Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Nothing like waiting in line to poop in an open air toilet near the monument creek camp area in the grand canyon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

and that's why you should always treat/filter your drinking water

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Verman posted:

That certainly doesn't look like 200 feet from a water source.

Then again I'm not quite sure how you would do so when you can't get away from the water. Pack it out?

True I guess it depends on how much room there is. If it's a river trip they usually want you to bring a portable toilet.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ahh got it, my bad, didn't catch that you had a portable, at first glance it just seemed like you were digging a hole next to the water and letting 'er rip

I've been on one long river trip in my life we and we used the ammo can style, but I think we also had a seat for it. I don't remember it being a literal pain in the rear end. And yeah you strap that thing on tight to the raft to make sure it's not going anywhere...

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

better than the people who just drop them over the edge of the trail up on Whitney! gently caress those people

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

That raises the question: are they pooping in a bag and throwing it off the edge, or are they hanging their rear end over the edge and letting it rip?

flinging the bag off the edge though I wouldn't put it past people to poo poo off the side of the cliff for laughs either. making GBS threads off the edge would probably be better though

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Supposedly Trail Camp smelled like a sewer and the water supply was dodgy until they forced people to start using wag bags. Still would hate to camp there...crowded quarters and everyone's got their wag bag proudly sitting out

e: I think they even had basically port-a-potties at one point but they couldn't keep up with the waste and it was just a mess.

I think Guitar Lake was getting similarly bad. If I do Whitney again I might just hike over to Hitchcock lakes instead to camp since Guitar Lake is so crowded

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Poopelyse posted:

Buddy of mine has some criteria for rating your backpacking/camping poos:

How good was the poop itself?
How good was the view?
How good of a perch was it?
Availability of wiping materials
Wildlife sightings while pooping

Best poo was when we were backpacking in the Uintas in Utah and made it to the top of a pass. Had a beautiful view, a nice perch, and watched a big rear end hawk swoop down and grab a mouse or something right in front of us. Quite amazing.

were you pooping together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I might have been literally pooping when I took this

• Locked thread