Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Now that I know there's a topic here i'll try not to flood the steam thread so much with these little moments i just keep tickling myself with

(There's sound but not important)

https://i.imgur.com/ovzUvXh.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Just faced the Obsidian Samurai.

Took me a dozen or so tries, but...

:hai:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Remember when Strongbad said "You gotta have blue hair?"

Replace "blue hair" with "gimmick" and that's 90% of protagonists/antagonists in KOEI games. Tics, catchphrases, some sort of gesture they pull off at least once every couple of cutscenes or missions. How do I know this? Playing KOEI games since Dynasty Warriors 3/Samurai Warriors 1, all the Orochis.

That's how they do poo poo.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So i played the first game quite a bit, playing a LOT but not very far, just part way into NG+. The low 200s.

One of my biggest strengths was my technical love for the kusarigama, and a gear set that with only 2 pieces, a single Living Weapon got you 40% of your ninjitsu stuff back. So I had high ninja skill and while I didn't SPAM stuff, I used all those gadgets extensively.

I'm playing Nioh 2 essentially blind (glossing over all the end-game stuff, sorry), but I'd like to know, is there a mechanism later in the game--gear set, soul core or guardian spirit ability, etc, that lets you replenish some amount of ninja stuff without a shrine or a shinobu box? Is that something I can look forward to? Yes or No?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

There's something hilarious to me about watching a de-aggro'd enemy slowly walk away, poison himself, die of said poison...

and then getting a title from it (video link). :v:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I didn't know you could have more than one Scampuss!!

:peanut:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Well now I feel cool for getting the Phantom Burst Counter down and also dumb for never successfully Feral countering.

Edit: Can you expound what you meant by

quote:

Fists benefit heavily from the skill customization found in the Samurai tree
? I Know what Skill Customization is, but what exactly do you mean from the "Samurai tree"? Which skill nodes are you referring to?

Morter fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 15, 2021

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Alright folks, I've been playing mostly blind and I have not beaten the game.

I rarely soul match for the purposes of upgrading but I ran into a weird situation where getting a level 88 purple chest to 110 would cost 550k. Sure.

However, I managed to get a purple+1, and though it was only level 100, the defense was only off by 2 points, and the price to soul match with it was only 180k.

From the chunk of NG+ i played in Nioh 1, I remember how this worked with divine/green text gear...but how the hell do you get +1 purples? I've soul matched a couple purples together for the purposes of taking its 'movable' attribute, and I don't remember getting a +1.

(I'd check but I'm working and also in the middle of a mission)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ah, so I can't make +1 purples of my own? I want to for the sake of cheaper soul matching.

This chest has Life Recovery on Amrita, which boosts my current kingdom buff for it. 51 per amrita orb.

I can't let that go. :negative:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Dumb question: what do the numbers in blue mean?

I was recently promoted to "Samurai General" and before this, the numbers were

"20 (10)

40 (20)"

I assumed because I didn't have a high rank, the blue numbers would work up to the white numbers, but instead all values increased. What means what?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

That is weird, but yay, glad I'm getting rank bonus and junk. :peanut:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

Why do I get a little bit of amrita when I hit up the shrine at the start of a mission?

Its like the shrine kiddos are goin 'Sup'.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Alright, so at the tender level of 130, I beat Otakemaru on my first try (:c00lbert:), and I'm now in NG+!

I've beaten every side mission that didn't require an Interim conversation, and only 1 online mission (The one with 6 masters and Mumyo).

So now my question is: What do I do next to avoid level gap/difficulty frustration?

I clearly love Nioh, but I didn't get far in the NG cycles of the first game. Once I got to the 4th or so country I got sort of frustrated/overwhelmed by what I believe was expected to me, and had a 100 level gap to fill, even though I was beating levels higher than my current rating not too terribly.

Nevertheless, I want this experience to go as smoothly as possible, so...what next? The DLC? A few levels of NG+ to get proper Divine gear? Do I power on ahead with the DLC? They seem to be rated in lower difficulty levels than the last country in DotS, but at this point that might be an arbitrary number.

Also i'm not up for 'grinding/farming for optimal builds' or anything at the moment. I'm perfectly content with just grabbing and using whatever I can get my mitts on. I could MAYBE see 'doing a bit of grinding to get/craft Divine gear' but otherwise I'm mainly focused on going through levels.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Awesome. One more thing:

As I was waiting for a response, I played a random encounter. Since I haven't beat any NG+ levels yet, I assumed the difficulty would be DotSam--because my understanding is you can only partake in missions you beat, in random encounters.

However, I ended up getting an incense because 'Pictures weren't unlocked' according to the game. Looking up on the wiki, it seems like the idea is I would get a scroll reward for playing online with someone, for that level. Does that mean scrolls can drop on DotSam? Or do I have to do something special first in order to unlock Demon Scrolls?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Oh okay I realize what it is. It's worded weird but:

I think it's more saying that 'there's no such things as picture scrolls for DotSam', which is where random encounters would take me. Thus, I can't have gotten a scroll for doing the online mission, and it'll give me that trinket instead.

