Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Rocky Mountain National park ... wild basin area on the bank of ouzel lake there's a stainless toilet. With a 3 sided privacy "fence". The fence is only as high as needed so you could see out away from the toilet.

It was clear and freezing the morning I had to poop. Did I mention it was a stainless toilet? Holy poo poo. Trying to relax while it's in the teens. Invigorating.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/derickadame/7268383712/

Verman fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
That certainly doesn't look like 200 feet from a water source.

Then again I'm not quite sure how you would do so when you can't get away from the water. Pack it out?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Oh that's nice.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Totally does. The thread is titled "coolest place you pooped outside"

Not "coolest place you pooped outside your pants".

You're good.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

SaltLick posted:

Pooping underwater sounds amazing

Not if you eat a lot of fiber

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Why on earth would you bring a poo poo bag into your tent?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Pack it out is a "leave no trace" ethic which most wild areas in the states require while on the backcountry. Usually it only requires digging a shallow hole and burying it but some places are more fragile, have too much traffic or simply don't have the soil in which to bury it.

Human poo poo takes a while to deteriorate especially in places that don't have good deep soil. Add in the amount of traffic and it literally piles up.

People are disgusting and lazy animals. The average person would gladly poo poo within spitting distance of where they eat and get their water.

I've been to a site and saw a massive pile of human poo poo and toilet paper 10 feet away from the tent pad. I've also been to a site and seen a gallon sized zip lock bag full of old food obviously hidden in a bush close enough to the tent pads that you could hit it by pissing out of your sleeping bag.

Rules for managing waste are good. Nobody wants to camp in a poo poo infested site or climb a rocky ridge smothered in dry poo (smothering poop on rocks to dry in the sun was and is a thing).

Verman fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I was hiking on Sunday up Mount Dickerman in the Cascades.

I had to poop at the trailhead, no worries there was an outhouse. Then I had to poop halfway up the trail and it wasn't waiting for me to find an ideal place. The area was pretty steep and not a whole lot of flat ground to wander off. I waddled past the switchback/turnoff in this meadow and found a hidden little spot behind a rock/tree and on a slope. My thighs were burning from squatting, and I made the mistake of pooping uphill. I got some on my finger, then that got on the roll of toilet paper, the side no less tainting the entire roll.

The cleanup took longer than the deed. I've been lucky that I haven't had to do it in a while but clearly my skills have gotten dull.

• Locked thread