Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.

meristem posted:

Eh, I think proper labelling would help a lot here. Don't call yourself 'progressive' (as in the One True And Only), call yourself 'economic progressive', and acknowledge that other people may find social progression to be personally as much, or more, important. I know that it drives a lot of people crazy that, they feel, Bernie fans try to usurp their progressive, well, identity.

In other words: don't deny the need for identity politics, because this denies the needs and feels of people who might be your potential allies. Find your place within the intersectional context and try to work from there instead.

How about calling yourself a progressive and valuing both economic and social issues. I have no problem with people valuing the social side over the economic one, I don't appreciate using social progressivism as a shield to excuse candidates that can just claim taking corporate money and being corrupt shitheads is just due to being shrewd operators and they are somehow protected from being called out on their poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

This is what I'm talking about, a puff piece from The Hill on Cory Booker, who is progressive because...? If he were a white guy it probably wouldn't matter that he's a Wall Street rear end in a top hat and may be a charter school cheerleader too. This is how identity politics can be weaponized against progressives.

https://twitter.com/TheBpDShow/status/726042911935188992

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Oh hey, the band got back together!

As much as I love hailing satan, i'm excited for this thread, and really like the effortposts so far.

Also to derail: Is it Classic Comrade who is the sunscreen advocate? I'm trying to get my girlfriend to wear it, but she's kinda a hippie and CHEMICALS! Any suggestions for well made sunscreen?

It's easy, look up "environmental working group(or just ewg)+suncscreen". The specific sunscreen I would recommend is somewhat pricey, but it's also got a good balance of a minimum of toxic elements and good coverage. it's called Jason 30 SPF mineral sunscreen.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Classic Comrade posted:

it was sad ( :sad: ) learning that deray mckesson (bringing this back to local level politics.... he ran for mayor of baltimore) was being monetarily supported by charter school ppl and lobbyists.

Once I found out about his weird shilling of commercial products on his Twitter and the other poo poo like his being gung ho for charter schools, I pretty much wrote off DeRay as untrustworthy.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

gently caress you Reuters.

https://twitter.com/ReutersPolitics/status/726056978267648001

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

NumberLast posted:

Only good comment on there is from the person with a Gravity Falls profile pic. Way to go, buddy. :hfive:

I don't appreciate all the lovely insinuations that goes into an article like that. A combination of people's disdain for Clinton and some degree of horseshoe theory nonsense(Trump and Sanders are practically the same person).

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

NumberLast posted:

I have a friend that thinks people hate Trump because the media tells him to, and that the media hates him because they'll lose money if he wins (or something). I tell him about Trump's racist and violent rhetoric and all I get is "I don't believe that happened," which is pretty :cripes:. But he also voted for Bernie.

Point is, there is crossover among people that are just generally anti-establishment while being fairly apolitical, like my friend there.

Sure, but like with the Bernie Bro thing it's painting all Sanders supporters with the same brush.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

NumberLast posted:

Oh, I know. It over-generalizes. What I found weirdest about the article is that it seems to be approaching the issue with the assumption that Bernie supporters will support Trump.

speaking of linking the two...

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/726058648649261056

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

https://twitter.com/ckilpatrick/status/726076619635474432

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Sanders will move Clinton to the left. If not, then delusion will suffice:

https://twitter.com/DemFromCT/status/726103045931687936

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Who here would be surprised to find out Clinton is confident enough to just blow off Sanders and ignore him completely assuming she'll get votes from fear(millenials and republicans).

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

C-SPAN Caller posted:

She's not getting millenials.

uhhh Lena Dunham? Broad City cameo? come on, surely you know that's all that's needed aside from threatening a Trump presidency.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/726135807447207941

It's nice to know so many pundits and surrogates of Clinton are willing to make a total 180 from previous positions for no other discernible reason than to align themselves with her.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Smoremaster posted:

it's kinda cute that MIGF followed us here, poor man must be so lonely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b11ZU2HceDg

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Is this thread safe for casual chat mixed in with serious discussion? Is it safe for me to post articles and tweets clowning on Clinton and/or praising Sanders and a glorious future of FULL COMMUNISM NOW? I see some of the worst offenders(Tantrum, Obdicut and that weirdo earlier that was bending over backwards to defend Clinton's poo poo foreign policy) and fear it is an attempt to crush the thread under the weight of pedantry and fighting over very specific minutiae until we're all driven to suicide.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Clinton surrogate weighs in on the optics of protest:

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/726549525872152578

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Classic Comrade posted:

this, yes

i think limit the bernie discussion a lil bit tho until we know if it's ok for someone to make an actual bernie thread again.

also cause i don't want this to be a hotbed of clinton-or-sanders bickering.

