Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Classic Comrade posted:

A progressive platform needs more than a president or a figurehead. Considering the fact that the two likely nominees for the general election are centrist (leaning right on economics) and right-wing, respectively, getting people into the congress and senate who want to act boldly on things like campaign finance reform, criminal justice reform, climate, universal healthcare, not-terrifying foreign policy, a 15$ minimum wage, etc. is even more important. We need as many people as we possibly can in order to push back against right-wing ideas and bring forth progressive ones!!!

So do you know anyone cool & good in your state that's running for office? Do you wanna talk about your local politics? Do you want to donate to cool and good candidates? Then you've got a home here!

Here are some examples, to start things off. You can assume that all these ppl support the things I listed above.

Tim Canova

#FeelTheBald
Besides looking like Rick Scott's good twin, Tim Canova is running against Debbie Wasserman "grassroots activists suck but payday lenders are good" Schultz in Florida for a seat in congress! He's been endorsed by the CWA and NNU so that's pretty cool. You can give him a couple bux here.

Lucy Flores

She's a member of the Nevada state assembly, now she's running for congress! i also hear she packs a mean right hook. learn more about her and donate here

Pramila Jayapal

She's running for congress in Washington state after being a state senator for a year and an immigration activist since 2001 (even being recognized by the white house as a "champion of change" in that area)! Help her out and learn more about her here!

Jamie Raskin

the look of a man who doesn't give a hot gay gently caress what congress says
He won Maryland's primary (for congress)!! yay!!! if this pic tells you anything, he definitely threw a good party after the fact. but he still has to beat the republican. you know what to do.

Zephyr Rain Teachout

this lady, who has an awesome name most certainly bestowed upon her by hippie parents (and equally awesome hair), ran for NY governor and is now running for congress! help a :krad: candidate out and donate!

(final notes: longer descriptions forthcoming maybe. extra suggestions for cool and good candidates to feature here, always welcome. as for a certain senator from vermont, keep references brief till he announces his '18 run. maybe. something like that. i dunno. whatever. whisper his name, into the wind.....)

MyIGF
He is so loving awesome, brings such energy and vision. Give him some loving money, please! Now! Today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

hemophilia posted:

We need more people! More! Challenge every seat!! More challengers! We need every moderate or conservative or merely corrupt democrat to be loving afraid!!

I agree. Come to Minnesota and I will run you for something. Yes we can win, together for tomorrow, candidates come and go, the party is eternal.

There ain't no party like the Democratic Party because the party don't stop the party never stops.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Classic Comrade posted:

do u have a website

forum.somethingoffal.com

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Uncle Wemus posted:

Anyone good in minnesota? Other than Keith Ellison

MyIGF
The Awful Progressive

No but loving seriously if I had PM's I'd talk to you in a shitload more detail.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fast Luck posted:

What does CCCC mean

Democratic Congressional Campain Committee

They're the dudes you pay your dues to, in exchange for access to the bunker to make some gently caress'n dials for $$$

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fade5 posted:

I'd love to see Henry Cuellar get primaried. The dude is basically the definition of a Blue-Dog Democrat, and his seat is safe D as hell (it's literally east of San Antonio down to Laredo/Rio Grande City on the Rio Grande) so there's no risk it would ever flip to a Republican:

Sometimes, fade5, you know just enough to make yourself dangerous.

You gently caress'n think the district would exist if it weren't held by a blue dog? gently caress no, R's would loving ratfuck it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Classic Comrade posted:

i don't think he ever like super-openly endorsed sestak tho

like he never asked ppl to give him :10bux: or anything

hoagie, torpedo, or sammich?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Classic Comrade posted:

nope. the only three that got an e-mail so far were zephyr, lucy, and pramila.

zephyr? more like hindenburg.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
yum

$19 at the waldorf-astoria

progressive

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Uncle Wemus posted:

Which office are you running for here?

the one that makes Minnesota great again, eh?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Concerned Citizen posted:

this is my favorite progressive, chicago mayor rahm emanuel. he's for affordable healthcare, good schools, and he has worked very hard over his life to elect progressives all over this country. i hope everyone will donate money to re-elect him for a 3rd term

Rahm Emanuel faught harder for public healthcare than anyone else in the Obama administration.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Horrible posted:

This sounds really cool, looking forward to a trip report.

I don't know anyone with power or connections in this area so I'm just an outside agitator. v:kiddo:v I'll be curious to see how much overlap there is in successful strategies when it comes to in-group/out-group political action.

If you advocate for progressive policies, such as environmental justice, in such a manner which makes those with power and connections some money, then soon enough you'll be the one with power and connections.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Horrible posted:

But then I wouldn't be a progressive, just another dogshit liberal pretending to be one. :angel:

If the policies you advocate reduce health and income disparities --- and actually get enacted --- why the gently caress do you give a poo poo about someone making money in the process?

Seems you have internalized white guilt into a totalitarian mindset on outcome attainment.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Before we get into a nuke hard on fest, it's not really economically or environmentaly sound because solar is becoming cheaper and wind already is in some parts of the country. A wind turbine at worst can fall down, a nuclear plant requires vigilance and a lot of people to keep running.

