had no armor at all.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The game straight up tells you that it's foolish to fight groups and gives you literally more pulling tools than you can carry.

Fighting groups is more of a challenge for when you are overlevelled for single opponents or have gotten your combo Ki pulsing stance switch chains down.

This is not like Dark Souls where you can dodge, attack, dodge attack, and expect to make good progress. You need to use combos and ki pulse stance switch to continue attacking without exhausting your ki.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I honestly think a chunk of the replayability comes from the fact that when you are under levelled or under geared, you can clear levels with tools and tricks, but later you can jumo in and take on 2-3 guys at once and heads are just popping off and you finish fights with full health and full ki and you feel loving awesome.

Also, I went from ragequitting after trying to fight revenants, to having to go pray at the shrine to loat more revenant, since I killed all the ones in the area. It's fun to have extra optional enemies. Revenants are way more varied than regular enemies, so you aren't just fighting the same guys over and over.

Snak fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 30, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I like this game a lot and I'm gonna buy it. That said, I don't understand how to fight the second boss at all and its not really any fun. The fact that you can be running or rolling as fast as you can and still get one-shotted anywhere in the arena is really lame and doesn't give you a chance to observe his tells. I tried summoning help once, but it felt stupid since I got one-shotted literally as soon as the boss spawned. I moved forward enough for the boss to spawn, then I evaded left and died. That was the whole fight.

The first attempt I got him down to a quarter health with my living weapon, but I don't actually understand what charges the spirit gauge. Hitting stuff, I think? It's not explained anywhere in the game as far as I know...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
No for real, what's the deal with "all of my attacks oneshot you" the boss? I figured there would be some kind of trick or weak point to him, but I haven't been able to do much of anything because I die before I can understand what he's doing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It turns out that what I thought was a really small amount of lightning resist also helps a lot. Basically halved his damage and now I don't get one-shotted any more.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This game is so cool.

Also I just realize that my spirit guardian has basically not been equipped because I don't have enough spirit. I'm about to start a second playthrough though, so I'll make sure to level spirit. I'm also going to try the ninjutsu stuff this time.

Edit: holy poo poo low stance is easy mode. Also ninjutsu bombs are pretty good. This is definitely not too hard. It's very much a case of mechanics not being clear.

Snak fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 1, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I AM BRAWW posted:

So what is the actual difference between stances? I 100% specced into maxing out mid-stance sword but I think it was stupid on my part

You should not choose a stance to stick with, instead you should choose your stance based on each enemy. Ideally you want to change stances during combat for optimum combos, but that poo poo is hard.

Mid stance is pretty good all around, but it's also why I thought the crawling Zombies were hard. Low and high stances can easily hit them while they're on the ground band makes them a joke, outside of their bullshitty grab.

Yes, bullshitty. I had one grab me while I was behind it, and the barfing into my face animation played while it was 4 feet in front of me facing away from me.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I posted this in the genchat thread, but I'm posting it here as well:

I made a video about low stance and how great it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwfJdcki92Q

edit: I'm pretty new to making videos, so any constructive feedback is appreciated. I'm still playing around with volume levels. I feel like maybe my voice should be louder compared to the game sound.

Snak fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 1, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Belzac posted:

I like the second level more than the first. It has more optional areas that lead into cool encounters and it's really fun to run around all the cool paths to get where you want to go very quickly without aggroing much. I'd rather they add a ton of level 2 sized levels then a few level 1 sized levels.

I don't think that level 2 is even smaller than level 1. It's just flatter and has a big open area that serves no purpose. Level 1 is very dense, so in terms of content, yeah it's got like twice as much.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I always try to replenish my arrows by sniping archers, trading 1 arrow for the 2-5 that they drop.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I literally just run away when he starts his big 360 swing and the run in and punish. Bait the forward slam and run around and punish.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I mean, maybe he has a big enough tell on his spin attack that I could run away, but that isn't working for me. Trying to run away just means a ball is going to hit me in the back. I've had decent luck blocking it but (as is reasonable) the overhead swings can't be blocked so I just get crushed.

I'm out of Whetstones now so this gets one more try and then I think I'm done with the demo. I'd like the DLC you get for beating it but I don't want to have to grind to git gud :smith:

Yeah if you try to dodge backwards from upclose you won't get far enough away. I hung out at midrange waiting for the tell and then literally ran away.

I don't think I've ever had fewer than 5 wetstones. But yeah I guess if there's a big RNG influence there I could see that being super lame.