I dare not even speak the revered one's name. Did something special happen to get the thread gassed?

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I've also learned that by IRL being a more compassionate person that listens while also making a point and keeping a positive attitude it gets you way farther than being a cynical pedant that argues about everything

also makes life way more enjoyable

I personally prefer to use pedantry and disingenuous snobbery to defend warmongering, power-hungry sociopaths who use identity politics as a shield and and as a weapon to crush dissent.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Lord of Pie posted:

googled "romulan shoulder pads" and welp

Do romulans make their clothes from oven mitts?

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Another excellent Jacobin article discussing the realities of what it takes to be a "progressive that gets things done":

https://twitter.com/jacobinmag/status/726382566757027840

Some highlights from the article, which is mainly from passages from the book My Turn: Hillary Clinton Takes Aim At The Presidency by Doug Henwood:

quote:

Henwood’s abiding interest in economic issues and the way they interact with political realities to ensure the bottom line is apparent in My Turn as well. The book’s opening pages note that eight million jobs will have to be created to return the United States to pre-recession employment figures and that income inequality is worse than it has ever been.

His insistence on grounding his many rhetorical and analytical fusillades in the material conditions of US life ensures that his detailed, unflinching look at the Clintons’ long public history cannot be written off as a sexist attack. Instead, Henwood’s brief is directed squarely at Hillary Clinton’s political opportunism, her reflexive secrecy, her frequent patronage of friends and cronies, her belligerent approach to foreign policy, her scant legislative record in the Senate, and her unimpressive tenure as secretary of state.

To the extent that Clinton’s identity serves as a basis for Henwood’s critique, it is not her gender, but her identification with, and championing of the interests of, the powerful and wealthy American elite that makes her an unworthy candidate.

quote:

The American example of race relations makes an analogous case. Barack Obama’s election to the presidency was a significant triumph in the battle for racial equality, but it did little to change the everyday social and economic realities faced by the majority of African-Americans. In fact, many of his policies deepened the inequities that structure black working-class life.

Some — like Michelle Alexander in The New Jim Crow — have even suggested isolated success stories like Obama’s do more harm than good by encouraging the damaging illusion that the achievement of racial equality within the ruling class represents real progress for the majority of black Americans.

quote:

By now, the litany is familiar. We are first told that as an undergraduate at Wellesley, Clinton wrote her thesis on Saul Alinsky. But, as Henwood points out, by then, she had already become disenchanted with community organizing, dismissing community action programs as “too idealistic and simplistic” and accusing welfare programs of creating a “cycle of dependency.”

Later, as a law student at Yale, she monitored trials for civil rights violations, including a prosecution of Black Panther militants (this claim though, seems to have shallow roots in fact). And then, as a young lawyer, she built her career at public agencies, like Legal Services Corporation, and nonprofits, like the Children’s Defense Fund, fighting for the rights of poor women and children.

But Traister admits that during the decades that followed, “she contorted” into a figure more accommodating to the status quo, eager to compromise in whatever manner was required to advance first her husband’s, and then her own, political ambitions.

Traister blames sexism for Clinton’s metamorphoses. “America did not much like this woman when she first came to us,” Traister writes, and though she allows that Clinton bears ultimate responsibility for the decisions she has made in office, it is “also on us, and our longstanding lack of appetite for [ambitious] women who threaten or trouble us.”