Fusion is probably the nuclear boat we should look into because it's safer and makes way more power.

How the gently caress you store solar power for night, you fuckwit? Nuclear is the only loving sustainable, viable, and actionable energy generation policy which advances the cause of environmental justice.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mo_Steel posted:

Eh, I doubt it'll be that bad. Consider 2012:

Hillary should probably keep most of that minority chunk and may pull in additional women, which is clearly the gender saving us from Republican hell.

Guess what, Democrats weren't gonna win white male millenials anyways so why the gently caress should we pander to those Republicans when we can work to build an even stronger party organization?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mo_Steel posted:

Eh, I doubt it'll be that bad. Consider 2012:

Hillary should probably keep most of that minority chunk and may pull in additional women, which is clearly the gender saving us from Republican hell.

If either of the candidates proposed replacing all our baseline power sources of coal and oil with nuclear I'd vote for them with no hesitation. Including Trump. It's that big of a deal to me, that it seems obvious Nuclear is the best immediate method of confronting climate change seriously.

I support phase-out of carcinogenic-emitting and point of origin for cancer cluster generation capacity, to be replaced with generation capacity which don't loving cause cancer clusters to cost the taxpayers of this state hundreds of millions per year in otherwise preventable healthcare expenditures.

Whether this means an unknown mixture of nuclear, biochar, solar, wind --- I don't give a poo poo the exact ratio, let's save the taxpayers some loving money by doing energy generation right.

You say nuclear, I see environmental justice resulting in long-term savings for taxpayers. Let's get this poo poo done and bring some gently caress'n nuclear generation capacity to this region. If we had the plants, we'd have the power.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Hey yall without any engineering background do you know at all how much it costs to run, construct, and maintain any nuclear reactor?

Solar panels are getting super cheap, battery storage tech is near breakthrough right now, and wind is even cheaper in some parts of the US. yall can dream of nuclear reactors but their affordability window has passed, to the point solar is cheaper to produce now than nuclear per KW.

Costs a shitload less than spending on healthcare, I tell you what. Quit being such a goddamn hippie and join me in advocating for the nuclear approach to environmental issues.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Smoremaster posted:

it's kinda cute that MIGF followed us here, poor man must be so lonely

just you wait

just you wait to see my latest cards

just you loving wait

They are the most progressive cards I think anyone could ever have gotten printed. Yardsigns don't vote; cards, do.

Also more nukes, more money.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Is there a good alternative to gerrymandering

Democratic supermajorities.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Concerned Citizen posted:

THIS ALREADY EXISTS

ITS CALLED THE MOTHERFUCKING FARMERS LEAGUE (MFL)

my mfl brings all the registered voters to the polls
drat right, better party than yours
could teach you and I'd have to consult
drat right, better party than yours

Can you loving believe that a fucker from New Hampshire can sweep in for one loving cycle, gently caress poo poo up and eliminate an entire fuckig railroad we arranged funding for, before loving off to live the Hastertesque dream?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

NumberLast posted:

I can't figure out what your position is. What do you suggest be done?

NumberLast posted:

Pick a member of Democratic leadership

MyIGF

He may not be the progressive you want; he's the progressive you deserve.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

m'eh

not impressed. I could do better.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ThndrShk2k posted:

Prove it

I'll buy you a sammich as big as 2 babies

Purchase me PM's, establish a rapport with me. and see that I am the motherfucking real deal young-gun progressive who gonna get nationwide HSR loving built chooochoooo motherfuckers

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ThndrShk2k posted:

Dude, I don't even have PM's either. You expect me to buy it for you?

:saddowns: no free lunch for you

Although keep on with the train stuff, add fiber utility lines to it and you'll be like 60% good and 40% cool.

gently caress fiber utility lines

I want LEO access thats affordable on a household income for a family of 4.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Condiv posted:

i thought this was high speed rail, not a space elevator

If you make the rails high enough speed, what cha think gonna happen? If roller coast tycoon is anything to go by, affordable LEO access!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

NumberLast posted:

Some of the largest coasters are about 120 meters tall (we'll call that ~150 m barrel length)

In order to leave Earth's orbit you need to hit about 1100 meters per second.

We'll call 5 g's the maximum 'acceptable' acceleration.

If we need to hit 11000 m/s in 150 m that means we need to come up to speed in an average of .015 seconds putting us at a roller coast car full of very dead humans.

This isn't the velocity needed to reach LEO which is probably a lot lower but that poo poo would require a bunch of math with trajectories and gravity and I really don't feel like doing that. :v:

e: Oh huh it was easier to find than I thought. 7800 m/s in 150 m gives us about .02 seconds.

Yes, I should be doing integrals on the acceleration to actually find velocity. No I'm not going to do it I'm lazy. The numbers are so extreme that I can tell you right now that using a roller coaster to launch people into LEO will in fact kill them.

What about 11000 m/s over 11km?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I've also learned that by IRL being a more compassionate person that listens while also making a point and keeping a positive attitude it gets you way farther than being a cynical pedant that argues about everything

also makes life way more enjoyable

The key is to be a cynical progressive pedant only about winning gently caress'n votes, and a compassionate conservative at all other times.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I am gonna save American steel god loving damnit. Are you with me, or are you Canadian?