Fair enough, but now I want to go far enough in DotStr go get a demon scroll to begin with.

Also, as someone who generally dislikes souls games and is bad at fighting bosses in almost any game, I just want to post this for posterity as this is a high point for me

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

Wait what there's auto-buy at the bazaar??

Yes, I used that for ochoko cups early on when I was more dependent on benevolent graves (and not fighting revenants enough)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I can't tell you how much this upset me.

:catstare:

https://i.imgur.com/OiLolTM.mp4

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:sweatdrop:+:ninja:

https://i.imgur.com/2jFQE0L.mp4

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Relevant in that it's teatime:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

It also helps that I could do LW a lot more often than I can do yokai shift. And that was even before I geared towards it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

teh_Broseph posted:

And don't forget to get the drop from the first stage DLC1 Otakemaru fight for the upgraded charge attack version Shiftling Tree skill for whatever form you're using, seems like those have a pretty easy drop rate and are free damage.

The what now? I just finished DLC1 and got into DLC2. I don't remember fighting Otakemaru...

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So I'm not very good at boss battles. I get nervous and lock up. For some bosses, i lucked out and beat them on the first few tries. Others give me problems.

I need to relax, think, and get better.

But stuff like this? https://streamable.com/t07vo8

This is horseshit.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

One possessed by a christian angel just going "HOLY HOLY HOLY"

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

And to pass on a tip I got and appreciated: Until you get to NG+ there's no equipment that you need to save for later. Just sell it or dismantle it or offer it. And you also don't need to care about crafting until NG+

But what about inheritable traits you wanna keep :ohdear:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Might be talking about the "Allow certain attacks to do more damage/have an element, based on stat", like much of the Samurai tree.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Schubalts posted:

In Nioh 2, putting a status effect on the ki pulse skill with fists could be useful, since you can do it constantly after every single other attack you do.

IIRC, can't you only apply one skill on one stance? So like in order to cover all 3 you'd have to apply 3 separate skills?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Schubalts posted:

.You can jump straight into the DLC, it's balanced for every difficulty.
Wait a second. I've been doing the dlc on the initial NG. Are you doing i should've been doing it from the start of NG+???

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Granted, fists are among the newest weapons in the series, so they got that enticing new-gear smell

also they're so fun.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Judge Tesla posted:

Investing in Onmyo Magic can turn you into an unstoppable God, who needs to wear heavy armour when you can just pop an armour talisman and laugh at enemies doing chip damage to you.

Tell that to the revenants i dunk on and make them give me their lunch money loot :c00lbert:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah that would be my recommended strat for not getting completely burned out on NG+ shenanigans:
Clear all of NG

This includes the DLC right?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I had no use for white and yellow (or whichever the next rarity is) loot in short order, but I was dependent on the divine rice to keep my ochoko cup supply up because I sure as hell wasn't picking fights with revenants until I was comfortable..

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Ulio posted:

So the game is not over even after credit roll?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Cf-6vKVWg

Morter fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 14, 2021

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So I'm in NG+ and I want to work on mastering weapons, but it's clearly dangerous going into higher level missions with a weapon you have no skills in. So what's the best or safest way to up your weapon mastery without putting yourself in nigh-inescapable danger?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Awesome advice. Sounds like I could use those fun NG+ scrolls. Thanks! Also, what-in-heck is Amrita Sake?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

I just want to say I love this game and how badass it makes me feel. I'm inundated with work and games but every so often I'll just jump in and slay half-a-level's worth of enemies and feel awesome, and some random rear end death by a red kappa won't even ruin my mood. :allears:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

signalnoise posted:

tragically died by random rear end-death

Oh yeah kappa's'll do that to you. :heysexy:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Explain it to me like I'm a five year old demon-slayer: How exactly does feral burst counter work versus phantom? I've gone through the whole game as Phantom but want to use Feral more. However I almost never get the timing down. I maybe feral countered twice, ever

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Takes No Damage posted:

Enemy placement was obviously done with some care and being able to wallhack every enemy location removes a significant chunk of the Intended Gameplay ExperienceTM.

Uh, the intended gameplay experience is some goddamn loot-splosions and however I get their is my business

*summons 3 fluffy demon cats* :colbert:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Alright dumb question time:

When exactly would I know that it's a good time for moving onto NG++ (and subsequent cycles)?

I was content marauding around NG+, mainly picking up Kodama. I got them all and I was wondering what to do next, so I tried to farm the thunderous fist blueprint. Stupid me, I ended up unlocking NG++.

I know there's better loot and such but what all should I either beef up or indulge in before going onto the next level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Are bows incapable of getting Benzaiten's grace? I've crafted dozens and they seem to keep getting the same 3: Hachiman, Fukuroju, and Jurojin