But sexism alone can’t explain Clinton’s decades-long betrayal of her once-progressive credentials. While working in Arkansas for the Rose Law Firm and its client, Walmart, Clinton took on a case against the community organizing group ACORN, which had fought for different electricity rates for commercial and residential users. Clinton crafted a legal strategy favored by right-wing attacks on administrative agency regulation: that such measures amounted to unconstitutional “takings of property.”

quote:

Clinton’s lack of progressive ideals is especially visible in her work as secretary of state — a record that Henwood subjects to especially withering analysis — where she oversaw a belligerent foreign policy: she backed an escalation of the war in Afghanistan, supported intervention in Libya, called for strikes in Syria, urged an ongoing military role in Iraq, and enthusiastically supported Israel’s policies in Gaza.

As secretary of state, Clinton supposedly worked on issues like “empowerment of women, gay rights, Third World development, health and internet freedoms,” but there is little tangible impact to report in those domains. She did help impose tough sanctions on Iran and negotiated neoliberal free trade agreements with Colombia, Panama, and South Korea. She also dispensed plenty of patronage to friends, ensuring waiver of the usual background scrutiny for those she hired to well-paid positions at the Department of State.

In a classic instance of neocolonial appropriation of nationalized industries, Clinton actively worked to open up Mexican oil and gas to American corporations, and joined a long and dishonorable tradition of American foreign policy by supporting a coup in Honduras against the democratically elected government of Manuel Zelaya.

Henwood’s account of the Clinton State Department is damning in other respects as well. He argues that the position was extremely lucrative for the Clintons: in a rather transparent quid pro quo Clinton dispensed favors in international business deals to her corporate allies who in turn donated to the Clinton philanthropies — business elites got contracts and in turn gave funds to the foundation, which were siphoned off for luxurious travel and sundry expenses.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

TinFoilJoy posted:

At the very least, I think we should all agree to not engage Obdicut under any circumstances, because that is how threads die.

So now that the thread isn't a mix of zany memes, wacky catchphrases, and the occasional political discussion now all the horrible pedantrolls have slithered in? The boredom is palpable.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

THORIUM posted:

zdr says we can have another Bernie thread, but the second one got gassed because everyone was complaining about the first one being gassed. he didn't do it, an IK did it. he also advised us to "stay on target," i.e. don't bitch and moan this time folks: just post cool bernie memes and foodchat and hailing satan -- no complainers.

edit: page 16yo jailbait snype

Under threat of thread nuking, what qualified as complaining? the political discussion or beating back the trolls?

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Mr. Horrible posted:

more like :stonklol: imo

Two threads gassed and I still don't know. I've read the forum rules multiple times since the first thread got gassed but I can't point to anything new that was going on when they closed it. :confused:

So is this thread "The Place" or is that other second concession thread going to be general chat while this one is serious businesses with miles-high towers of ancient manuscripts and arguments over this philosopher or that?

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/726783458098446336

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Strange, I thought republicans were the ones that were known more for fealty to authority.

edit:
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/726840352548753408

empireofcrime has issued a correction as of 19:31 on May 1, 2016

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

https://twitter.com/davelevinthal/status/726765336763219968

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

NumberLast posted:

:eyepop: I fit into that demographic perfectly

That Sanders accomplished enough to inject the idea of a real progressive into the heads of the right demographic makes me happy. He also said that until Clinton gets to the required delegate count he will assume a contested convention(and so will I, with all the hope I can muster).

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Classic Comrade posted:

o yeah i forgot about that ahahahaha

the SCANDAL

There wasn't seriously anyone trying to make something of the "inaccuracy" of that claim was there?

"Oh it was 29 instead of 27?"

"Yeah we finally blew the lid off this crooked bigot" *shakes* *pants heavily*

"..."

Classic Comrade posted:

i personally am assuming a "bernie gets a chance to speak, then he flips everbody off, says 'later, NERDS', and ollies out" situation

I understand the decorum and how he's trying to get them to play ball a little more with the "democrat from now on" thing, but I wish he would just say she was the nominee and he'll accept that without endorsing her.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

I'm convinced someone over at Jacobin is reading my thoughts.

https://twitter.com/MiyaTokumitsu/status/727114763268816896

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Our favorite Clinton surrogate Krugman is throwing another tantrum about Sanders, this time for not ending his campaign.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/bernies-bad-end/?_r=0

The article:

quote:

This is really depressing: Sanders claiming that there will be a contested convention, and suggesting that the nomination fight was rigged. Can someone tell Bernie that he’s in the process of blowing his own chance for a positive legacy?