Sic Sempter Canada

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Classic Comrade posted:

those guys existed in the bernie thread anyway tho??

plus, like... this was never supposed to be a bernie-centric thread. all the old people are together again in it and some bernie talk is fine obviously, but it was/is supposed to be for other cool and good people and ideas re: what we can do on the local level.

ps- i don't wanna make this a meme-less no-fun-allowed thread, tho. D:

Does it make me gently caress'n stylin or what for ordering small-batch custom-ink'd letterpress'd business cards from an independent owner/operator of a social impact enterprise?

Like how much more gently caress'n progressive can I get in ordering my $2.34/card business cards?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

net work error posted:

If I can vote for Tim Canova in November I think I will.

One vote changes nothing.

How many votes will you deliver by November?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

net work error posted:

I'm going to vote 7 times actually.

You loving idiot, rise up and contribute something lasting. Candidates come and go; my Democratic party is eternal.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

This is v. bad. In-district contributors is a vrry loving accurate proxy for grassroots support.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Error 404 posted:

MIGF- 2012: why don't you run progressives and vote for them?
2016: you little shits.jpg

MIGF 2018: "You little shits need to get off your rear end and take the silver spoons from theys mouths. Taxcuts, taxcuts, taxcuts is all he says. How do taxcuts reduce rates of cancer? How do taxcuts reduce the expenditure of public programs? Taxcuts are one policy option, one of many, yet the only one Mr. Silverspoon seems to know. I think its 'cause all he knows to do is complain, complain about the taxman rather than get off his rear end and work.

That's what cha get when you're born with an off-shore trust fund.

He'll say hes worked --- how much growth has he made? What has he ever done to innovate? I see strength --- so much goddamn strength in this region, while he just sees y'all as a buncha poor, indebted folk in need of a taxcut handout.

I know you don't need handouts; what this region could use is a vision, leadership, and coordination in reaching it. Taxcuts aren't a vision, they are a handout. Taxcuts do not leverage the strengths of this region to grow the tax base. There is only one candidate in this race with a record of innovation. If I could accomplish regional growth and development in East Africa, I can do it here. While my opponent sees y'all as resource-poor as the folk I've worked with in Uganda, I see so much potential that it almost sickens me that someone sees you as so poor. Grow the gently caress'n economic base with innovation. Taxcuts are not innovation, they're what Mr. Silverspooners have been say'n since Caesar dared charge 'em on the booties of war.

Innovate this region with me, and we will win the new American century. You want entitlements, you go for taxcuts with Mr. Silverspoon."

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Audit all the student donors to Sanders to ensure federal funds are not being misused.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

hemophilia posted:

i would not vote for you

Federal funds should not be misused.

If that is a position you disagree with, then I don't know what to say. Perhaps you are better suited to politics somewhere in Europe, and not America.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

can't they just do what the GOP does and just have elected officials act as political device drivers for shadowy ALEC groups to enact legislation

This is why staff are so loving powerful. The candidates may continually change; the staff are eternal.

You wanna see progressive policies, become a highly qualified individual and get hired.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

My Imaginary GF posted:

This is why staff are so loving powerful. The candidates may continually change; the staff are eternal.

You wanna see progressive policies, become a highly qualified individual and get hired.

Alternatively, sleep with more elected's to show just how qualified you are.

One should always sleep with local level politicians who care about the issues and are willing to approach anyone to make the area better.

Hokey as it sounds, when someone asks 'How would you make this area better?,' they want an answer, and a conversation.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

NumberLast posted:

So basically you want to establish a baseline of progressive politics that doesn't include immediate action on reversing climate change.

I...Understand what you're saying but if people buying elections is your house being on fire, climate change is the dam bursting a few miles down the road. It doesn't seem like a problem when we're looking at the fire, but it's going to kill us soon no matter where we go.

Your house is on fire, and the dam done burst. gently caress your house and take your money to the high ground. Fire gonna be put out in due time; your money may be swept away if you keep focusing on the fire.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

NumberLast posted:

You've lost the metaphor, friend :)

Your house is on fire, and a wall of water is on its way to put it out. As long as you stand on the high ground and avoid getting wet yourself, I fail to see how nature taking care of the fire in your house for you is not a win-win.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

hemophilia posted:

I see where you're coming from but we've been screaming that the house is on fire and the dam's gonna burst for a while now and I see a chance to get people to take the claims seriously but I also don't want to alienate people who are more amenable to addressing it than what we currently have, due to a lack of purity.

Won't the fire be taken care of when the dam bursts? Sounds like you're mad that folk are listening to you about the house being on fire, and the fire is gonna be solved when the levy breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

NumberLast posted:

It's not about making a principled stand. It's about taking a totally pragmatic, realistic stand of if we don't do something now, poo poo's gonna get really, really bad.

Bad for fire, good for hills.

In case you haven't caught on, I am anti-fire and pro-Hill.

• Locked thread