I am curious, and might test soon, how much fire resistance helps against getting instant-killed by the fire. I doubt it will help much, but throwing on ~40 lighting resist halved Nue's damage, so who knows.

Since it's a heavily gear an consumable-based game, it's not like Dark Souls where you want to skip enemies. While there's gonna be some overlap, I think the loot/farm aspect of this game is gonna mean that a big chunk of Soulsgames players won't be interested. That's fine, they are different games.

edit: ^this game is hard, but it's not the same style of hard as Souls. I'm sorry you're not having fun :( Maybe they will make some changes and you will like the finished product more :)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You should ki pulse immediately after attack. I just beat him for the third time, and a high-stance heavy attack into ki-pulse rinse and repeat makes him really easy if you don't have living weapon up (I didn't)

edit: Also I sympathize with not wanting to farm for essentials. It does suck if people are finding themselves in that position. I've never been in a situation where I was both out of repair items AND didn't have equivalent gear I could just swap to. I always keep my two best swords equipped, that way if one breaks, I can just switch to the other, but honestly, I usually end up swapping out the most broken one for a new sword before I ever have to repair them. At least until well into the second mission.

edit2: how do you enter matchmaking?

Snak fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 2, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Finally beat him. Jesus.

Managed to get lucky with Living Weapon, popped it right at the second phase and stunlocked him down to having two hits left, then just finished him off.

Nue is going to be the death of me irl I'm guessing

My best advice for Nue is to select all your armor and amulets for lightning resist. It makes a big difference. His lightning bolts when from doing 1900 damage to 900 damage with ~40 lightning resist.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

lets hang out posted:

nue is probably easier once you figure out what's happening. nothing as wonky as the balls the first boss throws. nue is fun to fight

I totally disagree. The first boss is not very difficult, has very straightforward visual cues as to what's happening, and his moves are not difficult to dodge once you know what they are. Nue is a gimmicky unintuive one-shot fest.

But I mean, that's my taste in soulsbosses too. It's not an objective judgement, just my preference in gameplay.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

This person is good at Nioh. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPmUPfN33a8

I want to be this good at stance-switching and ki pulse.

Yeah, in surprised they don't use high stance more though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I posted a new video. It's just a continuation from my last one. It goes until the last shrine of the first area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6atrqfoqAtU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Cant mid level though. You join from the level select.

That's terrible. That's easily the worst design decision in the game. Maybe it's only for the alpha.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yes. There is a katana skill that give you a bonus when you switch stances during your Ki Pulse. I'm not very good at it, but it's amazing because you can actually get a net gain in Ki and just keep killing poo poo forever. This game is really really cool and I'm sad that I don't have time to explore the mechanics more before the demo ends.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also you can change the camera from "action" to "classic" and then it won't swing in dramatically when you do grapples and parries.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

One thing that strikes me about the demo is that the Souls-style "level up your stats with Amrita" part feels kind of unnecessary.

You're probably placing your levels so that you specialize in one weapon type over the others. Body + Strength for spears, Heart + Skill for katanas, etc. Maybe splash some Strength or Skill for weapon or armor requirements. But you're also specializing by spending skill points in skill trees, and sometimes those give you new, active things you can do and sometimes they give you little passive boosts that are similar to what your stats do. I think the skill tree is the more interesting of the two, to the point that I'm not sure what the stat-by-stat leveling is really doing there. (Okay, I also get that leveling your stats gives you skill points and how many and what kind you get depends on what stat, but that also seems like it's the middleman when you could just buy skills directly with Amrita.)

Maybe in the full game, late-game equipment will have really high Strength and Skill requirements and the point is that you have to balance out meeting the requirements for equipment while having the stats to scale your chosen weapon type and enough Life and Ki? I dunno. I think I'd rather just have the skill trees and tie Life and Ki upgrades to skills.

What always trips me up is how the level up and learn skills trees are completely separate. I often forget to go get new skills after levelling up.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Anatharon posted:

Beat the demo, but I don't think I found any shortcuts. :downs:

That's amazing.

...not even the door by the shrine before the first boss?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My third video is now up. This one goes from the third shrine to opening the final shortcut. I don't explore the whole area, but I go through each shortcut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sitYIRRYYeM

This game can't come out soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just tried Onmyo Magic for the first time. drat it's good. This game is so good. I am gonna be so mad if it doesn't come out this year.