Here’s how the narrative could have run: although he fell short of actually getting the nomination, Sanders did far better than expected, giving him and his movement a good claim to have a big say in the Democratic agenda for 2016 and perhaps setting the movement up as the party’s future. But to take that position — to turn defeat in the primary into a moral victory — he would have had to accept the will of the voters with grace.

What we’re getting instead is an epic descent into whining. He dismissed Clinton victories driven by black voters as products of the conservative Deep South; he suggested that his defeat in New York was unfair because it was a closed primary (you can argue this case either way, but requiring that you identity as a Democrat to choose the Democratic nominee is hardly voter suppression — arguably caucuses are much further from a democratic process); then, with the big loss in the mid-Atlantic primaries,he has turned to a sort of fact-free complaint that any process under which Bernie Sanders loses is ipso facto unfair, and superdelegates should choose him despite a 3 million vote deficit.

At this point it’s as if Sanders is determined to validate everything liberal skeptics have been saying all along about his unwillingness to face reality — and all of it for, maybe, a few weeks of additional fundraising, at the expense of any future credibility and goodwill. Isn’t there anyone who can tell him to stop before it’s too late?

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Are Clinton surrogates seriously going to start peddling the lie that Sanders "had his chance" to change the dem party platform but his petulance and egotism prevented it? How about the reality of it being that Clinton will dismiss him out of hand and just assume a combination of fear of republicans and whatever lame PR poo poo she can come up with will corral enough voters to get her to the White House(which is still fairly likely).

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Goetta posted:

The Dem thread in this forum has been saying that exact thing in the first sentence of your post for a few weeks now so it certainly feels like something that has been pushed out there since before even NY.

Also christ Krugman is such an obvious hack these days it makes me sad.

So it has nothing to do with a number of other possibilities including Clinton being known to be very petty and vindictive and being unwilling to bend because she is a power hungry shithead that would rather burn Sanders and his supporters than show weakness by incorporating any part of his platform(which also carries issues detrimental to her benefactors). It's almost as if in 2008 a certain losing candidate in the dem primaries was unwilling to give up and kept going. Who could that candidate be? Very mysterious.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Goetta posted:

Also want to mention that my wife has Native American ancestry and this comment royally pissed her off to the point where she is now a lifelong Dem voter (and way more pragmatic about her vote than I am) and is probably not voting for Clinton in the fall. Maybe a small demographic to piss off but that particular phrase raises some hackles for sure.

I'm sure Clinton doesn't care since she likely sees Native Americans as one of the groups that Sanders managed to "capture" or whatever so it's NBD to her and her surrogates.

Speaking of Clinton's impressive PR chops in terms of picking up Sanders supporters:

https://twitter.com/CarlBeijer/status/727128918336131074

It's a good idea to use a culturally updated version of McCarthyism to poo poo on Sanders supporters so they will "become pragmatic" and see reason.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Bip Roberts posted:

No need to meltdown because abuela is slinging some sick shade.

It's a good thing that a shape shifting centrist promising a caretaker-at-best presidency that considers trying for anything ambitious "too hard" is using republican attacks to justify a platform that uses diversity as a cudgel to crush dissent and give a weak appearance of progressivism.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Neremworld posted:

"Surrogate" does not mean "supporter".

You have defeated me. Your logic is infallible. I will say matei.

edit: what was the point of that post?

empireofcrime has issued a correction as of 15:39 on May 2, 2016

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

So this is how a pragmatic progressive fundraises?

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeneps/status/727170463814836224

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Was the Sanders thread gassed again?

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

Lord of Pie posted:

nah, they moved it to the mod forum or something

now those 30 posts will sit there unread forever :devil:

So do we just start another thread or...?

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

So the other thread is kaput?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

SneakyFrog posted:

Since we dont have a cool kids clubhouse anymore i will just say morning thread to this thread instead of the old cool one. :smith:

Yeah not sure really where I'd want to post aside from maybe this thread and one other one. The rest seems to be a sea of DaDs.

• Locked thread